'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena Site and Financing Plan to be Unveiled by January  (Read 27174 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: New Arena Site and Financing Plan to be Unveiled by January
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
Anyone here really think MU will kick in? The next question should then be, why?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Anyone here really think MU will kick in? The next question should then be, why?

The only "why" part I can think of for the time being is to get input in how the seating goes. Perhaps something more conducive to a "student section" than just a thrown in portion of the seats.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
Will the Admirals be kicking in any money for this?  They use the stadium more than Marquette does I presume?  Or will the new stadium not include the ability to convert?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »

I think MU does, in lieu of some sort of rental agreement or some modification thereof said agreement.  Depending on the location chosen, they may be donating the land as their contribution because some of the $500 mil price tag is land acquisition.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
Ya really think it's goin' up on 8th and Michigan?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
Depending on the initial investment, I can see MU kicking in if they're given a percentage of the parking/alchohol/concessions money for events at the arena. Right now, I think they only get gate revenue.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
Right now, Lasry and Edens wanna own this sucker, but have the public kick in. That may fly in NY, not here in Bumblefook. If they can't get that to go, they'll take it private, call all the shots, and MKE will be SOL.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
Right now, Lasry and Edens wanna own this sucker, but have the public kick in. That may fly in NY, not here in Bumblefook. If they can't get that to go, they'll take it private, call all the shots, and MKE will be SOL.

What part of a private stadium would make MKE SOL?

connie

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
For one, it won't be here.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:45:31 PM »

So MKE expects these guys to fork up hundreds of millions but then not own the place? 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Invest in it if the return is right.  Determining design/seating, advantage in rent agreement, getting additional revenue...plenty of negotiating points.  Being another voice making demands but not chipping in just gives less leverage when we complain that our new home isn't ideal when we have to be stuck with it for 30+ years.

The part that gets put in Seattle.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »

So MKE expects these guys to fork up hundreds of millions but then not own the place? 

Likewise, the city and state aren't gonna partner up and turn over the keys to the joint either.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »

Likewise, the city and state aren't gonna partner up and turn over the keys to the joint either.

And end up with nothing.  So very Milwaukee.

connie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »

And end up with nothing.  So very Milwaukee.
No, In Milwaukee we dick around forever, then build it too small in a place no-one wants to go, then try to put a trolley car line in and claim that will bring people to the arena.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »
Milwaukee is a nice little town, but it's not exactly packed with big ideas. Hoping I'm wrong, but I think Milwaukee will still find a way to fumble this. Those NY owners must still be reeling from the culture shock they experienced when they first came to town.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
The only "why" part I can think of for the time being is to get input in how the seating goes. Perhaps something more conducive to a "student section" than just a thrown in portion of the seats.
I don't think Marquette is worried about a student section at $99 per student for the year.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
For one, it won't be here.

They can't build it anywhere else.  The sale agreement forbids moving the team.  If the city and owners don't agree to an arena, they can only sell it back to the NBA, who is then free to sell it to anyone else.

There is no guarantee, they would be owners then and would have to invest considerably more than the current deal to move the franchise.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
They can't build it anywhere else.  The sale agreement forbids moving the team.  If the city and owners don't agree to an arena, they can only sell it back to the NBA, who is then free to sell it to anyone else.

There is no guarantee, they would be owners then and would have to invest considerably more than the current deal to move the franchise.

Can you show us a link to this? I heard this but I also heard this isn't true. I believe it is more of a good faith agreement than anything else but there hasn't been anything official reported.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
Can you show us a link to this? I heard this but I also heard this isn't true. I believe it is more of a good faith agreement than anything else but there hasn't been anything official reported.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/06/28/losing-my-mind-over-the-milwaukee-bucks-sale/

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »
My hope is that the Bucks chose the Grand Avenue site. That would make the arena practically on campus. Huge for us. obviously the other sites are close too so won't be too disappointed either way.

Would be even better if they built on our new  land acquisition. I seem to remember someone on this site doing an overlay that showed an arena could be built on the site. However there may need to be more leg work done on the ancillary parking , re routing of traffic etc.   Although who knows anything can happen.

Our new President Lovell is the kind of guy the Bucks owners would prefer to deal with. He is a smart, competitive  and forward thinking guy. Much different than the Milwaukee pols. Hopefully he can leverage that to make a good deal for us. Maybe even figure out a way to have the Bucks conduct their practices at the Al (NCAA permitting of course).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
My hope is that the Bucks chose the Grand Avenue site. That would make the arena practically on campus. Huge for us. obviously the other sites are close too so won't be too disappointed either way.

Would be even better if they built on our new  land acquisition. I seem to remember someone on this site doing an overlay that showed an arena could be built on the site. However there may need to be more leg work done on the ancillary parking , re routing of traffic etc.   Although who knows anything can happen.

Our new President Lovell is the kind of guy the Bucks owners would prefer to deal with. He is a smart, competitive  and forward thinking guy. Much different than the Milwaukee pols. Hopefully he can leverage that to make a good deal for us. Maybe even figure out a way to have the Bucks conduct their practices at the Al (NCAA permitting of course).

Yeah, the Al isn't big enough for a NBA training facility

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:43:07 AM »
Did the journal sentinel finally decide to give up their building?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

414mufan

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 03:06:48 AM »
The new arena will be just north of the BC. Edens and Lasry want public to kick in money, but if and most likely when it does not happen, they are paying for the whole thing. Thats according to my source who is close to the situation.

connie

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 07:27:46 AM »

The highest value for the team is simply not here in Milwaukee.  If a stadium does not get under construction by the shortly coming deadline, the team is likely moving.  Wether is is moved by the current owners, the NBA or a new owner is irrelevant. Does the term you cite mean the current group wants to get a deal done here? Yes, or the team would likely be gone already.  I think the only real hope is that the huge disparity in the price they paid vs. the Clippers means they believe their purchase price was such a great deal that they can contribute significantly more than the figures that have been cited towards a new arena.  Kind of like Jane Pettit riding in for the rescue after the City spent years screwing around talking about replacing MECCA.  Even then the only way the Bradley Center got built was her amazing gift that pretty much shamed the City into building a few parking lots.  While I am hopeful that something gets done, I cannot rely on a City that refuses to sell a crumbling parking structure with significant maintenance needs to one of its best corporate citizens and has already designated most of the downtown tax base for trolley TIFs.  Unless the new guys think it makes sense to (mostly) privately finance an arena I see no desire or impetus for the public to intervene.  Hope I am wrong.

feedback