[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by Viper
[Today at 12:40:16 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: student section changes  (Read 10198 times)

5YearsatMU

• Starter
Re: student section changes
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 04:16:49 PM »
The ignorance of the students astounds me. 

Let you sit in the first 5 rows?  Another poster referenced seat donations, but with no amounts.  Want to sit courtside?  $5000, per seat, donation.  End of the court, courtside?  $3500 per seat.  First four rows courtside?  $2,750, per seat. 

And remember, in most cases, this isn't the only donation these people are making to the program.  These people help make MU a high major program.  Ever heard of the Coach's Compensation Fund? 

And one of the last posts, put the Al to use?  Are you kidding?  Have you EVER been in the south half of the building? Guess who paid for that?  Hint:  They don't pay $55 dollars a year for their season tickets. 

The MU basketball experience, as much as the students would like it to be, is not about pleasing them.  Travel to the preseason tournament, the Big East tournament or the NCAAs.  While there are surely students who make the trek, 95% of the fans are alums.  Guess who gets the best tickets? 

How many students, on there own, attended the Blue and Gold Auction?  They probably would have found it odd that Buzz knew the people bidding for the plane trip on a first name basis.  Why do you think he knew their names?  There are many alums who pay top dollar to be more connected to the program than Homer and Mac are.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
+1

I agree....and I would hate to have to sit next to 82fanatic.

Btw, how much money do u think Duke "loses" due to their student section? And where would u rather watch a game? Cameron Indoor or the BC?

Do you know what people would be saying on these boards if MU played at a place like Cameron Indoor?  I have been to games there.  Its like 100 degrees.  The ceiling drips on you.  You sit on wooden benches so close to the person next to you its awkward.  The concourses outside are like five feet wide so you can't even move.  Everyone who goes to those games knows that you have to use the bathroom before the game because if you try to go at halftime you miss the first ten minutes of the second half.  Oh, and try getting a beer.

BC is not a bad facility.  And as for the student section I was at the Syracuse / Georgetown game last night and the Georgetown students barely made a sound until the last five minutes.  I'd say 70% orange in the stands.

Could be worse.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
The multiple discussions about how the Students are unfairly treated is starting to sound like typical spoiled brats.  I could make a good sound argument that the alumni who have had season tickets for 20+ years, and come to majority of the games should not be moved back and farther away from the game so that students can sit closer to the floor.  The student section is taking up good seats that the university could sell for a lot more money. 

The majority of these kids education is paid by their parents.  The low cost of the student tickets are subsidized by the alumni season tickets and license fees.  None of this high quality basketball would exist without the $$$$$s from these alumni.  In fact your school would not exist with out these “nasty alumni” donations!!!!!

I am not complaining about the students, nor do I suggest things should change.  But if they are going to change, finances would dictate reduce the student seats in the lower bowl (loosing out on seat licenses).  Also, one may complain about certain games where alumni seats are empty, I would bet that the percentage of “student seats” that go unoccupied during the season is a higher than the percentage of “alumni seats”

To the students your school experience, and stop whining, you are not mistreated!

Wow. Get off my lawn!

BTW, gramps, I am paying for my own tuition.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
The ignorance of the students astounds me. 

Let you sit in the first 5 rows?  Another poster referenced seat donations, but with no amounts.  Want to sit courtside?  $5000, per seat, donation.  End of the court, courtside?  $3500 per seat.  First four rows courtside?  $2,750, per seat. 

And remember, in most cases, this isn't the only donation these people are making to the program.  These people help make MU a high major program.  Ever heard of the Coach's Compensation Fund? 

And one of the last posts, put the Al to use?  Are you kidding?  Have you EVER been in the south half of the building? Guess who paid for that?  Hint:  They don't pay $55 dollars a year for their season tickets. 

The MU basketball experience, as much as the students would like it to be, is not about pleasing them.  Travel to the preseason tournament, the Big East tournament or the NCAAs.  While there are surely students who make the trek, 95% of the fans are alums.  Guess who gets the best tickets? 

How many students, on there own, attended the Blue and Gold Auction?  They probably would have found it odd that Buzz knew the people bidding for the plane trip on a first name basis.  Why do you think he knew their names?  There are many alums who pay top dollar to be more connected to the program than Homer and Mac are.

Right, and it would kill all of the alumni to be sitting 25 feet back.  What a stupid argument.

Stand up, support your team.  If you want to sit, find a LAZY BOY in front of your TV.

I've always defended MU against people who say that the people there are snobs... maybe I was wrong.

If MU charged the same amount they do now for 5 rows back, do you really think everyone would boycott?

ridiculous.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
I didn't read every post but I agree with whomever agrees the "fans" who sit near the floor in their yellow sweater vests need to get off their asses and act like they actually want to be there.  If not, I'll give you my address and you can send me your floor seat tickets because I would love to have them...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
Right, and it would kill all of the alumni to be sitting 25 feet back.  What a stupid argument.

Stand up, support your team.  If you want to sit, find a LAZY BOY in front of your TV.

I've always defended MU against people who say that the people there are snobs... maybe I was wrong.

If MU charged the same amount they do now for 5 rows back, do you really think everyone would boycott?

ridiculous.

Thats why, as a recent alum I sit in row A of the 400s... 07 or 09 or something I forget. No worries about standing and a GREAT view. I bet my seats are at better angle and view that some of the last few rows of the 200s. And they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Spent most of my undergrad speculating how to to move more students to the lower bowl with out the expense of the alums while I was getting in line for games hours in advance. MY biggest qualm with the area is the fact that the tunnels on each end split the student section. I think that hurts the student section presence

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »

Spent most of my undergrad speculating how to to move more students to the lower bowl with out the expense of the alums while I was getting in line for games hours in advance. MY biggest qualm with the area is the fact that the tunnels on each end split the student section. I think that hurts the student section presence

This is exactly right. I was in the student section behind the band last night and unless it was just scream and jump like crazy time, it was hard to hear some of the chants. As a result, some students would start their own. That does not work.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
And of course, it's worth pointing out that MU isn't going to move on any kind of changes to the student section in any format until the student section starts getting jammed full for every single game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »
Wow. Get off my lawn!

BTW, gramps, I am paying for my own tuition.

This is the third time I've seen this type of response.  It's trash.  Students don't get those seats because they don't deserve them.  They don't pay for them.

You want MU basketball to be good into the future?  Then it is up to the administration to maximize the revenue.  They are going going to turn $3,500 seats (plus the appropriate donation) into $85 student tickets.

LON

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
Solution:  Let the students drink in line again.  We never complained about our seats during 2002-2003 because we could sit in line waiting for the BC to open (and make the mad dash) drinking keg beer housed in Ice Mountain refrigerator dispensers and whiskey from flasks.  Beat the hell out of hot cocoa.

EDIT:  I reference 2002-2003 because that's the last time I remember being able to do that in the open.  The year after they made us walk across the street.  Bastards.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
blender man's got it!!  they could very easily add seats to fill in the gaps, move the students closer to the floor, fill in that middle section behind the basket so when opposing teams are shooting free throws, some real distractions can be made.  put the students on both sides behind the baskets and closer to the floor.  bring them down out of the 2nd deck.  let the freeways of the world sit up there.  i have tix in the upper deck middle row 3 and love the perspective-want to get to row one mid 2nd  deck and i'll stay there until i'm pooping on myself ;D

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »

This is the third time I've seen this type of response.  It's trash.  Students don't get those seats because they don't deserve them.  They don't pay for them.

You want MU basketball to be good into the future?  Then it is up to the administration to maximize the revenue.  They are going going to turn $3,500 seats (plus the appropriate donation) into $85 student tickets.

Thanks for the classy, er, "trashy" response. If you could read, you'd note that I didn't disagree. I just took issue with his denunciation of the current student body and and any criticisms they might have. I'm sure as a school bureaucrat somewhere you also treasure your precious courtside seats as well. God forbid more people paying the salary for you type of people get closer to the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Thanks for the classy, er, "trashy" response. If you could read, you'd note that I didn't disagree. I just took issue with his denunciation of the current student body and and any criticisms they might have. I'm sure as a school bureaucrat somewhere you also treasure your precious courtside seats as well. God forbid more people paying the salary for you type of people get closer to the floor.

Actually, the school where I work has general admission so the students can sit as close to the floor as they wish.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »

From a business perspective you are absolutely right but I am always surprised by people who pay that much for the tickets and then sit the whole game without cheering.  I'm not saying it's everyone but it's certainly noticeable.  They paid for them so I guess that's their prerogative...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
From a business perspective you are absolutely right but I am always surprised by people who pay that much for the tickets and then sit the whole game without cheering.  I'm not saying it's everyone but it's certainly noticeable.  They paid for them so I guess that's their prerogative...

if i had the money and lived in milwaukee i would get tix right in the middle of that crap and stand all game long.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
if i had the money and lived in milwaukee i would get tix right in the middle of that crap and stand all game long.

I guess I'm getting to the "older alum" stage (1983 grad)--I'm in 226 row D and stood up for about half of the 2nd half of the Pitt game, along with most of the other alumni in that section.  I won't stand up for extended periods if no one else is up, but when the action heats up, our section pretty much is on its feet.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

It's not entirely about the money, it's also about how long they've held the tickets, too.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle