[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Athletes To Be Employees and Unionized?  (Read 2742 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: College Athletes To Be Employees and Unionized?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2023, 02:37:11 PM »
They should pay market rates for their players.
So the swimming teams are going to get an bill in addition to their tuition?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2023, 02:55:36 PM »
So the swimming teams are going to get an bill in addition to their tuition?

I feel like you're being dense on purpose. This isn't that complicated.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2023, 03:02:20 PM »
;D

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »
On a side note, not sure if this was posted here before: basketball revenue

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/schools-that-make-the-most-money-off-college-basketball/

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2023, 03:28:08 PM »

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/schools-that-make-the-most-money-off-college-basketball/
Seems consistent with other reports through the years. MU is a small time program that nobody would want to coach when we got rid of Wojo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »

White Trash wants things back to the way they were.  That ship sailed years ago
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2023, 07:23:52 PM »

While I'm glad to see MU high on the list, a lot of those rankings are really dependent on how the schools do their accounting in terms of revenue. A lot of football schools assign revenue to football at the expense of their other programs in order to make it look like football is less of a money loser.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2023, 10:00:16 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2023, 10:04:19 PM »
NFL to take over NCAA football to clean up the mess?

https://www.outkick.com/new-report-says-ncaa-could-dissolve-top-teams-could-partner-with-nfl/

Not saying that is a bad idea. But if that happened, why are colleges even remotely involved, besides the fact that it is the college's name on the jersey that brings the market value (not the product on the field).

College football needs to drop the college part, and replace it with minor league football.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2023, 10:23:49 PM »
White Trash wants things back to the way they were.  That ship sailed years ago
Sometimes i feel like the only one who truly embraces the new reality. Seems like a lot of people are lying to themselves. Embracing NIL is hardly accepting the future.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2023, 12:24:17 AM »
Not saying that is a bad idea. But if that happened, why are colleges even remotely involved, besides the fact that it is the college's name on the jersey that brings the market value (not the product on the field).

College football needs to drop the college part, and replace it with minor league football.

Your first paragraph explains why the second paragraph will never happen. There would be absolutely zero interest in minor league football...even if it was the same quality and same players as college football. College sports are the only financially successfully semi-pro sports league in the world. No way anyone messes with that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2023, 07:21:23 AM »
Your first paragraph explains why the second paragraph will never happen. There would be absolutely zero interest in minor league football...even if it was the same quality and same players as college football. College sports are the only financially successfully semi-pro sports league in the world. No way anyone messes with that.

I think you under appreciate the stupidity of the leaders of college athletics

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2023, 07:41:23 AM »
The true leaders of college athletics, the conference commissioners of the largest conferences, their college presidents, athletic directors, etc., are hardly stupid. They have established a system that rewards their schools handsomely, neutered the NCAA while still using them as a foil when needed, and the marketplace seemingly loves it.

If there is one thing that has become completely obvious over the last couple of decades is that the "traditions" of college athletics aren't really all that important to people. New traditions evolve. People still watch. The money keeps coming in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2023, 08:09:46 AM »
The true leaders of college athletics, the conference commissioners of the largest conferences, their college presidents, athletic directors, etc., are hardly stupid. They have established a system that rewards their schools handsomely, neutered the NCAA while still using them as a foil when needed, and the marketplace seemingly loves it.

If there is one thing that has become completely obvious over the last couple of decades is that the "traditions" of college athletics aren't really all that important to people. New traditions evolve. People still watch. The money keeps coming in.

Disagree

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2023, 08:17:54 AM »
Disagree

The past thirty years show otherwise. No guaranty that the next thirty will be like the previous thirty, but I have heard about the demise of college athletics for decades now, and its just never come to pass.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2023, 08:21:35 AM »
The past thirty years show otherwise. No guaranty that the next thirty will be like the previous thirty, but I have heard about the demise of college athletics for decades now, and its just never come to pass.

With ESPN, cable TV, savings accounts, cities and the NFL doomed, I’m not sure college sports will survive

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2023, 08:55:12 AM »

Consider the source
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2023, 09:03:21 AM »
Consider the source

No, I’m convinced college athletics are run by idiots.  Anyone going to congress to fix college sports is a group run by idiots

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2023, 10:17:37 AM »

I agree with you. That was more my commentary on my dissatisfaction/disgust for how much a sham the college part of football has become, and that partnering with the NFL would just, in my opinion, be essentially everyone publicly admitting the sham of the college part.

But like you said, it won't go away.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2023, 01:20:40 PM »
Been there, done that. It cannot be done. From the story ...

Northwestern University's football team made a bid to form the first union for college athletes in 2014.

It was a move that was met with almost immediate opposition by college conferences and schools that argued it would fundamentally alter a system in which hundreds of millions of dollars are distributed annually to conferences and schools.

The move ultimately ended in August 2015 with the NLRB board ruling unanimously that creating a new system of union and nonunion college teams would lead to different standards from school to school. It said a system with varied money for players and things like practice time would create competitive imbalance.

2015 is a long time ago. New legal action could bring new remedies ... though I tend to agree with most here that unionization won't happen.

The big-sport, big-program athletes don't need unionization - NIL is gold for them already.

And, as others here have said, it's hard to see what unionization would bring to men's golf and women's lacrosse programs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2023, 10:16:21 AM »
November 7, 2023
Dartmouth starts season while pushing for union
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38841430/dartmouth-starts-season-pushing-union

Nearly two months have passed since the team signed a petition seeking representation by the Service Employees International Union, which already represents some school employees. They're focused on the start of the basketball season, which began with Monday night's loss at No. 2 Duke.

Their unionization effort lingers in the background, another challenge to the norms of college athletics in a time with athletes transferring freely through the portal and making endorsement money through the use of their name, image and likeness (NIL).

"I feel like NIL's been moving on a lot and changing the landscape of college basketball," Myrthil told The Associated Press after the Duke game. "This could be a step that changes it even further, to make the students earn what they're worth."

Myrthil is one of two captains for the Big Green, who haven't spoken publicly about the unionization effort outside of releasing a letter to The Dartmouth student newspaper shortly after filing the petition. The other, Robert McRae III, said the focus is on changing things in the elite Ivy League where Dartmouth is a member.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2023, 10:23:52 AM »

In other words, schools with crappy football teams (or none).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
No, I’m convinced college athletics are run by idiots.  Anyone going to congress to fix college sports is a group run by idiots

‘Idiots’ may be the wrong word, but it’s not to far off.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2023, 12:00:49 PM »
‘Idiots’ may be the wrong word, but it’s not to far off.
I agree. It is a mess, but slightly in the schools' defense legislative involvement is warranted since any and all solutions will make someone upset and drag it into the courts. Legislated rules will make it easier to defend in the court.

From amateurism to full blown pro sports model and everything in between, someone will sue.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2023, 03:33:50 PM »
The highest "paid" college athletes are in the non-revenue sports like women's gymnastics or women's basketball. A pretty face and nice figure pays millions. Who needs to unionize?

I know guys it so unfair.