[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue Injured?  (Read 10234 times)

mrcub628

• Walk-On
Vander Blue Injured?
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up. But is their something wrong with Vander?

The last 2 games he has gone a combined 1-10 for a total of 6 points. Is he loosing his mojo just like last season?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Vander Blue Injured?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »
Are you implying his mojo was too tight?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
He certainly didn't have it last night.  There were several times in the 2nd half with Wilson at the 1 and Blue on the court it was like playing 3 on 5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
He had a pretty decent game against LSU despite the poor shooting.  He was the second leading rebounder with 6, lead in assists with 3 (!!!) and had no turnovers.  Plus defensively he was pretty good.

Yesterday...not so much.  Work in progress.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
It's pretty simple, go back and look at the way he scores his points. I'd be willing to bet 75% of his points come in transition. Same as last year, he can't score in the half court. Look at his stats vs. the top 100 teams according to Kenpom, it's not pretty.

It was nice to see him at least attempt a pull-up jumper last night, if he develops that it'll help. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm fully prepared for a marginal season by vander.

mrcub628

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
Good points.

Do you think Todd should get more minutes then Vander due to his scoring ability.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »
Good points.

Do you think Todd should get more minutes then Vander due to his scoring ability.

They played the exact number of minutes last night and Mayo had 4 points to Vander's 2.  I think the word is out on him a little right now.

And Vander's shooting percentages are higher than Mayo too.  Yeah a lot of that is due to transition, but defenses have seemed to figure him out right now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:47:26 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »
It's pretty simple, go back and look at the way he scores his points. I'd be willing to bet 75% of his points come in transition. Same as last year, he can't score in the half court. Look at his stats vs. the top 100 teams according to Kenpom, it's not pretty.

It was nice to see him at least attempt a pull-up jumper last night, if he develops that it'll help. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm fully prepared for a marginal season by vander.

Offensively yes.  The difference between this year's Vander and last year's, is that this year he is doing a lot of other things like rebounding his position, defending, and dishing out some assists.  He's just needs to cut down on the turnovers.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
They played the exact number of minutes last night and Mayo had 4 points to Vander's 2.  I think the word is out on him a little right now.

And Vander's shooting percentages are higher than Mayo too.  Yeah a lot of that is due to transition, but defenses have seemed to figure him out right now.

Mayo is a FAR more polished offensive player than Vander, which I think we all can agree on.  Vander's scored probably 85% of his points on dunks and layups.  Mayo has a full arsenal for an offensive game.  There is nothing Vander does better offensively than Mayo, and I'm not convinced Vander is that much of a better defender than Todd either. 

I am encouraged with Vander's shooting, though, as it appears much improved over last year.  He's looking great at the FT line and almost everyone of his outside shots seems to rattle in and out...they are right on target, including the pull up off the dribble - which was nice to see last night.

I don't feel defenses have "figured" Todd out for the last 2 games - but more, that Todd has just had 2 off games. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up. But is their something wrong with Vander?

The last 2 games he has gone a combined 1-10 for a total of 6 points. Is he loosing his mojo just like last season?

Likely.

The day of the UWM game, he tweeted that he had spent time with the trainer the night before.

I think he's held back by something.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »

Offensively yes.  The difference between this year's Vander and last year's, is that this year he is doing a lot of other things like rebounding his position, defending, and dishing out some assists.  He's just needs to cut down on the turnovers.

Read this a lot and its simply not true, based purely on stats. Pre conference Vander last year he averaged over 10 points, over 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. This year the stats are almost identical 10.4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists. Through 12 games last year he had 24 turnovers as opposed to this years 26! You could argue this years non-conference schedule is more difficult, which is true....but he's shot 10-33 against the 4 top 100 opponents this year.

I see little improvement, he can't shoot and has trouble finishing in traffic. He played good defense last year and rebounded just as well.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
Has anybody commented on J Wilson? I thought he played his best game as a Warrior last night. Great to see.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:39:22 AM »
The improvement I see is in his deceision making. I do think he will still struggle against Big East teams. He misses shots because he tries to avoid fouls on drives. He needs to get stronger so he cAN take the HIT.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »
We will have to see on vander. The next month will show. PRN the first part of the second half shows that jamil might be "awakening."  Ners defenses are closing out better on mayo and clogging his driving lanes. That wasn't happening earlier.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
Vander is excellent in transition but extremely tentative in the halfcourt game. He is very lucky to have chosen MU and not Wisky.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »
Thoughts on all three:

Vander's decision making is better and I love his D.  He needs to continue to get to the rim and he needs to learn how to take the foul in the process so he can get to the line more.

J. Wilson is developing confidence at both ends of the floor.  I think back to the games in November and I was wondering if he'd meaningfully contribute this year.  He's a ver athletic guy who can cause the opponent problems.

Mayo.  Other teams now gameplan for him to a certain extent and understand that he not just some Frosh.  He'll be fine this year and our starting 2 guard next.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
Likely.

The day of the UWM game, he tweeted that he had spent time with the trainer the night before.

I think he's held back by something.

He was grimacing several times when he came off the floor.  Buzz got the attention of one of the officials to stop play to get Vander off the court one series when he was hurting.  I didn't think he was moving smoothly. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »
Was it Vander or Todd that caught a hard screen (in the back) beyond the three in the second half?

I remember seeing the MU player wince and reach for his back.

I'm thinking it was Todd, but it could have been Blue.
SS Marquette

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
Thinking Blue is going to surprise some of you, particularly the ones writing off his entire sophomore season 12 games into pre-con play as being "marginal". Unreal. He's a completely different player this year. His confidence alone is boosting his game. Every single one of the guys has had a bad game or two. Blue's off games aren't any worse than anyone else's.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »
Thinking Blue is going to surprise some of you, particularly the ones writing off his entire sophomore season 12 games into pre-con play as being "marginal". Unreal. He's a completely different player this year. His confidence alone is boosting his game. Every single one of the guys has had a bad game or two. Blue's off games aren't any worse than anyone else's.
I agree he's much improved in that he's not forcing things like last year. But if you think he's confident with the ball you're watching a different player than I am.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
I agree he's much improved in that he's not forcing things like last year. But if you think he's confident with the ball you're watching a different player than I am.

Think he's more confident on the floor in general. I disagree with you in the forcing things - the times that he does is when he seems to regress to his freshman play. Freshman Vander caves at the Kohl Center. Sophomore Vander had a great game.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »
Was it Vander or Todd that caught a hard screen (in the back) beyond the three in the second half?

I remember seeing the MU player wince and reach for his back.

I'm thinking it was Todd, but it could have been Blue.
That was Mayo.

Vander came out after a TO fast break basket.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
Think he's more confident on the floor in general. I disagree with you in the forcing things - the times that he does is when he seems to regress to his freshman play. Freshman Vander caves at the Kohl Center. Sophomore Vander had a great game.

If you think 4-14 shooting is a great game then you're right. Unreal.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »

9 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
If all you focus on is one stat line, then you really do not understand basketball.  Unreal.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
That's my point. A "good game" from vander blue is when he rebounds well. It's not difficult to score 9 points when you play 33 minutes and shoot 14 times. In fact if DJO or crowder did it there would be threads ripping them apart.

He had games last year where he rebounded the ball 9 times and you guys said he'd be a pro player after this year. He might be good by his senior season, but to consider him more than a marginal player right now is generous.

For the record I'm not focusing on one line. Go back and read my posts, he actually has more turnOvers through 12 games this year vs. last. His shooting percentage is down as well and all his other stats are very similar. I know it's hard for many of you to accept, but it's abhor work in progress.

As much as everyone thinks I'm a vander hater I'm not, just being objective and factual.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
9 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block.

And he shut down every player he guarded...Taylor, Brust, Bruesewitz, Gasser.  And he got in Taylor's head early.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
He had games last year where he rebounded the ball 9 times and you guys said he'd be a pro player after this year.

He only reached that total once last year...against Centennary.

As much as everyone thinks I'm a vander hater I'm not, just being objective and factual.

I don't think you are a Vander hater.  I just think you fixate way too much on shooting and scoring and don't have a full understanding of what he brings when he is on the floor.  Your best defensive player isn't "marginal."  A guard who rebounds like that isn't "marginal."  We rip on DJO when he shoots like Vander, but he doesn't do the other things nearly as well.  He's not a great defender nor does he rebound his position really well.

We don't beat Wisconsin without Vander Blue on the floor - that isn't a "marginal" contribution.  If you don't understand that, then you simply don't understand the game.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
That's my point. A "good game" from vander blue is when he rebounds well. It's not difficult to score 9 points when you play 33 minutes and shoot 14 times. In fact if DJO or crowder did it there would be threads ripping them apart.

He had games last year where he rebounded the ball 9 times and you guys said he'd be a pro player after this year. He might be good by his senior season, but to consider him more than a marginal player right now is generous.

For the record I'm not focusing on one line. Go back and read my posts, he actually has more turnOvers through 12 games this year vs. last. His shooting percentage is down as well and all his other stats are very similar. I know it's hard for many of you to accept, but it's abhor work in progress.

You focus on offense, specifically scoring.  That is the point.  I don't really believe you understand what each player brings to the game outside of scoring.  Your comment of Vander to DJO and Crowder exemplify that point.  Your posts indicate that lack of understanding of the complete game.

I would be interested in all those games where Vander had 9 rebounds last year.  You sure about that?  As for the sweeping generalization of "you guys said he'd be a pro player after this year.", show me where I said that.  Give me the evidence of the preponderance of posters making that claim.  I will help you, it is not there.

As for your objectivity and factuality, well that is also open for debate. Just because you think so does not make it such.  You need to understand the purpose of each player on the team, their contributions, strengths, weaknesses ... you have not demonstrated this capacity.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

He only reached that total once last year...against Centennary.

I don't think you are a Vander hater.  I just think you fixate way too much on shooting and scoring and don't have a full understanding of what he brings when he is on the floor.  Your best defensive player isn't "marginal."  A guard who rebounds like that isn't "marginal."  We rip on DJO when he shoots like Vander, but he doesn't do the other things nearly as well.  He's not a great defender nor does he rebound his position really well.

We don't beat Wisconsin without Vander Blue on the floor - that isn't a "marginal" contribution.  If you don't understand that, then you simply don't understand the game.

He had 8 rebounds vs. Wisconsin last year Wayne.

I have a pretty good understanding of what he brings to the floor, I haven't seen him shut down a player. He's a nice defender but he played the same defense last year. He also rebounds his position pretty well, according to Kenpom his rebounding efficiency is pretty close to DJO and Mayo. If all other MU position players can score you can get away with having a player in for defensive purposes only. But with Junior and Otule being on the floor a lot during Conference play they won't have that luxury. Hopefully Mayo and Wilson continue to improve so Marquette can be more successful than last year. I don't think Mayo is good enough to take his minutes quite yet, but to stay on topic of the thread, I doubt it's an injury...the same decline in production happened to Blue last year when tougher competition arrived. Hopefully I'm wrong and Blue starts tearing it up, if he could offer even average offensive production Marquette could be really good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
He had 8 rebounds vs. Wisconsin last year Wayne.

No he didn't.  He had three.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51393/year/2011/vander-blue

I have a pretty good understanding of what he brings to the floor, I haven't seen him shut down a player.

Then you either haven't been watching, or have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't know what else to say.  You obviously aren't seeing what others are seeing.  Including Buzz.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

#1 Why arent you ripping Jamail or even Jamil? They have been worse than Vander, and they are the same age or older.

#2 Jamail and Jamil are marginal players right now. Vander is a solid soph.  

#3 Who ever said Vander would be in the draft after his soph. year? Those people were clearly nuts.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
You focus on offense, specifically scoring.  That is the point.  I don't really believe you understand what each player brings to the game outside of scoring.  Your comment of Vander to DJO and Crowder exemplify that point.  Your posts indicate that lack of understanding of the complete game.

I would be interested in all those games where Vander had 9 rebounds last year.  You sure about that?  As for the sweeping generalization of "you guys said he'd be a pro player after this year.", show me where I said that.  Give me the evidence of the preponderance of posters making that claim.  I will help you, it is not there.

As for your objectivity and factuality, well that is also open for debate. Just because you think so does not make it such.  You need to understand the purpose of each player on the team, their contributions, strengths, weaknesses ... you have not demonstrated this capacity.

Mac, chill bud. How does that describe a lack of understanding? The thread name is "vander blue injured?", and my comments followed. My point was people rip DJO or Crowder without wondering if they're ill, injured etc. When vander does it they question, and they questioned with OFFENSIVE statistics. My point was expect this decline in OFFENSIVE production.

His strengths/weaknesses aren't much different than last year when we all saw his production completely fall off vs. stiff competition. Not sure how I demonstrate the capacity other than taking a wait and see approach, we'll see in the coming weeks if he has indeed improved.

I'm not going to go back through the threads and see who claimed he'd be an early exit, but I can assure you it was said.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »

I'm not going to go back through the threads and see who claimed he'd be an early exit, but I can assure you it was said.

Then it seems to me you are arguing against nobody.

The rest of us are seeing Vander for who he is, a solid soph with good upside.

Nobody has claimed otherwise.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
i think defenses have figured out DJO and he will struggle now that pre-con is over..

please people dont be so dumb...sometimes guys have really tough matchups or have off nights where they dont play well.
Every is not so black or white!!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Mac, chill bud. How does that describe a lack of understanding? The thread name is "vander blue injured?", and my comments followed. My point was people rip DJO or Crowder without wondering if they're ill, injured etc. When vander does it they question, and they questioned with OFFENSIVE statistics. My point was expect this decline in OFFENSIVE production.

His strengths/weaknesses aren't much different than last year when we all saw his production completely fall off vs. stiff competition. Not sure how I demonstrate the capacity other than taking a wait and see approach, we'll see in the coming weeks if he has indeed improved.

Chill?  No need to, frankly, but thanks for the sentiments.

Your lack of understanding is clear and has been pointed out by Sultan and I.  You have focused on one area, and one area only.  Yes, that is a lack of understanding of the whole game.  Your retort to the "great game" comment was focused on one stat line.  One only.  Understand?

I never said that "no one" claimed he would be an early exit.  Your post certainly was a more broad and sweeping generalization.  Thus, my comment.  I trust you understand "preponderance"?

Anyway, I am done with this.  Off to Christmas Mass.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
Vander is a work in progress.  His athleticism is undeniable and when he learns to use it wisely (see driving into 3 defenders, jumping and hoping to find an open man) he could really be special.   His ft stroke looks 100% better than last year.  His defense and rebounding is outstanding and he is learning on the assist importance.   The dude is a soph and very talented....give him more time and less sh#t.

But....not...he is not NBA material at this point.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
Vander misses having Otule. More pressure for him to get rebounds versus getting break aways.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »

Can you really, or did someone maybe just say it was a possibility that he could be an early exit? Because I know within the past week or so I mentioned that it wasn't unthinkable. Didn't say it was likely. Didn't say it was a good idea. And most definitely didn't say it was going to happen. Just said it was possible.

Why do I have a feeling that you are taking one off-the-cuff possibility statement and running with it as though 99% of the board was stating it as documented, already-set-in-stone fact?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
MuMac is really serious.  It shows from his playing days at MU.  Vander is very athletic.  He is very good when he finishes strong.  He needs to make every play count.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
Chill?  No need to, frankly, but thanks for the sentiments.

Your lack of understanding is clear and has been pointed out by Sultan and I.  You have focused on one area, and one area only.  Yes, that is a lack of understanding of the whole game.  Your retort to the "great game" comment was focused on one stat line.  One only.  Understand?

I never said that "no one" claimed he would be an early exit.  Your post certainly was a more broad and sweeping generalization.  Thus, my comment.  I trust you understand "preponderance"?

Anyway, I am done with this.  Off to Christmas Mass.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Well if you and Sultan say so it must be true, if it's not just keep repeating the statement until it becomes true. I'm sorry you even have to stoop to these levels to discuss someone else's opinion that is so obviously false.

But for sh*ts and giggles check this. 2011 Vander stats through 12 games: 27 MIN; 10.25 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.83 steals, 2.16 turnovers....2012 stats through 12 games: 28 minutes, 10.2 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.91 steals, 2.25 turnovers. Pretty crazy how similar they are.

Now take the top 100 teams (according to kenpom) they faced pre-conference last year (4 games) vs. the top 100 teams they faced pre-conference this year (5 games). 2011: 9-26 shooting - 34%, 6.5 points, 3 rebs., 2 assists, 1.3 TO..... 2012: 14-42 shooting - 33% , 7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.8 turnovers. I use these stats because last year it was a precursor for things to come, it may be the case this year as well.

As for his defense, it seems to me Vander was widely considered our top defender last season and the reason why Buzz and most fans supported his minutes. Yet when conference play started, even though he posted the same numbers as this year, he averaged 15 minutes per game and saw his production drop off significantly. So you can rip me for no basketball knowledge but Buzz played him 14 minItes in the first two rounds for the tournament, the most important and competitive games they played this year. it was only 9 months ago! I doubt his minutes will drop off that badly because his competition for minutes are underclassmen and not a senior, but I'm not expecting big things from Vander in Conference play this year.

Based on this I think it's reasonable to at least earn your acknowledgement of the argument. It's obvious you and Sultan own a superior view of basketball that I hope to one day ascertain; but for now I'll rely on stats, historical outcomes, and my esoteric approach to player evaluation to formulate opinions.

Merry Christmas to all as well, hope mass went well....my time with baby Jesus is in 12 short hours.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
MuMac is really serious.  It shows from his playing days at MU.  Vander is very athletic.  He is very good when he finishes strong.  He needs to make every play count.

I like it! solid discussion and I agree with everything you say....just might not happen until next year.

Murffieus 1

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
My old buddy ecompt is 100% correct-----Blue excels in the transition game, but doesn't have a half court game. The last two games have been essentially half court contests.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
Expectations can be a killer. At the end of the day, he came in as a 5 star. Those type of players have the expectations where they will contribute on both ends of the court. He has only been effective on defense. The disappointing thing is that his offensive game is no where close to where is needs to be. DJO came in and he showed a great jumper and flashes of the ability to make great plays on offense. And year after year, he has made improvements to his game which now shows as a finished product on offense. This usually follows the same for many players. You see certain good things and you watch them get better and expand their skill set.

For Blue, people comment on great rebounding and other things but his offensive skill set is so underdeveloped that I am not sure how things will turn out. People mention the "confidence" he now has. All that is is that he is more prone to put the ball on the floor and drive. His ability to finish and decision making is still behind.

At the end of the day, the expectations are for Blue to become a star and not just a role player (a player that simply rebounds and plays good defense). I am not seeing progress in his skill set. Anything can happen, but he is going to have to be the exception and not the rule where he comes out next year and something clicks where he becomes a better shooter, driver, and decision maker.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
I think Vander's jumper has looked much better this year. I know the percentage isn't hugely better, but he has a lot more in-and-outs than the simple clanking bricks we were seeing last year. Anyone who doesn't see that he's not the same player this year must not be watching very closely.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
I think Vander's jumper has looked much better this year. I know the percentage isn't hugely better, but he has a lot more in-and-outs than the simple clanking bricks we were seeing last year. Anyone who doesn't see that he's not the same player this year must not be watching very closely.

He is better when he is square.  His shot looks smoother and more comfortable, as well.  When he gets in trouble is when he is not square.  Sometimes he shoots more at an angle (body to hoop).  Also, sometimes he kicks his legs out.  Don't know where that habit is coming from, I don't recall it last year.  When he does that, I almost always feel he will miss.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »

Just because he is driving more often or shooting more often does not mean he is better. The problem is his results are the same. The same blown layups. The same weak drives. The same missed jumpers. The same 'caught in the air with nowhere to go' decisions.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
Just because he is driving more often or shooting more often does not mean he is better. The problem is his results are the same. The same blown layups. The same weak drives. The same missed jumpers. The same 'caught in the air with nowhere to go' decisions.

But, just as McNeal before him, you don't want him to stop.  Yes, it can be frustrating, but as he learns and develops, he will only be more of a weapon and difficult to stop.  He is still a VERY young sophomore.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
But, just as McNeal before him, you don't want him to stop.  Yes, it can be frustrating, but as he learns and develops, he will only be more of a weapon and difficult to stop.  He is still a VERY young sophomore.

I remember McNeal well and we saw big strides his sophomore year. He was finishing well and he had a solid 12 footer. His three point shot sucked but he was making big strides to the point that I thought he was our best player towards the end of the year. And I believe his wrist injury was the reason we made an early exit in the tourney.

I don't see Blue making any strides remotely close.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
Blue will never be the scorer McNeal was.  Blue is a better defender at this point in his career.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:45:30 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »
Blue will never be the scorer McNeal was.  Blue is a better defender at this point in his career.

Agreed.  My point on bringing up McNeal was the similar frustrations voiced from the many coaches in the stands about his play.  McNeal struggled finishing and did not have a good outside shot early in his career.  ErickJD08 commented that McNeal made big strides his sophomore season.  Not completely accurate.  He was still inconsistent offensively.  He was getting stronger, but not yet there, on his drives.  Especially when comparing to similar points in the season.

I am not saying Blue will be McNeal, but the fans who have given up on him or want him to stop driving are making a HUGE mistake.  I am just glad that Buzz does not see it their way. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

I feel like you read the first sentence I wrote and just spit out the same robotic response as ever. Maybe that's not the case, but you really seem to have quoted my (relatively short) post without giving it anything more than a cursory look.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
I feel like you read the first sentence I wrote and just spit out the same robotic response as ever. Maybe that's not the case, but you really seem to have quoted my (relatively short) post without giving it anything more than a cursory look.

I read your entire statement. You ended with something along the lines that he is a completely different player. In my eyes, making the same mistakes and missing the same shots is the same type of player. Just because he is making those mistakes more often doesn't make him a different player.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
Expectations can be a killer. At the end of the day, he came in as a 5 star. Those type of players have the expectations where they will contribute on both ends of the court.

See, this is the problem in my opinion.

Vander is a solid soph. with a lot of potential, but because some people had such high expectations, they are disappointed.

He's clearly the best soph. (and that includes Jamil), and probably has the most upside.

You need to forget all of the pre-MU stuff and look at who he actually is as a player.

Honestly, what Vander did before he played for MU and what he does after should have no effect oh how you view him while he plays at MU. 

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
He plays hard, and is a leader by example.The weaker parts of his game will come along with more minutes, like a solid mid-range jump shot and better choices he can make with the ball.

feedback