[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

More conference realignment talk by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: FBS board produces a formal proposal to split Division I down football lines  (Read 1820 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
FBS board produces a formal proposal to split Division I down football lines
http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-news-analysis/2013/10/1/4789334/fbs-board-produces-a-formal-proposal-to-split-division-i-down

There has been a lot of talk about the creation of a "Division 4," in college athletics, to accommodate the needs of the largest earners and spenders in big time college sports. Now, the concept is beginning to take better shape, and the first formal proposal for a split has been made public. The Division I-A Faculty Athletics Representatives (FAR) released a proposal to form a new division within the NCAA.

Initial speculation ranged from the BCS schools leaving the NCAA structure entirely, separating into their own division to forming a new football-only subdivision within Division I. The proposal produced by FAR suggest something between the final two options.

This proposal outlines a plan in which the majority of schools and conferences currently in Division I-FBS would separate from the FCS and non-football schools within Division I of the NCAA and form a new division. In many of the non-football sports, however, it is envisioned that these football schools would also participate in the post-season competitions as the FCS and non-football schools.

The purpose of the split is for the schools earning the most revenue and with the most spending power in Division I to be able to play under a different set of rules. Previous plans to offer stipends to cover the full cost of attendance for Student-Athletes that were put forward by those BCS schools were tabled by the NCAA well over a year ago, when more than 160 schools — mostly smaller athletic programs — objected.

As the proposal states:

The FBS must be the master of its own fate, particularly with regard to matters of enhancement of the student-athlete experience that depend on increased revenue allocation.
The FAR proposal goes into details on governance and structure of the new division, but more interesting,The new division proposed would create a harder line in football and a blurred line in the other sports, essentially.

The FAR board supports a new division, "more closely aligned in resources dedicated to athletics programs and in types of issues faced," according to FAR president Brian Shannon, a Texas Tech law professor.

"There is wide consensus that the current Division I governance model is not working," said Jo Potuto, Nebraska constitutional law professor and past president of the I-A FAR. "A separate FBS division offers more streamlined governance among schools with comparable revenue streams."
For football, it's the end of the I-A/FBS and I-AA/FCS designations, essentially. In the other sports, the BCS schools and perhaps most of the rest of FBS would have their cake and eat it too; they would play for the same NCAA titles in basketball and other sports, but do so under a different set of rules, that won't be available to the schools left behind in Division I.

The move, thus far, is being driven by FBS football interests, particularly those of the schools in the five-highest revenue conferences. The proposal produced today was non-committal about the inclusiveness of the new division, though it would seem like the proposal intends to exclude. The FAR wrote that one of the reasons for a separate division for FBS football schools was the relative ease for other Division I institutions to move up from I-AA (which is, ironically, a move that was subject to an only-recently ended moratorium and new, more restrictive rules).

An FBS remaining as part of Division I is less likely to maintain its integrity over time as a separate voting entity and would likely be unable to avoid the experience under the current governance structure in which institutions and conferences with very different resources and facing either different issues, or the same issues but in different degrees of acuteness, were able to move to Division IA or Division I FBS, thereby recreating the need for a separate FBS voice.
For the new Big East conference, a move like this would potentially be a blow to momentum that is being built up in basketball already. The recruiting successes of conference schools that have been made since the league was announced could be negated in the future by a new division that can offer basketball athletes a stipend or full-cost of attendance.

That, however, hasn't been determined yet, and the FAR proposal may not be the only one or the final one.

"Obviously, there is a fair amount of debate concerning the governance issue, and we are starting to see various constituents/stakeholders staking out their positions on the matter," Villanova AD Vince Nicastro wrote to VUhoops. Those constituents include the Division I-A Athletic Directors and NACDA, who have not publicized any recommendation just yet.

The premise that changes to Division I governance needs to be discussed, however, is one that Villanova seems to accept. Particularly the ability to offer "some greater autonomy and flexibility" to the schools "at the top of the food chain," and specifically at the highest level of football.

"I think we all would like some flexibility to make decisions on a sport-specific basis from time to time. We [the Big East] want to compete at the national level across a number of sports, so our objective as a conference will be to stay aligned with them (the Big 5 conferences) as much as possible."

Indeed, Villanova and the Big East will be looking for a way to stay at the table when it comes to the highest levels of basketball. Partially due to their current hold on that status, and perhaps more importantly, to ensure that the ever-important media dollars continue to flow in from the likes of Fox Sports.

The next big date to circle on this debate will be the NCAA's convention in January. There, Nicastro expects a number of proposals and models for change — to include the FAR model that was released recently — to be put on the table for discussion. After that convention, the picture of where the NCAA's top division is heading should become clearer.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Norm

• All American
I don't see how, if the football schools stayed in the NCAA, they would be able to offer stipends or full cost of school awards and the other schools could not. I could see letting them govern by themselves how a football playoff system was initiated, money sharing between football schools, practice time, etc... But when it cam to scholarship type decisions, I don't think they'd be allowed to do something that differs from other non-football schools. Now, other schools may not be able to afford it, but they should be given the opportunity if they choose to take it and find a way to pay for it.

source?

• All American
If this happened they would either have to separate from the NCAA for football only and follow NCAA rules in all other sports, or separate from the NCAA entirely and form their own association. In the first scenario it's not really different then it is now, just a more formal separation. In the second scenario they would have to take several conferences with them in order to fill out a 68 or 64 team NCAA tournament bracket and not have a bunch of sub .500 teams, and to fill out their non-rev sports. The Big East would likely be the top of that list. There's no way they can offer payments within the NCAA structure.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:48:08 PM by striker14 »

GGGG

• All American
If this happened they would either have to separate from the NCAA for football only and follow NCAA rules in all other sports, or separate from the NCAA entirely and form their own association. In the first scenario it's not really different than it is now, just a more formal separation. In the second scenario they would have to take several conferences with them in order to fill out a 68 or 64 team NCAA tournament bracket and not have a bunch of sub .500 teams, and to fill out their non-rev sports. The Big East would likely be the top of that list. There's no way they can offer payments within the NCAA structure.

Sure they can.  They can just increase the value of the scholarship within their own division.

For basketball, and other sports, they can invite the other D1 schools to "play up," and those schools would have have financial reason to accept that invitation.  (The value of the NCAA tournament is tied greatly to the audience that the BCS schools bring in.)

source?

• All American

Sure they can.  They can just increase the value of the scholarship within their own division.

For basketball, and other sports, they can invite the other D1 schools to "play up," and those schools would have have financial reason to accept that invitation.  (The value of the NCAA tournament is tied greatly to the audience that the BCS schools bring in.)

If we are invited to "play up" then that would probably mean under the same rules, no? That would be fine for the Big East, where the revenues are high enough to afford stipends, not so much for most other non-P5 conferences.

GGGG

• All American
If we are invited to "play up" then that would probably mean under the same rules, no? That would be fine for the Big East, where the revenues are high enough to afford stipends, not so much for most other non-P5 conferences.

I think that's pretty much the point of their exercise.

Either that or they will let the stipends be optional.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
I'm a little confused.  How is this proposal defining FBS schools vs. the FCS and other non-football playing schools?  Or are they splitting it as the Top 5 football conferences (Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, and SEC) vs everyone else?  Currently C-USA, Mid American, Mountain West, etc. are in the FBS when it comes to football.

feedback