collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Men's Soccer-Cause for Optimism  (Read 2090 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Marquette Men's Soccer-Cause for Optimism
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »
Well we're heading into year 4 now of Louis Bennett's tenure at Marquette and I think there is cause for optimism this year.   Bennett's first recruiting class are seniors this year.    Bennett took over a mess of a program and to be honest the winning hasn't come as fast as I thought or hoped it would. Our goals and winning pct has increased each year but its been baby steps: 3-10-4 last year.  We have been Big East level defensively the past couple years with Von Reuden and Jallow in the back but our offense has been pretty woeful. 

Looks like Louis tried to remedy that this off season signing two NSCAA All-Americans in MF Keith Sierra from Florida and F Andy Huftalin from Illinois.   It's hard to gauge how good these guys really are but our two other NSCAA All-Americans out of high school are probably our two best players in Von Rueden and Collaizi.   If Sierra and Huftalin pan out we could be looking at a very good season/.500 this year.   

Anyone know if Stefan Antojevic is going to re join the soccer program this year?
Marquette 2009 Recruiting Class
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/020609aac.htmlhttp://
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:48:35 PM by Stone Cold »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Marquette Men's Soccer-Cause for Optimism
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:38 PM »
*crickets*

;)

Just want you to know it's awesome that you're passionate about MU soccer.

SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:49:27 PM »
Yeah, there's plenty of room on this fan wagon.

It is mind boggling to me as someone who grew up in the area that soccer hasn't caught on at MU.   Especially when you look at Marquette High which is one of the premier hs soccer programs in the region.   A couple deep runs in the NCAA tourney could do wonders for the program.    Especially now since ESPN has twenty channels college soccer is getting *a little* more play on tv this century. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »

It is mind boggling to me as someone who grew up in the area that soccer hasn't caught on at MU.   Especially when you look at Marquette High which is one of the premier hs soccer programs in the region.   A couple deep runs in the NCAA tourney could do wonders for the program.    Especially now since ESPN has twenty channels college soccer is getting *a little* more play on tv this century. 

It's still soccer.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
Some games can be tedious to watch but most of the time it's pretty exciting.  All in all it's very high level soccer in the Big East that we're fortunate to be a part of.   Not a bad place to take the girlfriend or family on a Sunday afternoon or Friday night, you can lay back and talk.   Pace isn't as quick.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
I love the game, but it's hard to want to go sit/stand in the cold (usually) to watch us lose 2-0. A better team, and I'm there.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:41:38 AM »
It's still soccer.

One of those, huh?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:16:57 AM »

Marquette Marquette what's your cry? H-O-M-O Homo High!!!!!

Sorry, had too.  :P
But I like to throw handfuls...

feedback