Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[Today at 04:36:45 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:18:45 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GOO
[Today at 02:58:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws  (Read 24743 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws
« Reply #275 on: June 03, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »
If you don’t mind me asking what were the policies of those candidates that you voted for and valued above their economic views? Or was it more of a vote against the policies of the other candidate?

I mean, in the current 2 party system, isn't always both? I voted for increased gun control which means I also voted against the other candidate's opposition to gun control. I feel strongly about LGBTQ+ rights, increased spending on public education, Title IX reform, student loan reform, addressing climate change, decreasing barriers to immigration, etc. I hurt myself financially by voting democrat but these issues are more important to me so I prioritized them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2022, 11:48:07 AM »
I know I’ve said this here before, but I am stunned that otherwise smart, incisive, witty posters continue to enable a troll who is here solely to argue.

I am not stunned that you actually find posters on here smart, witty, incisive. 

And by argue you mean not agree wholeheartedly with everything you and a vocal few spew on here incessantly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »
I’m sure Canada has daycares, that’s always an option. Use your free will.

To be honest, my wife and I have discussed if that's an option. For now, we've decided that it's not. But I do always love the "if you don't like it than move" arguments. This country is supposed to be a representative democracy the follows the will of the people. I'd rather stay and work towards making my country better. Feel free to move if we are successful.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #278 on: June 03, 2022, 11:55:15 AM »
1. You keep saying this, but it's provably false. Again, states with stricter gun control see fewer gun deaths.
That said, are you saying we shouldn't have any laws? People drive drunk, despite DUI laws. People beat their spouses despite domestic violence laws. People steal despite theft laws. People molest kids despite sex abuse laws.
Why bother?

2. Unproven.

Just today I said I'm in favor of some new laws that won't hurt to try.  I am also in favor of "fortifying" our schools and believe there are more local/practical/effective solutions to help prevent gun related crimes.  Like most things the solutions won't be found in Washington that's for sure. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #279 on: June 03, 2022, 12:00:02 PM »
Are you serious right now?  In your second line you say you aren't calling me some gun-loving right winger.... and then in your very next line you call me exactly that just phrased a little different.

Every bit as serious as you were when you made the "one big liberal bumper sticker" lie and then claimed to want "honest conversation."

Hey, how do you think Marquette's team is shaping up for next season?

Maybe get one post out of you that isn't spreading misinformation about Covid or parroting the right's talking points.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #280 on: June 03, 2022, 12:07:25 PM »
Every bit as serious as you were when you made the "one big liberal bumper sticker" lie and then claimed to want "honest conversation."

Hey, how do you think Marquette's team is shaping up for next season?

Maybe get one post out of you that isn't spreading misinformation about Covid or parroting the right's talking points.

Thanks for asking!

Joplin=BE most improved
Chase Ross= BE all Freshman
EE=will be the X factor on how the season goes.  Need some reliable shooting and I think he can provide that.

I’m a 22 regular season wins and a sweet 16.  Book it

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »
Don't say the Texas Governor isn't doing anything--weekly door inspections! FFS.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »
I mean, in the current 2 party system, isn't always both? I voted for increased gun control which means I also voted against the other candidate's opposition to gun control. I feel strongly about LGBTQ+ rights, increased spending on public education, Title IX reform, student loan reform, addressing climate change, decreasing barriers to immigration, etc. I hurt myself financially by voting democrat but these issues are more important to me so I prioritized them.

I was thinking, even before this post, this is one of the BIGGEST failings of the two party system.  I get torn so regularly for similar, and some different, reasons to which you pose.

My sister in law is very vocal about almost anything in her life.  And her IG stories often reflect that.  Between that and conversations with her, I had this interesting cross section over the last month.  Shes very fiscally conservative, is pretty tough on immigration as the wife of an immigrant from a large immigrant family who had challenges and successes immigrating legally, and very pro-Israel...but she also lost her mind over the abortion ruling, is loudly anti-gun and was despondent last week, and pushes the recycling/environment issues at her kid's school which isn't otherwise. 

I thought how odd it must look to see her stories or hear her talk on a given day to day...but she's very representative of millions of people.  And how frankly pathetic and strange the political system in our country is that it can be odd when varying political priorities don't align with one group or another.  Far more "conservatives"/"liberals" are like her than Ted Cruz or The Squad.

Mike I respect you and our banter regardless of your political beliefs, but please stop pretending you're not liberal and instead some middle of the road independent.  Thats like a hardcore vegetarian who espouses the virtues of a meatless diet most of the year claiming they're not really vegetarian cause they eat bacon on their birthday  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2022, 12:35:22 PM »
Thanks for asking!

Joplin=BE most improved
Chase Ross= BE all Freshman
EE=will be the X factor on how the season goes.  Need some reliable shooting and I think he can provide that.

I’m a 22 regular season wins and a sweet 16.  Book it

Thanks for the response. We Are Marquette!

Mike I respect you and our banter regardless of your political beliefs, but please stop pretending you're not liberal and instead some middle of the road independent.

I never once said I was a "middle of the road independent." I am registered in NC as "unaffiliated"; I am left-leaning on most social issues and centrist on most financial issues. I won't bore you with the list of Republicans I've voted for, but Reagan -- who now would be labeled a RINO -- was one of them.

Numerous Scoopers are way left of me, just as you are right of me even if you, too, profess to be moderate. I respect you, too, Wags.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »
Don't say the Texas Governor isn't doing anything--weekly door inspections! FFS.

Seems like more regulations and spending.  Sad!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »
Herschel Walker, when asked by Fox News for his solution:

"Cain killed Abel, you know, and that's a problem that we have. And I said, what we need to do is look into how we can stop those things. You know, you talk about doing a disinformation; what about getting a department that can look at young men that's looking at women, that's looking at their social media? What about doing that, looking into things like that, and we can stop that that way? But yet they wanna just continue to talk about taking away your constitutional rights."

Georgia's GOP candidate for the U.S. Senate also said:

"We gotta get back into prayer. People thinking now praying is bad. No, it's not bad. We need to pray for things like that."

BTW, Walker's ex-wife said he repeatedly held a gun to her head and threatened to "blow my brains out.” A Dallas County judge was so worried about the possibility of violence that in 2005 he temporarily took away Walker’s guns. Walker later said he had mental-health issues ... but he has not shown support for red-flag laws that would do just what that judge did to keep him from blowing his wife's brains out.

So now, if you're a Georgia resident and you vote for this guy, do you really prioritize keeping people alive?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2022, 12:59:29 PM »
Herschel Walker, when asked by Fox News for his solution:

"Cain killed Abel, you know, and that's a problem that we have. And I said, what we need to do is look into how we can stop those things. You know, you talk about doing a disinformation; what about getting a department that can look at young men that's looking at women, that's looking at their social media? What about doing that, looking into things like that, and we can stop that that way? But yet they wanna just continue to talk about taking away your constitutional rights."

Georgia's GOP candidate for the U.S. Senate also said:

"We gotta get back into prayer. People thinking now praying is bad. No, it's not bad. We need to pray for things like that."

BTW, Walker's ex-wife said he repeatedly held a gun to her head and threatened to "blow my brains out.” A Dallas County judge was so worried about the possibility of violence that in 2005 he temporarily took away Walker’s guns. Walker later said he had mental-health issues ... but he has not shown support for red-flag laws that would do just what that judge did to keep him from blowing his wife's brains out.

So now, if you're a Georgia resident and you vote for this guy, do you really prioritize keeping people alive?

When are we going to quit nominating quasi-celebrities for public office? 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2022, 01:16:32 PM »
My sister in law is very vocal about almost anything in her life.  And her IG stories often reflect that.  Between that and conversations with her, I had this interesting cross section over the last month.  Shes very fiscally conservative, is pretty tough on immigration as the wife of an immigrant from a large immigrant family who had challenges and successes immigrating legally, and very pro-Israel...but she also lost her mind over the abortion ruling, is loudly anti-gun and was despondent last week, and pushes the recycling/environment issues at her kid's school which isn't otherwise. 

I pretty much agree with your sister-in-law on everything other than "very" pro-Israel. Probably to the left of her on immigration, but not by all that much.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2022, 01:54:53 PM »
Every Fall 600,000 people ( mostly white males for those of you obsessed with race) head to Northern Wisconsin for a week of hunting. And they take with them 600,000+ guns and enough liquor to float a battleship. Yet no one gets shot intentionally and there certainly aren't any mass murders. The worst that generally happens is a handful of guys get winged accidently and a couple of guys fall out of trees.

With regard to mass killings, the problem isn't an abundance of guns. The problem is an abundance of criminals, no'er do Wells and other general F-ups.

How can 600,000 guys get all boozed up and start shooting guns and no one gets killed, yet 50 people can't attend a funeral in Racine without the lead flying.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2022, 02:02:33 PM »
Every Fall 600,000 people ( mostly white males for those of you obsessed with race) head to Northern Wisconsin for a week of hunting. And they take with them 600,000+ guns and enough liquor to float a battleship. Yet no one gets shot intentionally and there certainly aren't any mass murders. The worst that generally happens is a handful of guys get winged accidently and a couple of guys fall out of trees.

With regard to mass killings, the problem isn't an abundance of guns. The problem is an abundance of criminals, no'er do Wells and other general F-ups.

How can 600,000 guys get all boozed up and start shooting guns and no one gets killed, yet 50 people can't attend a funeral in Racine without the lead flying.

All of this sh*ts been addressed earlier in the topic.  Perhaps you should read up instead of vomiting the same tired talking points.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2022, 02:11:29 PM »

There’s an Onion article in there somewhere.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »

Agree. We need more guns.

Maybe we can get those 600,000 hunters to be roving vigilantes who will protect schools, places of worship, movie theaters, cemeteries, hospitals, Vegas shows, etc. Give each of them a dozen or so guns, maybe also a couple lightsabers, and they can protect our loved ones from the criminals, no'er do Wells and other general F-ups.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 02:22:51 PM by MU82 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2022, 02:17:51 PM »

What a shame that only America has an abundance of criminals, no'er do Wells (people who never visited Wales on Wells I'm guessing?), and general F-ups.

Must be the video games.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2022, 02:18:05 PM »

Background checks, yearly licensing, elimination of assault rifles, limit the number available. That's a start (that's what many states do if you want to hunt)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »
When are we going to quit nominating quasi-celebrities for public office?

When we stop making celebrities out of the ones that are already there.  People need to stop YASS KWEEENing random pols and drooling over "God Fearing" public servants.  There has always been some celebrity to heads of state, but people get hung up on people they "like" and ignore their actual merit as a politician.  Hence why unqualified clowns like Herschel Walker or Tommy Tuberville get elected cause they were successful in football or someone gets elected cause they made a movie people liked.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
I knew you guys wouldn't agree with me.

But I'm quite sure my Congressman, one of my U.S. Senators, and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va) agree with me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2022, 02:53:58 PM »
I knew you guys wouldn't agree with me.

But I'm quite sure my Congressman, one of my U.S. Senators, and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va) agree with me.

Yep.  You aren't the only problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »
Floyd R. Turbo, 2024!

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2022, 03:24:24 PM »
Background checks, yearly licensing, elimination of assault rifles, limit the number available. That's a start (that's what many states do if you want to hunt)

Elimination of assault rifles (which I’m fine with) is required for someone to hunt by states right now 🤔

Everything else you mentioned I’d support.  But glad we agree it’s not the gun but rather the responsible or sometimes irresponsible individual using the gun we need to better identify and control.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2022, 03:34:48 PM »
Elimination of assault rifles (which I’m fine with) is required for someone to hunt by states right now 🤔

Everything else you mentioned I’d support.  But glad we agree it’s not the gun but rather the responsible or sometimes irresponsible individual using the gun we need to better identify and control.
Meaning you cant take an assault rifle to hunt derer, elk, etc.

feedback