[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Harvard cancels mens soccer for sexism.  (Read 7846 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:50:10 AM by muwarrior69 »

tower912

• All American
Re: Harvard cancels mens soccer for sexism.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
Do stupid stuff, pay the price.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »
Do stupid stuff, pay the price.   

Remarkable that this kind of stuff is still going on, especially in the days of the internet where you can easily do this without a paper trail.

Don't know what is more dumb about this....that they were doing it or that they got caught doing it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
Remarkable that this kind of stuff is still going on, especially in the days of the internet where you can easily do this without a paper trail.

Don't know what is more dumb about this....that they were doing it or that they got caught doing it.

And then lied about it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »

And then lied about it.

Correct, so 3 very dumb things: Doing it, doing it in such a way it could be found, lying about it.

How'd they even get into Harvard (only somewhat tongue in cheek)?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »
Correct, so 3 very dumb things: Doing it, doing it in such a way it could be found, lying about it.

How'd they even get into Harvard (only somewhat tongue in cheek)?
[/color]

You read my mind.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
My God.

What has happened to my white America?

Can't grab women by the pu**y, can't make racist jokes, can't kick people out of the country over their religion.

I've had it. I'm movin' to Canada.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
My God.

Can't grab women by the pu**y, can't make racist jokes, can't kick people out of the country over their religion.

What % of American's hold ANY of the views that you just mockingly expressed?  Is it really high enough of a % to get so hot and bothered about it?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
What % of American's hold ANY of the views that you just mockingly expressed?  Is it really high enough of a % to get so hot and bothered about it?

I think your sarcasm sensor might need adjustment. 
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
My God.

If Miley Cyrus, Lena Dunham and Cher all split how can anyone even consider staying?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »
I think your sarcasm sensor might need adjustment.

I understood it was sarcasm, just interested in why that sarcastic response was even conjured.  Who is he attempting to mock?

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
I understood it was sarcasm, just interested in why that sarcastic response was even conjured.  Who is he attempting to mock?

You're quite the sensitive guy.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
Are we allowed to tell you who he is mocking or would that be talking politics?
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
I think it's the old saying "if you don't know who the stinky kid in your class is, it's probably you"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »

Kinda seems like he already was...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »

Higher than it should be
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »

Around 40%.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
You're quite the sensitive guy.

I simply point out the irrational amount of energy you put into exposing a small % of American thinking, and I'm the sensitive one?

Higher than it should be

True.  But is it high enough to even waste the energy on?

Around 40%.

lol
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:54:12 PM by g0lden3agle »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
What % of American's hold ANY of the views that you just mockingly expressed? 

I'll let you know Tuesday night.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »
I simply point out the irrational amount of energy you put into exposing a small % of American thinking, and I'm the sensitive one?

lol

I didn't mean to pick on you.

It was strictly a joke aimed at a former Scooper who shall go unnamed (just think little Hispanic girl).

He would have argued in about 30 posts how America is going down the tubes when we reprimand people just for denigrating women. Then he would have another dozen posts from women who say that they were not even offended as proof that the Pu##ies in charge are stifling free speech.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
It was strictly a joke aimed at a former Scooper who shall go unnamed (just think little Hispanic girl).

A lot of people think 'Scoop is a better place since the unnamed former Scooper was banned.  I won't disagree.

I also think that it would be a better place if people would stop aiming jokes at him.

It amazes me how people who couldn't stand him and complained endlessly about how he ruined every thread bring him up in so many threads.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:42:16 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
It amazes me how people who couldn't stand him and complained endlessly about how he ruined every thread bring him up in so many threads.

Agreed, feels like a line from the end of The Usual Suspects. "A rumor's not a rumor that doesn't die." As long as people keep talking about banned members, they never really leave.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
Agreed, feels like a line from the end of The Usual Suspects. "A rumor's not a rumor that doesn't die." As long as people keep talking about banned members, they never really leave.

I agree with you.

But it doesn't help when they're allowed back.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »

We already know that

A) The only people with this mindset are the intellectually feeble.

B) The only people who vote are the intellectually feeble.

and

C) Turnout for every general election over the last century has been around 50-60% of the voting age population.

So why wait for Tuesday?  The law of everything is correlated says the answer is 50-60%
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:42:16 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »
I didn't mean to pick on you.

He would have argued in about 30 posts how America is going down the tubes when we reprimand people just for denigrating women. Then he would have another dozen posts from women who say that they were not even offended as proof that the Pu##ies in charge are stifling free speech.

Knowing you were mocking only one person honestly does in fact change my opinion on the subject.

It bothers me when people make such a big deal about the people on the margins of either side of any debate as if their opinion is the majority when in fact they are a very loud, very select few. Which is what I was getting at with my comments.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »

Bingo.  Nailed it.

The viewpoints are prevalent enough in this country that one of the people who holds these views was elected to represent one of the two major parties in this country's presidential race.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 12:31:25 AM »
Knowing you were mocking only one person honestly does in fact change my opinion on the subject.

It bothers me when people make such a big deal about the people on the margins of either side of any debate as if their opinion is the majority when in fact they are a very loud, very select few. Which is what I was getting at with my comments.

I appreciate the response.

Sometimes my sarcasm masks what I am really trying to say.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »
This will end well.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
My God.

It's all that Rap Music they listen too.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
If Miley Cyrus, Lena Dunham and Cher all split how can anyone even consider staying?

if they and the others that are reporting the same, chit, i'm staying here
don't...don't don't don't don't

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »
Bingo.  Nailed it.

The viewpoints are prevalent enough in this country that one of the people who holds these views was elected to represent one of the two major parties in this country's presidential race.
nonsense.  most people don't think or talk like that but maybe won't vote for a walking price tag

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 05:11:47 PM »

A high enough effen percentage that they very well might elect the next effen president of the effen U.S.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »
I'll say it before the thread gets locked:  I don't think all the people voting for the racist are racists, and I don't think all the people voting for the criminal are criminals.  Face it, people, we have two absolute scumbags running for president.  Holding your nose and picking one doesn't make you a scumbag.

As a parent with two children who are old enough to vote in a presidential election for the first time, it is profoundly sad to me that these are the options we've given them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »
I'll say it before the thread gets locked:  I don't think all the people voting for the racist are racists, and I don't think all the people voting for the criminal are criminals.  Face it, people, we have two absolute scumbags running for president.  Holding your nose and picking one doesn't make you a scumbag.

As a parent with two children who are old enough to vote in a presidential election for the first time, it is profoundly sad to me that these are the options we've given them.

Been holding my nose for months and finally voted "none of the above" - had never even considered that in 50 years of casting ballots.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »

Your holding your nose and voting against someone (rather than voting for another) is exactly why your kids have these options in front of them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 04:15:10 AM »
i never realized how lucrative charities can be for so many people, except for those who it was meant for and really need it ?-(  then, the costs involved in getting some of these "charitable endeavors" to where they are needed.  please sir, may i have some more?  and then leave the place worse off than when they went in to "help" with many involved, laughing all the way to the caviar

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
i never realized how lucrative charities can be for so many people, except for those who it was meant for and really need it ?-(  then, the costs involved in getting some of these "charitable endeavors" to where they are needed.  please sir, may i have some more?  and then leave the place worse off than when they went in to "help" with many involved, laughing all the way to the caviar

You mean like Trump's "foundation", which, time and time again, is consistently found to be worse by watchdog groups? Oh Ok.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »

Yes. And it's not even close. But even if you don't agree, as long as it is a viewpoint, it is something that deserves to have energy spent on it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:09:44 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 10:54:56 AM »
Your holding your nose and voting against someone (rather than voting for another) is exactly why your kids have these options in front of them.

I disagree.  I don't think you can point to something that I am going to do next week -- along with many others, apparently -- and say that this future action is the cause of our present situation.  In my opinion, this situation we have in this current election (i.e., a choice between two awful candidates) is unprecedented.  I hope it's an anomaly.  I don't recall ever seeing an election for president with two utterly terrible candidates.  I personally think it's too early to say that all the practice of holding one's nose and voting for an awful candidate will result in similar candidates in the future.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Honestly -- and I'll grant that this may be naive of me -- it will not surprise me if one or both parties swing back the other direction in 2020 and nominate decent human beings.

If the future brings more presidential election cycles with similarly disgusting candidates, I may come around to agreeing with the point you made.  But I think it's too early to say that at this point.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
Nazis. 

{godwin's theory & in before the lock}

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
I think will have a one term President regardless of who wins. I really think the consensus is America wants a do-over and it will come in 2020.

Glad our soccer teams are not a-holes like Harvard.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:29:30 PM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I think will have a one term President regardless of who wins. I really think the consensus is America wants a do-over and it will come in 2020.

Glad our soccer teams are not a-holes like Harvard.

+1
TAMU

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
We have had this discussion on our board, too.  Generally speaking the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime, but it could be because details are not completely out there.

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/88391/Harvard-Mens-Soccer#.WB-TR_orKM8

If the men's basketball team or football team did the same thing, what would the punishment be?  Would there even be a punishment?  What about the women's soccer team?  Women rate men, too. 

Who is the racist and criminal in your example?  Both have said racist things.  Ask my community about 2008 and 2010 and what she said regarding Obama.  Her prior comments attacking our youth and generalizing of their behavior in the late 1990s, and early 2000's. Bernie called her out on it,  Super Predators that needed to be brought to heel.  It is out there, but the media isn't going to surface it for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtjjHq4mxzk   Both candidates have been accused of criminal wrong doing. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Who is the racist and criminal in your example?

Honestly, I don't think it matters much for the point I was trying to make: both are awful, and just because someone votes for one of them doesn't mean that person is awful too.

Relating to the point someone was trying to make in this thread (i.e., Trump supporters are simply hate-filled sexists and bigots), that thinking is one of the reasons this race isn't a total landslide. Trump has tapped into something much different than that, and the fact that Hillary doesn't seem to understand that is one reason she isn't running away with this thing. A lot of really good, decent people are voting for Trump. Just like a lot of really good, decent people are voting for Hillary. To simply demonize the other side does nothing to advance the cause and risks missing the point.

Edited to add: of course I realize some Trump supporters are hateful, bigoted asshats. I believe Hillary has her share too, they just hide it a lot better. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:35:07 PM by StillAWarrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
With regards to the soccer team, we all did stupid things in college. Even more so when surrounded by like-minded individuals like on an athletic team.

If we started demonizing every college student for things dumb like this, we'll run out of rocks.

Their biggest problem was doing it where it could be traced

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
With regards to the soccer team, we all did stupid things in college. Even more so when surrounded by like-minded individuals like on an athletic team.

If we started demonizing every college student for things dumb like this, we'll run out of rocks.

Their biggest problem was doing it where it could be traced

Their biggest problem was lying to school officials when they got caught.
Say it with me, "It's not the crime, it's the .... "

That said, this was a little more than stupid.
Getting really drunk and passing out at a party is stupid. Sleeping through an exam is stupid. Blowing off too many classes is stupid.
This was mean-spirited and demeaning.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »
Their biggest problem was lying to school officials when they got caught.
Say it with me, "It's not the crime, it's the .... "

That said, this was a little more than stupid.
Getting really drunk and passing out at a party is stupid. Sleeping through an exam is stupid. Blowing off too many classes is stupid.
This was mean-spirited and demeaning.

Agreed. Forgot about the lying.

So you never spoke with your buddies about how hot, or not, girls were in school? Same thing here, they just wrote it down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »
Agreed. Forgot about the lying.

So you never spoke with your buddies about how hot, or not, girls were in school? Same thing here, they just wrote it down.

1. I'd say what they wrote down went well beyond discussing how hot or not a girl was.
2. The fact they wrote it down and disseminated it is one of the reasons this was more than just "boys being boys." That's kind of the key element here. It wasn't just a group of college guys saying stupid things.
Maybe it was locker room talk?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
I disagree.  I don't think you can point to something that I am going to do next week -- along with many others, apparently -- and say that this future action is the cause of our present situation.  In my opinion, this situation we have in this current election (i.e., a choice between two awful candidates) is unprecedented.  I hope it's an anomaly.  I don't recall ever seeing an election for president with two utterly terrible candidates.  I personally think it's too early to say that all the practice of holding one's nose and voting for an awful candidate will result in similar candidates in the future.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Honestly -- and I'll grant that this may be naive of me -- it will not surprise me if one or both parties swing back the other direction in 2020 and nominate decent human beings.

If the future brings more presidential election cycles with similarly disgusting candidates, I may come around to agreeing with the point you made.  But I think it's too early to say that at this point.

You've failed to consider the fact that both major political parties are already well aware of the nearsightedness of the American voter... more and more people have been voting "against the other" candidate over the past view decades; this year is simply a continuation of the trend.

I don't know whose dumpster fire started first, but as soon as each saw the other side's flames, neither bothered to put out their own knowing full well they could play - and win on - the "vote against" card.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
now the cross country team is being accused of making spread sheets on female athletes, hypothetical sex positions and you know, important stuff like that...one would think being a haavud dude, they wouldn't need to write chit like that down.  rather,  put it into their vast memory banks just like, umm, calculus and the such

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/07/another-harvard-team-lewdly-rated-female-athletes-this-time-with-spreadsheets/

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
now the cross country team is being accused of making spread sheets on female athletes, hypothetical sex positions and you know, important stuff like that...one would think being a haavud dude, they wouldn't need to write chit like that down.  rather,  put it into their vast memory banks just like, umm, calculus and the such

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/07/another-harvard-team-lewdly-rated-female-athletes-this-time-with-spreadsheets/

Then Harvard University President Drew G. Faust told the Harvard Crimson that she started to ask: “Is this wider spread?”

Phrasing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:28 AM »

Well, regardless of what percentage of the population that voted for him agrees on his views of women, minorities, etc., those views are prevalent enough that America just elected a man who holds those views to lead their country.

Well done, America!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2016, 08:13:56 AM »
Well, regardless of what percentage of the population that voted for him agrees on his views of women, minorities, etc., those views are prevalent enough that America just elected a man who holds those views to lead their country.

Well done, America!

Do you hold the views of Hillary?  Or did you actually do the right thing yesterday by voting third party?

feedback