'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dekker announces he is leaving - Per ESPN  (Read 17710 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Dekker announces he is leaving - Per ESPN
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »
SAM DEKKER ENTERING NBA DRAFT
The junior is being tabbed as a potential lottery pick after a strong NCAA tournament. He said: "I love the school and am so grateful for everything, but I think this is the right decision for me as a player and as a person."

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
Re: Dekker announces he is leaving - Per ESPN
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
How long until Bo says he isn't allowed to leave until he talks to him, and has no idea how this works?  ;)

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
How long until Bo says he isn't allowed to leave until he talks to him, and has no idea how this works?  ;)

Seems to be some butt hurt on this board.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
FINALLY Bo loses a guy early.  (last one was Devin H I believe) I was sure Bo would find some way to avoid what happens at every other D-1 program and get Dekker to stay for his senior year.  Badgers will still be go next year but this certainly brings them back to earth.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
How is this not just awesome for UW -- especially if he is successful -- wouldn't that just help recruiting?

Talk about the worst of the worst.  Stay 5 years, don't make the NBA & don't get a degree.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
From afar, Dekker's trajectory at UW seems pretty similar to Blue's...Failed to live up to expectations (perhaps unrealistic) coming out of high school for the first couple of years at the college level, start to show that you figured out a few things your junior year, and then explode in the NCAA Tourney that same year, and then bolt for the draft thereafter.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
From afar, Dekker's trajectory at UW seems pretty similar to Blue's...Failed to live up to expectations (perhaps unrealistic) coming out of high school for the first couple of years at the college level, start to show that you figured out a few things your junior year, and then explode in the NCAA Tourney that same year, and then bolt for the draft thereafter.

True, the trajectory is the same, but I'm sure the draft results will be widely different

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »

The difference being that Dekker was on the 20-30 range on most boards before the tourney and now moved into the top 20. Vander wasn't on anyone's boards for the year he came out...only on the one after that as mid-2nd rounder.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

Big difference is that Dekker will be a first round pick.  He was a standup guy after the championship game and is a heckuva player.  If he gets that jump shot to be consistent (no reason to think he won't) he should have a nice career in the NBA.

As much as you may not like Wisconsin or their coach or fans, I personally don't find much to dislike about Kaminsky, Dekker or Hayes.  All good players.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
Big difference is that Dekker will be a first round pick.  He was a standup guy after the championship game and is a heckuva player.  If he gets that jump shot to be consistent (no reason to think he won't) he should have a nice career in the NBA.

As much as you may not like Wisconsin or their coach or fans, I personally don't find much to dislike about Kaminsky, Dekker or Hayes.  All good players.

I think there is everything to dislike about Kaminsky. Don't have an issue with Dekker or Hayes.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
I think there is everything to dislike about Kaminsky. Don't have an issue with Dekker or Hayes.
Agreed on all three. Kaminsky is incredibly unlikable. I thought watching Dekker was like watching Keith Van Horn on his tourney run with Utah. He has a very fun skill set to watch
No Finish Line

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »

FINALLY Bo loses a guy early.  (last one was Devin H I believe) I was sure Bo would find some way to avoid what happens at every other D-1 program and get Dekker to stay for his senior year.  Badgers will still be go next year but this certainly brings them back to earth.

Maybe only a couple illogical stays in his time, but I'm glad I'm not the only conspiracy theorist who thinks it possible Bo casts players off on their own if they're considering leaving him early.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »

+1

Dekker and Hayes seem like good dudes.

Kaminisky is as bad as Koenig in likeability.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Agreed on all three. Kaminsky is incredibly unlikable. I thought watching Dekker was like watching Keith Van Horn on his tourney run with Utah. He has a very fun skill set to watch

Good player, but thinks he's tougher than he is.  The stair downs he tries make him look ridiculous.  The pointing at his muscles when there's really nothing there, especially compared to most division 1 college basketball players, was absolutely hysterical.

I like Hayes's game, especially if he stops taking notes from Kaminsky and keeps his a$$ in the paint rather than floating around on the perimeter like he did in the NCAAs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
Good player, but thinks he's tougher than he is.  The stair downs he tries make him look ridiculous.  The pointing at his muscles when there's really nothing there, especially compared to most division 1 college basketball players, was absolutely hysterical.

I like Hayes's game, especially if he stops taking notes from Kaminsky and keeps his a$$ in the paint rather than floating around on the perimeter like he did in the NCAAs.

I did laugh at the pointing of what was supposed to be a bicep. As for Hayes I think if they had run more offense through him in the second half they'd be Nat Champs
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »

He's most effective in the wide post but he's a 38% 3P shooter. It's not like he is ineffective out there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »
He's most effective in the wide post but he's a 38% 3P shooter. It's not like he is ineffective out there.

I don't mind him taking the 3 point shot at all.  But throughout the regular season he took that shot in rhythm just as a catch and shoot, good shot within the offense, kind of like Lazar used to at MU.  Come NCAA Tourney time, he'd take a few dribbles, pick the ball up, think about it, and then throw up a brick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »

Does this make Dekker a rent-a-player?

Also, has Hayes announced what his plans are for next year?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
Smart move. Stock will never be higher than it is now. Hope he does well. Seems like a good guy.

On the flip side, wouldn't mind seeing Kaminsky sink.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »
I disagree whole heartedly. There is something about Dekker that rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if it's an attitude thing or if he's kind of a selfish player or what. There's no doubt he's a very good player and I liked this Badger team, but I wouldn't be happy if the Bulls drafted him.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 12:43:42 PM »
my gut tells me he won't stick in the nba unless he can develop into a lights-out 3 point shooter.  i know there was a lot of talk that he handled himself well against labron, but looking at the kid, i don't see the nba body needed to be a slasher/finisher.

that said, if you're a first rounder you should leave...and i don't think he was too happy with how bo was handling and/or helping him. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »

Bo announced he cannot play for any of the teams in the NBA Western division and plans on going on ESPN tomorrow to complain about how hard he works and the effort it takes to be Madison Coach
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »
Brace yourself guys.  My bet is that either Frank or Sam will be sportin' the Bucks logo.  Then I'll really have to go all in for the Bulls.  But that's a problem too because I like Jabari and can't stand Rose.  Oh the agony.   :-\

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
My sources indicate Dekker is not turning Pro.  He is lulling Bo to sleep and transferring to Iowa.

I am surprised to see the dislike for Kaminsky.  Yes, he whined to the officials and had obvious flops, but thats not unique to him and he really made himself into a heck of a player despite not great athleticism.

Dekker won me when he told Kaminsky during the AZ game to stop complaining to the officials when he didn't get a call.  It was great.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
Brace yourself guys.  My bet is that either Frank or Sam will be sportin' the Bucks logo.  Then I'll really have to go all in for the Bulls.  But that's a problem too because I like Jabari and can't stand Rose.  Oh the agony.   :-\

Then what are your feelings toward Simeon? Especially with STJ transferring
Maigh Eo for Sam

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

Yeah, this definitely makes him one of the true bad guys in college hoops. Wooden Award winners should never show any emotion.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

I was neutral on the guy 'til the Oregon game when he flexed at the crowd following a garbage time putback layup over a guy a foot and a half shorter than him. Looked like a COMPLETE loser.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
I was neutral on the guy 'til the Oregon game when he flexed at the crowd following a garbage time putback layup over a guy a foot and a half shorter than him. Looked like a COMPLETE loser.

He better be careful about pulling that garbage in the NBA. 

brandx

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
People here supported Mayo, but have a problem with Dekker or Kaminsky's attitude?

That's pretty funny.

Personally, I hate guys who always play hard and make it known that they want to win.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »
People here supported Mayo, but have a problem with Dekker or Kaminsky's attitude?

That's pretty funny.

Personally, I hate guys who always play hard and make it known that they want to win.

Everyone here knew Todd had issues. We cheered for him because he was on our team. That's it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »

That's pretty funny.

Dekker always plays hard? News to me. It seemed like he disappeared all the time before the tournament run.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 01:51:24 PM »
SAM DEKKER ENTERING NBA DRAFT
The junior is being tabbed as a potential lottery pick after a strong NCAA tournament. He said: "I love the school and am so grateful for everything, but I think this is the right decision for me as a player and as a person."

The exploitation of the NCAA tournament moved him up in the draft considerably.  He should have to pay that increased amount of money to someone....anyone....for the exploitation.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
The exploitation of the NCAA tournament moved him up in the draft considerably.  He should have to pay that increased amount of money to someone....anyone....for the exploitation.

Wow. You really enjoy beating a dead horse, huh?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
Dekker will be a better pro than Kaminsky. And I like Kaminsky a lot. But I think Dekker can create more matchup problems than Kaminsky can.
We Are Marquette

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

Please tell us what declaring for the NBA can tell us about Dekker's penis size.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
Also, has Hayes announced what his plans are for next year?

Hayes said in Monday's postgame locker room that's he's staying.  In response to a question about his plans for next year, he said something like "you saw the game...I'm not anywhere near ready for the next level."
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »
Yeah, this definitely makes him one of the true bad guys in college hoops. Wooden Award winners should never show any emotion.

Might want to reread and see who is being talked about.

But again, another of our little brothers.  Congrats on your back to back Final Fours.  You had a great 2 year run here.  Please go and celebrate it.  You have the approval of your big brother Marquette.  Stop wasting your time worrying about what we think, and go enjoy what you just saw the last 2 years.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Wow. You really enjoy beating a dead horse, huh?

I think that horse decomposed a long, long time ago ;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »
+1

Dekker and Hayes seem like good dudes.

Kaminisky is as bad as Koenig in likeability.

I don't blame Kaminsky for in-game moaning.  As Mr. Miyagi said, "...only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do."  Kaminsky seems like a regular goofy college kid in interviews, etc. and has improved a lot through hard work.  I have no problem with the kid.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »

By the way, since you brought up the Wooden Award winner, will this one actually graduate after spending 4 years in college?  And will he be able to find any balls to rub in the pros while wearing a camera on his chest like he did in college?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
Everyone here knew Todd had issues. We cheered for him because he was on our team. That's it.

Honestly, tough to cheer for him because of the issues even though he was on the team.  Just calling it like it is

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Honestly, tough to cheer for him because of the issues even though he was on the team.  Just calling it like it is

Hot take. So brave.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
surprising that so many Badger fans posted negative comments towards Dekker in the JSonline article of this story

well maybe not so surprising...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
surprising that so many Badger fans posted negative comments towards Dekker in the JSonline article of this story

well maybe not so surprising...

What surprises me is they are acting like it's a shock. Dekker leaving has been a foregone conclusion for months. I can understand some optimistic fans hoping against hope, but that was like those of us hoping Wade would come back for his senior year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 04:28:24 PM »
It'd be quite ironic if Dekker had graduated in 3 years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
It'd be quite ironic if Dekker had graduated in 3 years.

Considering Bo can't graduate most guys in 5 years, that would have been a remarkable accomplishment! ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
I think one of the articles from Anonymous Eagle mentioned that Dekker's major is still "Undecided" on the official web site.  If that's accurate, he probably won't graduate in 3 years.

Considering Bo can't graduate most guys in 5 years, that would have been a remarkable accomplishment! ;D

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
They should build out Clap for Credit as a full major.  Golf clap, single hand clap, clap on/clap off light management.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
They should build out Clap for Credit as a full major.  Golf clap, single hand clap, clap on/clap off light management.

Crean to UW?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
Hayes said in Monday's postgame locker room that's he's staying.  In response to a question about his plans for next year, he said something like "you saw the game...I'm not anywhere near ready for the next level."

Jason Richardson said the exact same thing after Michigan State lost to Arizona in the 2001 Final Four. Within days, he changed his mind. Then again, Richardson was a sure lottery pick where Hayes is not. And I have no reason to doubt Hayes was telling the truth. Just stating the obvious: Sometimes what these guys say in the heat of the moment isn't necessarily what ends up being true.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
Please tell us what declaring for the NBA can tell us about Dekker's penis size.

That's Sultan's area, he likes talking about penis size.   Brandx can then do the diagnosis on the  penis.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »

How about just The Clap?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »

I think I cheered for Mayo only once while he was MU, when he hit a bomb of a 3-pointer in a BE game. I didn't like him from the moment he stepped ion to campus; I don't know why, I just did. I was VERY glad he left last summer..

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
I think I cheered for Mayo only once while he was MU, when he hit a bomb of a 3-pointer in a BE game. I didn't like him from the moment he stepped ion to campus; I don't know why, I just did. I was VERY glad he left last summer..

I wasn't happy when I heard we were recruiting him.....I'll leave it at that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
Dekker is the only Badger I've liked since they turned into the heel for me in 2004.

He will be a much better player than Frank and probably drafted before him. I'll even say I'd rather have Dekker than Doug McBuckets on the Bulls.

Dekker clearly was being hindered by the Swing. I've heard Dekker and Bo did not get along after the Association began sniffing around last year.  After that his utilization dropped big time and Frank was the focal point. Once the tournament started, they knew Frank wasn't couldn't win the tournament, so Sam took over.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
My favorite quote from the comments of the article.

"Sam--I doubt you'll get a chance to read this, but since what I have to say takes than 140 characters to say, I'm going to try anyway. First, as a fellow UW-alum, thank you for staying at home and staying at home as long as you did. Second: a request. As Jay Bilas and many others observed, the closest thing to NBA basketball was played by the Wisconsin Badgers in the semi-final against Kentucky. Henry Ellenson, Kevin Looney, JP Totoko, Diamond Stone; they all should be Badgers today. Please use the example of your experience to convince more of our boys (I'm over 50) to stay home!"

He got 2 of the 4 names spelled correctly.  Surprising to think about the great talent in those 4 players coming out of Wisconsin.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
Now that he's gone I'll say that I did like Dekker. He just shut his mouth and played unlike a lot of his teammates. He's going to be a much better pro than college player. Bo's system hurt him. If he went to a team like Arizona, no way he stays 3 years.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »
An aside...

Let's look at that "rich" Wisconsin history that may change when Kaminsky and possibly Dekker get drafted.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/Badgers-in-the-NBA.html
SS Marquette

boyonthedock

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
Devin Harris as the most accomplished alum is not a particularly tough bar to overcome.

feedback