[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scotty C.  (Read 10212 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Scotty C.
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
A few months ago after a nice game against St. Mary's of the Blind a certain poster (chicos) stated he would have been a big asset to our team.  His toughness and smarts would help us along with his shooting when we saw zone as we "will in spades" he blathered on.  Well Scott has scored no more than one basket a game since the schedule has strengthened and his playing time is approaching single digit minutes.  LAst night against Texas he scored a grand total of 0 points with 2 fouls. 

Yes he was a Crean recruit so it only makes sense that certain disciples will defend him to all ends, my guess is those same people defend trend blackledge, Niv berkowitz, Mike Kinsella.... and the beat goes on. 

Sorry Charlie, but Scott christopherson cannot hold DJO or Buycks jock.  In fact he could not hold cubillan's or Ackers and was merely another massive whiff by Mr. 13-33

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Scotty C.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
13 and 33, is that all he is? Really going to mess up his career winning percentage. Better make enough scratch at IU since the next big gig may never come calling.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
Actually I didn't say that, but the lies continue from you. I never said "big asset", not even close.  Yes, I did say he's a smart and gritty kid, at least you got one thing right.

What I also said is that he could be a contributor (you took that as Big Asset...uhm, ok).  What I also said is he could be a change of pace guy and a spot up shooter.  I NEVER said he was better than DJO or Buycks or any of our guards.....in fact I clearly said he "wasn't as athletic as any of our guards."

Please, try again.

And yes, last night against the #1 team in the land he did not score, got a rebound and an assist and played 12 minutes.  He didn't score any points.....because he took no shots.  Funny how that works.  The other day against Duke he played 18 minutes and scored 3 points.

He's averaging 21 minutes per game, shooting 50% from 3 point land and averaging 7 points per game.  He's a role player and with our depth, I'd love to have a smart basketball playing role player on our team.

Here's what I actually said, I'll even post the links about SC.  Nothing to hide....and yes, I would love to have him on the team.

Enjoy

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16207.25

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16260.0

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16104.0

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
13 and 33, is that all he is? Really going to mess up his career winning percentage. Better make enough scratch at IU since the next big gig may never come calling.

That's ok, Hayward will send his kid to his camp anyway.  If not, Hayward can sit on his kid instead at home and pretend to be Majerus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
No dumping in towels allowed
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TJ

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
A few months ago after a nice game against St. Mary's of the Blind a certain poster (chicos) stated he would have been a big asset to our team.  His toughness and smarts would help us along with his shooting when we saw zone as we "will in spades" he blathered on.  Well Scott has scored no more than one basket a game since the schedule has strengthened and his playing time is approaching single digit minutes.  LAst night against Texas he scored a grand total of 0 points with 2 fouls.  

Yes he was a Crean recruit so it only makes sense that certain disciples will defend him to all ends, my guess is those same people defend trend blackledge, Niv berkowitz, Mike Kinsella.... and the beat goes on.  

Sorry Charlie, but Scott christopherson cannot hold DJO or Buycks jock.  In fact he could not hold cubillan's or Ackers and was merely another massive whiff by Mr. 13-33
I don't care who the recruiter is, if Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin wants to come to Marquette we're going to give him a scholarship 99% of the time.  It's too bad it didn't work out, but I don't think it was a mistake to offer SC, if only to keep up our repution recruiting within the state.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:44:17 PM by TJ »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »
A few months ago after a nice game against St. Mary's of the Blind a certain poster (chicos) stated he would have been a big asset to our team.  His toughness and smarts would help us along with his shooting when we saw zone as we "will in spades" he blathered on.  Well Scott has scored no more than one basket a game since the schedule has strengthened and his playing time is approaching single digit minutes.  LAst night against Texas he scored a grand total of 0 points with 2 fouls. 

Sorry Charlie, but Scott christopherson cannot hold DJO or Buycks jock.  In fact he could not hold cubillan's or Ackers and was merely another massive whiff by Mr. 13-33

I'm with you 120%.

But, I think you are actually letting Christopherson off lightly. You shouldn't just wait for him to have bad games and then rip him. You should drive to Ames, stab Christoperson in the face for being such a crappy basketball player and then send pictures to Chico's to let him know how serious you are that Christopherson is a terrible player who doesn't deserve to be on the planet earth.

This is earth, and we don't have room for crappy role players. Role players who shoot 50% from 3pt land should be stabbed with rusty blades and have their worthless bodies thrown in a ditch. 

Seriously. Do it Hayward.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »
A few months ago after a nice game against St. Mary's of the Blind a certain poster (chicos) stated he would have been a big asset to our team.  His toughness and smarts would help us along with his shooting when we saw zone as we "will in spades" he blathered on.  Well Scott has scored no more than one basket a game since the schedule has strengthened and his playing time is approaching single digit minutes.  LAst night against Texas he scored a grand total of 0 points with 2 fouls.  

Sorry Charlie, but Scott christopherson cannot hold DJO or Buycks jock.  In fact he could not hold cubillan's or Ackers and was merely another massive whiff by Mr. 13-33
This is one of the most off topic, stupid, and unnecessary posts I have ever seen.  Have you ever watched Iowa State play this year?  I highly doubt it.  My guess is you took a look at an Iowa State box score once or twice and then took a look at Scott's season stats.  Good job.

Having been good friends with Scott in his one year at Marquette I am anything but a Crean apologist.  I can't stand the guy, and I laugh every time I watch what looks like should be 4 walk-ons on the court at 1 time for Indiana.

That being said, having been at the Iowa State vs. Duke game in Chicago last week, Scott doesn't score when he's on the court because they have 1 of the best players in the Big 12 (and nation) and run EVERYTHING through him.  Their offense runs something like this EVERY time down the floor: Diante Garrett (or Marquis Gilstrap) bring the ball up, they spread the floor and the PG tries to take his defender one-on-one to the hoop.  When the help comes, they look to dump it off to Craig Brackins.  If the PG can't penetrate, they run a down screen for Brackins, pass him the ball, and let him go to work, creating (or forcing) his own shot.  They were 1 of the worst coached teams I have ever seen.  They had terrible shot selection (a ton of forces all coming from Garrett, Brackins, and Gilstrap), terrible passing (throwing the ball away and not even being close to their target), and then yell in each other's faces, all while McDermott allows his players to do this possession after possession without pulling them.  Scott (and anybody other than Garrett, Brackins, and Gilstrap) don't score because they don't touch the ball, ever.  Scott literally touched the ball 5 times in the entire Duke game, and that's how it is for all of their players other than their 3 main guys.  So yeah, of course he's going to score very few points with that type of opportunity.

When Scott did have the ball, he looked much more confident and in control than when he was at Marquette (that's what a year more of practice and weight training will do to a freshman).  He handled the ball much better, especially with his left hand, and was very aggressive, looking to penetrate every time he caught the ball.  He by no means is overly quick or athletic, but that doesn't get nearly as exposed as it seemed to when he was at Marquette anymore.  His on the ball defense is much better as well, as he stays in front of his defender very well.

I would love to still have Scott on this team.  No, he is not as good as Dwight Buycks or DJO, but I would say, given his size advantage, that he would probably help us more in the Big East than Mo Acker or David Cubillan will (unless Cubillan can consistently hit 6 3 pointers every game, but seeing as how he followed that showing up with 0 points I have my doubts).

And I will tell you one thing, he would make his free throws at the end of the game (and throughout it).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:34:08 PM by Tim Maymon »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
Listen, Scott could have contributed to this team.  As he got confidence and his shot started to fall, the type of outside shooting he would have offered would help.

Now does he fit into the current system used by buzz, the dribble drive offense, No.  However, he shooting skill could have helped us.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
That being said, having been at the Iowa State vs. Duke game in Chicago last week, Scott doesn't score when he's on the court because they have 1 of the best players in the Big 12 (and nation) and run EVERYTHING through him.  Their offense runs something like this EVERY time down the floor:

I thought JMay transferred to Tennessee!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for bringing some rationale to this thread.

Why some people want to rip on 18 to 22 year players, I don't know....at least not the ones that are good kids, bust their ass and do things the right way.

Hayward, you really should take a permanent vacation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
Why the hate?   The kid has done nothing to you.   He was a recruit that wanted to play for Crean and left when he did.   Assuming he is healthy, he would have contributed this year.   He can't get to the rim like DJO, but there is nothing wrong with a 6'3 shooter.   Why the hate?    He's moved on with no regrets.    So should you.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »
What a deep, insightful, and not at all redundant topic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
Why the hate?   The kid has done nothing to you.   He was a recruit that wanted to play for Crean and left when he did.   Assuming he is healthy, he would have contributed this year.   He can't get to the rim like DJO, but there is nothing wrong with a 6'3 shooter.   Why the hate?    He's moved on with no regrets.    So should you.   

Hayward is being a little blunt but people, including myself, thought he would have been a valuable member of the team.  Turns out I was likely wrong.  Nothing wrong with him pointing that out.

romey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

Hayward is being a little blunt but people, including myself, thought he would have been a valuable member of the team.  Turns out I was likely wrong.  Nothing wrong with him pointing that out.
Perhaps because it seems as though hayward is just taking the opportunity to say "I told you so" to Chicos than anything else.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
What a deep, insightful, and not at all redundant topic.

These redundant threads remind me of when lots of people in the large company I work for keep hitting "reply all" to a stupid email and you just can't away from them!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
I don't care who the recruiter is, if Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin wants to come to Marquette we're going to give him a scholarship 99% of the time.  It's too bad it didn't work out, but I don't think it was a mistake to offer SC, if only to keep up our repution recruiting within the state.

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you, but we now have two examples of why that is not very sound practice. The title doesn't mean anything if the player can't (for whatever reason) play in the BE.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »

There is nothing wrong with saying that Scott might not fit in Buzz's system, or that DJO and Buycks are developing into better players.

But, it's not OK to come around once per month to tell everybody how bad a former MU player is. SC seemed like a nice kid. He seems like a decent role player.

That's it.

No need to rip the kid every 3 weeks.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 08:31:54 AM »
There is nothing wrong with saying that Scott might not fit in Buzz's system, or that DJO and Buycks are developing into better players.

But, it's not OK to come around once per month to tell everybody how bad a former MU player is. SC seemed like a nice kid. He seems like a decent role player.

That's it.

No need to rip the kid every 3 weeks.

SC is just a means to an end.  Look at it this way; Hayward isn't really ripping SC, he's just using SC in a misquided (and increasingly patholigical) attempt to rip Chicos.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
I love these back and forths that these two have... they keep me coming back!

two spin doctors working their mojo... I can't help but be entertained!

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
Not ripping on SC per say.  from day 1 i did not think he was any good, did not think he had the quickness or skills to play in the BE.    Not ripping SC simply pointing out to mister blather that his crowing about our former coach and how his recruits actually were really good is hogwash. 

You may recall much of this started when Chicos (joanie Crean) stated that Crean actually did not leave the cupboard bare for Buzz that he actually left gritty smart players that we would be longing for when we saw zone, such as Scott C., yet they chose to leave.  he stated stated that the cupboard was not bare , that in fact it was loaded with such big time players like nick willimas and SC but they choase to leave. he used a 15? point outing versus some school no one ever heard of as evidence. 

quid pro quo....i am now stating that i said he was full of s#1+ then and as the objective evidence has built that he is full of sh1t now. 

Simple poll if someone knows how to set ipt up. 
who would you rather have or who do you think is a better asset at PG for MU
acker, Cubi, or Scott Christopherson?

or who would you rather have on the court at the 2...DJO, Buycks, Cubi or SC. 

again not so much knocking SC i knew he was not a BE player from day 1.  simply pointing out Chicos blathers on about a stocked cupboard after a D3 players scores 15 gainst a D3 team, but when he scores 1 or 0 baskets in his last 4 games with little minutes i am now twisting things or using a small sample against only the good teams and now the coach is not using him right.

please just pointing out one mans bball ignorance.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »
Not ripping on SC per say.  from day 1 i did not think he was any good, did not think he had the quickness or skills to play in the BE.    Not ripping SC simply pointing out to mister blather that his crowing about our former coach and how his recruits actually were really good is hogwash. 

You may recall much of this started when Chicos (joanie Crean) stated that Crean actually did not leave the cupboard bare for Buzz that he actually left gritty smart players that we would be longing for when we saw zone, such as Scott C., yet they chose to leave.  he stated stated that the cupboard was not bare , that in fact it was loaded with such big time players like nick willimas and SC but they choase to leave. he used a 15? point outing versus some school no one ever heard of as evidence. 

quid pro quo....i am now stating that i said he was full of s#1+ then and as the objective evidence has built that he is full of sh1t now. 

Simple poll if someone knows how to set ipt up. 
who would you rather have or who do you think is a better asset at PG for MU
acker, Cubi, or Scott Christopherson?

or who would you rather have on the court at the 2...DJO, Buycks, Cubi or SC. 

again not so much knocking SC i knew he was not a BE player from day 1.  simply pointing out Chicos blathers on about a stocked cupboard after a D3 players scores 15 gainst a D3 team, but when he scores 1 or 0 baskets in his last 4 games with little minutes i am now twisting things or using a small sample against only the good teams and now the coach is not using him right.

please just pointing out one mans bball ignorance.

Please let the record reflect that I explained this in 32 words -- it took you 316.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
Hayward's I-told-you-so post does have merit.

Bottom line, we are fortunate he is not on our team taking up a scholarship.

He could be averaging 10-12 a game at ISU, and he still wouldn't be a good fit for us. I've seen him play this year and he is the same slow-footed white guy he was here. Obviously, he has found a better system for his spot up shooting. While he can shoot the 3, he is probably an even worse on-ball defender than Acker. Yes, DJO and Buycks don't play the best D, but they certainly have the athleticism to do so. Sure, SC could make free throws at the end of the game, but he would get lit up every time on the other end.

I hope he has a great career.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »
So now he's a D3 player?  Good grief.  You're all class Hayward, you really are.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 01:36:19 PM »
Can the mods automatically lock all threads that are started by Hayward to bait Chicos?  This is probably one of the gayest things I've ever seen.  Why don't you two just sleep together and get it over with?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
Can the mods automatically lock all threads that are started by Hayward to bait Chicos?  This is probably one of the gayest things I've ever seen.  Why don't you two just sleep together and get it over with?

I agree with the last part of your post...In the words of Kramer (coincidentally enough), "Don't you two see, that your in love with each other?"

I disagree with the part about locking threads though. locking threads is weak.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »

I disagree with the part about locking threads though. locking threads is weak.

Well maybe not lock them, but maybe move them to a thread over at the Superbar or something?  So at least I know to ignore them.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »

I think they have already and that's a big reason for the animosity.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
I think they have already and that's a big reason for the animosity.

I rebuffed him and the relationship has never been the same.

He's back on ignore....I think that makes 25 people

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
I rebuffed him and the relationship has never been the same.

He's back on ignore....I think that makes 25 people

something I do not find shocking at all.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
something I do not find shocking at all.

Stop it, you two!  I'm not going to tell you again!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
SC's on ESPN360 right now. He's not getting ANY touches. Brackins, Gilstrap, Staiger, Hamilton, Garrett and others are treating him like the guy who stands and watches other people play at the park then one guy has to leave then they finger over to SC to come in to fill his spot because they can't run a game 5 on 4.

SC dunking in HS got me excited.
Too bad that he had more talented players in front of him at MU.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
SC's on ESPN360 right now. He's not getting ANY touches. Brackins, Gilstrap, Staiger, Hamilton, Garrett and others are treating him like the guy who stands and watches other people play at the park then one guy has to leave then they finger over to SC to come in to fill his spot because they can't run a game 5 on 4.

SC dunking in HS got me excited.
Too bad that he had more talented players in front of him at MU.

Well he just hit a 3 pointer and the Cyclones are trailing by 2 points at Nebraska with 8 minutes to play.  

EDIT:  He just hit another 3 pointer and the Cyclones just took the lead

EDIT:  Iowa State wins at Nebraska....they trailed by 5 with under 10 minutes to play until Scotty C. hit the two three pointers to put them ahead for good.  They never trailed again, beating Nebraska 56-53.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:01:18 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
I have alot of respect for Scott.  He came from a small town (Melrose, population < 1000) in western Wisconsin and was able to advance to the D1 level.  Nice to see things like that happen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 12:23:10 AM »
I have alot of respect for Scott.  He came from a small town (Melrose, population < 1000) in western Wisconsin and was able to advance to the D1 level.  Nice to see things like that happen.

Didn't you hear, he's nothing more than a D3 player that somehow escaped all odds and got a DI scholarship from a Big East team and then a D1 scholarship from a Big 12 team.  How that happened when he was only a D3 player is a mystery that few will ever be able to answer.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
Well he just hit a 3 pointer and the Cyclones are trailing by 2 points at Nebraska with 8 minutes to play.  

EDIT:  He just hit another 3 pointer and the Cyclones just took the lead

EDIT:  Iowa State wins at Nebraska....they trailed by 5 with under 10 minutes to play until Scotty C. hit the two three pointers to put them ahead for good.  They never trailed again, beating Nebraska 56-53.

No doubt he hit two big threes, but let's revisit the entire game line:

20 min.
2-6 FG
2-4 3pt
nothing else

I watched the game and he had some 3s tagged on him as well as dribble penetration go past him.

Nebraska lost this game by not playing aggressively.
You cannot make ONLY 2 FTs for the entire game much less attempt ONLY 8!!!
SS Marquette

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 08:48:12 AM »
see here chicos goes again every thing is diversionary.  The real question is does having Scott Chrositopherson on the MU roster contribute to the "cupboard being stocked"?  Personally i think that is a joke.  ISU is terrible and SC is a bit player on that team.  

lastly , point blank....of our current 4 guards is SC better than Buycks, cubi, Djo, or Acker?  My answer is he cant hold their jocks.

Chicos please answer my point blank question.

i ask the question point blank to chicos becuase he will never answer them.  he cant go diversionary on point blank questions so he says he never saw them

Bottom line people are complaining this year that two of our "stocked cupboard " players in Cubi and Acker are so over matched.  Mu fans would be howling if SC was still here.  Simply 3 players from our "stocked cupboard "  that are simply not BE caliber players that would not be playing more than bit minutes on an upper echelon BE team. Cubi and acker are playing due to circumstance not talent
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:11:21 AM by MR.HAYWARD »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »
Fact is, if he was on this team, he wouldn't play. He would be a topic on this board like Eric Williams is...

"He's probably our best 3-pt shooter, why can't he get 7-10 minutes per game?"

"Because for every three he makes, the guy he is 'guarding' will score 4 points."

"Who are you going to put on the bench so he can play?"

"Blah. Blah. Blah"

It seems he may have found the right spot, but put me in the camp that says he would be no help to MU. He's a role player on a team that frankly isn't any good (even if they did manage to knock off mighty Nebraska).

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
Fact is, if he was on this team, he wouldn't play. He would be a topic on this board like Eric Williams is...

"He's probably our best 3-pt shooter, why can't he get 7-10 minutes per game?"

"Because for every three he makes, the guy he is 'guarding' will score 4 points."

"Who are you going to put on the bench so he can play?"

"Blah. Blah. Blah"

It seems he may have found the right spot, but put me in the camp that says he would be no help to MU. He's a role player on a team that frankly isn't any good (even if they did manage to knock off mighty Nebraska).

blasphemy!!!!!   Scotty is gritty.....he is smart....and we will wish we had him when teams zone us as they "will in spades".  we will wish we had him when those bricklayers from 3 like DJO, cubi, Buycks, and hayward are clanking shots.   :D :D :D :D :D  stupid comments/predictions deserve to be mocked and laughed at.  Chicos should be an analyst with his expertise  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:16:24 AM by MR.HAYWARD »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
I agree, he would not play for Buzz because it's not his style (though that doesn't mean he couldn't contribute here).  I also believe that when an !$!#@% claims he is a DIII player he is showing that he is nothing but an !#$!%%.

Good for SC, glad he  made some huge shots last night. It was Iowa State's first conference road win in almost 3 years...their coach has done a nice job of turning that program slowly around, which takes time.

At any rate, I'll always say if the Wisconsin Player of the Year is a DI talent, then MU should take them.  Some of you disagree, but I'll always be in that camp.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:40:41 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
At any rate, I'll always say if the Wisconsin Player of the Year is a DI talent, then MU should take them.  Some of you disagree, but I'll always be in that camp.

Given the way the last 2 have not worked out, taking a guy based solely on winning some silly award, would be kinda dumb. DI talent is one thing, but the ability to play and fit in with the team/style is something else entirely. Christopheron signed with MU pretty early as I recall, and Maymon was a well known chance worth taking for Buzz as a new coach, but even assuming he has DI talent, signing the POY simply because he is the POY isn't very sound practice. It would be a little like the NFL team with the first pick automatically taking the guy that won the Heisman trophy, because he won the Heisman.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »
I understand Chico's POV: you gotta protect your backyard. I agree with that somewhat.

But I think Buzz's plan is to take the best talent ANYWHERE.

It just so happens that Vander is the best Wisconsin talent next year.
SS Marquette

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Note to the board My question has still not been answered by chicos...

i will pose it again...point blank....of our current 4 guards is SC better than Buycks, cubi, Djo, or Acker?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
Given the way the last 2 have not worked out, taking a guy based solely on winning some silly award, would be kinda dumb. DI talent is one thing, but the ability to play and fit in with the team/style is something else entirely. Christopheron signed with MU pretty early as I recall, and Maymon was a well known chance worth taking for Buzz as a new coach, but even assuming he has DI talent, signing the POY simply because he is the POY isn't very sound practice. It would be a little like the NFL team with the first pick automatically taking the guy that won the Heisman trophy, because he won the Heisman.

It's more about winning a "silly award" but has a lot to do with recruiting.  If I recall, Wisconsin offered SC as well, they aren't exactly a crappy program.  Wisconsin didn't offer Maymon, which should have been a tell tale sign for everyone in the world that he was nuclear.

Notice I didn't say take the POY each time, I said take the POY who is also a D1 talent (and by that, I mean a major D1 talent).   That's a distinct difference.  There will be years that the POY is not a high D1 talent, and in those years I wouldn't take the POY.  But when they are, yes...I would take them.

I don't think the NFL analogy is even remotely in the ballpark.  Football is a totally different game.  Let's look at it another way, the college basketball player of the year is almost always a 1st round draft pick in the NBA (not always, but virtually)...that's a much more apples to apples comparison.  The NFL is a different sport and totally different deal based on need, etc.  It's a team game where it is more difficult for individuals to make their mark (qb's the one exception), where basketball is a team game dominated by individual talents and one individual can make all the difference in the world.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
Notice I didn't say take the POY each time, I said take the POY who is also a D1 talent (and by that, I mean a major D1 talent).

Notice I acknowledged that...twice.

There will be years that the POY is not a high D1 talent, and in those years I wouldn't take the POY.  But when they are, yes...I would take them.

Well, according to you, both Christopherson and Maymon have high D1 talent...Marquette took them both. Neither worked out, so tell me how in either case taking the POY because he was the POY was a good idea?  Christopherson couldn't play, and Maymon was 'nuclear' and was kicked off the team. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.  Even though you and everyone in the world knew he was nuclear, you would have taken Maymon because he has D1 talent and won POY. Is that correct?

How about a kid who poses a significant academic risk? How about a kid who has had some legal troubles? How a bout a kid who wins POY, but is obviously not as good as other players coming in/ahead of him at the same position and is destined to ride the bench?

That POY title means little/nothing unless the kid can play and fits with what the team is trying to do.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »
Let's look at it another way, the college basketball player of the year is almost always a 1st round draft pick in the NBA (not always, but virtually)

And? So what? Is he always the 1st player taken? That is more in line with what you are suggesting...that a player should be taken based on the award. The NCAA POY is usually taken in the 1st round because he projects as a good NBA player, not because he was the national POY.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
I understand Chico's POV: you gotta protect your backyard. I agree with that somewhat.

But I think Buzz's plan is to take the best talent ANYWHERE.

It just so happens that Vander is the best Wisconsin talent next year.

Plus, the POY of the state usually comes from a top program in the state.  From my POV, it's good to keep trying to get the best players from the best programs as it keeps relationships with high school and AAU coaches in good form. 

I'm all for going for the best talent anywhere, you have to.  Wisconsin doesn't have enough talent and with UW-Madison as good as they are, you have to broaden your reach. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Plus, the POY of the state usually comes from a top program in the state.  From my POV, it's good to keep trying to get the best players from the best programs as it keeps relationships with high school and AAU coaches in good form. 

Of course its good to try to get the best players from the best programs, but what does the POY title have to do with that?  When you take a guy who wins POY but doesn't fit in (like Maymon and Christopherson) and they end up discontented and leave, how does that keep those relationships in good form?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »

Agreed.

But isn't the Chicago/Illinois pipeline more valuable than the WI one?
Heck, the NY pipeline is what got Marquette to the promised land in the 70s!
SS Marquette

feedback