collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Religion is Doomed  (Read 6682 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Religion is Doomed
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2023, 12:06:52 PM »
Organized religion really only has itself to blame for it becoming a less prominent part of our society. It’s missteps have been many.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2023, 12:56:29 PM »
Actually, he wasn't.  Samuel Langhorne Clemens was real.
Don't get upset. Scoop is welcoming to all forms of hate and bigotry.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2023, 05:40:17 PM »
i feel sorry for those who don't believe in God-they must be some very lonely souls.  without getting personal, way too many "things" have occurred in my life to even think it was just, oh lucky you or chit just happens.  foot prints in the sand.  thoughts and prayers to ya'll
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2023, 06:07:32 PM »
i feel sorry for those who don't believe in God-they must be some very lonely souls.  without getting personal, way too many "things" have occurred in my life to even think it was just, oh lucky you or chit just happens.  foot prints in the sand.  thoughts and prayers to ya'll

Imagine looking down on people that don't share your fantasy.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2023, 06:30:40 PM »
Imagine looking down on people that don't share your fantasy.
imagine thinking you have to try to disprove the existence of God, when that cannot be done.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 06:36:09 PM »
I am a believer.   Huge fan of the gospel Jesus.   Infuses all of my other beliefs.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 06:39:20 PM »
I am a believer.   Huge fan of the gospel Jesus.   Infuses all of my other beliefs.

Preach
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 06:55:38 PM »

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 07:05:22 PM »
imagine thinking you have to try to disprove the existence of God, when that cannot be done.

I can't disprove the existence of Gandalf either. I don't really care to. Who cares about fantasy characters?

Still weird to feel sorry for people that aren't into whatever your fandom is. I don't feel bad for people that don't like Star Trek as much as I do, ya know?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2023, 07:15:22 PM »
1. When it comes to deities and the like, believe what you want to believe.
2. Respect how or what others believe (or disbelieve).
3. Don't impose your beliefs on others who don't share them.
4. Don't cry foul when people call you out for not living in accordance with your professed beliefs. Thank them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2023, 07:15:43 PM »

I also understand skepticism and unbelief.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2023, 08:36:01 PM »
I can't disprove the existence of Gandalf either. I don't really care to. Who cares about fantasy characters?

Still weird to feel sorry for people that aren't into whatever your fandom is. I don't feel bad for people that don't like Star Trek as much as I do, ya know?

ND Sucks

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2023, 09:32:40 PM »

Honestly, I feel sorry for people that lean on religion. If that's what you need to get through your day/week/life, I guess you do you, but I really feel like it saps all meaning out of the life we are actually living. It doesn't really matter what happens here, you think you have a get out of jail free card in the afterlife. When you know there isn't an afterlife, then this reality is all you have. The decisions you make here, the life you live here is what actually matters.

I don't know...life would feel pretty meaningless if it were all just a precursor to an afterlife. Just means that everything that happens here doesn't actually matter. How depressing.

But I guess whatever floats your boat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2023, 10:02:38 PM »
Honestly, I feel sorry for people that lean on religion. If that's what you need to get through your day/week/life, I guess you do you, but I really feel like it saps all meaning out of the life we are actually living. It doesn't really matter what happens here, you think you have a get out of jail free card in the afterlife. When you know there isn't an afterlife, then this reality is all you have. The decisions you make here, the life you live here is what actually matters.

I don't know...life would feel pretty meaningless if it were all just a precursor to an afterlife. Just means that everything that happens here doesn't actually matter. How depressing.

I disagree a bit. Some of the happiest people I know are true Christians. Sadly the huge majority of those who claim to be christians are bigoted, hate filled frauds.

I have generally found it true that the more people talk about their Christianity, the bigger the fraud.

Never forget that a huge majority of “christians” gleefully voted for a rapist. They gave him a mulligan.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2023, 10:31:45 PM »
I have respect for you and your beliefs if you're Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or Wiccan, as long as you have respect for the beliefs of others.

My uncle was more or less estranged from my very Catholic grandfather for a variety of reasons, including religion, in which he is a vocal atheist who never misses a chance to mock religion or faith.  His kids share his atheist beliefs but much closer following the manner and respect of his wife.  They willingly attend weddings and religious services of family members and I distinctly remember 2 of my cousins (his children) engaging and understanding/learning more of the Bat Mitzvah service of our other cousin because they knew it was important and their respect made the curious.

My BIL/SIL are modern orthodox Jews.  Live in a pretty heavily Jewish part of NJ, kids go to a Jewish school, I think I'm one of the only Gentiles my nieces and nephew interact with on a regular basis.  But they've never made me feel out of place or weird.  My BIL and his friends are always eager to tell my wife and I about the best new non-kosher food nearby that we should order in when we visit.  Same with my son's nanny who is an observant Muslim.  She has taught my wife about Ramadan and Eid, but also got us Christmas and Easter cards and little gifts for my son.

I get criticisms and dislike of religion.  I'm not the most traditional religious person despite characterizing myself as having strong faith/belief.  I think you can have your issues with religion and still be respectful.  Endless cracks about flying spaghetti monsters, calling the Bible or other religious books a "fairytale", or the implications that religious or people of faith are gullible or of lesser intelligence is the farthest thing from respectful and make you as intolerant as a Bible thumping evangelicals who think everyone else is on a highway to hell.

I personally find virulent atheists humorous in the fact that, much like vegans or ND grads, they will let you know that they are within 3 min of conversation.

This a pretty flawed way to look at a belief system and feels like you're just smugly generalizing an entire group of people because you disagree with what you perceive to be what they believe.  "Lean on religion" to "get them through the day/week/life" ...you give yourself away in the first sentence as thinking they are a joke so you're ready to condemn straight away.  Pretend to be ok with their beliefs, but drip with condescension while mischaracterizing them.

I can't think of a single extremely devout person Ive ever known that thinks their mortal life "doesn't really matter".  Like do you actually know people who don't care about their life on Earth cause its nothing in regards to the afterlife?  That just seems like some leap made based on some skewed perception.  I literally was at a traditional Catholic funeral on Friday and the message was "she's in a better place now and we can take peace in the after life, so don't be sad, but lets celebrate a life lived with meaning and purpose and joy. A life that meant so much to her and her loved ones."

Many MANY religious/people of various faiths need to be more accepting and respectful of others unlike them, but that fact alone doesn't mean that faith is a detriment to one's character and worthy of scorn or mockery.  As Ive gotten older and read/learned/interacted with information about various religions and faiths, the more Ive learned that there is more that binds us than drives us apart.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2023, 10:49:32 PM »
I personally find virulent atheists humorous in the fact that, much like vegans or ND grads, they will let you know that they are within 3 min of conversation.

You're not wrong.
On the other hand, I've never had an atheist show up on my doorstep trying to give me a Richard Dawkins book and asking whether I have a personal relationship with the void.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2023, 10:55:16 PM »
This a pretty flawed way to look at a belief system and feels like you're just smugly generalizing an entire group of people because you disagree with what you perceive to be what they believe.  "Lean on religion" to "get them through the day/week/life" ...you give yourself away in the first sentence as thinking they are a joke so you're ready to condemn straight away.

If you keep your beliefs to yourself, then go on about your day. But as much as condescending rocket "feels sorry" for me, I honestly think he misses the point of what life is actually about. The meaning of life is not and never has been a mystery. It is to live. And you can't maximize that if you believe this life is less important than a hypothetical afterlife.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2023, 03:54:38 AM »
If you keep your beliefs to yourself, then go on about your day. But as much as condescending rocket "feels sorry" for me, I honestly think he misses the point of what life is actually about. The meaning of life is not and never has been a mystery. It is to live. And you can't maximize that if you believe this life is less important than a hypothetical afterlife.

I don’t understand why you view these as mutually exclusive options. One can maximize their living in this life and still believe in an afterlife.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2023, 05:46:11 AM »

How do you know this?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2023, 06:00:01 AM »
St. Ignatius is reported to have said
'Pray as if everything depends on God.  Act as if everything depends on you.'

I don't KNOW that there is a God or an afterlife.  I TRUST that there is.   Regardless, virtue is its own reward.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2023, 06:57:33 AM »

So the good things that happen in life are due to god, but the bad things are just chit happens? If god is responsible for the good, wouldn’t he also be responsible for all the bad?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2023, 07:35:10 AM »
So the good things that happen in life are due to god, but the bad things are just chit happens? If god is responsible for the good, wouldn’t he also be responsible for all the bad?

No, it’s the devil that causes the bad things and the sins you’re committing.  Sinners never win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2023, 07:41:50 AM »
I disagree a bit. Some of the happiest people I know are true Christians. Sadly the huge majority of those who claim to be christians are bigoted, hate filled frauds.

I have generally found it true that the more people talk about their Christianity, the bigger the fraud.

Never forget that a huge majority of “christians” gleefully voted for a rapist. They gave him a mulligan.
Source?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2023, 07:46:41 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2023, 08:10:33 AM »
History
I wouldn't say a huge majority, but rather a vocal, and oftentimes powerful, minority.

feedback