collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[Today at 07:03:02 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:18:09 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts on Tipping?  (Read 8568 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Thoughts on Tipping?
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/food/joes-crab-shack-tests-no-tipping-model-132305833.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q_vivC7c_1k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q_vivC7c_1k</a>

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Thoughts on Tipping?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
I think it's going the way of the dodo. And it's probably a good thing.
Not too many other professions in which you're expected to do your job, and only after you've completed it does your customer decide how much (or whether) to pay you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/dining/danny-meyer-restaurants-no-tips.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:52:16 AM by Pakuni »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
I think it's going the way of the dodo. And it's probably a good thing.
Not too many other professions in which you're expected to do your job, and only after you've completed it does your customer decide how much (or whether) to pay you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/dining/danny-meyer-restaurants-no-tips.html?_r=0

I get it, but I travel extensively in Europe and generally the level I get in restaurants at various locations within Europe is significantly poorer than in the US.  There could be a cultural element as well, but I do think there is an aspect to the positive feedback for tipping.

Having said that, if there is a way to maintain the current service standard of restaurants and eliminate the need for tipping, I'd be all for it.

Note: didn't read the article yet so if this point is covered my apologizes
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
I get it, but I travel extensively in Europe and generally the level I get in restaurants at various locations within Europe is significantly poorer than in the US.  There could be a cultural element as well, but I do think there is an aspect to the positive feedback for tipping.

Having said that, if there is a way to maintain the current service standard of restaurants and eliminate the need for tipping, I'd be all for it.

Having spent many years in Japan I know that impeccable service is possible without tipping. Tipping is considered an insult in Japan. They have a very different paradigm about service, social interaction, interpersonal relationships, and human dignity.

Death on call

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Having spent many years in Japan I know that impeccable service is possible without tipping. Tipping is considered an insult in Japan. They have a very different paradigm about service, social interaction, interpersonal relationships, and human dignity.

Having waited tables for a year in Guam, I'm familiar with how Japanese view tipping.  Fortunately, I think most of their tour guides/books told them that I would not be insulted.  They knew they were "supposed" to tip me, but sometimes really didn't understand "how" to tip me.  It generally wasn't a problem, though, and they usually left me pretty standard tips.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Here's your tip:
Plant your crops early this year, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

I see what you're saying, but if tipping is necessary to maintain a level of service at restaurants, why not in every other service-related industry.
I don't get to decide how much (or whether) to pay my mechanic after he fixes my car and I've had some time to decide if it met my standards. If his work is subpar, I'll find another mechanic and/or make management aware of the poor service. If my service at Friday's is subpar, I'll go to Chili's*.

* = I don't really eat at Friday's or Chili's. I do, however, love Chotchkie's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
Having waited tables for a year in Guam, I'm familiar with how Japanese view tipping.  Fortunately, I think most of their tour guides/books told them that I would not be insulted.  They knew they were "supposed" to tip me, but sometimes really didn't understand "how" to tip me.  It generally wasn't a problem, though, and they usually left me pretty standard tips.

Hafa adai!

I used to fly into Andersen, if only to get out of the Misawa winters. The Chamorro food is great, especially the roast chicken and babui.

I first had Chamorro lechon or babui at Marquette. One of the RAs was Guamo Camacho who went on to become the Governor of Guam (I think his father was also a Governor, too.) We would dig a pit in the field between the old mansion and McCormick and roast a piglet all weekend.  Great stuff.

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »
Tipping is just yet another way corporations attempt to get out of compensating employees.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »

Agreed, that's why I referenced service as a functional component.  I wouldn't be opposed to trying here.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
I see what you're saying, but if tipping is necessary to maintain a level of service at restaurants, why not in every other service-related industry.
I don't get to decide how much (or whether) to pay my mechanic after he fixes my car and I've had some time to decide if it met my standards. If his work is subpar, I'll find another mechanic and/or make management aware of the poor service. If my service at Friday's is subpar, I'll go to Chili's*.

* = I don't really eat at Friday's or Chili's. I do, however, love Chotchkie's.

That's a very good point....and do you count their flair??

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
Hafa adai!

I used to fly into Andersen, if only to get out of the Misawa winters. The Chamorro food is great, especially the roast chicken and babui.

I first had Chamorro lechon or babui at Marquette. One of the RAs was Guamo Camacho who went on to become the Governor of Guam (I think his father was also a Governor, too.) We would dig a pit in the field between the old mansion and McCormick and roast a piglet all weekend.  Great stuff.

Hafa!

At the time I was at Marquette, we had more students from Guam than any non-west coast school.  Leo Flynn, the Dean of Admissions at the time, recruited heavily in Guam and made an annual recruiting trip.  That's how I ended up at Marquette; he visited my high school one day.

The Chamorro food (and the Filipino food) was incredible.  Red rice; kelaguen; roast chicken and pig; corn chowder; pancit; lumpia; etc.  The fiestas were wonderful.

Speaking of food-related customs and insults, we learned a couple in Guam.  First, as the only Haoles at many parties, we learned early that we were expected to go through the line first.  People would wait until we did.  We always found it awkward, and tried to be very gracious about accepting the hospitality shown us.  Second, we learned that taking a couple of fully-loaded paper plates home from a party was not optional.  It was a terrible insult to the hosts/cooks to not take the food home.  At the first private fiesta we went to, the boy who invited us came to us as we were preparing to leave and said, "You should make a couple of plates to take home."  We said, "Thank you, it's not necessary...thank you so much..."  He replied, "You don't understand.  You need to take a couple of plates home.  Otherwise, my grandmother will be insulted and think you did not like her food."  It was a local custom we were more than happy to oblige.

Guam has some interesting history with its governors.  The governor at the time we were there was indicted shortly before the election.  Just before he was scheduled to be hauled off to prison, he chained himself to a statue in the traffic circle in downtown Agana, draped himself in Guam's flag, set up a plaque that said, "I regret that I only have one life to give to my island" and put a bullet in his head.  Quite a dramatic exit.  His wife later became Lt. Governor and currently serves as Guam's representative in the house.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »
Tips added to a credit card bill are almost always taxed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:16:12 AM by Michael Kenyon »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
I worked for 20 years in the service industry and appreciate the value of tipping.

I'd love to see a minimum wage hike with a reduced emphasis on tipping, but as it is, if someone is working for $2/hr and I'm taking up a significant portion of their time, I'm willing to award them 20+% for their efforts.

It's not the servers fault that the system is broken

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Tipping is just yet another way corporations attempt to get out of compensating employees.

But of course if you eliminated tipping and hiked them up to the minimum wage or better, you would just have to increase the price of the food.

Most good bartenders LOVE tipping.  Especially when cash is involved.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »

But of course if you eliminated tipping and hiked them up to the minimum wage or better, you would just have to increase the price of the food.

Or take smaller margins. Granted, that may not work for every restaurant/bar. And yes, some might go out of business. But, free market, right?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »

This.

As a person who had done my share of waitressing in my pre-accountant days (my first gig was at Shoney's Big Boy), I can promise you that tips are the most untaxed form of income in the U.S.  Sure, you are supposed to declare it  all, but all servers and bartenders know that if you claim at least 8% of the check, the IRS basically leaves you alone.  So if you serve $500 worth of food and drinks on a given evening, your tips are coincidentally $41, at least as far as your IRS form 4070 is concerned.

Servers at busy, reasonably upscale restaurants can easily earn mid- to upper five figures a year. I can't imagine there are many places who are willing to pay that in wages for what is basically a low-skill job.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
Resevoir Dogs clip should be in here

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »
20% minimum everywhere. Far higher for great service.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:40 PM »
I can promise you that tips are the most untaxed form of income in the U.S. 

That's not what my dealer sez when I am picking up my brown...

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »
20% minimum everywhere. Far higher for great service.

My father-in-law prefers the standard 3%. Then I have to wait for him to leave so I can put a 10-spot on the table.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
My father-in-law prefers the standard 3%. Then I have to wait for him to leave so I can put a 10-spot on the table.

You father-in-law stories are priceless!

Death on call

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »
I don't care either way. We belong to a club that adds a 20% "service fee" to every order, and then the expectation is that no tips be given. Reality is, 75% of the time I end up putting additional cash on for the server as well. My point? It doesn't matter. Gonna cost me the same...more actually, as prices will go up to cover the additional money needed to pay the servers, and I will likely end up tipping good servers additional as well.

I guess I like the tipping model better because it give me more control. Also if you frequent Crain places regularly, tipping well can pay off in how you are treated.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »

I cannot think of an industry that is less dominated by corporations than bars and restaurants.   
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »

feedback