[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Silver Warrior on Transfers  (Read 5564 times)

tower912

• All American
Silver Warrior on Transfers
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Board/104085/Contents/Transfer-Rate-115374539

Yeah, it is the scout board.   But it is a sobering look at the percentage of players since 2000 who have entered MU as freshmen and actually stayed 4 years.     So as optimistic as we are about next year, it must be looked at through the prism of these statistics.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Silver Warrior on Transfers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
Just for the record they're saying its impossible to build a consistently good program with these numbers but 11 NCAA appearances and three other postseasons (1 of which was a legit team till Travis's injury) seems pretty consistently good. What is the national average again?
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
40%
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
I admittedly didn't read the whole post, but given that 4-5 of our best players over the past 7-8 years were JUCOs (and Wade), that percentage is going to be higher. We relied on JUCOs a hell of a lot more than most teams.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
40%

Is that for all D1 schools? What about the Power 6 conferences. What about the just the Big East.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Board/104085/Contents/Transfer-Rate-115374539

Yeah, it is the scout board.   But it is a sobering look at the percentage of players since 2000 who have entered MU as freshmen and actually stayed 4 years.     So as optimistic as we are about next year, it must be looked at through the prism of these statistics.

I think we'll have a guy or two end up thinking we're a bit too deep and look for greener pastures this summer. As a coach, this has to be frustrating to continually deal with, but at the same time, maybe there's some learning to glean from it as well. Hopefully the numbers will decrease for Wojo as he continues to recruit and build out the rosters.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
I normally agree that there will be a transfer or two almost every year except I do not see it for next year,  they have 12 players for next year, MU has the following:

Freshman-  Joey Hauser
                   Ike redshirt year and medical issue - he is staying
                   Bailey doubt it

Sophs     -  Cain, Elliott and John  maybe one

Juniors   -  Hauser, Anim (redshirt already), Froling (transferred to MU), Howard, Morrow (transferred to MU)

Senior    - Heldt no

I can only see possibly one of the freshman, hope not,  Froling maybe goes back to Australia, other then
that I see none of the other players leaving.  Elliott can see PT time next year so why leave, so Cain maybe.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
I admittedly didn't read the whole post, but given that 4-5 of our best players over the past 7-8 years were JUCOs (and Wade), that percentage is going to be higher. We relied on JUCOs a hell of a lot more than most teams.

The post takes it into account if you read through to the end.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
I can only see possibly one of the freshman, hope not,  Froling maybe goes back to Australia, other then
that I see none of the other players leaving.  Elliott can see PT time next year so why leave, so Cain maybe.

When you look at the depth chart projections for each position, that's when it starts to look a bit more likely, in my opinion any way. Froling going to play pro in Australia doesn't seem like it would be too far out of the question. Theo has been progressing a lot, and Morrow is expected to get a ton of minutes. That could end up frustrating Harry. The other piece to consider is the potential of a grad transfer PG. That would take away minutes from Cain and Elliott, who are already two of the mostly likely transfer candidates. On the other hand, they seem like team first guys, so they may be OK with not seeing a big increase in minutes from this year to next.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
Honestly, the number is barely relevant to me. Of those 29, six transferred to a P6 program. If kids are transferring down a level, a lot of times that means MU got a better player at their spot. Such is life.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Honestly, the number is barely relevant to me. Of those 29, six transferred to a P6 program. If kids are transferring down a level, a lot of times that means MU got a better player at their spot. Such is life.

I understand that is the way it goes and I agree that most transfers we have had have not hurt us all that much.  The ones that bother me are the contributors.  The current team really could have used Traci Carter or Duane Wilson, for example.  I understand their roles would not have been as large as they would have wanted, so very difficult to keep them here.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
Only one i could see is Harry.  He now realizes where he stands.  If he spends the next 9 months getting exponentially tougher n more physical he could be fine.  If he is mentally as soft as his current game i would guess he would slide off to easier pastures.  Gut check time for Mr. Froling
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
Only one i could see is Harry.  He now realizes where he stands.  If he spends the next 9 months getting exponentially tougher n more physical he could be fine.  If he is mentally as soft as his current game i would guess he would slide off to easier pastures.  Gut check time for Mr. Froling

Agree totally!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »

Is pro ball in Australia really easier pastures?  Because I doubt the guy wants to drop down a level and sit out another year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
Is pro ball in Australia really easier pastures?  Because I doubt the guy wants to drop down a level and sit out another year.

He is sort of sitting out now with reduced minutes. Logjam upfront next year so who knows.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »
Froling or Heldt are biggest opportunists for transfers in my opinion.  Id put either at 50%

Howard and Hauser are 0%

John comes in with a 30% due to his father. Elliot and Cain are both around 10%

Eke gets a 30% as well

Freshman are a 3%

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
Froling or Heldt are biggest opportunists for transfers in my opinion.  Id put either at 50%

Howard and Hauser are 0%

Eke gets a 30% as well

Freshman are a 3%

Matt isn't transferring. Ike isn't going to either after sitting out this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
Heldt's not going to transfer.  He'll be a senior and will see significant playing time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
Heldt's not going to transfer.  He'll be a senior and will see significant playing time.

Yep.  No chance of Matt leaving.  If either center leaves, it'll be Harry.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Aye, and thats exactly what people said of Duane Wilson. Theres a jam in the front court. A senior who already has seen games where hes logged <5 minutes this year with a Freshman, sophmore, and junior capable of playing the same position. There is a definite chance Heldt transfers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
Aye, and thats exactly what people said of Duane Wilson. Theres a jam in the front court. A senior who already has seen games where hes logged <5 minutes this year with a Freshman, sophmore, and junior capable of playing the same position. There is a definite chance Heldt transfers.

Except that Duane wasn't going to get the starting PG spot and was graduating compared to Matt reasonably anticipating starting and only being a Junior now.

Seriously, Matt's chances of thinking something is better after sitting out a year compared to being the likely starting center (even if his minutes peak at 18-20) on a up and coming P6 team is extremely low.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »

Wilson had aspirations of playing pro ball.  Matt's future is with his degree. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »

Howard and Hauser are 0%

Eke gets a 30% as well

Freshman are a 3%

Eke isn't going to burn a year of eligibility to transfer.

What's wrong with John's dad?

Heldt absolutely loves Marquette and as others have said, isn't going to improve on his role elsewhere. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
So I see Harry is the new Luke for you, hey?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
Eke isn't going to burn a year of eligibility to transfer.

What's wrong with John's dad?

Heldt absolutely loves Marquette and as others have said, isn't going to improve on his role elsewhere.
Yes, please clarify?
Goal is National Championship