'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A GREAT team win...  (Read 1362 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
A GREAT team win...
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
This game was just what the doctor ordered for this team - could be a real springboard for the team, with some new roles being defined.  MU faced a lot of adversity in this game - Starks and Smith Rivera threw in some absolute circus shots, and NBA 3's, and the ball seemed to be bouncing the other way on loose balls and we persevered. 

Highlights:

Mayo drilling game tying 3 point shot
Jamil going to the basket aggressively and getting fouled with shot clock winding down in regulation (regulation) to get us back to 2 down.
Gardner hitting 16ft jumper to get us down 2 again in regulation
Jake Thomas hitting some absolutely clutch 3's
Steve Taylor emerging from his hibernation
John Dawson showing real well in his first extended run of the season, and hitting some clutch shots in OT.
Derrick Wilson being a good teammate and staying engaged while on bench, and not pouting over being benched.

And of course to Coach Buzz Williams for finally making a big change in his lineup - more Dawson and Steve Taylor.  Would be huge if Steve Taylor is fully healthy and ready to step up.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
Re: A GREAT team win...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Agree with it all.

I wonder if GTown playing zone had anything to do with STJ playing so much tonight? Just a thought seeing as how: Burton hasn't seen much of a zone this season, Juan isn't solid offensively against anything, Otule is best 1on1 down low and not good with quick decisions. STJ may have been the only option who could score and has played against a zone for Buzz significantly before

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
Agree with it all.

I wonder if GTown playing zone had anything to do with STJ playing so much tonight? Just a thought seeing as how: Burton hasn't seen much of a zone this season, Juan isn't solid offensively against anything, Otule is best 1on1 down low and not good with quick decisions. STJ may have been the only option who could score and has played against a zone for Buzz significantly before

Actually Burton has been very good against zones when we saw it this year.  I think STJ got in and extended minutes, because Georgetown has two bigs who are not that mobile allowing STJ to defend even without being fully comfortable on the knee yet. 

He then played very well and the knee loosened up a bit and he was able to poor it on...so you run with the hot hand.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:11 PM »
Agree with it all.

Could be.  We saw last year that STJ could be effective at the high post against zones.  And then we saw it again tonight.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
Could be.  We saw last year that STJ could be effective at the high post against zones.  And then we saw it again tonight.   :)

Davante and Steve are good at interchanging and playing the high/low game against the zone.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:47:59 PM »
Agree with it all.

I wonder if GTown playing zone had anything to do with STJ playing so much tonight?
Buzz mentioned that the zone D was a factor in putting STJ in, and then he got hot and he rode him.