'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A successful Kam-paign. Kolek-t the hardware.  (Read 6761 times)

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
Re: A successful Kam-paign. Kolek-t the hardware.
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2023, 07:14:27 AM »

Thats his schtick. It’s annoying. I really believe these MU games are an annoyance to him, as he rather would discuss Aaron Rodgers 24/7.

He says "chomp" instead of "champ" because that's how George Thompson used to say it.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2023, 07:28:21 AM »

Omax got a late offensive rebound late and tried to score instead of kicking the ball out and take time off the clock. Kolek was hot and 50%+ correct but maybe handled poorly.

I guess he didn't realize "the game was really never in doubt"   :D

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2023, 07:34:41 AM »
Anyone who says that game was never in doubt wasn’t paying attention to games around the country yesterday, specifically MSU-Iowa and FSU-Miami.

When you let a game get as close as that you are running the risk that a couple of missed FTs and desperation 3 point shots can turn what looked like a sure win in a gut wrenching loss.

Fortunately Kolek maintained control and made the clutch FTs (and the team’s only FG) over the last 8 minutes and secured the win.

But if the Coach can express his displeasure at some things that happened in the second half, and say at his press conference that it’s OK to have some mixed feelings about that game, I think it’s OK for fans too.

I can distinguish between CRITICIZING a performance and COMPLAINING about a win. It appears that some people on this board can’t.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2023, 07:37:17 AM »
"Never in doubt" is a bit of a hyperbole, but I was never really concerned about the outcome. And I saw the endings of the other games earlier in the day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

connie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2023, 07:42:04 AM »
I'm going to admit a bit of pucker as the gap narrowed.  Kolek stopped it from becoming a panic.  Dude is just ice.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2023, 07:43:33 AM »

Omax got a late offensive rebound late and tried to score instead of kicking the ball out and take time off the clock. Kolek was hot and 50%+ correct but maybe handled poorly.
Goose

How so? TK is the leader if this team. He is in winning mode. TK was 100% correct in His belief that OMax should have kicked the ball out….to help secure the victory. Because he didn’t, and made the ‘wrong’ play…..I believe TK was 100% correct in tuning omax up.
Im thankful for what TK did, as it may pay dividends in a late tournament game for omax to make the right play. Not always easy being the leader/bad guy but im glad we have one!
As shaka said post game….. if you have a good team…these confrontations can be beneficial….if not…well then you are DePaul.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2023, 07:46:35 AM »
I will say that the win feels a lot better for me the day after than it did near the end last night when it was just a relief to see the final seconds come off the clock. Prosper’s ill fated put back that led to a quick bucket at the other end really irked me. I didn’t notice it from the stands, but I’m glad that Kolek apparently dressed him down for that bonehead play.

There was not the kind of festive response from the crowd at the end that we envisioned in the build up to the game.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2023, 07:51:58 AM »
Anyone who says that game was never in doubt wasn’t paying attention to games around the country yesterday, specifically MSU-Iowa and FSU-Miami.

When you let a game get as close as that you are running the risk that a couple of missed FTs and desperation 3 point shots can turn what looked like a sure win in a gut wrenching loss.

Fortunately Kolek maintained control and made the clutch FTs (and the team’s only FG) over the last 8 minutes and secured the win.

But if the Coach can express his displeasure at some things that happened in the second half, and say at his press conference that it’s OK to have some mixed feelings about that game, I think it’s OK for fans too.

I can distinguish between CRITICIZING a performance and COMPLAINING about a win. It appears that some people on this board can’t.

Agree. Although I thought we would win despite DP's late game heroics, or whatever the Hell it was, assuming that it was not possible (my take from some of the comments) for DP to win? Very improbable-yes, but not impossible.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »
A significant part of the anticlimactic feeling at the end of the game was that the last couple of minutes took forever because of the fouling and parade to the free throw line. That game shouldn’t have come down to that.

I was happy that, after OMax’s bonehead play, DP let Kolek dribble for 20 seconds before fouling him unintentionally. I was also grateful that the Demons kept driving to the basket instead of shooting 3’s, which Johnson and Gibson had been draining. They weren’t going to catch up trading 2 for 1 or 2.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2023, 08:43:51 AM »
A significant part of the anticlimactic feeling at the end of the game was that the last couple of minutes took forever because of the fouling and parade to the free throw line. That game shouldn’t have come down to that.

I was happy that, after OMax’s bonehead play, DP let Kolek dribble for 20 seconds before fouling him unintentionally. I was also grateful that the Demons kept driving to the basket instead of shooting 3’s, which Johnson and Gibson had been draining. They weren’t going to catch up trading 2 for 1 or 2.

Was nice that TK hit what 7 of his 8 free throws at the end!  Iceman!   

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2023, 08:46:49 AM »

I was at the game and DePaul’s play selection puzzled me but I wasn’t going to complain.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2023, 08:47:28 AM »
As I said, I hope Tony Stubblefield is employed by DePaul for a very long time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »
"Never in doubt" is a bit of a hyperbole, but I was never really concerned about the outcome. And I saw the endings of the other games earlier in the day.

Agreed. I don’t think there is anything inconsistent with saying I never really doubted that MU would win and still being displeased with how they finished. I wanted MU to win by 20+ and feel like they should have. I’m displeased that they didn’t. But I was never concerned that they were going to lose. And I wathched other games too.

Honestly, I’m not completely disappointed if the team has a bit of a sour taste in its mouth. I was on record saying that I didn’t want them to treat last nights game as a coronation. There’s still a lot of work to be done.

Stay hungry, Warriors. No finish line.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2023, 09:03:35 AM »
Agreed. I don’t think there is anything inconsistent with saying I never really doubted that MU would win and still being displeased with how they finished. I wanted MU to win by 20+ and feel like they should have. I’m displeased that they didn’t. But I was never concerned that they were going to lose. And I wathched other games too.

Honestly, I’m not completely disappointed if the team has a bit of a sour taste in its mouth. I was on record saying that I didn’t want them to treat last nights game as a coronation. There’s still a lot of work to be done.

Stay hungry, Warriors. No finish line.

I’m wondering if anyone not named Kolek has that ‘step on the throat’ mentality.  This had shades of the Butler game where they got up big early, lost their focus and made the game much closer than it should have been.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2023, 09:09:16 AM »
I think y’all are way, way too worried about the end of that game. This team doesn't have a bad loss and have executed just fine down the stretch in some big games. They know how to put teams away.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »
This thread is so Scoop it hurts.

We just won the big east for the first time in a decade, after being picked 9th in the conference, on our way to a potential 2 seed, and yet all you see in the post game thread is whining and complaining.

Y’all really are joyless

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2023, 09:51:21 AM »
Again, Shaka wasn't playing that game seriously. He was testing out little used lineups and different sub patterns. He had to put the starters in at the end to close it out and they came in cold. I'm really not worried
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »
This thread is so Scoop it hurts.

We just won the big east for the first time in a decade, after being picked 9th in the conference, on our way to a potential 2 seed, and yet all you see in the post game thread is whining and complaining.

Y’all really are joyless

Exhibit A.

CRITICISING is not whining and complaining.

If it is, then Shaka Smart and Tony Smith are both whiners and complainers.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »
Exhibit A.

CRITICISING is not whining and complaining.

If it is, then Shaka Smart and Tony Smith are both whiners and complainers.

I know it’s unfathomable to you, but just try to enjoy a regular season championship for one second. I promise, you’ll like it!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »
Again, Shaka wasn't playing that game seriously. He was testing out little used lineups and different sub patterns. He had to put the starters in at the end to close it out and they came in cold. I'm really not worried

For sure this. Proof?: Ben gold played a ton in the first half when Oso only had 1 foul. If Oso was in there more often we woulda been way more up at half.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2023, 10:57:52 AM »

This was my take as well. I can assure you that my wife quickly got tired of my repeating it during the first half.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »
I know it’s unfathomable to you, but just try to enjoy a regular season championship for one second. I promise, you’ll like it!

Great point, Hound.

Also, I think this game illustrates what Shaka means when he talks about ‘violence’. MU had it in the 1st half and built a 20 point lead. They came out in the 2nd half with zero intensity and violence. Shaka saw it immediately and did a line change 2 minutes into the 2nd half.

But they had lost all intensity and it can be really hard to turn it back on.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2023, 11:14:28 AM »

I guess you haven't been paying attention. I enjoy it plenty, especially compared to those who brush it off as irrelevant and use the NCAA tournament as the true measure of success.

Just worry about yourself, because I am just fine.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2023, 11:15:47 AM »

For sure this. Proof?: Ben gold played a ton in the first half when Oso only had 1 foul. If Oso was in there more often we woulda been way more up at half.

Oso picked up his 2nd foul with like 13 minutes left in the first half. I was actually surprised at how much Shaka still used him. Worked nicely as Oso had a personal 6-0 run that stretched the lead. Finally got burned in the last minute when he picked up his 3rd.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2023, 11:18:46 AM »

It seems like Gold has often been subbed in early, regardless of Oso having fouls. Skaka seems to like getting some of the bench players a taste of the game early, and makes a sub or two if there's a stoppage any time within a minute or so before the first media timeout.