'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU basketball memorablia--your best and worst  (Read 30075 times)

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Re: MU basketball memorablia--your best and worst
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
Best: Framed copies of the sports pages from the Chicago Tribune "IT'S WADE'S WORLD" and Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel "EAGLES HAVE LANDED" from the 2003 Final Four Run. The Tribune one kinda sucks though because the second headline, referencing Kansas' win over Arizona reads "Jayhawks get the last laugh." The foreshadowing is a little thick.

Worst: A sign I made junior or senior year that looks like it took 5 seconds to make, reading "Party like it's 1977." Signed by Tom Crean. Should have been in the trash before he left anyway. So it's crappy, signed by Crean, should have been trash anyway, and makes little to no sense.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
Best:  I took the "Kentucky" sign off the wall of the Metrodome in Minneapolis in 2003 after the blowout. I flipped it upside down and wrote the score with a Sharpie as well as "Kentucky Goes Down!". Signed by the whole team. I also had Father Wilde sign it as well as any past player that was in the vicinity. Also got John Harris' brother's signature. I thought he was John at first and then realize he wasn't. I asked him to sign anyway. Great Day.

Best: Reuters pix of the MU Pittsburgh game in 2003. The photographer was a great guy and emailed them to me.

Best: Autographed Al Picture. Hands towards the sky.

Worst: MU Louisville pic with my friend (Louisville grad) and I after Jerry Smith woke up and hit two threes to win in the Bradley Center.

Worst: Disorderly conduct ticket based on a fight with some drunk UWGB fans after they beat us about 33 to 28. Started drinking with college pals way too early in the day.

Hey Ruthy, I thought it was the Marquette sign.   Boy, was I drunk.  Gave you props in a previous post.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
Next Best - Mike Bargen game worn jersey.

If your Mike Bargen jersey was a blue #21 purchased on eBay over the last year or so, chances are I was one of the people you outbid.

In fact, I am surprised there aren't more people touting their game used jerseys among their 'best' memorabilia.  I've missed out on several jersey auctions over the last few years.  I recently missed out on a durene jersey from the 1950's that was in the old-school "bib" style.  

I am still devastated by the Sniper bidder who nabbed an old blank jersey auctioned by the Milwaukee Rescue Mission a few years ago.  I was so close to landing it.  It still hurts.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few jerseys here and there, including a Jerel McNeal Jersey circa 2006 and a gold jersey from 1986 (or thereabout) without a number on it.  However, they were both damaged a bit during the recent flooding.  A bummer indeed.  Hopefully the professional cleaning will restore them both to their former glory.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »
Worst: Crean bobble head

Best: Signed DWade MU jersey

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
So, are you going to trash it?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
So, are you going to trash it?

The Crean booble head? No, I just have it facing backwards on my credenza next to my DWade and Novak bobble heads and the DWade giveaway from a few years back.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
Best: USA Today Sports Section with March Madness 2004 preview.  On the front page, a picture of the dejected Kentucky bench from their infamous loss the year before.

Worst: That glass jar of about two-dozen plastic pom-poms I collected while in a stupor (so it seemed like a good idea at the time) at Embassy Suites in Indy and the Crowne Plaza in Mpls before the games... an eyesore that sits behind my statuette of Al that I can't bring myself to throwing them away.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
A while back we were talking about best and worst MU memorabilia and I mentioned that I had these.  Finally got around to loading them.  These things are officially licensed college apparel made for a major retailer that I happened to be working at, not some knockoffs.  They were demos that were made (the only two I know of), and the name changed back so quickly they weren't sold in stores.

If you want to see better resolution photos, click this link:  http://tinyurl.com/muthegoldtshirts

Made before any logo was agreed upon, so you'll still see the old Golden Eagle here with the new name.

If you look closely, that is the little registered trademark symbol that shows this was licensed.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Best: I have a basketball shoe signed by the whole final four team. 

Worst: President Wild bobblehead

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
I have a strand of our net from the 1977 championship game at the Omni in ATL. No, it's not for sale.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
Best: Marquette Warriors hat signed by Dwyane Wade
Worst: Marquette Warriors hat signed by Tom Crean

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
Best:  Marquette Warriors license plate holder.  Until last year it was the only thing Warriors I had left...then I got a Marquette Warriors t-shirt through this site when someone was selling them for a while.  The other great thing about the license plate holder?  They gave it away at a game when I bought a Marquette BB t-shirt for one of my kids at the Bradley Center years ago.  "Free" and "Warriors"....goes together as well as "free" and "golf".

Worst:  4 Fr. Wild bobbleheads.   What am I going to do with 4?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »
Favorite is my Warrior sweatshirt signed Tenn Head Coach KO. He signed three hours and 26 beers after losing to Duke in Knoxville. Hours later it became reality.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Best: Marquette Warriors hat signed by Dwyane Wade
Worst: Marquette Warriors hat signed by Tom Crean

Same hat?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
Lighthouse, PM me :)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
A while back we were talking about best and worst MU memorabilia and I mentioned that I had these.  Finally got around to loading them.  These things are officially licensed college apparel made for a major retailer that I happened to be working at, not some knockoffs.  They were demos that were made (the only two I know of), and the name changed back so quickly they weren't sold in stores.

If you want to see better resolution photos, click this link:  http://tinyurl.com/muthegoldtshirts

Made before any logo was agreed upon, so you'll still see the old Golden Eagle here with the new name.

If you look closely, that is the little registered trademark symbol that shows this was licensed.

Please destroy these.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

Please destroy these.

Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it though.  Plus, it's an excuse to post this again.

6Under20

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
I'll let others decide if it is a Best or Worst.  Grabbed a final press stat sheet from the 2003 Kentucky game (Wade's triple-double there in black and white) and Tom Crean signed it at the team hotel at the celebration in Minneapolis.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
I'll let others decide if it is a Best or Worst.  Grabbed a final press stat sheet from the 2003 Kentucky game (Wade's triple-double there in black and white) and Tom Crean signed it at the team hotel at the celebration in Minneapolis.

WTF were you doing celebrating at the hotel?  I thought everyone was at that bar whose name I was too inebriated to remember.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
I've got a T shirt from the early 80's with a scrawny chicken with Notre Dame written across the body being held by the neck by a MU arm.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
My co-worker has Tom Crean's underwear he wore against Kansas at the 2003 Final Four. There's a gigantic poop stain in them.

Jim Sawdust

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
Worst: two of the plaster FF rings, lurking in the basement.

Best: the bride's pale yellow MARQUETTE 1 tank top from her senior Spring (ah, 1977)

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »

Gold really would have taken off if they got rid of the 'the'.

Best memorabilia: 1998-99 pocket schedule with photos of Jarrod Lovette and Kiesha Oliver

Sawsi

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
If your Mike Bargen jersey was a blue #21 purchased on eBay over the last year or so, chances are I was one of the people you outbid.

In fact, I am surprised there aren't more people touting their game used jerseys among their 'best' memorabilia.  I've missed out on several jersey auctions over the last few years.  I recently missed out on a durene jersey from the 1950's that was in the old-school "bib" style.  

I am still devastated by the Sniper bidder who nabbed an old blank jersey auctioned by the Milwaukee Rescue Mission a few years ago.  I was so close to landing it.  It still hurts.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few jerseys here and there, including a Jerel McNeal Jersey circa 2006 and a gold jersey from 1986 (or thereabout) without a number on it.  However, they were both damaged a bit during the recent flooding.  A bummer indeed.  Hopefully the professional cleaning will restore them both to their former glory.

That would be the jersey.  I'm glad I could out bid a fellow scooper for it.   ;)

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Best:   Framed Wade MU Jersey, a few Al McGuire Autographs, a 20 x 24 framed photo of the infamous Hughes Father flipping off Al dancing on the table

Worst:  Tom Crean bobblehead, Tom Crean signed book, Tom Crean signed ball (unfortunately with with the 3 Amigos)

Currently Favorite, hope not to be my worst soon:   Very cool, large metal artwork of Buzz (signed) doing his dance after the DJO Louisville dunk....

feedback