[Today at 12:54:39 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tues night is a hoops lover's dream  (Read 8341 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Tues night is a hoops lover's dream
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
On top of seeing MU play, you're also treated to #1 UK vs #2 MSU, and Wiggins vs Jabari (Kansas vs Duke).  Can't wait to see manchild, Julius Randle and UK's other frosh, against G-Harris and B-Dawson.

You also get #10 Florida @ #20 Wisco and #14 VCU @ #24 UVA, and a slew of other ranked teams in action.

Has there ever been a night (outside the tourney) with so many marquee games?  I only wish there was a way to turn-off the ticker. 

Forget Tuesday night, how about the next 36 hours of hoops with the ESPN Tip Off Marathon??
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
I agree that it hurts our RPI but that's not the only factor that goes into scheduling. Early season matchups against cupcakes are a necessary evil in college basketball. You wanna give your players a few warmup games before facing the opponents that matter. But these cupcakes will not come and get pummeled in the Bradley for free. We need to pay them. And the worse the team, the cheaper the cupcake. And Grambling is about as cheap as it comes.

So if the administration decided that they needed to save some money by scheduling a team that will drain our RPI slightly, that is fine by me.

I agree with the thought process.  But when you go as low and cheap as Grambling, why not bring in a D2 team?  Surely one can be had for the same price as Grambling (particularly those who won't be traveling as far).  They'll give a better game, and they won't have an impact on the SOS and RPI since they're N/As for the calculations where Grambling isn't.  Some of the games (IUPUI, UNH) can be seen as a gamble, that there's a chance they'll be better this year.  But Grambling is a lock to have an RPI worse than 330, and will be lucky to win a game again, maybe even go another year where every loss is double digits.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I agree with the thought process.  But when you go as low and cheap as Grambling, why not bring in a D2 team?  Surely one can be had for the same price as Grambling (particularly those who won't be traveling as far).  They'll give a better game, and they won't have an impact on the SOS and RPI since they're N/As for the calculations where Grambling isn't.  Some of the games (IUPUI, UNH) can be seen as a gamble, that there's a chance they'll be better this year.  But Grambling is a lock to have an RPI worse than 330, and will be lucky to win a game again, maybe even go another year where every loss is double digits.

Same reason they don't play exhibition games: costs money to rent the BC and attendance would be much lower.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

When you bring in a D2 team, it counts as an exhibition game. That means Marquette would have had to cancel one of their two closed-door scrimmages they had this year with Illinois State and Virginia. The staff loves these as a better teaching event than a D2 game would be with greater opportunities to coach the guys by resetting and replaying scenarios, getting out on the court, and building inroads with other D1 programs without the necessity for a home-and-home.

Grambling is what it is. A guaranteed win and probably dirt cheap since they are only paying travel costs once for 2 games. 2-3 of these games are fine. Southern is fine because they will probably finish top-200 in RPI, you just have to hope that out of Grambling, New Hampshire, IUPUI, Ball State, and Samford, at least 2 of them can not completely suck, cracking the top-200. My hopes are for Ball State and Samford, both of which return the bulk of their players from last year and were at least somewhat competitive in conference play. Get those two to be decent and you only likely have 3 real RPI drags, especially as the Cal State Fullerton game will count as a true road game, boosting its value even if they can't challenge Long Beach State in the Big West.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Same reason they don't play exhibition games: costs money to rent the BC and attendance would be much lower.

So attendance is going to be significantly more for Grambling than any of Minnesota State, UW-Parkside, Wayne State, or Lewis College?  Don't buy it.

When you bring in a D2 team, it counts as an exhibition game. That means Marquette would have had to cancel one of their two closed-door scrimmages they had this year with Illinois State and Virginia.

Does it count against a limit if you place it as a regular season game in your schedule?  i.e. Wichita State is 1-0 now despite the win being against a D2 team because it was a regular game, not an exhibition.  Wright State also played one exhibition against a DII team, and in addition has two regular season games scheduled against DII teams.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:28:25 AM by chapman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Wrong.  So if we lose and that's the only game Grambling wins all year the selection committee won't consider that?  On the other hand, if we win, it's basically a non-event but has a drag on our RPI.  On the flip side, if we beat Ohio State, will that be irrelevant by the end of the season?  I get that a win over a cupcake team is not going to hurt us in the long run, but the truth is that we'd probably be better off not playing Grambling than playing them and winning.  Not that complicated.

If we lose we have bigger problems than the selection committee. DePaul beat this team by 30 points.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
I have no problem playing Grambling. We didn't know they would go 0-28 last year when we scheduled them. These things are done years in advance.

Southern was an above-average cupcake for MU. I wouldn't even call them a cupcake. They were an NCAA team last year and probably will be again. Southern and Grambling will even eachother out RPI-wise.

And frankly, after the Southern game, we need a real cupcake to build confidence, fine-tune things and get everyone some PT before Ohio State. This is a perfect game for that.

Our SOS will be just fine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
So attendance is going to be significantly more for Grambling than any of Minnesota State, UW-Parkside, Wayne State, or Lewis College?  Don't buy it.

Does it count against a limit if you place it as a regular season game in your schedule?  i.e. Wichita State is 1-0 now despite the win being against a D2 team because it was a regular game, not an exhibition.  Wright State also played one exhibition against a DII team, and in addition has two regular season games scheduled against DII teams.

I'd say on a tuesday yes the crowd would be worse, but at least if it was on a weekend we might get an influx of visiting fans from schools like UW whitewater or UW Stephens Point
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
I have no problem playing Grambling. We didn't know they would go 0-28 last year when we scheduled them. These things are done years in advance.

Basketball schedules aren't done years in advance, except for return games, tournaments, etc.  This game was probably scheduled late spring / early summer. 

They wanted a game this week prior to OSU.  They probably only had the BC available on a couple of days.  They found the best deal they could fine.  Broeker knows what he is doing schedule wise.  I'm sure they wanted a better opponent, but since Grambling was in the area already, perhaps they saved some $$$.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
I'll be attending the double header at the UC ("we're happy for you!"), but my hope is that since the seats are in the box of a Milwaukee based company, they'll have the MU game on TV at the same time.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
D-2 does not count as a win. Does anyone actaully believe we will lose to Grambing? A win over Grambling gives you a win. A win over a division 2 team does not. Going 19-11 in other games makes you a bubble team. You are still 19-11 if you beat a division 2 team. You are 20-11 if you beat Grambling and that is better than 19-11. Having said that, I do not think we should intentially schedule a team that is going to be 300+ in the rankings.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
I'll be attending the double header at the UC ("we're happy for you!"), but my hope is that since the seats are in the box of a Milwaukee based company, they'll have the MU game on TV at the same time.

What MKE company has a box at the UC?  Miller or Harley seem like the only options, although given performance in recent years seems odd to spend the cash on a box outside of the corporate home market.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

I went and looked. According to the box scores, for the last two exhibitions that MU played (St. John's (MN) in 2009-10 and MSOE in 2010-11), Marquette lists attendance in the box score as over 13,500 for both games.

So you win, sir.

Although that may be paid attendance and therefore counts all of the season ticket holders, regardless of whether or not they showed up.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »

When it comes to Selection Sunday, that win will be stricken from their record. As bilsu rightly points out, the Selection Committee is going to look at your total D1 record. RPI, SOS, and all that will factor in, but wins and losses are still a big benchmark for a bubble team.

When Mike and Buzz put the schedule together, they are looking at worst-case scenarios. With Ohio State, Wisconsin, Arizona State, New Mexico, and a non-con tourney, that's potentially 5 losses. Getting to the Big Dance will likely need 20 wins, so they feel they need to be damn sure they are winning those other 8 games. That's why you see Grambling, New Hampshire, IUPUI, and Samford. Because they are guarantee games. Absolute, stone cold guaranteed locks of wins. If you schedule 1-2 D2 schools, suddenly you are sapping wins.

I get where you are coming from. I prefer teams in the 200-250 range to be the weakest teams on the schedule. But I fully understand why the athletic department schedules these games. When you have the risk of the high major opponents we have, you need a guaranteed reward in the other games. If you want to continue seeing teams like Ohio State, Vanderbilt, and Arizona State at the BC, and neutral site non-con games against the likes of Washington and New Mexico, you are going to continue to see some sub-300 teams. That's simply the way we schedule.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Minnesota State

Is there really such a school?

Death on call

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
What MKE company has a box at the UC?  Miller or Harley seem like the only options, although given performance in recent years seems odd to spend the cash on a box outside of the corporate home market.

Miller-Coors is a Chicago company.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
Miller-Coors is a Chicago company.

That was my guess as the change is recent, but he specifically stated a Milwaukee based company.  Both Miller and Harley have significant corporate presence in Chicago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
That was my guess as the change is recent, but he specifically stated a Milwaukee based company.  Both Miller and Harley have significant corporate presence in Chicago.

Robert W. Baird....Foley and Lardner...etc. etc. etc.  There are more than you think.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
Will be a fun night of basketball for sure. I'll be at the VCU/UVA game cheering on my Rams but will certainly keep track of the MU score on my phone.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »

Basketball schedules aren't done years in advance, except for return games, tournaments, etc.  This game was probably scheduled late spring / early summer. 

They wanted a game this week prior to OSU.  They probably only had the BC available on a couple of days.  They found the best deal they could fine.  Broeker knows what he is doing schedule wise.  I'm sure they wanted a better opponent, but since Grambling was in the area already, perhaps they saved some $$$.

+1

There's even a website where programs solicit opponents.  Kind of a strange twist on 'SWM seeking SWF'.  I'll bet the Athletic Department was totally committed to Tuesday and found a viable D-1 Buy Game opponent that was in the area.  Grambling may even have initiated the call looking for a 2 game trip.  Broeker has demonstrated his ability many times over the years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
My dream night will start in the late afternoon with my head-coaching debut.

Hopefully, after the girls 7th/8th grade team I'm coaching plays, I'll be in a great mood when I settle in to watch MU and other games!

Wish me luck, everybody. I need LOTS of luck.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
Is there really such a school?

I lived in Minnesota for awhile. It's not common but the other Minnesota public schools outside of the U of M Twin Cities are sometimes referred to as Minnesota State (insert city name). E.G. Minnesota State Duluth or Minnesota State Morris. Most choose to call them Minnesota Morris or even just Morris.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
I lived in Minnesota for awhile. It's not common but the other Minnesota public schools outside of the U of M Twin Cities are sometimes referred to as Minnesota State (insert city name). E.G. Minnesota State Duluth or Minnesota State Morris. Most choose to call them Minnesota Morris or even just Morris.

That isn't entirely accurate.  Duluth and Morris are part of the University of Minnesota System.  Mankato, Bemidji, etc. are part of the Minnesota State System. 

So you wouldn't refer to the Duluth campus as "Minnesota State Duluth" (and I have never heard it referred to that way)...it would be "Minnesota-Duluth." 

The State campuses have different ways they refer to themselves...Winona State...Minnesota State University, Mankato...Southwest Minnesota State...up to the campus apparently.

Wisconsin used to have two separate systems too.  The University of Wisconsin System (Madison, Parkside, Green Bay) merged with the Wisconsin State system (the rest of them) in the early 70s.  The "state" schools are former teacher's colleges...except Stout...long story.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
Robert W. Baird....Foley and Lardner...etc. etc. etc.  There are more than you think.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Baird even has season tickets at the Joyce.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback