Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brew City Ball forum..  (Read 27160 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Brew City Ball forum..
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
I was on the Creighton boards and they have a listing of all the BE team forums(really handy wish I saw it sooner) I didn't even know this BCB forum existed. Sure enough, I got an instant shoutout of there lol.

"Wow, you'd think we lost. They are really unhinged. I am convinced Badgermaniac and HaywardsHeroes are the same guy, equal amount of MU hate."

I don't think I was even in the top 50 of irrational posters yesterday lol questioning Ox sitting was the only remote negative I said. If that's unhinged I hope to lord they didn't see me after the Butler LOSS.

And I didn't even know there was a badgermaniac on this board...But I guess were 1 in the same!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Brew City Ball forum..
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Fook the other boards.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
So you're going to post there exclusively now and you're bringing Nevada, Chris Columbo, The Sultan of Silly and setyoutsightsnorth with you?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
So you're going to post there exclusively now and you're bringing Nevada, Chris Columbo, The Sultan of Silly and setyoutsightsnorth with you?

Nope I'm gona keep the party rolling here!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?6363-MU-Scoop

I don't visit there often and won't sign up because I don't want to give IWB a heart attack  ;).  His place, he should run it as such.

However, didn't realize how many folks there truly think there are Badger trolls on here.  Not what I have seen, anyway.

I was glad to see that board call out the 3 point defense at the end of the game.  Not much talk about it here on Scoop.  I will never understand why we don't foul in that situation, but Buzz doesn't like to.  Letting that guy take a wide open 3 was really something.   :o

Still prefer this site to the Scout site which I find to be incredibly boring, no discussion, and group think on steroids.  

For that I might get a phone call of reprimand...  LOL

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:10:25 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »
Browsed over there a bit tonight and it looks pretty vanilla, no thanks.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:27 AM »

Same thought here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »

Yeah almost as bare as scout.

This board may get extreme following games at times but at least its interesting with lots of topics being brought up.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »
nm, damn video wont embed!

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »
who cares about creighton. they will be irrelevant in 2 years after the loss of both Mcdermotts next year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »
http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?6363-MU-Scoop

I don't visit there often and won't sign up because I don't want to give IWB a heart attack  ;).  His place, he should run it as such.

However, didn't realize how many folks there truly think there are Badger trolls on here.  Not what I have seen, anyway.

I was glad to see that board call out the 3 point defense at the end of the game.  Not much talk about it here on Scoop.  I will never understand why we don't foul in that situation, but Buzz doesn't like to.  Letting that guy take a wide open 3 was really something.   :o

Still prefer this site to the Scout site which I find to be incredibly boring, no discussion, and group think on steroids.  

For that I might get a phone call of reprimand...  LOL

I agree, I was yelling at the TV for them to do it... and then discussed it with one of my friends after the game.

Oddly enough, Buzz didn't hear me from where I was sitting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
Didn't help that Steve Taylor let his arms drop by his side like he was protecting from the drive. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
I agree, I was yelling at the TV for them to do it... and then discussed it with one of my friends after the game.

Oddly enough, Buzz didn't hear me from where I was sitting.

On Saturday, Nova didn't foul up 3 against St. John's and it worked out. Memphis didn't foul up 3 on Temple and it worked out. Were Wright and Pastner still "wrong" for not fouling? Different coaches view that situation differently. Some feel that there are too many negative variables to fouling (off rebound, foul on their team after the miss, foul as player chucks up a 3, extends the game, etc) while others believe that the low odds of a team executing a make-then-miss on FTs and scoring are worth the foul. It can often depend on the team and the opponent. There's no clear-cut right or wrong. If your strategy works, it was right. If it doesn't, it was wrong.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
My signature says all that needs to be said about the resident expert outside of IWB at BrewCity Ball.  Was funny reading their site, and seeing BrewCity77 still obsesses about me.

Much better to be a part of a forum here that has a lot of post activity, varying opinions, fanboys, trolls, and every thing in between - than a board that is largely pollyanna and cannot allot for any negative viewpoints toward ANYTHING related to MU hoops.

And just because someone won't or doesn't post anything negative about MU hoops makes them no less of a fan, or better fan than those who do raise issues with decisions/personnel/strategy etc.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
My signature says all that needs to be said about the resident expert outside of IWB at BrewCity Ball.  Was funny reading their site, and seeing BrewCity77 still obsesses about me.

Much better to be a part of a forum here that has a lot of post activity, varying opinions, fanboys, trolls, and every thing in between - than a board that is largely pollyanna and cannot allot for any negative viewpoints toward ANYTHING related to MU hoops.

And just because someone won't or doesn't post anything negative about MU hoops makes them no less of a fan, or better fan than those who do raise issues with decisions/personnel/strategy etc.

Meh, I could honestly do without the trolls.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »
There have been some posters this year on scoop that have made me seriously question the value of a MU diploma.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
On Saturday, Nova didn't foul up 3 against St. John's and it worked out. Memphis didn't foul up 3 on Temple and it worked out. Were Wright and Pastner still "wrong" for not fouling? Different coaches view that situation differently. Some feel that there are too many negative variables to fouling (off rebound, foul on their team after the miss, foul as player chucks up a 3, extends the game, etc) while others believe that the low odds of a team executing a make-then-miss on FTs and scoring are worth the foul. It can often depend on the team and the opponent. There's no clear-cut right or wrong. If your strategy works, it was right. If it doesn't, it was wrong.

Many basketball analysts suggest the right play is to foul if there is less than 5 seconds left in the game...and the opposition has to bring the ball in full court.  You execute the foul at roughly the 2-2.5 second mark (or right before halfcourt) as player is unlikely to shoot the ball 2 seconds before buzzer (which eliminates potential risk of fouling a player when in the act of shooting.)

Many games have been tied hitting the 3 at buzzer like DePaul did.  Rarely do you see the 3 things that need to go right for the fouling strategy to burn you:  Guy makes first free throw, misses 2nd and team fails gather defensive board, and if they don't, the opponent not only getting rebound off FT, but then making the 2 point shot to tie.  Rarely recall seeing highlights of such a sequence of events taking place, compared to highlights showing exactly what happened to us against DePaul.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:18:24 AM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »
There have been some posters this year on scoop that have made me seriously question the value of a MU diploma.   

I'd agree with you, but, MU doesn't offer a diploma in Basketball 101 - if it did, I'd have some serious concerns too...given some of the perceptions and opinions shared as to what they feel ails this MU team.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Whether you foul or not, what I don't understand is why we have so many defenders inside the arc.  At that point in the game only a three pointer can hurt you.  I'd think you'd want all the defenders around the arc with hands up to push the shot out as far as possible.  Nobody ever does that.  I guess the fear of the quick layup and subsequent foul on the inbounds pass is the concern.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
Many basketball analysts suggest the right play is to foul if there is less than 5 seconds left in the game...and the opposition has to bring the ball in full court.  You execute the foul at roughly the 2-2.5 second mark (or right before halfcourt) as player is unlikely to shoot the ball 2 seconds before buzzer (which eliminates potential risk of fouling a player when in the act of shooting.)

Many games have been tied hitting the 3 at buzzer like DePaul did.  Rarely do you see the 3 things that need to go right for the fouling strategy to burn you:  Guy makes first free throw, misses 2nd and team fails gather defensive board, and if they don't, the opponent not only getting rebound off FT, but then making the 2 point shot to tie.  Rarely recall seeing highlights of such a sequence of events taking place, compared to highlights showing exactly what happened to us against DePaul.

Since DePaul inbounded with 8 seconds left and Garrett pulled up from 30' with 5 seconds left, does that mean that Buzz did the right thing by not fouling? Not questioning you specifically. Just asking.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »

I thought the same thing for a while but then I realized that I know some very intelligent people who are very "sports stupid." In fact, I'd venture to guess that a vast majority of sports fans do not have very high sports IQs.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

I'm not sure how this applies to Saturday.  I don't have the video queued up, but the clock stopped on the Garret 3 at 2.6 seconds.  Given that, I suspect the shot was taken at somewhere around 3.5-4.0 seconds, and halfcourt would likely be around 5 seconds.  Since fouling Garret at 2-2.5 seconds was not possible, are you suggesting we foul at 5+ seconds near halfcourt?   Seems to me too much clock left.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
brewcity77 - Et tu, Brute?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Since DePaul inbounded with 8 seconds left and Garrett pulled up from 30' with 5 seconds left, does that mean that Buzz did the right thing by not fouling? Not questioning you specifically. Just asking.

Beat me to it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »

So in the first part of this post you make fun of someone for having a different opinion then you.

Then in the second part you criticize others for not allowing other opinions?

The issue the "Pollyanna" posters have with the negative posting is not the content, it's the delivery. It's "we suck," "Jake wouldn't start for a D2 program," "Derrick is the worst PG in Marquette history." In most of the posts, there are no stats, no objective analysis, no reason. It's mostly just angry venting that turns into unnecessary bashing of 18 year old kids. Now, when pressed, the negativos will find stats to back up their opinions, but not without, and also after the bashing.

You, are a special case. You make intelligent, well reasoned arguments to back up your assertions. But you ruin it by posting it over and over and over and over and over...often in threads that don't have anything to do with the point you are trying to make. You also have been known to make things up like "Derrick has shown no improvement from last season."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback