[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws  (Read 24720 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2022, 09:24:37 AM »
Ya I can get behind all that but it won’t make a lick of difference on gun deaths in America.  Just your standard “we must do something” type legislation.  Limit magazine size I still believe will save the most lives but even that will not stop someone from buying illegally somehow someway.

Data shows states with stricter gun control laws see fewer gun deaths.
How does that jibe with your insistence that "it won't make a lick of difference on gun deaths"?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2022, 09:26:14 AM »
The possibility has always been there, why the sudden need to drill 2 year olds on mass situation situations?  It is still an incredibly rare occurrence for these types of things to happen in schools.  Me thinks they’re looking for attention.

"Looking for attention?"  Don't be dumb.  Fires and tornadoes are rare, but not non-zero probabilities.  They drill for those too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2022, 09:26:35 AM »
2022, so far (list compiled by the NYT):

Jan. 19, Baltimore: A man who worked for a gun violence reduction program was killed in an East Baltimore neighborhood, along with two others. A fourth person was injured.

Jan. 23, Milwaukee: Five men and a woman were found shot to death at a Park West neighborhood home. The police believe the attack targeted specific people.

Jan. 23, Inglewood, Calif.: The same day, a shooting at a birthday party killed four people, including two sisters, and wounded a fifth. The shooting was gang-related, the mayor said.

Jan. 29, St. Louis: A shooting near an intersection killed three young men and wounded a fourth. Police said they had no suspects.

Feb. 5, Corsicana and Frost, Texas: A 41-year-old man murdered his mother, his stepfather, his sons and the son of his ex-girlfriend in an overnight shooting. The man later fatally shot himself.

Feb. 28, Sacramento: A man shot dead his three daughters and their chaperone at a church during a court-approved visit. The children’s mother had a restraining order against the shooter, who killed himself.

March 12, Baltimore: A shooting in Northwest Baltimore killed three men in a car and wounded a fourth.

March 19, Fayetteville, N.C.: A Saturday night shootout in a hotel parking lot killed three people and wounded another three. The shooting may have been linked to a fight between motorcycle gangs.

March 19, Norfolk, Va.: Hours later, an argument outside a bar escalated into a shooting that killed three young bystanders. One of the victims was a 25-year-old newspaper reporter whose editor called her to cover the shooting, not realizing she had been killed.

April 3, Sacramento: At least five shooters fired more than 100 rounds a block from the State Capitol, killing six people — three men and three women — and wounding 12. The police described the shooting as gang-related.

April 20, Duluth, Minn.: A 29-year-old man who said he suffered from mental illness killed his aunt, uncle, two young cousins and their dog in their sleep. He later killed himself.

April 21, Mountain View, Ark.: A man killed his parents, another woman and her son at two homes half a mile apart in a rural community, the police say.

April 27, Biloxi, Miss.: A 32-year-old man killed the owner of the Broadway Inn Express motel and two employees in an argument over money. He fled to a neighboring town and fatally shot a fourth person. Police later found the gunman dead, barricaded inside a convenience store.

May 8, Clarkston, Ga.: Three people were shot to death and three others were wounded at a suburban Atlanta condo complex on a Sunday night.

May 14, Buffalo: An 18-year-old avowed white supremacist killed 10 people and wounded three more with an assault-style weapon in a live-streamed attack at a supermarket.

May 24, Uvalde, Texas: An 18-year-old gunman killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School.

May 27, Stanwood, Mich.: A 51-year-old man allegedly killed his wife and her three young children at a home in Mecosta County before shooting himself, police said. The man remains in critical condition.

June 1, Tulsa, Okla.: A gunman killed his back surgeon, another doctor, a receptionist and a visitor at a medical building. He then killed himself.

As long as this list is, it’s also a very incomplete accounting of American gun violence. It doesn’t include the at least 60 shootings that left three people dead but don’t technically count as mass shootings (because fewer than four people were shot). It doesn’t count shootings that wounded people without killing anybody, like one in Milwaukee that injured 17 people. And it leaves out the individual gun homicides and suicides that make up a majority of the gun violence that kills more than 100 Americans on an average day.

Among the patterns we noticed: Family disputes are a common motivation, and gang disputes are another. Every identified suspect has been a man, many under 25.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
Ya I can get behind all that but it won’t make a lick of difference on gun deaths in America.  Just your standard “we must do something” type legislation.  Limit magazine size I still believe will save the most lives but even that will not stop someone from buying illegally somehow someway.

At this point, I’m all for trying something that may or may not work rather than just sitting on our hands until we need them for prayers when this happens over and over again.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2022, 09:31:46 AM »
"Looking for attention?"  Don't be dumb.  Fires and tornadoes are rare, but not non-zero probabilities.  They drill for those too.

And have drilled for them for decades.  Why now the addition of active shooter drills?

I can’t teach my sons U8 team to throw to 2nd base when there’s a runner on 1st how in the hell do these  daycare teachers think there going to get 2 year olds to follow there training if a maniac shows up at their door.

Just my opinion.  It’s something that makes the adults in the room feel better while instilling fear into a bunch of 2 year olds and if I was TAMU I would have serious concerns about it, especially if it was something they did without consulting parents first. Completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:34:46 AM by pacearrow02 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2022, 09:33:48 AM »
Until voters prioritize the negative effects of easy access to guns, those effects will continue.

It is what it is. Voters are permitted to vote their priorities

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
And have drilled for them for decades.  Why now the addition of active shooter drills?

I can’t teach my sons U8 team to throw to 2nd base when there’s a runner on 1st how in the hell do these  daycare teachers think there going to get 2 year olds to follow there training if a maniac shows up at their door.

Just my opinion.  It’s something that makes the adults in the room feel better while instilling fear into a bunch of 2 year olds and if I was TAMU I would have serious concerns about it.  Completely unnecessary.

Because the number of school shootings has grown exponentially.
https://www.statista.com/chart/19982/number-of-us-k-12-school-shootings-per-decade/

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2022, 09:35:04 AM »
At work we now have added active shooter trainings. Also there’s cyber security training too that wasn’t very common all that long ago. Is that just for show too?

Places are adding it because it’s becoming a real threat, albeit still a remote threat. Just the same as tornado and fire drills.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #258 on: June 03, 2022, 09:41:33 AM »

Perfect. The old "it might not work so why bother" response.

"Why bother" is what we've been doing for centuries. How has that been working for Gunmerica?

Keep voting for politicians who prioritize gun rights over human lives. That's your prerogative. But, like the politicians themselves, please don't claim you prioritize human lives.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
Because the number of school shootings has grown exponentially.
https://www.statista.com/chart/19982/number-of-us-k-12-school-shootings-per-decade/

1) Yes shootings are up, it’s a problem that deserves attention which I fully support.  There has been numerous small measures taken over the last 30 years to shore up background checks, red flag laws, limit magazines, etc and those measures don’t seem to be working.  My argument is we can pass all the laws we want but maniacs don’t follow laws so I think it’ll have little to no impact unfortunately.

2) I’m a helluva coach

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2022, 09:44:40 AM »
At work we now have added active shooter trainings. Also there’s cyber security training too that wasn’t very common all that long ago. Is that just for show too?

Places are adding it because it’s becoming a real threat, albeit still a remote threat. Just the same as tornado and fire drills.

It’s been a real threat for a long time.  And no training adults for rare but possible situations makes complete sense.  If the daycare wants to have instructor education on what to do in these situations that’s great, where I get a little uneasy is subjecting kids at that age to it.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2022, 09:46:52 AM »
Perfect. The old "it might not work so why bother" response.

"Why bother" is what we've been doing for centuries. How has that been working for Gunmerica?

Keep voting for politicians who prioritize gun rights over human lives. That's your prerogative. But, like the politicians themselves, please don't claim you prioritize human lives.

Goodness, your just one big liberal bumper sticker. 

No one is prioritizing gun rights over lives.  There can be an honest conversation from both sides without throwing garbage like that out there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #262 on: June 03, 2022, 09:49:09 AM »
Not saying it’s their fault, they can do whatever they want but I would argue it’s unnecessary and if it makes TAMU uncomfortable he should take that up with the daycare.

I am not uncomfortable that they are doing it, I am uncomfortable that we've gotten to a point where I can't argue that they aren't necessary.

This is what some people in this thread and Washington are advocating for. Guns aren't the problem, it's that the schools aren't secure enough. Pretty soon they'll be saying that parents should have sent their kids to school in body armor.

To be clear, the daycare isn't telling 2 year olds that "this is what you do when a gunman is in the building." The drill is for the teachers to practice what to do if an active shooter comes into the building while still having to wrangle 12 2 year olds. Talking to her teacher, it doesn't sound like it went well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #263 on: June 03, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »
I am not uncomfortable that they are doing it, I am uncomfortable that we've gotten to a point where I can't argue that they aren't necessary.

This is what some people in this thread and Washington are advocating for. Guns aren't the problem, it's that the schools aren't secure enough. Pretty soon they'll be saying that parents should have sent their kids to school in body armor.

To be clear, the daycare isn't telling 2 year olds that "this is what you do when a gunman is in the building." The drill is for the teachers to practice what to do if an active shooter comes into the building while still having to wrangle 12 2 year olds. Talking to her teacher, it doesn't sound like it went well.

Ok that all makes a little more sense.  Glad they’re sheltering the kids from the unfortunate possibilities that while incredibly rare could still happen and if you’re cool with it then it’s all good I suppose.

I just think it’s a little “trendy” to be adding active shooter drills now when there’s been school shootings going on for as long as there have been schools.

If the drill didn’t go well Pakuni would argue they’re just a bad teacher I guess.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #264 on: June 03, 2022, 09:57:02 AM »

No one is prioritizing gun rights over lives.  There can be an honest conversation from both sides without throwing garbage like that out there.

Actually, they are
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #265 on: June 03, 2022, 09:57:36 AM »

They might not be prioritizing guns over lives, but if you vote for a politician that opposes gun control, you are prioritizing whatever your reason is for voting for that candidate over meaningful gun control which does cost lives. In the last national elections, I voted mostly democrat even though I disagree with most of their economic policies. I accept responsibility for my part in supporting those economic policies even though I don't agree with them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #266 on: June 03, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »
Actually, they are

No they’re not.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2022, 09:59:37 AM »
I’m sure Canada has daycares, that’s always an option. Use your free will.
All Lives Matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2022, 10:00:15 AM »
They might not be prioritizing guns over lives, but if you vote for a politician that opposes gun control, you are prioritizing whatever your reason is for voting for that candidate over meaningful gun control which does cost lives. In the last national elections, I voted mostly democrat even though I disagree with most of their economic policies. I accept responsibility for my part in supporting those economic policies even though I don't agree with them.

If you don’t mind me asking what were the policies of those candidates that you voted for and valued above their economic views? Or was it more of a vote against the policies of the other candidate? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2022, 10:10:24 AM »
1) Yes shootings are up, it’s a problem that deserves attention which I fully support.  There has been numerous small measures taken over the last 30 years to shore up background checks, red flag laws, limit magazines, etc and those measures don’t seem to be working.  My argument is we can pass all the laws we want but maniacs don’t follow laws so I think it’ll have little to no impact unfortunately.

2) I’m a helluva coach
1. You keep saying this, but it's provably false. Again, states with stricter gun control see fewer gun deaths.
That said, are you saying we shouldn't have any laws? People drive drunk, despite DUI laws. People beat their spouses despite domestic violence laws. People steal despite theft laws. People molest kids despite sex abuse laws.
Why bother?

2. Unproven.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #270 on: June 03, 2022, 10:18:14 AM »
If you don’t mind me asking what were the policies of those candidates that you voted for and valued above their economic views? Or was it more of a vote against the policies of the other candidate?

It doesn't matter.

If I vote for Kodos because I like his tentacles, I also voted for the slave labor projects even if I really really really super ultra mega don't agree with them.

If I vote for a politician who has economic policies I super like because I love those economic polices, and gun control policies I super don't support, I voted for the gun control policies anyway *as a practical matter*. Frankly, what is in my heart doesn't matter in any way shape or form on the effect my voting choice has on the world.

It matters if I want to make myself feel better about my choice. Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2022, 11:11:24 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2022, 11:16:41 AM »
I know I’ve said this here before, but I am stunned that otherwise smart, incisive, witty posters continue to enable a troll who is here solely to argue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »

Honest conversation ... says the guy whose response was immediately to (incorrectly) label another Scooper.

You don't see me saying that "your" just one big gun-loving right-winger bumper sticker, do you?

Look, man, if you're not willing to prioritize human lives, that's your choice. Own it.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #274 on: June 03, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »
Honest conversation ... says the guy whose response was immediately to (incorrectly) label another Scooper.

You don't see me saying that "your" just one big gun-loving right-winger bumper sticker, do you?

Look, man, if you're not willing to prioritize human lives, that's your choice. Own it.

Are you serious right now?  In your second line you say you aren't calling me some gun-loving right winger.... and then in your very next line you call me exactly that just phrased a little different.

feedback