[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws  (Read 24658 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2022, 11:03:52 PM »
FWIW, my HS had 2, maybe 3, emergency exits I recall that had no door handles on outside.  You simply could not open from the outside.

You should let Sen. Cruz know.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2022, 05:21:50 AM »
Add hospitals to the list of buildings that should have one entrance.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2022, 06:42:09 AM »
Add hospitals to the list of buildings that should have one entrance.

Guns don’t kill people, multi-door entrances kill people.

It’s pretty remarkable how people simply won’t acknowledge guns are a problem in this country and do everything they can to protect them.

Put more locks on doors.  Give out harsher sentences.  Ban divorce.  Reinstate pot as an illegal drug across the country.  Ban video games.  Whatever you do, don’t limit access to guns.  We’re such an unserious country
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2022, 06:52:44 AM »
We need common sense fire control NOW!!
Nope. Per the right wing, everyone should have unlimited access to flamethrowers.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2022, 07:51:24 AM »

It’s pretty remarkable how people simply won’t acknowledge guns are a problem in this country and do everything they can to protect them.

Put more locks on doors.  Give out harsher sentences.  Ban divorce.  Reinstate pot as an illegal drug across the country.  Ban video games.  Whatever you do, don’t limit access to guns.  We’re such an unserious country

Think of how many lives would be saved if Scoop were banned!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2022, 08:07:00 AM »

Don't forget to identify "mental illness" as a problem, but then do nothing really to improve access to doctors who can help you with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
Uhhhh ... what happens if the fire is blocking the single school exit?
Burn, baby, burn.

are you guys really this dense or just purposely not being serious?  ONE school exit? i'm sure you know this, but there would be proposed ONE school entrance with all the other doors locked from the outside, but able to be opened from the inside.  we had those back in our day before evil people brought their guns to the no gun zone schools, churches, admin buildings, hospitals etc

i get all you guys trying to have fun with this, but just as ya'll would be berating us for the same-if you really want bipartisan support, you're going to have to get past the fact that there is a 2nd amendment and packing the courts and getting rid of filibuster are not bipartisan methods.

our kids deserve the same protection as our politicians, actors and legal carry
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
  are you guys really this dense or just purposely not being serious?  ONE school exit? i'm sure you know this, but there would be proposed ONE school entrance with all the other doors locked from the outside, but able to be opened from the inside.  we had those back in our day before evil people brought their guns to the no gun zone schools, churches, admin buildings, hospitals etc

Cops say yours and Sen. Cruz's idea is stupid.

But limiting schools to one access point is not a proposal grounded in reality, according to several school and safety experts.

Many schools have thousands of children, teachers and staff who could take hours to funnel in and out of a single entrance every day. Even more use portable buildings or have multiple buildings, with children and staff often moving among them. Not to mention that renovations to older schools, which officials say typically have more exterior entrances, put a heavy burden on local taxpayers.

“It is not feasible to think we’re going to ever get to the point where we have one door in and one door out,” said Bill Avera, chief of police and emergency manager for the Jacksonville Independent School District in East Texas and a board member of the Texas School Safety Center.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/28/uvalde-shooting-school-doors/

• All American
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2022, 08:20:52 AM »

i get all you guys trying to have fun with this, but just as ya'll would be berating us for the same-if you really want bipartisan support, you're going to have to get past the fact that there is a 2nd amendment and packing the courts and getting rid of filibuster are not bipartisan methods.

I'm trying to figure out what your excuse is going to be the next time there is a school shooting.  This time it's making sure all the doors are locked. 

I'm guessing aliens.  Because God knows the reason can't be easy access to firearms by those who could be dangerous.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2022, 08:31:45 AM »
Watching the cops deal with a domestic disagreement across the street.  Boyfriend in handcuffs.   Twice in the last week, similar situations in the area have ended as triple murder/suicides.   Angry husband/boyfriend/ex kills the woman and kids and then offs himself.     

Bad person + guns =  ....

Counting down the days until it happens across the street.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2022, 08:42:01 AM »

But limiting schools to one access point is not a proposal grounded in reality, according to several school and safety experts.

Many schools have thousands of children, teachers and staff who could take hours to funnel in and out of a single entrance every day. Even more use portable buildings or have multiple buildings, with children and staff often moving among them. Not to mention that renovations to older schools, which officials say typically have more exterior entrances, put a heavy burden on local taxpayers.

“It is not feasible to think we’re going to ever get to the point where we have one door in and one door out,” said Bill Avera, chief of police and emergency manager for the Jacksonville Independent School District in East Texas and a board member of the Texas School Safety Center.

Yessir. Dozens upon dozens of schools in the Charlotte area, including two where I coached, have numerous external buildings to house classes because enrollment has outgrown the original buildings. This is not unique to Charlotte, obviously. It's everywhere.

I'll be looking forward to the bill Cruz and his cronies draft that will allocate billions of taxpayer dollars -- actually, it might cost a trillion or more -- to update every single school to make it possible to have the kind of entrances these yahoos claim they want (but that law enforcement officials call impractical).

The "guns are fine, and in fact we want more of them" crowd have offered few if any reasonable suggestions while batting down ideas for regulations that the vast majority of Americans want.

That's what happens when politicians are beholden to a rich, powerful lobby that helps them keep their jobs.

Bang, bang, shoot, shoot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2022, 08:55:50 AM »
That's what happens when politicians are beholden to a rich, powerful lobby that helps them keep their jobs.

The NRA is a big part of the problem, but I place more blame on our current system of government. Primary elections, gerrymandering, voter suppression, and no term limits for senators, all combine to create a country where the 10% of our population on the far right are represented by 50% of our senators. There are more moderate conservatives who would appeal to a greater population of conservative voters and even some moderate liberal voters, but they never make it to the ballot because primary elections weed out the moderates and put the more fringe candidates on the ballot. The moderates that do make it through have to play to the far right base because if they don't, they won't survive the primaries during their next election cycle.

I'd say we should put term limits on senators, but senators would never vote to limit their own power. Maybe we can get some traction on removing or restructuring primary elections. I think it would lead to a government that was more representative of the people they are supposed to be serving.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »

So you think it is acceptable that my 2 year old now has to do active shooter drills at her daycare? That's normal and just something we should be okay with?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2022, 09:08:08 AM »

It’s equally unrealistic that there’s ever going to be major gun ownership reform.  So both sides are just screaming into the wind I guess.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2022, 09:12:49 AM »
The NRA is a big part of the problem, but I place more blame on our current system of government. Primary elections, gerrymandering, voter suppression, and no term limits for senators, all combine to create a country where the 10% of our population on the far right are represented by 50% of our senators. There are more moderate conservatives who would appeal to a greater population of conservative voters and even some moderate liberal voters, but they never make it to the ballot because primary elections weed out the moderates and put the more fringe candidates on the ballot. The moderates that do make it through have to play to the far right base because if they don't, they won't survive the primaries during their next election cycle.

I'd say we should put term limits on senators, but senators would never vote to limit their own power. Maybe we can get some traction on removing or restructuring primary elections. I think it would lead to a government that was more representative of the people they are supposed to be serving.

💯 agree with all of this TAMU aside from the suggestion that gerrymandering, Fri her candidates, etc are a problem only because of the far right.  8 year term limit for all federally elected positions from the top to the bottom.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #240 on: June 03, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »
Bad person + guns =  ....

Thing is, it doesn’t even really have to be a “bad person”, at least not if you define that as someone who has previously shown particular aggression or had brushes with the law. The proliferation of weapons allows a spur of the moment decision to result in multiple murders.

What we really need is term limits on Supreme Court Justices. We’re at the point where we have the most radical court in memory now rendering blatantly political decisions without really bothering to come up with legal justifications as we saw in Heller, and one that certainly doesn’t represent the winners of 6 of the last 7 popular votes for President.

I love the idea that each President gets to appoint 2 supreme court justices, with the 2 who have served the longest rolling off each time. Until the Court is fixed, they are likely to simply strike down anything that doesn't fit their political view.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2022, 09:14:43 AM »
So you think it is acceptable that my 2 year old now has to do active shooter drills at her daycare? That's normal and just something we should be okay with?

No that is not normal at all for a daycare to be doing this.  I’d suggest looking for a new daycare or bringing up your concerns to the leadership at that daycare.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #242 on: June 03, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
Thing is, it doesn’t even really have to be a “bad person”, at least not if you define that as someone who has previously shown particular aggression or had brushes with the law. The proliferation of weapons allows a spur of the moment decision to result in multiple murders.

What we really need is term limits on Supreme Court Justices. We’re at the point where we have the most radical court in memory now rendering blatantly political decisions without really bothering to come up with legal justifications as we saw in Heller, and one that certainly doesn’t represent the winners of 6 of the last 7 popular votes for President.

I love the idea that each President gets to appoint 2 supreme court justices, with the 2 who have served the longest rolling off each time. Until the Court is fixed, they are likely to simply strike down anything that doesn't fit their political view.

Not the worst idea you’ve ever come up with.  I think something a little longer then 8 years for SC justices (12-16) is something I could get behind.

• All American
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
No that is not normal at all for a daycare to be doing this.  I’d suggest looking for a new daycare or bringing up your concerns to the leadership at that daycare.

LOL...yeah.  This is the fault of the daycare.  ::)

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2022, 09:18:16 AM »

LOL...yeah.  This is the fault of the daycare.  ::)

Not saying it’s their fault, they can do whatever they want but I would argue it’s unnecessary and if it makes TAMU uncomfortable he should take that up with the daycare.

• All American
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2022, 09:18:16 AM »
It’s equally unrealistic that there’s ever going to be major gun ownership reform.  So both sides are just screaming into the wind I guess.

I actually think the door is open to something small as a first step.  Universal background checks, waiting periods, age limits for certain weapons.

• All American
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
Not saying it’s their fault, they can do whatever they want but I would argue it’s unnecessary and if it makes TAMU uncomfortable he should take that up with the daycare.

I don't think he is uncomfortable that they are actually doing them.  He is uncomfortable that they feel the need to do them due to the possibility that it may occur.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2022, 09:20:07 AM »

Excellent points.

Absolutely ... it's the fault of daycares and schools that they need to have active-shooter drills.

Not to mention all the accidental shootings -- one family member inadvertently pulling the trigger to kill another, a gun going off when dropped, a bullet ricocheting -- as well as suicides.

But you know ...

More guns please!

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2022, 09:21:19 AM »
I actually think the door is open to something small as a first step.  Universal background checks, waiting periods, age limits for certain weapons.

Ya I can get behind all that but it won’t make a lick of difference on gun deaths in America.  Just your standard “we must do something” type legislation.  Limit magazine size I still believe will save the most lives but even that will not stop someone from buying illegally somehow someway.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »

I don't think he is uncomfortable that they are actually doing them.  He is uncomfortable that they feel the need to do them due to the possibility that it may occur.

The possibility has always been there, why the sudden need to drill 2 year olds on mass situation situations?  It is still an incredibly rare occurrence for these types of things to happen in schools.  Me thinks they’re looking for attention.