'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James  (Read 9022 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Dominic James
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »

Second best FG% among the guards behind DJO...second in assists...third in rebounds...

For as much hype that Mayo has (deservedly) got here, Blue is actually a better shooter so far this year. 

Yeah...he "sucks at offense."

Vander definitely does NOT suck at offense because he can slash to the rim.  If Vander's outside shooting improves he will play in the NBA.  If it doesn't he will travel the same path as Jerel and Dominic.  My prediction here early in his sophomore year is that he has the work ethic and intellect to be a first round NBA draft choice.  If Clinic can learn to defend almost as well as Vander he also will be a first round NBA draft choice.  They both need to focus on opposite things to improve their games.  Both are immensely talented.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
I liked it better when I thought this was moving to Bulgarian women! Don't agree with trashing Vander who is getting better and better on offense to match a tenacious D

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
If you are can't hit a layup, you aren't that good on offense. Once he fixes that, he will be better.

You've said this before, and it's still stupid this time.

Vander had 2 huge dunks last game. Is he good now?

How many dunks/lay-ups does he need to make to be good at offense?

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
Does DJ have a twitter?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
Why are you talking about McNeal? Like he is some gold standard. The point is simple. If you are can't hit a layup, you aren't that good on offense. Once he fixes that, he will be better.

Ya, how dare you use one of MU's most prolific scorers in it's history as your gold standard for how a player develops over 4 years!

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
Anyone have the highlight of James blocking the Scotty Hopson dunk?  Possibly the greatest highlight of all-time.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »
Does DJ have a twitter?

Yes.  @NyceNeek

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »
Do you watch the games? Seriously, do you?

Do you watch the games professionally? Seriously, do you? DO YOU!?!

Well, neither do I ;D but here's what one NBA scout that was at the Washington game had to say about Blue:

Game Play: "This kid is really fast with the ball or on a dead sprint. Has great quickness, too. Blue looks like he's a combo guard with some passing talent. He made a number of nice touch passes and frequent skip or diagonal passes against a zone defense. I liked his overall court awareness. He knew when to use his athletic gifts and when to slow down. And he always knew where his teammates were. He handled the point guard duties well, though he had few chances to earn an assist. What he did do was move the ball well. He showed me enough to think he might be able to play full-time point guard in the NBA, in part because he did not force shots."

Basketball Tools: "Blue is a smooth dribbler with a nice perimeter shot. He mixed up his driving speeds well. He looked like he enjoyed playing defense and was up for the challenge of guarding Washington's talented guards without fouling."

Physical aptitude/comparables: "Built like Raja Bell, Blue is totally proportional (as opposed to so many freakishly long athletes) but plays with more athleticism than Bell ever did. Blue is able to play with burst, but he's normally very smooth while still moving quickly."

LINK to the full article.

Listen, I guess it's nice to get all Internet tough-guy, but you're disputing hard evidence simply because you don't like Blue. My guess is you've had a bias against him since last year. A lot of people have had that bias, and it's evident on these message boards. The simple truth is Blue is having a very good year and has been one of our three best players. And in games where his shot isn't falling, he's finding other ways (rebounds, assists, steals) to impact the game.

I think what surprises me most about it is people's constant need to discredit him, rather than accepting that he's becoming a really good player, and doing it against more than just the cupcakes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
Do you remember McNeal getting rejected time and time again while we blew a 9 point halftime lead to Cincinnati at home?  Do you remember him turning it over way more often than Blue?  Or do you just tune that out because he averaged more ppg while taking a ton more shots because we had no other option on those teams?
McNeal was awful as a freshman. Why would you use him to defend Blue? Makes no sense.

Incidentally, the NBA scout quoted by brewcity is absolutely wrong. Blue is not a "smooth dribbler with a nice perimeter shot" and I defy anybody to prove to me otherwise. This is a guy who still dribbles the ball off his foot. If you want to compare him to McNeal, start with ball handling. Jerel was a far better ball handler. Unfortunately, they are equals as decision makers. The NBA scout says Blue "mixes up his driving speeds." Again, he's so far off it's as if he has not watched him play. He predetermines what he's going to do with the ball possession by possession. When he fixes that he'll be better. We all hope he does. This season Blue is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year, by the way. Even his body language is better. So I have high hopes for him.  Arrow is pointed up.

As for the fans treatment of him, at least he doesn't dramatically "cramp up" every other game.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
Incidentally, the NBA scout quoted by brewcity is absolutely wrong.

I hope for his sake that his boss doesn't read this board, then.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »
McNeal was awful as a freshman. Why would you use him to defend Blue? Makes no sense.

That's exactly my point. Freshmen struggle. Blue was no different from McNeal as a freshman last year except he took a lot fewer shots because we didn't need him to be anything more than he was since we had other options on offense. He's clearly improved this year and will continue to improve. He has flaws offensively but doesn't "suck" like people want to believe.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »
Incidentally, the NBA scout quoted by brewcity is absolutely wrong.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but he's paid a lot more money than either you or I to make these evaluations, and my guess is he probably is far more adept at identifying a players skillset than anyone on this board.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
I liked it better when I thought this was moving to Bulgarian women! Don't agree with trashing Vander who is getting better and better on offense to match a tenacious D

+1 on the Bulgarian women comment
 :-*

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but he's paid a lot more money than either you or I to make these evaluations, and my guess is he probably is far more adept at identifying a players skillset than anyone on this board.
NBA scouts are not highly compensated and are, in fact, practically a thing of the past.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
Do you watch the games professionally? Seriously, do you? DO YOU!?!

Well, neither do I ;D but here's what one NBA scout that was at the Washington game had to say about Blue:

Game Play: "This kid is really fast with the ball or on a dead sprint. Has great quickness, too. Blue looks like he's a combo guard with some passing talent. He made a number of nice touch passes and frequent skip or diagonal passes against a zone defense. I liked his overall court awareness. He knew when to use his athletic gifts and when to slow down. And he always knew where his teammates were. He handled the point guard duties well, though he had few chances to earn an assist. What he did do was move the ball well. He showed me enough to think he might be able to play full-time point guard in the NBA, in part because he did not force shots."

Basketball Tools: "Blue is a smooth dribbler with a nice perimeter shot. He mixed up his driving speeds well. He looked like he enjoyed playing defense and was up for the challenge of guarding Washington's talented guards without fouling."

Physical aptitude/comparables: "Built like Raja Bell, Blue is totally proportional (as opposed to so many freakishly long athletes) but plays with more athleticism than Bell ever did. Blue is able to play with burst, but he's normally very smooth while still moving quickly."

LINK to the full article.

Listen, I guess it's nice to get all Internet tough-guy, but you're disputing hard evidence simply because you don't like Blue. My guess is you've had a bias against him since last year. A lot of people have had that bias, and it's evident on these message boards. The simple truth is Blue is having a very good year and has been one of our three best players. And in games where his shot isn't falling, he's finding other ways (rebounds, assists, steals) to impact the game.

I think what surprises me most about it is people's constant need to discredit him, rather than accepting that he's becoming a really good player, and doing it against more than just the cupcakes.

I don't disagree with the scout.  I didn't see "great finisher" or "good jump shot" anywhere there, correct?  I am not saying he shouldn't see the court.  I just think there is much to be desired on the offensive end.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

leever

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
+1 on the Bulgarian women comment
 :-*

Is that a melon in the picture?

LON

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
This thread is about James. And the other poster said he thought the way the way poster talked about James was bad. James did have a terrible jumper. And it probably is part of a reason why he doesnt play in the US.

Blue is not good on offense at this stage. He just isn't. Of course he can get better (much better), but right now he sucks on offense. Once he gets better, I'll say he is getting better.

I'd say his offensive game is below its potential at this point in his career.  But saying that wouldn't fit with your narrative.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
Loved everything about this kid when he played for us. Best of luck in Greece. Stay away from the everyday riots.

The way people treated him still disgusts me.

I was also a big fan of DJ. Super athlete who became a great on ball defender. Unfortunately his stroke was a weakness when he arrived and it never really improved. Reminscent of Chris Thomas (ND), another point guard who was a stud from day 1 who seemed destined for greatness but never developed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
I think Dominic James' biggest problem was that he didn't improve as much in the eyes of the fans as they thought he would. After his freshman year and his decision to come back, I'm sure many thought he'd be a lottery pick in the next few years. However, by his senior year his biggest improvements were defense and being a floor general. Fans couldn't point to the box score with those things or stats to show how he improved.

Also, I don't think Crean and his offense did him any favors. James being forced to shoot at the end of shot clocks sort of magnified his poor shooting. Buzz's offense allowed James to not have the bulk of the pressure on him to score and could play to his strengths better. I wonder if James didn't get injured and could show off his abilities in Buzz system in the huge 5 games at the end of the year and then in post-season tournaments, he may have had a better chance at latching on to an NBA team.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Is that a melon in the picture?

Melons?
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
I don't disagree with the scout.  I didn't see "great finisher" or "good jump shot" anywhere there, correct?  I am not saying he shouldn't see the court.  I just think there is much to be desired on the offensive end.

Jamail Jones was a highly regarded recruit, and he still barely see's the floor.

Are you concerned about his jumper and ability to make lay-ups?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
I'd say his offensive game is below its potential at this point in his career.  But saying that wouldn't fit with your narrative.

Missing open jumpers is one thing... Consistently missing layups or jumping in the air with the ball and coming down with the ball for a travel (on multiple occasions) is another.

I am over this.  Live in LA LA Land and think that he is a premier offensive player.  Just because I speak negatively about the kid's offensive game doesn't mean I hate him.  He will be alot better once he learns how to hit a layup.  Until then, he is very limited in what he can do.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
Missing open jumpers is one thing... Consistently missing layups or jumping in the air with the ball and coming down with the ball for a travel (on multiple occasions) is another.

I am over this.  Live in LA LA Land and think that he is a premier offensive player.  Just because I speak negatively about the kid's offensive game doesn't mean I hate him.  He will be alot better once he learns how to hit a layup.  Until then, he is very limited in what he can do.

I kind of agree with you.  Blue has trouble controlling his speed during game situations.  He gets to the hoop moving faster than he expected and the ball goes banging off of something or other.

Let's not talk about his inability to finish with his left hand, though :)

LON

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »

I am over this. Live in LA LA Land and think that he is a premier offensive player.  Just because I speak negatively about the kid's offensive game doesn't mean I hate him.  He will be alot better once he learns how to hit a layup.  Until then, he is very limited in what he can do.

Where did I say this?  In fact, I can't recall anyone saying this?

Stop being butt-hurt since you're rightfully getting called out for hating on the kid.

There are ways to critique without resorting to, "He sucks on offense."

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »

I am over this.  Live in LA LA Land and think that he is a premier offensive player.  Just because I speak negatively about the kid's offensive game doesn't mean I hate him.  He will be alot better once he learns how to hit a layup.  Until then, he is very limited in what he can do.

Any chance there's some sort of middle ground between "he sucks on offense" and "premier offensive player"?  No one calling you out has said he was premier, only that he didn't suck which is what you said.