* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fraschilla Loves Buzz  (Read 5205 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Fraschilla Loves Buzz
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »
Several times tonight in the Louisville / Notre Dame game, Fran Fraschilla has commented on the job that Buzz is doing at Marquette.

He said Jim Boeheim is the National Coach of the Yearr, but Buzz Williams is Big East Coach of the Year.  I don't really see how you could win one and not the other but still nice to hear the love!

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Fraschilla Loves Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »
Several times tonight in the Louisville / Notre Dame game, Fran Fraschilla has commented on the job that Buzz is doing at Marquette.

He said Jim Boeheim is the National Coach of the Yearr, but Buzz Williams is Big East Coach of the Year.  I don't really see how you could win one and not the other but still nice to hear the love!

isn't big east coach a confrence play only thing and national is the entire season?

or
Because more people winning things means more impressive titles read off on espn. 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »

I think it's just his way of awarding two good coaches.  It's kind of like how a RB can win the Heisman for best player in college football but somehow not win the Doak Walker award for being the best RB...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
Fran loves Buzz, Marquette and Milwaukee in general. He was VERY close to becoming an assistant under Crean.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:30 AM »
SS Marquette

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
i say if we win 11 games in BE no question buzz is coy
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

robandlaurapetrie

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:59:36 AM »
i say if we win 11 games in BE no question buzz is coy

This is wishful thinking I am afraid. Buzz Williams has performed well but his team is not in the very highest levels of the game.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »
This is wishful thinking I am afraid. Buzz Williams has performed well but his team is not in the very highest levels of the game.

Best screen name on this board.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »

One and two point losses to WVU and Villanova (2x), and a 5 point loss at Syracuse.    5 straight conference wins, including taking down a top 10 team.  While conceding the DePaul and NCSU losses suck, I guess I would have to ask you to define what the highest level of the game is.    Take away two last second 20 footers and we are in the top 25. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:19 AM »
Best screen name on this board.
Problem is everyone knows where they live.  148 Bonnie Meadow Road, New Rochelle, NY. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:49:19 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
Problem is everyone knows where they live.  148 Bonnie Meadow Road, New Rochelle, NY. 

People are watching a little too much MeTV (including myself).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
I think it's just his way of awarding two good coaches.  It's kind of like how a RB can win the Heisman for best player in college football but somehow not win the Doak Walker award for being the best RB...
Exactly.  In 2003 TJ Ford won Big 12 Player of the Year out of Texas, but Hollis Price won the National Player of the Year out of Oklahoma (also in the Big 12).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24:05 AM »
happy to say that beyond the first 2-3 posts i have no clue about anything you guys are referring to.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
I think that we can all agree that Buzz is doing a great job when we are up close and following the program's every move.  However there are just too many reasons to bypass him for the award when you look at things nationally.
 For everyone that says to look at the close losses, someone can argue that those close losses represent his coaching failures this year on a team that couldn't finish and that essentially Buzz let his chances at COY slip away with those losses.
 Further, I kind of take it as a small compliment that he won't win.  I mean, if this were the resume at a tiny program (see St. Joes) then Buzz would be right there. But this kind of performance is becoming expected from MU.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »
One and two point losses to WVU and Villanova (2x), and a 5 point loss at Syracuse.    5 straight conference wins, including taking down a top 10 team.  While conceding the DePaul and NCSU losses suck, I guess I would have to ask you to define what the highest level of the game is.    Take away two last second 20 footers and we are in the top 25. 

You can't un-lose games by not counting those shots.  In the games you've got there, MU is 5-6.  A loss is a loss no matter if it's by 1 point to the #1 ranked team or by 10 points.  Yes, IF MU had won a couple of those close games, they would be ranked.  But they didn't, so they aren't ranked, and can't be counted among the "very highest levels of the game."  It doesn't lessen or cheapen the effort put out in some of those games, though.

Shorter me:  I don't feel that multiple close losses to highly-ranked teams and one nice upset allows for it to be claimed that MU is performing at the very highest levels of the game.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »

Shorter me:  I don't feel that multiple close losses to highly-ranked teams and one nice upset allows for it to be claimed that MU is performing at the very highest levels of the game.

Agreed, but you can't argue that they don't have the potential or talent to be performing at the highest levels.  That's what makes this team so scary.

Forget the record.  Forget the results.  Ask the question, "Can this team be competitive against the best teams in the country?"  (The answer is yes.)

I don't care about what they've done already, I care about what they can do the rest of the season.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Exactly.  In 2003 TJ Ford won Big 12 Player of the Year out of Texas, but Hollis Price won the National Player of the Year out of Oklahoma (also in the Big 12).

Actually, in 2003 Nick Collinson won Big 12 player of the year, but TJ Ford won the Naismath, Wooden, and several other player of the year awards, but your point still stands.

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/mbasketball/0910guide/0910MBBCompleteGuide.pdf

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fordtj01.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:29:36 PM »
Actually, in 2003 Nick Collinson won Big 12 player of the year, but TJ Ford won the Naismath, Wooden, and several other player of the year awards, but your point still stands.

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/mbasketball/0910guide/0910MBBCompleteGuide.pdf

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fordtj01.html
Hmm not sure why I thought it was Price and Ford, but yeah you're right.  Good catch.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
I don't care about what they've done already, I care about what they can do the rest of the season.

I feel in some ways we are where we were last year going into the final games of the season.  Last year those final games could have propelled us to a very high NCAA seeding and potentially a final four run.  We were facing the best of the BEast and we were about to find out if we belonged.  We all thought that team could play with and defeat the top teams, but of course we all know the rest of the story, DJ goes down and the rest is history.

This year, we all think we have potential, and "could" be a top 25 team as we almost beat some very very good teams earlier in the year.  Now the schedule is softer and if we are that team, we better take care of business down the stretch.  The stretch run both years is what will define the team.  Last year we had bad luck, this year we are not sure exactly what type of team we do have.  But we are about to find out.  We go 6-0, 5-1 down the stretch run and we were right, we are right at the top of the BEast where we should be and have matured to the point where another game against Villanova would likely have a different outcome...maybe even Syracuse.  We go 3-3, and well, not so much....

Let's go Warriors!

SERocks