[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJO or a Big?  (Read 7259 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
DJO or a Big?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
In the Jae Crowder thread, that discussion has devolved into what bigs were still available for MU to sign in the late signing period this year (and last year).  Obviously, many of us can obsess about wanting to sign a Big, but when you think about it - Where would this year's team be if Buzz signed a big last spring, instead of DJO?

From all data presented, 1 player put up good numbers (Derrick Williams - Arizona - averages 27 minutes, 15 points a game and 7 rebounds) the other 14 "bigs" signed in last year's spring signing period are averging approximately 13 minutes PT, 2.5 points per game and 2 rebounds per game.

Would we rather have a big like the above or DJO?  Are we over-reacting to the need for a "big," when Otule will be back next year, and all of our guards are major size upgrades over this year's team?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
Re: DJO or a Big?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
In the Jae Crowder thread, that discussion has devolved into what bigs were still available for MU to sign in the late signing period this year (and last year).  Obviously, many of us can obsess about wanting to sign a Big, but when you think about it - Where would this year's team be if Buzz signed a big last spring, instead of DJO?

From all data presented, 1 player put up good numbers (Derrick Williams - Arizona - averages 27 minutes, 15 points a game and 7 rebounds) the other 14 "bigs" signed in last year's spring signing period are averging approximately 13 minutes PT, 2.5 points per game and 2 rebounds per game.

Would we rather have a big like the above or DJO?  Are we over-reacting to the need for a "big," when Otule will be back next year, and all of our guards are major size upgrades over this year's team?

I do not believe Otule is a BE caliber center.

boyonthedock

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
there are like 5 big east quality centers in the entire big east.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Disagree as he was coming on when he had his last injury.  Buzz was planning to start Chris when he was hurt in November.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »

hmm... that's a funky argument.  Of course everyone would want a player that looks like a star in the making and the future.  How about this.  Would you rather have a Big or Fulce?  What about even a Big or Buycks?  I might want the big.

In college basketball, its very true that you play the best 5 players on your team.  If its 4 G's and a F, then that's what you play.  But I think everyone knows that to be truly elite (I am referring to maybe Kansas this year and the UConn's, Pitt's, and UNC's of last year) you need the ability to play a balanced attack on offense and defense.  I stress "ability" in that you don't necessarily have to play that way but if the other team dares you to play that way, you can and you still win.  

So, can we win with a small lineup dominated by guards?  Yes.  Will we be elite without a quality big?  No.  And I think that is what everyone wants.  MU to be an elite team.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »

There has been a lot of talk of Mo not being a BE caliber PG...and that seems to be working out!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »
Disagree as he was coming on when he had his last injury.  Buzz was planning to start Chris when he was hurt in November.
I do agree that Otule showed a TON of improvement at the beginning of this year.  In fact I think he played very well in the Open Scrimmage, competed well against some of the Bucks in open gym, (according to Rosiak blogs) and put up decent numbers in MU's first two games.  He may not ever qualify as an "elite" big man, but definitely think he can be serviceable, and evolve into an Ousmane Barro type player.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MU-007

• Walk-On
    • Marquette Warrior Shirts
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
DJO is the man. A big would be great to have, but right now I'd much rather have DJO and his 12 pts/game. If anything he needs to shoot more.
Marquette-Warriors.com - Marquette Warrior Shirts

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »

How would you have felt about Amal McCasskill or Aaron Gray at similar stages of their college careers?
Obviously I'm not saying that Otule will (or won't) become a player similar to those, but it's impressive that based upon his 85 minutes played you already can tell he won't develop over the next three years.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
How would you have felt about Amal McCasskill or Aaron Gray at similar stages of their college careers?
Obviously I'm not saying that Otule will (or won't) become a player similar to those, but it's impressive that based upon his 85 minutes played you already can tell he won't develop over the next three years.

McIlvaine was not very skilled at all as a frosh, but he made an impact purely b/c of his size. I'd say he turned out ok in the end.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
I wouldn't trade DJO for ANY other BEAST player.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
"I would not trade DJO for any other BEAST player"  i hope that is a joke... DJO is awesome, but there are many big east players i would rather have than DJO.  Wesley Johnson, scottie renolds, luke harangody, dominique jones, Jeremy Hazell just to name a few. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
"I would not trade DJO for any other BEAST player"  i hope that is a joke... DJO is awesome, but there are many big east players i would rather have than DJO.  Wesley Johnson, scottie renolds, luke harangody, dominique jones, Jeremy Hazell just to name a few. 

I got this Hards...

Johnson: NBA next year
Reynolds: Graduating
Harangody: Injured, graduating and overrated
Dominque Jones: NBA or Eurpoe next year, and I would still take DJO
Hazell: One year of eligibility, compared to DJO's 2, and he might test the NBA waters too, and I would still take DJO

Any more?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:10 AM »

All those guys may be better than DJO - OK, are better - but most, if not all, will be done playing college ball in a little more than a month. DJO should be around two more full seasons.
Certainly something to consider. I'm sure there still are some Big East underclassmen I'd seriously consider ahead of DJO, but if I had to choose today, I think I might take him above the names you mentioned.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
I got this Hards...

Hazell: One year of eligibility, compared to DJO's 2, and he might test the NBA waters too, and I would still take DJO

Any more?

Your kidding right... look at his stats dude.  No one is game planning DJO, if you don't game plan Gody, he will eat you alive. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Why would we have to trade DJO to get a big?  Those aren't the alternatives.  Last year we got DJO and a big, with Mbao.  And we'll already have DJO going into next year.

The debate should really be whether we would rather have a 6th guard (Newbill) or a 3rd big-man project (which we didn't get).

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
I got this Hards...

Any more?

Ebanks, Rosario, Monroe... just to name a couple more

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
Your kidding right... look at his stats dude.  No one is game planning DJO, if you don't game plan Gody, he will eat you alive. 

Nope, not kidding.  Stats are one thing, but IMHO excellent players elevate their teams, and I don't think 'Gody does this.  Teams allow him to get his, but that doesn't produce wins.  People look, oh my God, he is averaging 21 and 8, he must be awesome, and BE Player of the Year.  I disagree.  Do you know what his career NCAA tourney record is?  1-2.  And it will remain that because ND ain't going to the dance this year.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »

You are right, he did eat us alive last year.  And we won.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
Ebanks, Rosario, Monroe... just to name a couple more

Give you Rosario, he is in the discussion.

Monroe: NBA next year
Ebanks: NBA next year

This is my argument, DJO for the remainder of this season and the next 2 years, or these guys for next 6 weeks.  I take DJO for the next two years.

Edit: grammar

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
Nope, not kidding.  Stats are one thing, but IMHO excellent players elevate their teams, and I don't think 'Gody does this.  Teams allow him to get his, but that doesn't produce wins.  People look, oh my God, he is averaging 21 and 8, he must be awesome, and BE Player of the Year.  I disagree.  Do you know what his career NCAA tourney record is?  1-2.  And it will remain that because ND ain't going to the dance this year.

What's the three amigos record in the tourney?  While you don't think he elevates his team, they seem to have lost two straight without him.  And he is averaging 24 points and 10 boards a game.  That's pretty damn good.  No one is proclaiming he is a first rounder or even the best player in the country.  But to say he is overrated or that MU couldn't use him... I don't know what to say about that without being insulting.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »
Give you Rosario, he is in the discussion.

Monroe: NBA next year
Ebanks: NBA next year

This is my argument, DJO for the remainder of this season and the next 2 years, or these guys for next 6 weeks.  I take DJO for the next two years.

Edit: grammar

I don't think either will go... but that is where we can agree to disagree.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
Why would we have to trade DJO to get a big?  Those aren't the alternatives.  Last year we got DJO and a big, with Mbao.  And we'll already have DJO going into next year.

The debate should really be whether we would rather have a 6th guard (Newbill) or a 3rd big-man project (which we didn't get).
This is a good point, Mbao was a late signee -we'll see how he turns out.  My belief is that Buzz loved the way Mizzou played last year in the NCAA, and wants to have a lineup full of versatile players that can pass, dribble and shoot.  He will likely rotate his 6 guards in 8 minute interals, apply full court pressure all 40 minutes of the game.  I do think Newbill will turn out to be a very good player for MU - just basing it off of his coaches comments and the fact he plays in Philadelphia...got to be some good competition in that city.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
I think DJO can develop into a top 5 big east guard, but when it comes down to it, it is a conference dominated by big me with the exception of villanova.  I would trade DJO for luke harangody any day of the week.  We havent had a solid big man since 2003 with robert jackson and we went to the final four that year.  You need big men to win in the NCAA tournament and i would much rather have a dominant big man than a dominant guard.  

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
I can't see taking Rosario over DJO.  Quality over quantity any day of the week.

feedback