[Today at 10:58:59 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Athletes To Be Employees and Unionized?  (Read 2790 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: College Athletes To Be Employees and Unionized?
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2023, 06:48:44 PM »
The highest "paid" college athletes are in the non-revenue sports like women's gymnastics or women's basketball. A pretty face and nice figure pays millions. Who needs to unionize?

I know guys it so unfair.

I haven't seen any article or list that dubs a female athlete in a non revenue sport as the highest paid or that they are a majority of the highest paid.  There are a handful of them amomgst the highest paid who are mostly quarterbacks
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2023, 07:12:33 PM »
I haven't seen any article or list that dubs a female athlete in a non revenue sport as the highest paid or that they are a majority of the highest paid.  There are a handful of them amomgst the highest paid who are mostly quarterbacks

Please don't dignify his asinine comment with a serious response.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2023, 08:32:03 AM »

She may not be the highest paid, but she is up there. C'mon Chick she is a pretty girl and taking full advantage of NIL.

https://people.com/olivia-dunne-says-she-win-the-national-championship-8378791

So are these young ladies.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-basketball/cavinder-twins-net-worth-how-much-hailey-hannah-cavinder-worth-2023 these
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 08:40:57 AM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2023, 08:54:50 AM »
She may not be the highest paid, but she is up there. C'mon Chick she is a pretty girl and taking full advantage of NIL.

https://people.com/olivia-dunne-says-she-win-the-national-championship-8378791

So are these young ladies.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-basketball/cavinder-twins-net-worth-how-much-hailey-hannah-cavinder-worth-2023 these

I am well aware of Dunne and the Cavinder twins. As I said:

which is not the same as:

The highest "paid" college athletes are in the non-revenue sports like women's gymnastics or women's basketball. A pretty face and nice figure pays millions. Who needs to unionize?

I know guys it so unfair.

You're also naïve if you think all it takes is a pretty face and a nice figure. If that were true, we would have hundreds of thousands more millionaires than we currently do.
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2023, 09:39:46 AM »
You're also naïve if you think all it takes is a pretty face and a nice figure. If that were true, we would have hundreds of thousands more millionaires than we currently do.
True. And never underestimate the economic power of women. The Kardashians pretty much kick the ass of any pro athletes in earnings.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2023, 09:56:40 AM »
I am well aware of Dunne and the Cavinder twins. As I said:

which is not the same as:

You’re arguing with people that don’t understand or want to understand NIL
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2023, 10:58:36 AM »
You’re arguing with people that don’t understand or want to understand NIL

How is that? These ladies are earning big money off their Name, Image and Likeness while they compete in their respective sports.

NIL is still in its infancy. We just might have thousands or more millionaires in the future and not just Quarterbacks.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2023, 11:06:01 AM »
How is that? These ladies are earning big money off their Name, Image and Likeness while they compete in their respective sports.

NIL is still in its infancy. We just might have thousands or more millionaires in the future and not just Quarterbacks.

It's pretty condescending to think that they only reason she has all these followers is because she is pretty.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2023, 01:48:09 PM »

It's pretty condescending to think that they only reason she has all these followers is because she is pretty.

It is not the only reason, but it is a big reason. How is it condescending for a woman to feel good about her looks especially a young college athlete.

https://people.com/sports/angel-reese-makes-sports-illustrateds-swimsuit-edition-debut/

I just think the women will do better in the NIL world then the men. Just my condescending opinion.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 02:21:05 PM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »

I just think the women will do better in the NIL world then the men. Just my condescending opinion.

Then why are the vast majority of the highest earning college athletes male? Is it going to shift in favor of women in the future?
TAMU

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2023, 04:16:55 PM »

I think it just goes to show a fundamental misunderstanding of social media and what it takes to be successful/profitable in doing social media.  Is a large element of their success because they are attractive?  Sure.   Are they less athletically "successful" or majorly touted than some of the higher earning major sport male athletes?  Probably.

But guess what, there are HUNDREDS of very attractive female athletes on social media in the NIL age who aren't making much of anything, or just small deals from start up or local brands.  You see them pop up on IG or Tik Tok all the time.  If its just "being pretty", then they should be killing it too, but they are not...

The NIL superstars like the Cavinders or Dunne are REALLY damn good at marketing themselves and their brand and get compensated accordingly.  This is not meant at a dig at the Cavinders, but they are not supermodel attractive nor would you have trouble watching a number of WBB games and finding other female ballers who are as attractive, or even more so, to the average teen/young 20s male.  But they aren't near household names in the space like the Cavinders are.  Cause they aren't savvy and exceptional at "the NIL game" like they are.  Same with any number of Tik Tok famous influencers.

Semi-related, I attended a big jewelry event in Jakarta for a client.  A bunch of media and social media types were brought in for various reasons.  There was a group of 3 20-something Indonesian girls at the event who were good friends with the director of marketing for my client.  The Director mentioned that one of them was a major influencer in makeup, jewelry, and "glam" in Indonesia.  All 3 were attractive, but one in particular was radiant and eye catching, magnetic in appearance if you will.  Another had really startling pretty eyes and had a bunch of coordinated jewelry pieces that was collectively amazing.  The third was pretty but unremarkable to any passer-by and tastefully but simply attired...guess which one was the mega influencer?  We got to chatting and she explained some of her approach and how she got her channels to blow up and how she maintained it.  It was like listening to a tech entrepreneur give a Ted Talk, it was fascinating.  Her 2 beautiful friends had about 30K followers combined on IG and joked that many of those were because they had been tagged with the influencer at times in the past.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2023, 05:02:00 PM »
I think it just goes to show a fundamental misunderstanding of social media and what it takes to be successful/profitable in doing social media.  Is a large element of their success because they are attractive?  Sure.   Are they less athletically "successful" or majorly touted than some of the higher earning major sport male athletes?  Probably.

But guess what, there are HUNDREDS of very attractive female athletes on social media in the NIL age who aren't making much of anything, or just small deals from start up or local brands.  You see them pop up on IG or Tik Tok all the time.  If its just "being pretty", then they should be killing it too, but they are not...

The NIL superstars like the Cavinders or Dunne are REALLY damn good at marketing themselves and their brand and get compensated accordingly.  This is not meant at a dig at the Cavinders, but they are not supermodel attractive nor would you have trouble watching a number of WBB games and finding other female ballers who are as attractive, or even more so, to the average teen/young 20s male.  But they aren't near household names in the space like the Cavinders are.  Cause they aren't savvy and exceptional at "the NIL game" like they are.  Same with any number of Tik Tok famous influencers.

Semi-related, I attended a big jewelry event in Jakarta for a client.  A bunch of media and social media types were brought in for various reasons.  There was a group of 3 20-something Indonesian girls at the event who were good friends with the director of marketing for my client.  The Director mentioned that one of them was a major influencer in makeup, jewelry, and "glam" in Indonesia.  All 3 were attractive, but one in particular was radiant and eye catching, magnetic in appearance if you will.  Another had really startling pretty eyes and had a bunch of coordinated jewelry pieces that was collectively amazing.  The third was pretty but unremarkable to any passer-by and tastefully but simply attired...guess which one was the mega influencer?  We got to chatting and she explained some of her approach and how she got her channels to blow up and how she maintained it.  It was like listening to a tech entrepreneur give a Ted Talk, it was fascinating.  Her 2 beautiful friends had about 30K followers combined on IG and joked that many of those were because they had been tagged with the influencer at times in the past.

As I said the NIL world is just in its infancy. Sure the male athlete will get compensated for on the field/court performance, but the female athlete will follow the Dunne/Cavinder approach. I am sure if they reached out to Ms. Dunne she would probably give them great advice. Some of those highly paid male college athletes are making the big bucks because of their family Brand, i.e. Bronny James.

The two Ladies earned their money.

https://1075thefan.com/playlist/top-20-college-athletes-with-the-highest-nil-valuations/item/1

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 05:04:39 PM by muwarrior69 »

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2023, 05:28:45 PM »
As I said the NIL world is just in its infancy. Sure the male athlete will get compensated for on the field/court performance, but the female athlete will follow the Dunne/Cavinder approach. I am sure if they reached out to Ms. Dunne she would probably give them great advice. Some of those highly paid male college athletes are making the big bucks because of their family Brand, i.e. Bronny James.

The two Ladies earned their money.

https://1075thefan.com/playlist/top-20-college-athletes-with-the-highest-nil-valuations/item/1

NIL is in its infancy but people earning money based on their social media followers is way more established.

I have mentioned this before but I have a friend who started as a wedding photographer and is now in her tenth year of a seven figure income based on her social media presence. She’s pretty plain looking but has a ton of followers, almost all of who are women, because she has been very open about her entire life in a compelling way. Mental health, building confidence, infertility, etc. 

She’s now written books, been on the Today show, etc almost all due to her social media savvy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2023, 05:38:27 AM »
NIL is in its infancy but people earning money based on their social media followers is way more established.

I have mentioned this before but I have a friend who started as a wedding photographer and is now in her tenth year of a seven figure income based on her social media presence. She’s pretty plain looking but has a ton of followers, almost all of who are women, because she has been very open about her entire life in a compelling way. Mental health, building confidence, infertility, etc. 

She’s now written books, been on the Today show, etc almost all due to her social media savvy.

...but your friend was not prohibited from monetizing her social media presence, college athletes were, until NIL. I am sure your friend started  with a web site advertising her wedding photography business which then branched out into social media presenting other opportunities. The savvy college athlete can now take advantage of that and right now for the female college athlete social media is where the action is. Not saying a plain looking woman can't strike NIL gold, but the pretty face and nice figure will sell, more often than not.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2023, 05:46:58 AM »
...but your friend was not prohibited from monetizing her social media presence, college athletes were, until NIL. I am sure your friend started  with a web site advertising her wedding photography business which then branched out into social media presenting other opportunities. The savvy college athlete can now take advantage of that and right now for the female college athlete social media is where the action is. Not saying a plain looking woman can't strike NIL gold, but the pretty face and nice figure will sell, more often than not.

You don’t get it. Wags is right. It’s about creating my content that generates interest and followers. And it’s those followers that are monetized.

Does having a cute face and a nice figure help? Sure. It always has. But it’s the content that drives the followers and that doesn’t necessarily correlate to their looks.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2023, 07:25:10 AM »
You don’t get it. Wags is right. It’s about creating my content that generates interest and followers. And it’s those followers that are monetized.

Does having a cute face and a nice figure help? Sure. It always has. But it’s the content that drives the followers and that doesn’t necessarily correlate to their looks.

...but for the most part having a cute face and a nice figure does.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2023, 07:29:19 AM »
...but for the most part having a cute face and a nice figure does.

Alright. You don't get it. Carry on.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2023, 07:47:17 AM »
Alright. You don't get it. Carry on.

Eh, he isn't wrong.  Statistically, better looking people are more successful.  It isn't the ONLY factor in success, but I don't think he was suggesting that.  But it is undeniably helpful.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2023, 07:50:34 AM »
Eh, he isn't wrong.  Statistically, better looking people are more successful.  It isn't the ONLY factor in success, but I don't think he was suggesting that.  But it is undeniably helpful.

Which I acknowledged.  But his original statement was "The highest "paid" college athletes are in the non-revenue sports like women's gymnastics or women's basketball. A pretty face and nice figure pays millions."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2023, 08:58:45 AM »
Which I acknowledged.  But his original statement was "The highest "paid" college athletes are in the non-revenue sports like women's gymnastics or women's basketball. A pretty face and nice figure pays millions."
Sultan, you seem to be a very smart and reasonable person. I do think in this case you are looking to far into the posts to find something offensive. JMHO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »
Sultan, you seem to be a very smart and reasonable person. I do think in this case you are looking to far into the posts to find something offensive. JMHO.

I think it's less about being "offensive" and more about being "factually inaccurate"
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2023, 09:58:44 AM »

Nope.

I think it's less about being "offensive" and more about being "factually inaccurate"

Yep.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2023, 10:01:15 AM »
Nope.

Yep.

And muwarriors doesn’t want NIL, so he keeps looking for ways to discredit it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2023, 10:12:04 AM »

It's offensive. And you don't have to look very far.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »

That’s where I’m at with it. I can see where it can be construed as offensive, but even if it truly was not meant to be or deemed to be, it’s still just incorrect and reductionist to a great flaw.  It’s like people who try to discount professional athletes with “oh well they are just super athletic” or “they are just really tall/strong” like there aren’t thousands of very athletic or genetically gifted people who didn’t cut it at the college level or even before. 

I remember arguing with an old roommate about Tebow not being able to cut it as a pro QB and he kept talking about “he just will outwork everyone” or “he just wants to SO MUCH MORE” like the vast majority of NFL players didn’t work hard or want it as bad as someone who was tremendously flawed otherwise 

feedback