collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So did Angelo's (other bars) always get raided every week?  (Read 10735 times)

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
So did Angelo's (other bars) always get raided every week?
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »
After the basketball game yesterday, students went to Angelo's to celebrate a Frozena FG and a MU Win. However MPD raided the place and gave around 40 kids underage drinking tickets, fake id tickets, the works. This isn't the first time this year. They raided the place last Saturday and two Thursday's ago and plenty of times throughout the past year. So this got me thinking...

1) Did bars back in the day always get raided by MPD?
2) Does the city need revenue that badly that they need to bust college bars to get money? (I can see why the bust MU bars b/c the the parents will pay the money and the city will get revenue)
3) MPD solve the 10 murders that happen in this city everday, instead of busting college bars!

🏀

• All American
Re: So did Angelo's (other bars) always get raided every week?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
It's Angelo's. It's known to serve underage students, I have no clue how they have a liquor license.

If you don't like MPD, then go to Murphy's, Caffrey's, Heg's or Harp & Sham where they actually care enough to not serve underage kids.

I think I was at Angelo's once after turning 21 and the cops showed up.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
After the basketball game yesterday, students went to Angelo's to celebrate a Frozena FG and a MU Win. However MPD raided the place and gave around 40 kids underage drinking tickets, fake id tickets, the works. This isn't the first time this year. They raided the place last Saturday and two Thursday's ago and plenty of times throughout the past year. So this got me thinking...

2) Does the city need revenue that badly that they need to bust college bars to get money? (I can see why the bust MU bars b/c the the parents will pay the money and the city will get revenue)
3) MPD solve the 10 murders that happen in this city everday, instead of busting college bars!

1)  As I recall, there used to be at least one Angelo's bust a semester during my first run ('01-'05).  Usually they'd get the place right around the start of hoops season (mid-November) and once the weather turned warm in April.  One of the funnier sights as an underclassmen was to walk past 'Blo's on the way home from Gyros or Real Chili and see the girls crying because they got an underaged drinking ticket. There also used to be raids every now and then too on some of the Water Street bars (1225 before it became Sullivan's, I recall had at least one bust), and the old Brown Bottle tavern in Schlitz Park (it was an underaged haven in 2002 and 2003 I remember).  

2)  Actually, parties used to be busted a lot more, since you could dock not only the people attending, but also the hosts for operating an illegal tavern AND once more for each underaged attendee.  I remember a couple of busts for $25,000, $30,000 towards the tail end of my time there.  

3)  MPD was a lot more proactive making busts in the earlier part of this decade because the crime rate was down in town.  It shot up quite a bit between 2004-2007, so accordingly, the busts went down.  Now that crime is falling again in Milwaukee (the murder rate plunged big-time from 2007 to 2008, plus overall violent crime was down 10%), I think the city now has more resources to go after the small (but lucrative) fish again.
The General has taken on a new command.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Milwaukee had 71 homicides in 2008.
Ludum habemus.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »

3)  MPD was a lot more proactive making busts in the earlier part of this decade because the crime rate was down in town.  It shot up quite a bit between 2004-2007, so accordingly, the busts went down.  Now that crime is falling again in Milwaukee (the murder rate plunged big-time from 2007 to 2008, plus overall violent crime was down 10%), I think the city now has more resources to go after the small (but lucrative) fish again.

A new police chief will do wonders i guess

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
It's Angelo's. It's known to serve underage students, I have no clue how they have a liquor license.

If you don't like MPD, then go to Murphy's, Caffrey's, Heg's or Harp & Sham where they actually care enough to not serve underage kids.

Murphs and Cadff's have both been raided too. Hell when I was working one night the cops came in - but didn't find any underage people, or so they thought.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see a lot of raids in the near future because a girl got caught with her like 5th drinking citation and instead of getting kicked out of school marquette gave her the option of telling which bars all the freshman go to. So don't be surprised to see the regular freshman bars i.e. angelos, ballpark and o'bradys get raided shortly. They raided Ballpark and only gave one person a ticket but the raid also resulted in a kid trying to jump a fence. He landed directly on his head from about a 15 foot drop, had to go through 6 hours of brain surgery, and is now blind in one eye among various other things. I thought this incident would reduce the number of raids we've had recently, but i guess not.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:31:02 AM »
marquette gave her the option of telling which bars all the freshman go to.

First - They actually needed to ask this one girl to figure out where all the underage drinking was happening??  If true, they're dumber than I thought.

Second - She ratted everyone out??  Marquette clearly needs some courses to teach kids some street smarts.  You don't roll over on the people that are nice enough to serve you a little booze!  Tell them that everyone you know drinks at Arts Performing Center.  That'll throw them off for a couple days.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:41 AM »
They raided Ballpark and only gave one person a ticket but the raid also resulted in a kid trying to jump a fence. He landed directly on his head from about a 15 foot drop, had to go through 6 hours of brain surgery, and is now blind in one eye among various other things. I thought this incident would reduce the number of raids we've had recently, but i guess not.
Uhh... I think I'll just take the ticket.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »

When I was a frosh and soph, in 1998-2000, Blo's was never "raided".  Cops came in from time to time, but to just hang out and get free food.  Maybe Angelo had a few extra green backs back in then.

As for Hegs, Caffrey's, and Murphy's, I only went to those places when I was 21, and may saw the cops come in and check IDs at the most like once a semester.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:03:27 AM »
No, because once upon a time, long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, freshman were legal.   Back then, MPD would lurk waiting to give jaywalking tickets up and down Wisconsin Avenue. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:48:42 AM »
I'd love to see a link to a news story about the "girl with like 5 drinking citations" and the "guy with a 6 hour brain surgery who is now blind in one eye".   

5 citations?  You would need to be extraordinarily unlucky, let alone stupid.  MU letting her stay in school because she "rolled" on Freshman bars?  As Seth Meyers would say .. Really?  .. as Rocky said .. they couldn't figure that out on their own?  And that info would be valuable enough to keep a student from getting expelled?  Realllly.

I don't doubt the entire story, but that sure sounds like a game of telephone.  Starts with a kernel of truth, ends up with something very different.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »
I'd love to see a link to a news story about the "girl with like 5 drinking citations"

If this is true, why would any of her underage friends want to party/drink with her?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see a lot of raids in the near future because a girl got caught with her like 5th drinking citation

Makes my one that I had up on my fridge throughout college look amateurish. 

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
The only raids I ever saw MPD conduct on Angelo's during my frosh/soph years (2000-2001) were on the kitchen.  They had to get more free food from that place than anywhere else.

It was always "rumored" that MPD was gonna come in and clean the place out.  Those nights were always the best because it kept the place from getting too crowded.  Nothing ever happened though.  The rowdy house parties were always more likely to be busted up.

To tell you the truth, I'm way more surprised that place has never been raided by the health department.  I remember numerous occasions in there where a giant 2" to 3" deep puddle of water was in the bar/restaurant area right by the bathroom hallway.  The source?  The overflowing toilet in the Men's room.  Gotta love 'Blos...
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »

+1 same deal here, man.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »
When I was a frosh and soph, in 1998-2000, Blo's was never "raided".  Cops came in from time to time, but to just hang out and get free food.  Maybe Angelo had a few extra green backs back in then.

As for Hegs, Caffrey's, and Murphy's, I only went to those places when I was 21, and may saw the cops come in and check IDs at the most like once a semester.

+1

I was sitting in there as a frosh. in 98 and Mike (the bartender and owner I think) hung up the phone and said, "ok everybody, the cops are coming in tonight, so everybody who doesn't want to see them, get out."

At first I just thought he was bluffing because he was sick of some of the younger kids at the bar that night, but on another occasion I saw him yucking it up with some officers who had come in for food.

The rumor then became that he had a brother/relative on the force and MPD was told to not really mess with Angelo's (unwritten rule), or at least call ahead and tip them off.

Angelo's serving minors really poses no public threat. Kids get drunk and stumble back to McCormick. But, that's a whole different issue.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:54:47 AM by 2002mualum »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
I'd love to see a link to a news story about the "girl with like 5 drinking citations" and the "guy with a 6 hour brain surgery who is now blind in one eye". 

The girl with citations sounds like foolishness, but the injured student who fell off a fence is completely true.  For whatever reason I can't find an article from either JSOnline or the Marquette Tribune on it, though.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
2)  Actually, parties used to be busted a lot more, since you could dock not only the people attending, but also the hosts for operating an illegal tavern AND once more for each underaged attendee.  I remember a couple of busts for $25,000, $30,000 towards the tail end of my time there.  

I remember this. Thank god they stopped doing this soo much by the time i was a junior and senior throwing parties, didnt hurt that our house had connections wiht the PSO's who would tip us off before the cops would come.

Check out this website. The city keeps a database open to the public that will list the health code violations for every business in the city. While most violations are mold on the ice machines door, some are more serious. Fun to take a look at. Angelo's was my first search when i found this link.
http://itmdapps.ci.mil.wi.us/cehri/search_by.jsp?conch=8892306002t5G6cr9VPdkfssg2zI5r4RBoV03s6Vv5B
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »
Check out this website. The city keeps a database open to the public that will list the health code violations for every business in the city. While most violations are mold on the ice machines door, some are more serious. Fun to take a look at. Angelo's was my first search when i found this link.
http://itmdapps.ci.mil.wi.us/cehri/search_by.jsp?conch=8892306002t5G6cr9VPdkfssg2zI5r4RBoV03s6Vv5B

Hmmmm. Marquette Gyro mysteriously does not show up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »
If you want to go *real* back in the day (86-90), there used to be a place that would have $3 all you can drink nights on Friday and Saturday nights at about 15th and Kilbourn.  Literally, people were printing their IDs on dot matrix printers, taping a picture of themselves to the paper, and covering the whole thing in packing tape and getting into the place.  After about two years of this foolishness, the cops finally raided the place and shut it down.

The same people then opened a bar under the same name with the same special in the middle of January on the other side the 16th Street viaduct, and the underage students went across in droves.  (The drinking age was either 19 or was in the transition to 21 at the time...I was of age so I was at the Lanche as usual.)  The police raided the place on its opening weekend and that was that.  I heard all sorts of stories about them chasing kids through the Hispanic neighborhoods and such.

In my four years at Marquette, it was the only bar I had ever heard of being raided.  I can't believe I cannot remember the name of the place...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »
Should have checked the wiki first...  The Green Tree

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/the_green_tree

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
No, because once upon a time, long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, freshman were legal.   Back then, MPD would lurk waiting to give jaywalking tickets up and down Wisconsin Avenue. 

I lived in that galaxy and one night I (along with three others on our way to the Rec Center from McCormick) got one of those tickets at 16th and Wisconsin b/c the straggler of the group left the curb after the "don't walk" sign started blinking and the two others and I stopped on the island between the lanes of traffic to wait for him.  Prior to that time, I actually thought the claims of this happening were urban legends.

In protest, we tried to pay the fine in pennies, but learned that there is/was a law in Milwaukee that limited the number of coins that could be used to pay a fine.  So the matter sucked in every way possible.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
1) Hopeully they keep it up.  Maybe the bars wouldn't be such overcrowded zoos for everyone else.  If they stay away from apartments and let DPS deal with the "scare tactic" on houses, it's all good.
2) Have you seen the disgusting amount of garbage laying around the city?  Or that it's a huge deal that crime actually went down one year?  Or taken a glance at the quality of an MPS education?  Or the taxes Milwaukee residents pay to try to solve these problems?  Again, I hope they keep it up.
3) 3650 compared to 71 is quite the exagerration.  If sending a bunch of underagers home crying stops them from doing something stupid that leads to them getting mugged, it's better the city gets the money than a criminal.

-The school should be embarrassed to give a diploma to anyone stupid enough to get 5 drinking citations.  One is pretty much normal, two or even three is bad luck and/or being reckless.  After that it's time for AA and community college.

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Did bars back in the day always get raided by MPD?

Was in school 95-99 and was in two bars that got raided - Big Shots (Caffrey's) and Murph's.  Let's just say I was "lucky" to get out.  :) 

I agree with the poster above that said that it usually occurred around the start of basketball season and again when the weather started to get warmer.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »
I remember this. Thank god they stopped doing this soo much by the time i was a junior and senior throwing parties, didnt hurt that our house had connections wiht the PSO's who would tip us off before the cops would come.

thats a great link. if you want to make yourself laugh look at ziggie's (spelled ziggies). hilarious
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:28:31 AM by muhoosier260 »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:23 AM »
I was at a party that got raided in 1999.   This was weeks after MPD busted into a house party with shotguns and there was huge backlash.          The party I was at was in Renee Row.   The cops walked in and one of them said, "I need to see everyone's IDs.  Everyone that doesn't have their ID, go home and come back so we can write you a ticket." ;)         One ticket was issued to someone stupid enough to actually show them their ID.     Closest I ever came to a ticket

chcsportsfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »
Funniest part about this is when you say Heg's doesnt serve underagers...haha, thats a joke...i cant tell you how many sophs go there...at least when i was a jr (and 21 mind you), that is where i would go w/ my soph. friends...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
1) Hopeully they keep it up.  Maybe the bars wouldn't be such overcrowded zoos for everyone else. 

This is funny.

Pre-legal drinking age: "Don't the Police have anything better to do than to raid bars?  We're not harming anyone!!"

Post-legal drinking age:  "I wish the Police would raid these bars to clear up the crowds."

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Funniest part about this is when you say Heg's doesnt serve underagers...haha, thats a joke...i cant tell you how many sophs go there...at least when i was a jr (and 21 mind you), that is where i would go w/ my soph. friends...

No Hagerty's got new ownership this semester and they are really cracking down.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
No Hagerty's got new ownership this semester and they are really cracking down.

Gee...I wonder why they are cracking down?  Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Marquette is now the owner of the building and probably has incorporated some language in its lease providing for some serious consequences if there are problems!

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
Badgerkiller: Point Taken. I guess I just have to go the Harp and Sham at 6am on the weekends now.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see a lot of raids in the near future because a girl got caught with her like 5th drinking citation and instead of getting kicked out of school marquette gave her the option of telling which bars all the freshman go to. So don't be surprised to see the regular freshman bars i.e. angelos, ballpark and o'bradys get raided shortly. They raided Ballpark and only gave one person a ticket but the raid also resulted in a kid trying to jump a fence. He landed directly on his head from about a 15 foot drop, had to go through 6 hours of brain surgery, and is now blind in one eye among various other things. I thought this incident would reduce the number of raids we've had recently, but i guess not.

I'm sure the University and the MPD know which bars the freshman go to regularly. It's not like its a secret rave or something.

If anything that kid getting hurt would be reason for there to be MORE raids, not fewer. Those are the kind of incidents they think they are stopping by keeping kids from drinking.

By the way, I am 100% behind a 18 year old being able to drink beer and wine. If you can get drafted and vote, you can have some beer or wine in my opinion.
We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »
As a parent of an 18yo who is heading off to college this fall, I would much rather have him drinking in bars rather than private parties off campus.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
Wow, Milwaukee and MU are just like other schools now. Things really HAVE changed.

Going even further back than Latvian Chess Master, I was there from 70-74 and prior to the state dropping the drinking age to 18, there was absolutely zero presence of MPD anywhere near the campus except for the parking lots. If you had even a halfway decent fake ID you could go to the Gym, Lenny's, Ardmore, Avalanche, even the packaged good stores with little to no fear.

There was so much drinking everywhere that we were rated the #1 drinking and party school by Playboy for several years. When they finally dropped us down to like #3, they said that their panel of experts had to do it because they decided that it wasn't fair to compare professionals (MU) with amateurs (everyone else) any longer!

Back in those days MU let the MPD issue tickets for illegal parking on all MU lots. I had a fraternity brother hauled out of class by the MPD and taken to jail for his 200 plus tickets! I always thought it was crazy for MU to do that because they gave up so much revenue when in reality they held the ultimate trump card because they could hold grades, prevent you from registering for classes or even prevent you from walking at graduation if you didn't pay up.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
I always thought it was crazy for MU to do that because they gave up so much revenue when in reality they held the ultimate trump card because they could hold grades, prevent you from registering for classes or even prevent you from walking at graduation if you didn't pay up.

Don't quote me, but I think that MU may be prohibited from doing so by some federal law?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
Don't quote me, but I think that MU may be prohibited from doing so by some federal law?

I don't think so, because they definitely threaten you with that now.  I think they even send out a letter saying you won't be able to walk in graduation unless you pay the tickets.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
-The school should be embarrassed to give a diploma to anyone stupid enough to get 5 drinking citations.  One is pretty much normal, two or even three is bad luck and/or being reckless.  After that it's time for AA and community college.

I believe you meant, College of Communications
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pardner

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »

This is funny.

Pre-legal drinking age: "Don't the Police have anything better to do than to raid bars?  We're not harming anyone!!"

Post-legal drinking age:  "I wish the Police would raid these bars to clear up the crowds."

18 year olds can fight our wars, decide our president, be parents, and hold full time jobs--but cannot drink, rent a car or stay at a hotel on their own.  Whacked.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

There was so much drinking everywhere that we were rated the #1 drinking and party school by Playboy for several years. When they finally dropped us down to like #3, they said that their panel of experts had to do it because they decided that it wasn't fair to compare professionals (MU) with amateurs (everyone else) any longer!

This is urban legend. I've heard this for years. When I was there in the 90's it always started with "a few years ago......" I've heard the same story told by UW grads.

Another MU urban legend is that GQ rated the Marquette men as "best dressed" and some magazine (the magazine changes depending on the story) rated the Marquette women as least attractive. Not true.
We Are Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
This is urban legend. I've heard this for years. When I was there in the 90's it always started with "a few years ago......" I've heard the same story told by UW grads.

Bingo.  Playboy has ranked party schools three times in their history, but they didn't start doing it until the late 1980s, and MU never made the list.   UW-Madison was tops in the most recent rankings back in 2006.

It all stems from an article they did in the 1960s where they called Madison, "The Party School" and people there took that to mean playboy was calling them the #1 party school in the country.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
thats a great link. if you want to make yourself laugh look at ziggie's (spelled ziggies). hilarious

haha, that was funny to look at! 

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
Hmmmm. Marquette Gyro mysteriously does not show up.

Real Gyros aficionados know that the real name is Gyros Delight.

http://itmdapps.ci.mil.wi.us/cehri/establishment_inspection_history.jsp?conch=5335

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
I got busted at Green Tree.  Went there with a bunch of guys after the Buster Douglas/Evander Holyfield fight- I think it was in '91?  I ordered one drink, and then the cops came.  It was the only time I was ever there.
A year later, I was at Murph's when it got busted, so raiding the campus bars is not a new thing.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
MU was written up in a publication for having the most bars per capita in the mid 80's.

Jules1993MUWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »
Wizard, was the bar Theo's?  It was across the street from the YMCA (east) dorm.  I spent many a night there my freshman year ;D

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
I have an extended family member that had a very very high rank in the Milwaukee County Police force (won't go into what position).

He tells me stories all the time how back then (maybe 25-30 years ago) they would be on MU's campus and would actually party with the students. Tell them to turn the music down or whatever and leave it at that. He recalls being down there and a news camera was filming something... some student went streaking through where the union is and he was forced to arrest the guy (after trying to signal him to run the opposite direction).

Seems to me back then police were much more relaxed for MU's campus.

However my advice to the original poster, stay out of "Blows." I'm not surprised it gets raided often. It's a well-known freshman bar. Stupid to go there

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
Correct the bar was the green tree opend up in 1988 on the other side of the viaduct after the one on 15th and kilbourn closed.  i was one of probbaly 75 people busted.  went to the court house a few weeks later and all of us that showed up got a suspended sentence that was wiped from the records if we had no drinking related offenses for i think 6 months.  i actually had a real ID that i got with a buddies info at the liscense branch but chose not to offer it to the police felt i was better off getting the ticket than plashing that thing to a cop trying to recite remeber sss#, addresses completely bombed. 

Actually the green tree reopened a yr or so later back at 15th and kilbourn and had nickel or dime beers one night a week. 

parties were never a problem vever was at a single party that ever got raided.  The only bars that got raided were the "freshman" bars.  the bars that had to let freshman in becuase they were not deemed a  senior or junior bar.

Parties again were never a problem, cops would walk by and never say a word and we host and i attended many many hug parties, block parties etc.  the only issues i ever saw from cops were they would tell the kids to get off the strreets and clear the streets if the parties over floewed onto the streets such as kilbourn or the cross streets 15th thru 20th or so.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
was walking down the sidewalk outside of renee row with a beer in hand.  MPD pulls up, says no beer on the sidewalk.  I step onto the grass, he says that's better and drives off.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
was walking down the sidewalk outside of renee row with a beer in hand.  MPD pulls up, says no beer on the sidewalk.  I step onto the grass, he says that's better and drives off.

It's like a shorter version of the brown bag story that Bunny Colvin tells on The Wire...
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle