collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playoff hockey, still the best  (Read 4969 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Playoff hockey, still the best
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
What a blast tonight at the Mellon Arena for game 4.  I've had the priviledge of attending every major sporting event's championship from the Super Bowl to the Final Four, World Series, NBA, etc.....I still believe the NHL Playoffs are the most incredible to be at live in person.

I know the game will never be adopted fully in this country like the NFL or other sports, but it's still such a gas to watch playoff hockey. Nothing better in my opinion.

Crowd was jumping tonight, with another 5000 or so outside the arena in lawn chairs watching on a portable screen.  Fantastic atmosphere.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
Re: Playoff hockey, still the best
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »
lucky. thats pretty awesome. as someone who is in no way a hockey fan, i have always dreamed of attending a championship hockey game, the crowd looks so intense. after hockey, what would you rank the rest?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
The problem with hockey is it is a blast and one of the most fun sports to see in person, however it is quite boring to watch on a tv.  It is the same with Soccer, and it is one of the reasons why this country will never adopt it as a big-time sport.

I still think instead of trying to get soccer going in America, it would be easier to get the American people interested in rugby.  The game is fantastic, when you know the rules it is one of the most beautiful sports to watch, plus there is a lot of action/hitting, something as Americans we apparently live for. (And it is non-stop action, unlike football where every 15 seconds you have a 40 second break).
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »
The game is fantastic, when you know the rules it is one of the most beautiful sports to watch, plus there is a lot of action/hitting, something as Americans we apparently live for. (And it is non-stop action, unlike football where every 15 seconds you have a 40 second break).

The slim chance may get a little bigger since the NFL is practically putting speed limits on its defensive players who comes in to try to make tackles now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:04:58 AM »
The problem with hockey is it is a blast and one of the most fun sports to see in person, however it is quite boring to watch on a tv.  It is the same with Soccer, and it is one of the reasons why this country will never adopt it as a big-time sport.

I still think instead of trying to get soccer going in America, it would be easier to get the American people interested in rugby.  The game is fantastic, when you know the rules it is one of the most beautiful sports to watch, plus there is a lot of action/hitting, something as Americans we apparently live for. (And it is non-stop action, unlike football where every 15 seconds you have a 40 second break).

I would prefer Lacrosse over Rugby.

I would watch more Hockey if I had a home team to cheer for... I semi adopted the Wings a few years back... but its just not the same.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:24:52 AM »
The problem with hockey is it is a blast and one of the most fun sports to see in person, however it is quite boring to watch on a TV. 

I think hockey's excitement level on TV has increased exponentially since HD has taken over.  That being said, it still pales in comparison to a live arena.

I am pumped the Pens have turned this into a series, hopefully they can steal one at the Joe and take home a cup.  Crosby and Malkin have been playing out of their minds this post season.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »
I would prefer Lacrosse over Rugby.

I would watch more Hockey if I had a home team to cheer for... I semi adopted the Wings a few years back... but its just not the same.

I watched the college Lacrosse championships, was wildly entertained.  I then watched a Pro-LaCrosse match the other day, just wasn't the same.  The rules were changed, and wasn't that great.

Rugby has everything that us Americans look for.  Hitting, check.  Scoring, check.  Easy to understand rules, check.  Beer, check.

Also, with all the hoopla of the refs ruining the NBA playoffs, there is only 1 sir, and his impact on the game isn't much.

Honestly, who doesn't want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83U_Vg1GRvA
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
agreed that hockey playoffs are second to none.  Was watching it last night over the NBA finals, baseball, and soccer. Even watching it on SD, just the noise the crowd makes and the fact that the Pens scored 3 times in under 6 minutes makes it so much more exciting than any other sports post season.  Never know what will happen! Hopefully it goes the full 7 so I can enjoy hockey a little bit longer this year.

Rugby would be amazing in the states. Catch it on Setanta or ESPN360 when i can, even without a specific team to follow it's great.

I think a lot of the reason people have a hard time watching soccer is because they don't understand all of the details to the game. I watched the US vs Costa Rica WC qualifier and that was a bore but DC United against NY Redbulls was mildly entertaining last night when the hockey game wasn't on. When individuals understand the smaller details of the game, it's an amazing sport.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
agreed that hockey playoffs are second to none.  Was watching it last night over the NBA finals, baseball, and soccer. Even watching it on SD, just the noise the crowd makes and the fact that the Pens scored 3 times in under 6 minutes makes it so much more exciting than any other sports post season.  Never know what will happen! Hopefully it goes the full 7 so I can enjoy hockey a little bit longer this year.

Rugby would be amazing in the states. Catch it on Setanta or ESPN360 when i can, even without a specific team to follow it's great.

I think a lot of the reason people have a hard time watching soccer is because they don't understand all of the details to the game. I watched the US vs Costa Rica WC qualifier and that was a bore but DC United against NY Redbulls was mildly entertaining last night when the hockey game wasn't on. When individuals understand the smaller details of the game, it's an amazing sport.

I agree.  During college I lived with a few guys who were on the university's soccer team.  Soccer was constantly on the TV, and I got use to watching it.  I started to learn about the game, and when you have knowledge on the game, watching players like Christiano Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Drogba, Rooney, Kaka, Zidane, you gain a ton of respect of what these players can do with their feet.

Theres multiple reasons why soccer will never make it into the states (no real season like NFL, MLB, NBA... too slow (for those who don't understand), not enough scoring, game can end in ties) ... however watch the World Cup, just an unreal thought of national pride comes through those games.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:33:39 PM by Mayor McCheese »

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
Living in Pittsburgh for a year got me back into hockey. That city is hockey crazy. Overall, I think the playoffs have been great this year. Lots of high-scoring games and game 7s.

While I've never been to an NHL playoff game, I don't think it could compare to seeing a World Cup game in person. I've been to two World Cups and there is no comparison to that atmosphere, especially if you get the chance to see the host country play. To have 60 or 70,000 fans standing and singing for 90 + minutes is an amazing thing to be a part of. Plus, the partying outside the stadiums goes on all day and there is often an element of danger in the air. Hoping to get tickets to the cup next year. I'm completely addicted.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
Nothing compares to being at the FF as a senior student when your team wins.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:59:26 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
Nothing compares to being at the FF as a senior student when you're team wins.

Did you wear plaid?  There have to be some cool pictures you can post for us from 1977.   ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »
Did you wear plaid?  There have to be some cool pictures you can post for us from 1977.   ;D

I did and the pants were polyester. I was one of the first to rush the court when it ended. NBC Sports, the network that televised the games, caught it on tape. Still have a  remnant of the net as well.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
Nothing compares to being at the FF as a senior student when your team wins.

I would agree any time someone's own team is in it, that's special.  My original comments were meant as a 3rd party.  I had no true interest in either team last night, but you couldn't help but be flush with enthusiasm.  I cannot say the same for other events I've been to where I had no rooting interest. 

To quote Chris Matthews, last night I had a tingle go up my leg.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:03 PM »

To quote Chris Matthews, last night I had a tingle go up my leg.

Did you check the bedsheet? Normally that should have ended by now.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
I watched the college Lacrosse championships, was wildly entertained.  I then watched a Pro-LaCrosse match the other day, just wasn't the same.  The rules were changed, and wasn't that great.

Rugby has everything that us Americans look for.  Hitting, check.  Scoring, check.  Easy to understand rules, check.  Beer, check.

Also, with all the hoopla of the refs ruining the NBA playoffs, there is only 1 sir, and his impact on the game isn't much.

Honestly, who doesn't want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83U_Vg1GRvA

While the All Black's Haka is intimidating, it's kind of awkward if you actually know what they're saying to the other team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_Mate

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »

Mayor McCheese you are the love of my life.

Was at the Wales vs. USA rugby game Saturday at Toyota Park. It was a very fun time, despite the game being a blowout and only having half the lower bowl filled.
If rugby does want to be succesful in US, they should televise games on Saturdays in the spring, aftrthe football season (because that is when top level men's rugby is played here in the US and around the world).

On 4th of July ESPN HD will televise live the US vs. Canada a Rugby World Cup qualifing game.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »
I have an offer on the table from my good friend (and former teammate) that next Rugby World Cup (2011), the offer is to visit him in Ireland during the WC.  Needless to say if(most likely will) I go, I might be dead before coming back.

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
I have an offer on the table from my good friend (and former teammate) that next Rugby World Cup (2011), the offer is to visit him in Ireland during the WC.  Needless to say if(most likely will) I go, I might be dead before coming back.

yo McCheese

Did you play rugby for MU at all? If so are you going to be at the 40 year reunion?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
yo McCheese

Did you play rugby for MU at all? If so are you going to be at the 40 year reunion?

I played rugby at UW-Platteville, we ate MU for breakfast