'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best student section in the land?  (Read 11073 times)

mundelein jerry

• Walk-On
Re: Best student section in the land?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
Also: apparently Evans Scholars are given the front row of the lower center (main) student section. This practice needs to be put to rest, they are horrible. The only fans that should be eligible for that section in general are those who have missed one or zero games all year.

Ryan, you're a moron.  The Evans Scholars aren't given anything.  They show up extremely early in order to secure those spots.  My son was an Evans Scholar and although on occassion they'd have required events which made them miss a few games, when they're able to, they show up 6, 8, 10, 12, or more hours early to get those seats.  If you really want to get those seats, don't show up at gametime; put on some gloves and a hat and wait in line like the true fans

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »
We should probably stop announcing the "best student section in the country" before every game. At this point, it just sort of sounds tacky.

They stopped that quite awhile ago, they now say best student section in the county. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
I don't understand this conversation.  

As I noted before ... MU's undergrad enrollment is 7,800.  the student section at the BC is 4,100.  The BC's capacity is 19,000

The BC had 12,000 to 13,000 in the house (per Rosiak's estimate) and sold 16,800 tickets.

From other posts, it sounds like the student section was 75% full.  If so, how does a 1,000 more kids change anything.  Their would still be 4,000 to 5,000 empty seats.

Are you saying 12,000 to 13,000 is pathetic but 13,000 to 14,000 is great?

So, unless I'm missing this point of this conversation, how do 7,800 students that are allotted 4,100 tickets fill a 19,000 seat arena?  This doesn't add up.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »

Well, if the students wonder why their seating never improves this year is a good example. Reallly pathetic turnout for a team right in the NCAA hunt.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
Ryan, you're a moron.  The Evans Scholars aren't given anything.  They show up extremely early in order to secure those spots.  My son was an Evans Scholar and although on occassion they'd have required events which made them miss a few games, when they're able to, they show up 6, 8, 10, 12, or more hours early to get those seats.  If you really want to get those seats, don't show up at gametime; put on some gloves and a hat and wait in line like the true fans

Hope while they're waiting in line, the caddies at least clean the dirt off of some balls.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »
Lets be above the name calling, we're all trying to accomplish the same goal:  get a mass of people to get off facebook, and get drunk and get to the game.

We need more go-getters like Ryan on here, showing some emotion and want-to....Ryan I applaud your idea, all scholars should be moved to the rafters...

On to the next subject....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

From other posts, it sounds like the student section was 75% full.  If so, how does a 1,000 more kids change anything.  Their would still be 4,000 to 5,000 empty seats.

FYI .. The student section wasn't anywhere near 75% full.  It was probably UNDER 50%.  The upper bowl, which is the bigger of the two bowls for students, was like 3% full.  The lower bowl SS was maybe 95% full.  Net, net, maybe 45% full.  Just fyi.

RyanConroy

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
I've heard differently from at least three staff members. I don't show up at gametime, I'm five rows behind them every game, so I can actually see above the cheerleaders cones. Every game, a quarter of that section is silent. It's very frustrating. Every students' eyes are upon that area, whoever is sitting there needs to be a model for everybody else.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
Cheerleaders cones.  Hee Hee.

RyanConroy

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
Haha, I was going to call then loudspeakers or voice amplifiers, but those didn't seem right either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
Cheerleaders cones.  Hee Hee.

Certainly isn't referencing MU cheerleaders.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
I've been to every home game and it is disheartening to see such low attendance in the student section.

I don't get the excuse "students don't go to games because they don't think they will get an NCAA bid."    How lame is that.  
The truth of the matter is...this team is fighting to get that bid and you would think that the student section would be filled to the brim being as loud as they possibly can....especially these last several home games.

I certainly hope the BC will be sold out Wednesday night.

Oh, and I was home in time to watch the pre-oscar shows on tv........another lame excuse if you ask me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
84. There were about 1,100 students at the game today.

goodlknx1

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
I've heard differently from at least three staff members. I don't show up at gametime, I'm five rows behind them every game, so I can actually see above the cheerleaders cones. Every game, a quarter of that section is silent. It's very frustrating. Every students' eyes are upon that area, whoever is sitting there needs to be a model for everybody else.

You're hilarious.  You want to single out a group of individuals because the seating is general admission and they are committed to showing up earlier than you, but in the next breath you want to complain about how Marquette fans aren't committed enough to showing up to games.  The fact that the Evans Scholars are consistently at the games getting the front row should reflect that they are not the issue here, which is about needing a bigger, better student section (because ours is pitiful).  I'm one of those Scholars who sits in front and I am proud to say that I lose my voice often at games due to cheering, members of the administration have contacted us about coming to other sporting events in order to bring this same energy to their crowds... or if you don't believe my word, watch http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102610aad.html Episode 17, and you'll notice the same scholars who got to the Wisconsin game 16.5 hours early in order to get the spots we always sit in.

And by section, do you mean the two rows/8 seats that we take up on the left side?  There is plenty of space on the right side if you were also committed to showing up that early and being a role model since "Every students' eyes are upon that area" but I certainly don't recognize you as one of the people who get there early, so I'm just wasting my time answering your whining.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:51:49 PM by goodlknx1 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
FYI .. The student section wasn't anywhere near 75% full.  It was probably UNDER 50%.  The upper bowl, which is the bigger of the two bowls for students, was like 3% full.  The lower bowl SS was maybe 95% full.  Net, net, maybe 45% full.  Just fyi.

Way too generous, topper... the only students in the upper bowl were the ones holding a letter to the "fight hunger" banner.  That's 11 students, unless one of them was holding two letters; in that case, there was only 10.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:54:06 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
yes, channel this anger Ryan and putter kid.........this is the emotion we need at the game.  Yes, come WED I want to see dudes throwing bows, dudes and chicks making out after every bucket.  

If this energy is not there on wednesday, I will go to the top section and throw popcorn on you.  

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
just a question, but has buzz embraced the students? does he get out on campus, and talk to them - do the pizza parties, etc.?

Tommy Boy was good doing that

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
yes, channel this anger Ryan and putter kid.........this is the emotion we need at the game.  Yes, come WED I want to see dudes throwing bows, dudes and chicks making out after every bucket.  

If this energy is not there on wednesday, I will go to the top section and throw popcorn on you.  

Maybe we can get some Tyshawn action goin' on right here in the BC?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:01:08 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
These threads have no credibility as I was at many games with good energy and crowds only to come back to my computer and read exactly the same things as I'm reading here.

And, to prove the point that the crowd sucks, the crowd keeps dwindling from post to post.  

Rosiak blogs the student section is full and the rest was not.

MU_Hilltopper Posts
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24883.msg276937#msg276937

Honestly, we had to ask around if the students were on break or something, they were so bad.  The lower student section was 90% full .. the upper was 3% full.   I'm gonna say it was the worst Big East student section this year, easy. (Minus the xmas break ones.)

The rest of the Bradley Center was decently full .. lower bowl was 99% .. upper bowl was maybe 75%. Official attendance 16,800.  -- Since the floor is 13000, that means there was 3800 single tickets/walkups.

This was confusing which is why I thought we downgraded "full" to "75% full"

Later MU_Hilltopper clarifies
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24883.msg277068#msg277068

The student section wasn't anywhere near 75% full.  It was probably UNDER 50%.  The upper bowl, which is the bigger of the two bowls for students, was like 3% full.  The lower bowl SS was maybe 95% full.  Net, net, maybe 45% full.

Since the student section is 4100, 45% to 50% is 2000.

Since this doesn't sound extreme enough, marqptm cuts it in half again!
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24883.msg277103#msg277103

84. There were about 1,100 students at the game today.

Finally Benny B goes another step, only 10 people were in the upper bowl!
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24883.msg277113#msg277113

Way too generous, topper... the only students in the upper bowl were the ones holding a letter to the "fight hunger" banner.  That's 11 students, unless one of them was holding two letters; in that case, there was only 10.

How long until we have posters correcting me and saying that MU played in an empty arena?
---

This is why these threads have no credibility.  You scream the students section sucks every game.  Many of those games I was at and these threads are just plain wrong.  

Today, with MU playing a crappy team, in a game they were never behind, and completely outclassed in a blow out, the whining about the student section starts again.

Seems the students were correct to blow off this game.  Prov. was no match and their was really nothing to cheer about or expend energy about as we were always in the lead and the game was never in doubt.

Now, if we get a repeat against Cincy Wednesday night, you might have a point.  Problem is no matter what happens Wednesday, their will be a thread that the student section sucked.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:06:24 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
Maybe we can get some Tyshawn action goin' on right here in the BC?

I don't know if we need rock out with your cock out level emotion.

But if we do, we need the university to support these kids.  They deserve our support.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
Well, I was at the game.  I would concur that there were about 10 students in the upper bowl and, as I said before, the lower bowl student section had plenty of empty seats in it.
There were plenty of other empty seats in the upper bowl, but the lack of students was obvious and very disheartening.
Make of my observations whatever you choose to make of them.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
I love how this board has nothing to complain about, so it lashes out at fans that did not show up for a Sunday Game against a 3-13 BE Opponent.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Bottom line is it's just hard to fill the BC against a team like Providence unless it's senior day, Fr. Wild night, or ChicosBailBonds day.

I'd go to ChicosBailBonds Day 100 times over! Advertise and market it and you'll get Disco Demolition Night II.

Seriously, the Bradley Center was not built for playing Providence, or South Dakota State. Marquette could play those games in the Arena and still have empty seats. It was built for Syracuse, Georgetown, Notre Dame and others, where a good MU team will fill the place to the rafters.

I think 13,000 people on a Sunday afternoon for Marquette against a sub-par Big East team was a great draw. Besides, the alternative was staying home and watching TV Tommy get his head handed to him by Ohio State.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
I think 13,000 people on a Sunday afternoon for Marquette against a sub-par Big East team was a great draw. Besides, the alternative was staying home and watching TV Tommy get his head handed to him by Ohio State.

+1

If their was two homes games on the BE schedule to blow off, they were DePaul and Prov.  And, the wild crowd was not needed for a win in these games.  Both were laughers.

I'll come back to what I've said before ... you all want a school with 8,000 undergrads to pack 12,000 to 14,000 students in the BC.  Maybe we should worry about MU's Math department because many here seem to have a basic counting problem.

Add

And remember that was 13,000 in attendance with 16,800 tickets sold.

I went to the ND game in south bend.  The Joyce center seats 9,000, it was not sold out and their were hundreds of MU fans, so many that our noise annoyed the ND faithful.

MU fans are among the best in the BE.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:27:30 PM by AnotherMU84 »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
I love how this board has nothing to complain about, so it lashes out at fans that did not show up for a Sunday Game against a 3-13 BE Opponent.
Well, its a pretty easy target. I arrived just at tipoff and the first thing I said to my friend was how pathetic the  student section looked. I normally don't join these threads, but it was a late weekend day game (so being hungover isn't a problem), wasn't break, and wasn't midterms or finals. Yet, the whole section behind the band was empty. I just couldn't understand it.

feedback