Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU?  (Read 5639 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU?
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2024, 03:33:51 PM »

If they are employees they aren’t held to academic standards anymore.

They really haven't been in decades anyways.

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU?
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2024, 04:44:20 PM »
I'm not the authority. Just a MU fan, posting on a fan site. But, I was not the only one making authoritative and definitive statements.

The point was, IMO, there a path for having non student players and, like with NIL and pay, the schools may not be making that decision. But a likely scenario could be that being a student is agreed to in a CBA. 

I didn't intend to say I know 100% that is happening.

OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1318WWells

• Starter
I'm not the authority. Just a MU fan, posting on a fan site. But, I was not the only one making authoritative and definitive statements.

The point was, IMO, there a path for having non student players and, like with NIL and pay, the schools may not be making that decision. But a likely scenario could be that being a student is agreed to in a CBA. 

I didn't intend to say I know 100% that is happening.

Agreed.

Plenty of people are making the argument that some players were getting paid all along, now  it’s just out in the open.

Well, there have been plenty of players that weren’t “students” all along. Why would it be surprising if some schools lobbied for that to just be out in the open now? That way they can’t get penalized.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Agreed.

Plenty of people are making the argument that some players were getting paid all along, now  it’s just out in the open.

Well, there have been plenty of players that weren’t “students” all along. Why would it be surprising if some schools lobbied for that to just be out in the open now? That way they can’t get penalized.

Make basketball or any sport for that matter, a major.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Make basketball or any sport for that matter, a major.   

Yeah, that's not really a thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Yeah, that's not really a thing.

I’m kidding but not kidding.  It is a trade like any other profession, I suppose. 

• All American
I’m kidding but not kidding.  It is a trade like any other profession, I suppose. 

I get it.  But practically, whenever a school begins a new academic program, it needs to be approved by an accrediting agency. No accrediting agency is going to accept a major in a sport however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
I get it.  But practically, whenever a school begins a new academic program, it needs to be approved by an accrediting agency. No accrediting agency is going to accept a major in a sport however.

Fair enough.  That closes that discussion point then.

WhiteTrash

• All American
That won't stop North Carolina.  ;D

forgetful

• All American

There are already accredited degrees at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral levels for "Sports studies." It would not be hard for them to get a degree accredited for "Basketball Studies" at all.

I guarantee you I could write up a degree plan and get it approved, it isn't that hard.

• All American
There are already accredited degrees at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral levels for "Sports studies." It would not be hard for them to get a degree accredited for "Basketball Studies" at all.

I guarantee you I could write up a degree plan and get it approved, it isn't that hard.

OK, you would know more than me. But it would need to be more than simply playing the sport right?

forgetful

• All American
OK, you would know more than me. But it would need to be more than simply playing the sport right?

Most definitely, it would follow a mold of Sports Studies/Sports Management/Sports Communication programs but with some basketball specific electives.

No university would make the major though, as it would cost more to create the extra classes for limited to no benefit, because other majors exist already that would suffice for the cause. Like this program at UT-Austin.

https://education.utexas.edu/academics/bachelors/physical-culture-sports/

In some of these "Sports Studies" type programs you see greater than 90% of the majors/students are athletes.

feedback