[Today at 10:48:22 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Expectations for this season  (Read 10644 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Expectations for this season
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
I feel like there is a subtle buzz about the team that is building.  We're going to start the season ranked.  DJO has been making some waves this summer, and may be the preseason POY, and most recently there was the Vitale mention about us having a big, big year.

Based on zero analysis, my personal opinion is that this is the year MU makes the leap.  My definition of "the leap" is:
  • ranked almost all season
  • contention for top four spots in the league
  • relatively high NCAA seed (4-5 or better)

I can see DJO tearing it up and the Predator being better and more consistent.  Jamil Wilson being a great third player, plus a much more experienced Otule, Vander, Junior.  Gardner (TFON) being in better shape so that he plays long stretches, and Jamil Jones making modest contributions.

However, since I can be a big ol' Eeyore when it comes to MU, I can't help but think that something is off.  Jamil Wilson is a giant question mark.  Otule, Vander, and Junior may continue to be terrible offensively.  I'll believe a freshman contributes when a freshman contributes.  And then there's the defense, where I will continue to believe Buzz's defensive scheme is crap until the data improves.

And yet, there's still this belief MU makes the leap.  So my question is for others... what are the expectations for this season?  Half-full?  Half-empty?  Somewhere in the middle?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

DCWarriors04

• All American
Re: Expectations for this season
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
While I can understand questions still lingering about Vander and what he can bring to the court on the offensive end, how can you say Junior and Otule could continue to be terrible offensively? I'll agree that for the first half of the year neither of them was great from the offensive end, but as the season went on one could argue that they found their offensive roles, especially Junior.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
I have a gut feeling that DJO isn't going to take over this year like people expect him to.  He's been so good as the 2nd option, but I think if we make the jump it'll be because someone else takes over and DJO can continue to play as a 2nd option.

I thought the same thing about JFB and I was wrong.  I hope that I'm wrong again this year :)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
12-6 or better in conference, with a top 6 or better finish, improving as the season wears on
Win 2 games in the Big East Tournament
Sweet 16 return with an outside chance at an Elite 8 birth

2012/2013 is when I feel we finally make the DEEP run, challenging for the conference title all season, getting a top 3 seed in the tournament, and making the Elite 8 with relative ease with a toss-up game for the Final 4.

If Buzz stays after a run like this, he'll start pulling in recruiting classes loaded with 5 and 4 stars on a consistent basis.  If DJO or Crowder can make the NBA, we'll have our pick of the JUCO litter as well (not that we pretty much don't already, it will just become even easier).  I really feel like the next two years could launch this program into the stratosphere.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
I see us being much more portent offensively this year and playing very similar defensively - if not a little better with Otule being able to play more, crowder learning the system better and junior continuing to get his quickness back.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Beat Wisconsin!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
MU will win some games and it will also lose some games, but it will win more than it loses.  It will also win some games it should not have won and lose some that it should have won.  Some guys will score lots of points in some games, less in others with certain guys consistently scoring more than others.  Some players will overachieve, others will disappoint, while the majority will play within their expectations.  Fans won't show up for most early season games, but will sell the place out for the really big games.  Buzz will yell himself hoarse at most games and sweat profusely while wearing gaudy suits.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
Last night I watched the NCAA MU/Xavier game. First time I rewatched it and I particularly played attention to individual players.

Comments on returning players:

Crowder made some very good defensive plays.
Cadougan played a lot and also did a very good job. He is a better defensive player than he looks like he should be. Hustles hard on defense and uses good positioning to offset opposing players quickness.
DJO stunk and then exploded. We need DJO to be consistantly good.
Vander played very little.
Otule/Gardner combination was respectable.

Based on watching that game. How good we are we depends mostly on how consistant Crowder and DJO are. We will not win, if they are both having down games. While I expect Otule/Gardner combination to be improved, I think we are over estimating their overall effectiveness. I think Cadougan easily replaces Buyckes at point, but I do not see where we will have someone as good as Cadougan to come off the bench to replace starter Cadougan. We need Blue to play hard and not do things that hurt the team. Jones did not play in game, unless he got in in last minute.

Players no longer on team:

Butler as expected played very well in game.
Fulce barely played
Buyckes was respectable.
Williams played and was effective.

Newcomers:

We know Wilson will replace Butler, but it will be hard to equal Butler's expereince, ability to draw fouls, play defense and hit key shots.
Derrick Wilson presumably is the replacement for Cadougan at back up point. I do not expect him to be as good as Cadougan was, but who knows.
Anderson needs to replace Fulce/Williams. He has the talent, but needs strength and experience.
We need another outside shooter and hopefully either Mayo or Jones can supply this.

I think the team had a lot of distractions last year that effected play. Hopefully, that is all behind us.

My prediction would be a 6th place finish in Big East.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:22:46 PM by bilsu »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Last night I watched the NCAA MU/Xavier game. First time I rewatched it and I particularly played attention to individual players.

Comments on returning players:

Crowder made some very good defensive plays.
Cadougan played a lot and also did a very good job. He is a better defensive player than he looks like he should be. Hustles hard on defense and uses good positioning to offset opposing players quickness.
DJO stunk and then exploded. We need DJO to be consistantly good.
Vander played very little.
Otule/Gardner combination was respectable.

Based on watching that game. How good we are we depends mostly on how consistant Crowder and DJO are. We will not win, if they are both having down games. While I expect Otule/Gardner combination to be improved, I think we are over estimating their overall effectiveness. I think Cadougan easily replaces Buyckes at point, but I do not see where we will have someone as good as Cadougan to come off the bench to replace starter Cadougan. We need Blue to play hard and not do things that hurt the team. Jones did not play in game, unless he got in in last minute.

Players no longer on team:

Butler as expected played very well in game.
Fulce barely played
Buyckes was respectable.
Williams played and was effective.

Newcomers:

We know Wilson will replace Butler, but it will be hard to equal Butler's expereince, ability to draw fouls, play defense and hit key shots.
Derrick Wilson presumably is the replacement for Cadougan at back up point. I do not expect him to be as good as Cadougan was, but who knows.
Anderson needs to replace Fulce/Williams. He has the talent, but needs strength and experience.
We need another outside shooter and hopefully either Mayo or Jones can supply this.

I think the team had a lot of distractions last year that effected play. Hopefully, that is all behind us.

My prediction would be a 6th place finish in Big East.
Dwight Buycks.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »
I am expecting a middle of the road year myself.  Hope I'm wrong.  I know nothing about Jamil so I expect little, and that has a lot to do with my expectations - if he comes in great that'll be a big boost. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
I thought the same thing about JFB and I was wrong.  I hope that I'm wrong again this year :)

And Lazar.  (at least for me)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Cadougan to emerge as a leader, solving the PG problem that plagued us last year.  
DJO to average around 18 a game.
Crowder around 14.
JWilson around 14.
Gardner to play more minutes but probably won't average more than 17 mpg.
Otule to emerge as a defensive force.
Blue to be better but still not good enough to stop the kvetching here.  
Jones to not make the leap we are hoping for.
Mayo or Anderson gets double digit minutes.  

For this board to implode and ooze gloom and apocalyptic rhetoric after every loss and less than blowout win.  
Complaints about Buzz's ......rotations/defensive philosophy/free throw coaching/haircut.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
Since there is no NBA, I expect MU to take the sportsworld by storm. Win our preseason tourney, ranked in the top 25 all year, make it to the BE Championship, another sweet 16 bid, and show China how its done and whoop up on G Town in an all out brawl.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
Here is what I expect will occur:

...as mentioned by others, Junior will really take hold of the point guard position
...Crowder really steps up and becomes an all around beast
...DJO will also improve, but to the extent that many would expect
...Jamil will have us worried early in the season, but will figure out his role and be just fine.
...Otule will be what Otule has been
...Gardner will be markedly improved
...One of the freshmen will nail down a spot in the rotation and will make a significant impact.
...Blue will still drive the board as whole crazy.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »
I will be disappointed if we lose more then 2 games out of Conf, I don't have a feel for the Big East yet. So I will make my prediction for that on Jan 1.  Beat LSU, Win the Paradise Jam and beat all the other people we should beat, Then get at least 1 of WISC, VANDY, WASH.  If we lose to all 3 I would be disappointed.  If we beat 2-3 and get tripped up by one of the 7 or so quality 100-150 RPI guys I would still be OK with that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
I expect DJO to be just as good as expected. I think he will have a season similar to Wade's junior year. I think Crowder will be a solid second option. I also think we have enough depth to be a top-10 type team and Big East challenger.

That said, injuries could kill us. And it wouldn't have to be a star. Cadougan or Otule missing time could be very damaging, and with only 11 scholarship guys, it wouldn't take many injuries before we needed meaningful minutes from freshmen.

If we're healthy, a top-3 seed and challenging for the Big East is possible. If not, we could struggle to make the tourney.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
My expectation is no transfers. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
It seems like Henry Sugar is very negative about Marquette's season.  I believe Marquette will be a tough competitor throughout the year and will compete into the NCAA tournament.  I expect Marquette to play every game to win.  No, we won't win every game, but, we have the talent and the coaching to compete in every game.  In Buzz I trust

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
As always, I am excited about the season.  I think this MU team may be the most balanced team MU has had in some time.  By balance, I mean playing with a true 1-5 and not having to play undersized most of the game.

I also believe that we will see a Frosh make the BE rotation and be a key contributer.  Maybe two Frosh will be ready by BE play.

I expect Crowder will have some awesome plays and some fouls that drive Buzz crazy.  He will get into foul trouble when he shouldn't.  I am hopeful, though, that Buzz get's to him like he did to Zar.

I have not studied the other BE schools enough to throw a realistic number as to where MU will finish.  I do believe, though, we have the potential to be there at the end and be ranked fairly high at points during the season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »
I am a big believer in experience in BE play, especially with such tough road games. Seven of the teams that finished above MU put more experience on the floor, with Seton Hall being the only more experienced team than MU who were lower in the standings (but a victor over us). Of course, UCONN was the exception, but they were very experienced with the ball in Walker (star power). Six of those teams got a lot younger.  While MU was middle of the pack on experience, eight players had played little in the BE or not at all.  All of our projected starters next year will have started games in major conferences.  That is a big difference.

Another big difference is point guard, where we have one. Junior came on strong at the end of last year, and finished with 4 of the top 11 individually offensively efficient games for the season. If he improves his shot, look out as he will earn his #47 RSCI rating.  His distributor skills made the catch and shoot archers better: DJO and Jae. Wilson and JJ will also hang on the perimeter, unlike Jimmy, which will help Junior be more effective.  Otule and DG provide a varied post-presence. Blue, Mayo and Anderson can bust the seams.  Jae and JW are excellent passers, and JW can play Point Forward to provide a tough match-up on offense (and is athletic enough to guard a 1-2 like Jimmy). As is Buzz’s M-O, MU will be very good offensively.

Athletically, MU can be a great defensive team, but is the scheme there? I think for the first time, Buzz has the players to fit his philosophy.  D Wilson will be a tough addition at point, and Junior’s quickness is way improved. Can Vander dominate this season?  We know Otule is a space eater in the post, and is a great shot blocker. Will DJO and Jae improve on rotations? Can this team play together to win the close ones with defense? IF they do, they can be Top 10.

I have MU in the mix for Top 5 in the BE.  I see Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt and UCONN ahead of the Warriors as they are experienced, and have match-up depth.  The Warriors have a star in DJO to take over games.  Keys for MU are defense, bench play (who is the bench scorer), and depth (injuries, experience).  This team needed adversity to come together last year, but will continuity be the glue this season?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:14:44 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
Elite 8 is my prediction. Ton of talent and some great NCAA experience last year. Might be a special season.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »
I expect DJO to be just as good as expected. I think he will have a season similar to Wade's junior year.

You just made me ROFL!  I love DJO, but there's no chance he'll be a top 5 draft pick in the NBA.  Get real!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
You just made me ROFL!  I love DJO, but there's no chance he'll be a top 5 draft pick in the NBA.  Get real!

I never said he'd be a top 5 pick in the NBA. I don't think he will be. But I do think he can averaged 20+ ppg, 3+ apg, and 4+ rpg. I don't know that he'll match Wade's numbers, but I think he can be a second-team All-American and would have a shot at first team if not for so many lottery-type players returning.

And there's no connection between draft pick level and NCAA success. Jerel was a second-team AA and didn't get drafted. Some other guys do virtually nothing in college and are lottery picks. Don't confuse DJO's draft position with his potential for Marquette as a senior. The two are only vaguely related. I could see DJO making second-team AA, even first-team, and still being a second-round draft pick. I don't think he has the same NBA potential, but he has immense NCAA potential as a senior.

EDIT: I also think based on reports, he could be a dominant, game-changing type of player that takes over in the clutch for us. I've loved DJO's potential since he arrived and really think he could be the guy that lifts us back to the Elite 8, possibly even the Final Four. That won't make him a top-5 pick, but he could possibly finish as Marquette's #2 all-time scorer in just 3 years. I think that would be pretty Wade-like.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:32:55 PM by brewcity77 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »
brew I just don't think DJO has the overall athleticism to take a game over like Wade did.  Even now, Wade looks so smooth but still looks like he is moving 100 times faster than his opponent.  DJO takes awhile to get going sometimes.  Good shooter...explosive at the rim...but not the type of guy you can give the ball to regularly and say "OK...we need a basket."

This is why I think we may not see more than marginal improvement from DJO this year.  I think players make great strides when they go from an "experienced role player" to an "experienced core player" - that is why I am expecting big strides from the likes of Junior and Davante.  I think what you saw of DJO last year is basically what he is.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
I think we could see a very good improvement from DJO. Each year a player should get more consistant. His sophomore year he avarged 13 points and I think if you actually did the calculation he probably averaged 10 points in one half and 3 points in the other. Last year he was a little bit more consistant in his game, but also had times when he did not score alot for periods of time. I think he will average between 18 and 23 points a game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
Consistency (mostly in shooting a defense) will tell the tale.

Last year, when MU was hot, they were probably a top 12-15 team (before the Louisville loss, and when they picked up steam in the tournament.)

When they were bad however, they were probably about the 50th best team (probably worse).

They have to eliminate/limit those "off nights" and figure out a way to win those games (cliche). Hopefully experience helps with that. Losing Jimmy hurts, but with all of the other guys getting better, it could be a net gain in overall talent.

DJO needs to start the season hot. He was very good the second 1/2 of last year after a slow start. I think a hot start will help his (and the team's) confidence a ton. If DJO can be a big time scorer, it should allow the other guys to find their roles without pressing to score themselves.

I haven't gone through the schedule yet, but I think the over/under might be 11.5-12 conference wins. I'm taking the over.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:30:47 AM by 2002MUalum »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »
It seems like Henry Sugar is very negative about Marquette's season. 

you mean, except for the part where I expect MU to make the leap this year, be ranked all season, contend for the BE, and get a high NCAA seed?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
you mean, except for the part where I expect MU to make the leap this year, be ranked all season, contend for the BE, and get a high NCAA seed?

Stuff it, Sug.

You're the new Chico's with your "faint praise".

Know your role.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
With what returns, and all the hype of what is to come, this team has no reason finishing lower than 5th in conference (unless simultaneous leg breaks occur).

They also shouldn't come out of non-conference with more than two losses. If you're big time and legitimate, you win the games we have scheduled.

They must contend until mid-February for title. I don't think they have what it takes to last until the final week but we should be dreaming of the possibility with five or six games left.

NCAA-wise, the bar is set at Sweet Sixteen. That is a must. I understand the BS about match-ups but a team with the hype like ours overcomes bad match-ups to win the first weekend.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
brew I just don't think DJO has the overall athleticism to take a game over like Wade did.  Even now, Wade looks so smooth but still looks like he is moving 100 times faster than his opponent.  DJO takes awhile to get going sometimes.  Good shooter...explosive at the rim...but not the type of guy you can give the ball to regularly and say "OK...we need a basket."

This is why I think we may not see more than marginal improvement from DJO this year.  I think players make great strides when they go from an "experienced role player" to an "experienced core player" - that is why I am expecting big strides from the likes of Junior and Davante.  I think what you saw of DJO last year is basically what he is.

I'm hoping DJO is this year's Kemba Walker.  Looking at OT of the UConn game last year shows me that DJO definitely has the ability to completely take a game over a chunk at a time.  It's just a matter of him having that edge from day 1.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
I'm hoping DJO is this year's Kemba Walker.  Looking at OT of the UConn game last year shows me that DJO definitely has the ability to completely take a game over a chunk at a time.  It's just a matter of him having that edge from day 1.

NOT SAYING DJO WILL BE AS GOOD AS KEMBA WALKER

Kemba Walker
2009 (Ortg 107, usage 20%)
2010 (Ortg 105, usage 24%)
2011 (Ortg 118, usage 31%)

DJO
2010 (Ortg 107, usage 23%)
2011 (Ortg 107, usage 26%)

I found it interesting how similar the first two years of production were between the two players, with DJO being a slightly better player than Kemba through the first two years.  Again, not saying that DJO will bust out like Kemba did... just that there's a comparison.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
DJO struggled through the non-conference part of the season.  Couldn't find his shot at all.
If he gets his season off on the right foot, he'll be All BE First Team. 
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/darius-johnson-odom

As I have been for the last 2 seasons, I'm kind of down on the team.  Expect the worst and watch your expectations be blown out of the water.

Reasons why I'm optimistic (most of this has been said before):
1. DJO
2. I think Jamil Wilson will be a very solid contributor. 
3. The 3-eyed monster down low (sorry, I know it's not PC).  Chris gained a lot of confidence in his abilities.  A leaner stronger Garnder, who also gained a boat load of confidence in the UNC game, won't have a breakout season but will be better than I expect.
4. Cadougan.  I still think he has a Levance Fields season in him either this year or next.  He's a bulldog and pretty solid at the point.  If his shot comes around, it will be a lot harder to shade DJO on defense.
5. The youngsters.  Vander needed to learn to use his body as a shield when driving - it looked like he was learning that toward the end.  His shot will come around.  Juan/Mayo/D.Wilson all lumped in here - excited to see what they can do.
6. The fact that I haven't even mentioned Jae yet!

Why pessimistic:
1. Floor leadership.  It seems like the juco guys have trouble taking the reins over on the court and being a leader out there.  JFB was OK at it, but nothing compared to Lazar.  I want to see someone screaming out there and pumping their chests and that sort of crap. 
2. It's the Big East, it's a grind. 
3. One of our tougher non-conference schedules in a long time. 
4. What if no one steps up?  Who's going to be the Fulce?  Who's going to be the Cubillan/Acker? 
33-0.  Pittino has a mental breakdown after our destruction of their team - shaves head, wears baby blue blazers, sweats a lot.  Huggins gets mauled by a bear in the WV woods.  DePaul sucks, but manages to beat ND.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
Why pessimistic:
1. Floor leadership.  It seems like the juco guys have trouble taking the reins over on the court and being a leader out there.  JFB was OK at it, but nothing compared to Lazar.  I want to see someone screaming out there and pumping their chests and that sort of crap. 
2. It's the Big East, it's a grind. 
3. One of our tougher non-conference schedules in a long time
4. What if no one steps up?  Who's going to be the Fulce?  Who's going to be the Cubillan/Acker?

To address some of those points...

1. Did no one watch Jae at all last year? He's the definition of the screaming chest-pumper. It's hard to come in, especially when you arrive on campus late, and take the leadership reins. But I think Crowder has it in him. Around the middle of last season, he seemed to be taking that role of team leader, but then his play faltered and it's tough to lead on the court when your play isn't the example. I'm not sure where the loner talk comes from, because he went to Florida to work out this summer? He led Howard to a JUCO national title, I think with a year under his belt he will be the emotional leader of this team, and be more vocal than JFB was.

3. Hugely important factor. And not just the Vandy's, the Wisky's, and the LSU's of the world. If we aren't careful, a team like Northern Colorado or Jacksonville could sneak an upset. This is a great non-con schedule, but also a very dangerous one.

4. Thankfully, we have a lot of guys to step up: DJO, Crowder, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Cadougan, Gardner, and Blue. Plenty of guys to share the scoring load. Who'll be the glue guy, you mean? I have no idea. As far as Cooby/Acker, do you mean running the point, or providing the unexpected veteran leadership? I think Cadougan gives us a steady hand, but if he goes down, we're in trouble.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
I expect DJO to have a solid, not breakout season. Jae will be the key. Cadougan will be the surprise.

RE: DJO, he is not like Wade. Wade was pretty much a lockdown defender. That's going to be DJO's knock: his inability to lock down his man.
SS Marquette

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
To address some of those points...

1. Did no one watch Jae at all last year? He's the definition of the screaming chest-pumper. It's hard to come in, especially when you arrive on campus late, and take the leadership reins. But I think Crowder has it in him. Around the middle of last season, he seemed to be taking that role of team leader, but then his play faltered and it's tough to lead on the court when your play isn't the example. I'm not sure where the loner talk comes from, because he went to Florida to work out this summer? He led Howard to a JUCO national title, I think with a year under his belt he will be the emotional leader of this team, and be more vocal than JFB was.

3. Hugely important factor. And not just the Vandy's, the Wisky's, and the LSU's of the world. If we aren't careful, a team like Northern Colorado or Jacksonville could sneak an upset. This is a great non-con schedule, but also a very dangerous one.

4. Thankfully, we have a lot of guys to step up: DJO, Crowder, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Cadougan, Gardner, and Blue. Plenty of guys to share the scoring load. Who'll be the glue guy, you mean? I have no idea. As far as Cooby/Acker, do you mean running the point, or providing the unexpected veteran leadership? I think Cadougan gives us a steady hand, but if he goes down, we're in trouble.

1. Yeah.  I thought about that.  I can't remember who it was (Vander?) that Jae nearly knocked over destroyed with a chest bump - which was hilarious.  I think I kind of disregarded that as he didn't see the floor as much later in the season when he was having foul problems.  If he's on the floor, see point #6 in the optimistic category.  
I definitely agree with your points.  He has it in him, without a doubt. 

4. I'm actually addressing a bunch of roles in that statement.  The energy/glue guy - Fulce.  Kill a rally or break a game open 3 - Cooby and Acker (to a lesser extent).  Leadership I was working that out in point 1.  

To be clear, I think/hope all my reasons to be pessimistic are unfounded.  Guys always seem to fill in and take on these challenges year in, year out.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:11:41 PM by T-Bone »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
Season expectations?  Simple.

-Sweet Sixteen - if this team stays healthy, anything less would be a miserable disappointment.  However, as soon as I see DG and COT in a game setting, I may ratchet the expectation up a notch or two depending on how much they've improved over the summer.

Individual expectations:

-DJO 1st team all-conference.  Jae, 2nd team.
-Cadougan to average 30min & 8apg.
-DG and COT to average a double-double between them.
-Blue to develop confidence in his jumper.
-Limited, but solid minutes from at least two of Todd, Juan and Derrick.
-Phil Knight to be hospitalized sometime in mid-March from "self-inflicted blunt force trauma to the groin area."

Team expectation:

-This may seem like a cop-out response, but basically, I want this team to stop being the team that "no one wants to face in March" and start being the team that "no one wants to face during the regular season."

Coaching expectation:

-Buzz to be rumored to at least five major school openings before April 1.
-Buzz to still be coach on May 1.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
I also have both some optimistic and pessimistic thoughts on the team:

Optimistic - same as many people are saying on here:
DJO breakout, Crowder is a stud, Vander takes a jump, Jamil is the real deal, Cadougan continues on his path of improvement, our post play is average to above average compared to other Big East teams (O'tOx), we finally have a 7 man rotation with 1-7 have meaningful Big East/Pac-10 experience.

I am worried about a few things though:
DJO has always disappeared for long stretches...if he does that now, does our offense falter?
Basketball IQ - our team made some pretty dumb mistakes last year, how will we be this year (Crowder's foul trouble, Louisville fiasco, Vander's shot selection)
Vander's shot - please come back
We have no back up point guard - if Cadougon goes down or has foul trouble, we will have problems
The freshmen will not contribute meaningfully - so who is that 8th guy in the rotation?  We need someone to step up in the 2/3 role - hopefully Jamail or Mayo are up to the challenge.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
Season expectations?  Simple.

-Sweet Sixteen - if this team stays healthy, anything less would be a miserable disappointment.  However, as soon as I see DG and COT in a game setting, I may ratchet the expectation up a notch or two depending on how much they've improved over the summer.

Individual expectations:

-DJO 1st team all-conference.  Jae, 2nd team.
-Cadougan to average 30min & 8apg.
-DG and COT to average a double-double between them.
-Blue to develop confidence in his jumper.
-Limited, but solid minutes from at least two of Todd, Juan and Derrick.
-Phil Knight to be hospitalized sometime in mid-March from "self-inflicted blunt force trauma to the groin area."

Team expectation:

-This may seem like a cop-out response, but basically, I want this team to stop being the team that "no one wants to face in March" and start being the team that "no one wants to face during the regular season."

Coaching expectation:

-Buzz to be rumored to at least five major school openings before April 1.
-Buzz to still be coach on May 1.

Cadougan's hypothetical 8apg would have been good enough to lead the nation this past year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
I've felt this upcoming season is MU's best chance for a breakthrough to the Elite 8, possible Final Four - moreso than next season.  DJO and Jae are HUGE pieces on this year's team that next year's team won't have. 

I expect a breakthrough type of season from Gardner - to me he has the greatest potential of any player on the roster to make a major impact - with Cadougan a close 2nd.  Think J Wilson is a wildcard - but not certain that he can be Jimmy B, and think he will have a season similar to DJO last year - good at times, but frustrating and somewhat inconsistent.

I'm very bullish on Todd Mayo - and think he could pose a serious challenge to Vander for back up minutes at the guard position.  Also feel Juan Anderson could fill the role of what Fulce was last year - provide some high energy minutes, though in a limited number.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
I've felt this upcoming season is MU's best chance for a breakthrough to the Elite 8, possible Final Four - moreso than next season.  DJO and Jae are HUGE pieces on this year's team that next year's team won't have. 

I expect a breakthrough type of season from Gardner - to me he has the greatest potential of any player on the roster to make a major impact - with Cadougan a close 2nd.  Think J Wilson is a wildcard - but not certain that he can be Jimmy B, and think he will have a season similar to DJO last year - good at times, but frustrating and somewhat inconsistent.

I'm very bullish on Todd Mayo - and think he could pose a serious challenge to Vander for back up minutes at the guard position.  Also feel Juan Anderson could fill the role of what Fulce was last year - provide some high energy minutes, though in a limited number.
It is hard to predict the NCAA's, because so much depends on matchups.
As far as the year after we lose arguably our two best players in DJO and Crowder. That team will have a lot of good players, but no stud unless one develops.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »
Is this not the year everyone has been anticipating since Buzz's arrival at MU with the players he has brought in....  I would hope this team does no worse than the sweet sixteen and a top 3 BE finish... If the 2012 recruiting class ends up a monster class, this season could be the spring board for the type of program many here have always thought the program to be... (ie top 10)...

I love the excitement.. or drama MU BBall brings (for better or worse) and do not expect anything different this year and as long as MU is in the BE this same drama will exist... it's not like the Big 12(10) were one storied program can dominate.

I can't wait for this season... we will be good, likely the best team MU has seen since the Wade final 4 run... of course I am not saying MU will be in the Final 4 but it is not out of the question with the make up of this years team...

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament.  To get to the Sweet 16 again would be wonderful, but even the "best" teams can go out early.  My expectation is that we at least end the regular season at the same level or a bit better than we did this past year.  I also expect one player to step up and be a leader, because Jimmy became the man when I thought no one could fill Lazar's shoes.  Could be a number of guys, but most likely DJO or Crowder. I could see Junior, Jamil or Blue as long shots.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
This is the first time in a number of seasons where the high expectations (from others) have really surprised me.  

Certainly, we had a great weekend in the NCAAs, and it seems to have made a lot of people forget the hot and cold season we'd had ..  that at one point seemed likely to end with an NIT bid.   The only thing consistent about our game last year is that we could easily lose 3 in a row or win the same 3.

We lost an NBA first rounder, plus another starter .. last years' guys will be a bit better .. freshmen will be freshmen.  I think we'll be a game or two better than last year, win 10 or 11.    

The post-season will remain the constant crap-shoot MU knows too well, with the time-tested slogan: It All Depends On Matchups.  Could go one and out, could win 2-3.

Really surprises me that others think it that next year will be much better than that .. just do not see it.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
I will say 11-7 in the Big East with a sixth place finish.  The Big East schedule doesn't do us any favors.  DePaul and Providence, are the only "gimme" road games.  So that's two wins and I say we win one more on the road and go 8-1 at home. 

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
This is the first time in a number of seasons where the high expectations (from others) have really surprised me.  

Expectations are also high because of Jamil Wilson. Many believe that he will be able to fill in seamlessly for Jimmy Butler, and if he is, I agree that this team is the best we've had in a while. A finish below 6th in the Big East would be very disappointing if Wilson plays well and we don't suffer any major injuries.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »

Intereting observation from IWB over on Scout.   Paraphrasing, Gardner needs to learn what he can and can't do and play accordingly.    I take that to mean that he needs to stay down on the blocks, not try to lead the fast break and not chase guards around   the perimeter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »
Intereting observation from IWB over on Scout.   Paraphrasing, Gardner needs to learn what he can and can't do and play accordingly.    I take that to mean that he needs to stay down on the blocks, not try to lead the fast break and not chase guards around   the perimeter.

Watching the Pro-Am, that's definitely true. He won't be able to do that coast-to-coast stuff even against Norfolk State. If he can figure out what his slimmer body can do, he could be great, but if he overestimates his own abilities, he could be his own worst enemy.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
Expectations are also high because of Jamil Wilson. Many believe that he will be able to fill in seamlessly for Jimmy Butler, and if he is, I agree that this team is the best we've had in a while. A finish below 6th in the Big East would be very disappointing if Wilson plays well and we don't suffer any major injuries.

The problem is .. Jamil was less than stellar in his one actual season of play at Oregon.  To think he can fill in "seamlessly" for 1st round draft pick Jimmy Butler would be quite a surprise indeed.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
The problem is .. Jamil was less than stellar in his one actual season of play at Oregon.  To think he can fill in "seamlessly" for 1st round draft pick Jimmy Butler would be quite a surprise indeed.

Haven't done the research, but I believe Jamil's numbers as a Freshman at Oregon were very similar to Jimmy's as a sophomore at MU.  Perhaps expecting a performance similar to Jimmy's Junior year might be a reasonable expectation for Jamil - but as everyone has said - Jamil has all the tools you could want in a basketball player, just a matter if he can have the tenacity for 40 minutes...if so, it seems plausible that he could be Jimmy-good...though doubt he'll be as efficient as Jimmy B (one of the best at MU in a long time)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »

If his year at Oregon was last year, I would agree.  A year in the program, though, makes a huge difference.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
If his year at Oregon was last year, I would agree.  A year in the program, though, makes a huge difference.

Not only that, but his less than stellar season came as a freshman. As was said previously, "Freshman will be freshman."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Haven't done the research, but I believe Jamil's numbers as a Freshman at Oregon were very similar to Jimmy's as a sophomore at MU.

Easy enough to compare..

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jamil-wilson&jimmy-butler=2008-2009&p1=jimmy-butler

Jimmy's offense was significantly better than Jamil's in every category, points, FG%, Mins, eFG, FTR, Steals .. Jamil turned it over 2x Jimmy's rate.

JFB only slightly better on .. ORebs and  Jamil wins DRebs.

Jamil ended up mostly riding the pine the last 10-12 games of the year on his team.  Jimmy's sophomore year, he was increasing his minutes .. 26 .. 38 .. 30 .. 25 .. 30.

In conclusion .. I would LOVE for Jamil to be as great as JFB.    What's in the books does not indicate that future, but hey, hope springs eternal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:09:55 PM by mu_hilltopper »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
I expect Wilson to have a better year than Butler did as a sophomore. I do not expect him as a sophomore to be as good as Jimmy was as a senior. Assuming nothing goes wrong this will be a very good team. However, at this time of summer this team is not as good as Buzz's first team was at the same time. While that team finished 25-10 it took several hits. Mbakwe jumped ship just before season stated. Otule broke his foot. Fulce split his knee. Hazel got benched. James broke his foot. Even McMorrow our red shirt player broke his foot. Also, Cullibian could not shoot as he still was recovering from double shoulder surgery.

Ignoring multiple positions-preseason comparison would be

C Otule, Gardner vs Burke, Otule
PF Crowder, Anderson vs Hayward, Mbakwee, Hazel
SF Wilson, Jones vs Matthews, Fulce, Butler
2G DJO, Mayo vs McNeal, Culliban
PG Cadougan, Blue, Wilson vs James, Acker

Eligible walk-on ? vs Frosena
ineligible transfers Thomas vs McMorrow

Buzz's first team had more talent and more experience.
Buzz's first team stronger at PF, SF PG
Current team stronger at center
I will argue current team stronger at 2g as I saw McNeal as a me type player. However, he ended up having a great senior season. Remember this comparison is based on preseason expectations and not actual results.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:02:03 AM by bilsu »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

Certainly, we had a great weekend in the NCAAs, and it seems to have made a lot of people forget the hot and cold season we'd had ..  that at one point seemed likely to end with an NIT bid.   The only thing consistent about our game last year is that we could easily lose 3 in a row or win the same 3.

We lost an NBA first rounder, plus another starter .. last years' guys will be a bit better .. freshmen will be freshmen.  I think we'll be a game or two better than last year, win 10 or 11.    

The post-season will remain the constant crap-shoot MU knows too well, with the time-tested slogan: It All Depends On Matchups.  Could go one and out, could win 2-3.

Really surprises me that others think it that next year will be much better than that .. just do not see it.

This.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
I am excited about Marquette's athleticism and verstality combined with Buzz's philosophy.  I guess my question at this point is how Buzz manages and how the players perform.

Right now defensively I would be most excited to see a defensive team with the core defensive players being Blue, Wilson and Anderson.  I would want that length and speed to attack teams defensively.  Then you put a center like Otule blocking shots  or even Crowder and ideally DJO at point, defensively.  You could have a defense that extends far on the court is athletic and can help and recover.  Use the defense as a weapon.  You have the athleticism with that team to really pressure a team and score points off defense.

If a team like that is put in a half-court offensive situation, who can score?  DJO.  Maybe Wilson.

Then offensively you need either Cadougan or Wilson on the floor to run it.  You would rather have Gardner than Otule, probably.  You still have questions with who can shoot the three point shot and who can create their own shot.  Teams just stuffing the lane.  Buzz is not the guy just to keep Jones or Mayo out there just to shoot threes because they can.  This team will not have a David Diggs.

I think it comes down to who works hardest to become good at what they are not good at.  Who improves to become a two way player.  I am optimistic because I believe your ceiling depends upon your athleticism and MU should have that.  Floor depends on intelligence and guts and, based on BUzz's previous teams, MU should have those.  Chemistry.  Defensive cohesiveness.  3-point shooting.  Those seem harder to control.

But just think about the Wisconsin game.  Think about how many guys and looks we could throw at Taylor.  Its early in the year, so MU won't play its best game.  But think about how many ways MU could play it.  How many guys and how many styles of play can you throw at one guy and one style of play.  I don't know how good MU will be, but I am excited to watch how good they become.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »
Cadougan's hypothetical 8apg would have been good enough to lead the nation this past year.

Exactly.

Frankly, when did JFB become a "first rounder?"  (Yes, I know... on draft night.)  In other words, at what point did JFB finally elevate his game play to first-round status?  Would he have been drafted in the first-round after the Duke game?  How about after Wisconsin or Vandy?

I would say - at best - JFB's game would have garnered a low second-round pick at season's start, but he improved steadily throughout the season and became a low-1st, high-2nd player in late February.  So maybe it's semantics, but from that perspective you could argue that MU didn't have a "first-rounder" - perhaps even a second-rounder - nearly the entire year, because JFB was still getting better.

As for this year.... if the 2012 draft were held right now, I think we have a low-1st, high 2nd round pick in DJO and a low-2nd round pick in Jae.  The surrounding cast is - at the very least - comparable to what we had last year at the start of the season.

[Note: The above ignores the non-basketball intangibles of the draft process - exposure, background stories, character issues, etc. - that affect where you're picked.]

So I'll go out on a limb here and say that this year's team, right now, is better than the team MU had 365 days ago although not (yet) as good as the team MU had 151 days ago (3/24)... a team that squeeked into the dance & went to the Sweet 16 on the backs of a conference foe.  With that in mind and assuming similar levels of improvement and maturation, I don't think that setting an expectation higher than the S16 for this year's team is unreasonable unless you think the competition has improved disproportionately higher.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:21 PM »

+1

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
The  real  answer is that Jimmy became a first rounder when several high draft picks opted to return, because of NBA lockout.

feedback