[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Do you go to work when you are sick cold/flu/fever?  (Read 7941 times)

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Do you go to work when you are sick cold/flu/fever?
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
CPS doesn't allow you to bank sick days anymore. My mom was saving up so she could retire a year early but that got shot down 2 years ago.

I had an AP US History teacher who banked so many sick days that she may have only worked 40 days combined in her last 2 years before retirement

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2016, 09:34:31 PM »
When I'm sick, most of the time it's that I'm sick of working!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
You can use accumulated PTO or vacation/sick.  Rarely does that add up, unless you are in civil service.  For example, teachers have been allowed under many contracts, to bank unused sick time.

The law allows your company to require you to burn any accumulated vacation time during your FMLA leave.  In other words, a company is well within its legal rights to say you can't take 12 weeks unpaid, and then take your two-week paid vacation later in the year.

And most places won't let you use sick time for FMLA if you aren't the one that actually gave birth.

On the crap thing, it depends on your company's culture.

I believe that is exactly what I said in my post.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Not to mention, FMLA doesn't apply if your company employs something like less than 40 or 50 FT employees, which has to be something like half of employers in this country.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
The law allows your company to require you to burn any accumulated vacation time during your FMLA leave.  In other words, a company is well within its legal rights to say you can't take 12 weeks unpaid, and then take your two-week paid vacation later in the year.

And most places won't let you use sick time for FMLA if you aren't the one that actually gave birth.

I believe that is exactly what I said in my post.

I think you mean disability pay instead of sick time.

Some states, like Wisconsin, have a law that make it the employee's choice if they burn vacation, etc. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
I think you mean disability pay instead of sick time.

Some states, like Wisconsin, have a law that make it the employee's choice if they burn vacation, etc.

I was specifically referring to FMLA, not any state law.

And I meant sick.  Most places won't let you use sick time for FMLA unless you personally have a medical issue.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
I had an AP US History teacher who banked so many sick days that she may have only worked 40 days combined in her last 2 years before retirement

Doesn't really seem fair to the kids trying to prepare for an AP exam. Would rather they just pay it out to her at retirement.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
You can use accumulated PTO or vacation/sick.  Rarely does that add up, unless you are in civil service.  For example, teachers have been allowed under many contracts, to bank unused sick time.

On the crap thing, it depends on your company's culture.

I can't build vacation to get to 12 weeks, as there is no carry over nor PTO nor sick days. Most I can get to is 4.5 weeks starting next year. So I'd have to take at least 7.5 weeks as unpaid time off which just wouldn't fly since bills have to be paid and such.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »
Quite frankly I think the Fins have it right.....the first year both parents should have some sort of mandatory paid time off. Not necessarily because I think a year off is a great idea but because after a year the physical parenting differences between men and women largely disappears (ie nursing). From a career standpoint that could go a long way toward balancing the inequality in the workplace between the genders. There is definitely a mommy penalty in the corporate world.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
I want to work where you do.

If as your name suggests you probably are already paying my company something (at least the parent company that is).  Parent company of mine is Exelon (owner of ComEd).  I work for different bus unit though.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
Quite frankly I think the Fins have it right.....the first year both parents should have some sort of mandatory paid time off. Not necessarily because I think a year off is a great idea but because after a year the physical parenting differences between men and women largely disappears (ie nursing). From a career standpoint that could go a long way toward balancing the inequality in the workplace between the genders. There is definitely a mommy penalty in the corporate world.

It's an employer penalty in Finland, apparently.  ;-)

I wonder how they stop companies from giving hiring preferences to folks that are beyond their childbearing years.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »
It's an employer penalty in Finland, apparently.  ;-)

I wonder how they stop companies from giving hiring preferences to folks that are beyond their childbearing years.

Very good question and I really don't know. Probably do it via data like every other bias check for EOA compliance. Not sure how they handle back fill for employees who are off but I could see a significant market for contract employees to cover people on leave.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »
But they don't have to pay you for it.  And depending on the culture of the company, you might get a lot of crap for taking it if you are a dad.

Yup! This was back in the late '90s. A co-worker of mine in IT took 3 months paternity leave. When he returned he did not get his job back as a new hire took his place. They gave him a position with all the same responsibilities, but he had to work in Europe every other month. Oh, and this company was rated one of the top 5 for working mothers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:59:05 PM by muwarrior69 »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
If as your name suggests you probably are already paying my company something (at least the parent company that is).  Parent company of mine is Exelon (owner of ComEd).  I work for different bus unit though.

Ha - I read your initial vacation schedule and said "s/he must work for a utility -- looks exactly like my vacation schedule when I worked for Xcel."  Trouble is, when you're there long enough to get to those upper reaches of vacation, you likely have too much work/responsibility to take it all.

I currently work for a smaller company with an "enlightened" owner where basically, we are all treated as professionals.  If you want to go on vacation, you go on vacation.  If you're sick, you go home.  We don't really count "days" but we keep track, and those who abuse it are shown the door (has happened twice so far).  Like many of you, I stay home when I'm sick but can also work while I'm home, unless I'm really sick.  I used to go in to the office sick all the time (had to save the sick leave for sick kiddos), but at my advanced age I have learned that I get better way faster if I stay home and rest.  I'll trade a day or two off for a three week cold any time!

I have a strict policy (personally) of not expecting my employees to work while on vacation, except in extreme emergency.  My boss, however, doesn't have the same policy (in fact, expects you to be available pretty much 24/7 in case he needs you).  As a result, I've resorted to taking vacations in places that are very difficult to reach,  although there are getting to be fewer and fewer of those places.  Overall, I think sick leave, vacation and other employee flex policies go a long way to create a happy and productive workforce.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:24:49 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
I never missed a day of high school. Always one of those people who trudged on even when sick.
That is a great work ethic and will serve you well.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
Ha - I read your initial vacation schedule and said "s/he must work for a utility -- looks exactly like my vacation schedule when I worked for Xcel."  Trouble is, when you're there long enough to get to those upper reaches of vacation, you likely have too much work/responsibility to take it all.

While I don't work for a utility itself (they are a company under the parent company for which we have very strict rules about not communicating) I think our vacation/leave policy is a function of those utility companies being part of the parent company.  As you mentioned though I am currently in my 11th year with the company.  I end up forfeiting several days each year and rollover the maximum because it becomes quite difficult to take them all.

My thought's on it are more along the lines of....We are salaried, if you have time and have worked ahead to take vacation then take it, why do we track it at all other than (and I agree about abusing it) to make sure it isn't being abused.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »
If i have court I can't really miss it.  If like i'm in the hospital that is one thing, but if i'm just sick i'll go conduct the hearing and then decide afterwards if it is best to go home or power through.
Fear makes you dumb.

feedback