collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Where is a good fish fry?  (Read 5495 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Where is a good fish fry?
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
For this post I can't make a poll because I havent found one I like off the top of my head.  I am looking for a good fish fry in the Milwaukee Area. Parents are coming in Friday night and I have been jonesing for a good one. Here are the criteria though:

A) Beer battered deep fried fish. None of this "breaded and pan fried" crap. I want something where the crust is like a 1/5 inch thich flakey and dripping with oil. I want a place that gives full submergence to the fish. I dont want something that looks like it could be stubstituted for a filet 'o'fish from the McD's drive thru.

B) options other than fries. I like me some potato pancakes with apple sauce now and again too. I usually get both if they are options.

c) tartar sauce and cole slaw - any place that doesnt have like the premade crap would be great. Hell I don't even really want that stuff but if I didn't come from a package/container I'd probably eat it.

D) Atmosphere and beer a + but unnecessary. If there is an absolute dive that is giving me more fry than fish I'm going there.

So... is there such a place?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Where is a good fish fry?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
I am partial to Hooligans on the East Side. Many fish and side options as well as having a good beer selection. I also like Comet Cafe's too and they have a better beer selection.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
Turners is always good. Can be busy if there is an event at the BC. You can get fries or potato pancakes. It hits all your criteria
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
Turner Hall.

The Lakefront Brewery is a worthwhile trip, but always busy during lent.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
lake fronts is mass quantity crap IMO.

Comet is part of the slow food movement and actually makes damn good food.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
The fish at Lakefront is not that great, I admit.  But it's a really fun place to go.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
The fish at Lakefront is not that great, I admit.  But it's a really fun place to go.

Lake Front is fun to drink at I will admit. They have some good beers. Wish they had a better IPA though. Pretty weak.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
Robert's on Howell Avenue and Bolivar on Milwaukee's South Side...It's a small place, but their fish fry is amazing!

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »
Sobelmans has a pretty good fish fry.

Painted Parrot, 84th and National.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
Sobelmans has a pretty good fish fry.

Painted Parrot, 84th and National.

I'm sorry, but if you go to Sobelman's to order anything but a Sobelman, you're a fool.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
I'm sorry, but if you go to Sobelman's to order anything but a Sobelman, you're a fool.

What about a double?  :P

They do have a kick as BLT as well. Half a pound of bacon on it.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
What about a double?  :P

They do have a kick as BLT as well. Half a pound of bacon on it.

Any variation of the Sobelman is acceptable. (I actually do prefer the double)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
As of last night I had my 14th sobel patty 6 doubles and 2 singles since Jan 1 2009.

However given that it is a friday during lent (for catholics) I think the fish fry is acceptable. Maybe they'll make a sobel fish sandwich

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
Kegel's Inn on 59th and National has a good fish fry and decent sized selection of brews

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
For this post I can't make a poll because I havent found one I like off the top of my head.  I am looking for a good fish fry in the Milwaukee Area. Parents are coming in Friday night and I have been jonesing for a good one. Here are the criteria though:

A) Beer battered deep fried fish. None of this "breaded and pan fried" crap. I want something where the crust is like a 1/5 inch thich flakey and dripping with oil. I want a place that gives full submergence to the fish. I dont want something that looks like it could be stubstituted for a filet 'o'fish from the McD's drive thru.

B) options other than fries. I like me some potato pancakes with apple sauce now and again too. I usually get both if they are options.

c) tartar sauce and cole slaw - any place that doesnt have like the premade crap would be great. Hell I don't even really want that stuff but if I didn't come from a package/container I'd probably eat it.

D) Atmosphere and beer a + but unnecessary. If there is an absolute dive that is giving me more fry than fish I'm going there.

So... is there such a place?

Milwaukee Ale House walleye (or cod) won't disappoint:

1) potato pancakes +applesauce

2) spicy tartar (or equivalent) sauce

3) wall eye very delicious, although sorry, not dripping with lard; cod not bad either.

4) Sauteed veggies! (Mom will approve, and it's other non-slaw/fries side)

5) Finally:  Louise's demise + dozen other beers, what more could you want?

Off the top of my head:
1) Coach's bar and grill, quaint place on 13th & Layton by the airport, but standard fixins
2) Lakefront brewery is classic and has variety (bluegill, cod, tilapia, walleye, shrimp/shellfish?? i think) but be PREPARED to wait in line for a table cuz the place is usually packed.  might as well go on a brewery tour if you're 21, then eat :)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
Milwaukee Ale House walleye (or cod) won't disappoint:

1) potato pancakes +applesauce

2) spicy tartar (or equivalent) sauce

3) wall eye very delicious, although sorry, not dripping with lard; cod not bad either.

4) Sauteed veggies! (Mom will approve, and it's other non-slaw/fries side)

5) Finally:  Louise's demise + dozen other beers, what more could you want?

I am going there tonight and am now really excited. I have never been there before for Fish Fry and hearing a happy review about it is good.

Agreed. I once strayed away, slightly, from the sobelman... to the chicken sobelman. Never again, will I deviate from the true form of perfection.

I love going there with people for their first time. no need for a menu. I just want an order of cheese balls, a Sobelman burger (maybe a double) and a miller lite (substitute Bloody Mary if it is before noon).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:14:38 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:31 AM »
tried the sobel. Fish fry. It was very good. They had a pasta and cole slaw. Girl scout cookies too. I'll try turners ale house next

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
County Clare Inn. A little pricier but fantastic. Lightly battered using Smithwicks Ale. Has good portions and great mashed potatoes or thick cut fries as a side.

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
Tin Fish in San Diego

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/currentIssue/full_feature_story.asp?newmessageid=24413

This might also be helpful :)

My intern went to Trocadero's . . . I guess it was okay :)

feedback