[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Free Agency  (Read 7994 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
NBA Free Agency
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
I can't believe I'm typing this...

Noah, 4 years (!!!), $72 million (!!!), with fourth year fully (!!!) guaranteed.

I don't even know what to say. The Knicks were bidding against no one, I could maybe fathom someone giving him a 2 year deal at $30 maybe.

I know the cap is going up, but for a guy on one leg, that is an insane deal.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: NBA Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:14 AM »

Noah, 4 years (!!!), $72 million (!!!), with fourth year fully (!!!) guaranteed.

I don't even know what to say. The Knicks were bidding against no one, I could maybe fathom someone giving him a 2 year deal at $30 maybe.

Agreed.  As a Bulls fan I will always love Noah but even with the rising cap that's ludicrous.  Especially when you take into account his age, health, and the lack of offense that has reared its head over the past couple of years. 

The Bulls are going to stink but the Robin Lopez contract will turn out to be very reasonable, if not a bargain, when all is said and done. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:48:19 AM »
I wish I could wager right now on Noah getting amnestied before the end of that contract.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:49:41 AM »
That's a crazy ass contract for him. I remember exactly where I was when he was drafted, I was in New York, New York in Vegas and my dad and I saw the pick and flipped, thought it was the worst draft choice ever, I mutual have been 13 or 14.

Turned out to be a heck of a player for some time and always worked his butt off but it was time for him to go as well.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:31:41 AM »
Say what you want about Noah...

Timofey Mozgov will be earning more than Steph Curry now that he has a new contract offer with the Lakers!
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »

Knicks are desperate.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »
DeRozan getting $140M to stay in Toronto!

I may quit my job to put all my focus on making my sons basketball players  :o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
I wish I could wager right now on Noah getting amnestied before the end of that contract.

He won't get amnestied because he can't be.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q69

"Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 65) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

Amnesty can be used prior to the 2011-12 through 2015-16 seasons, although teams may use the provision only once in total -- not once per season. For the 2011-12 season the Amnesty provision was available from December 9-16, 2011. For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 104). The waiver period for amnestied players is 48 hours, the same as for all other waivers."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
Wow ... the Knicks must be Joakim!

Or ... maybe this is just a July 1 Joak.

Or ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

He won't get amnestied because he can't be.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q69

"Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 65) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

Amnesty can be used prior to the 2011-12 through 2015-16 seasons, although teams may use the provision only once in total -- not once per season. For the 2011-12 season the Amnesty provision was available from December 9-16, 2011. For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 104). The waiver period for amnestied players is 48 hours, the same as for all other waivers."

The new CBA forthcoming is going to reinstate the amnesty clause.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
The new CBA forthcoming is going to reinstate the amnesty clause.

Thank you.  Then yeah...I bet you are correct.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

Actually it is the most believable thing about the feeding frenzy.

The Knicks have a long,long history of signing over-the-hill players at greatly inflated prices. In fact, it is one of the big reasons they don't win.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »
Bucks foreplayin' wit Mr. IU shorts. And, adios O.J. and da horse yo rode in on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
Bucks foreplayin' wit Mr. IU shorts. And, adios O.J. and da horse yo rode in on, hey?

Stay hot Juice.

NBA player can't afford a $19K bill.  But hey, maybe he'll pay for his half brother's $40K tuition!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »
Kent Bazemore's agent requesting $19-20M per season. Hey, it can't hurt to ask, right? Just don't stay at that figure or Bazemore could end up playing for $300k in Turkey next season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »
Bucks actually spending money wisely?  What is this?

Now we'll go out and get Bazemore anyway and I'll eat my words.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Bucks actually spending money wisely?  What is this?

Now we'll go out and get Bazemore anyway and I'll eat my words.

Or we'll just sign Delly...

brandx

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
Kent Bazemore's agent requesting $19-20M per season. Hey, it can't hurt to ask, right? Just don't stay at that figure or Bazemore could end up playing for $300k in Turkey next season.

He's gonna get close to what he us asking. Noah got ?$17 mil and Bazemore is a more valuable commodity.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:15:35 PM by brandx »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Or we'll just sign Delly...

We will see how that goes. I understand the role they need him for but not sure he's the guy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »

We will see how that goes. I understand the role they need him for but not sure he's the guy.

Yup.  The only reason I'm okay with it is $9.5M/year isn't going to hurt us down the line and it keeps us from spending really stupid money on someone even less deserving.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
Yeah it isn't a killer deal. I read what's driving a lot of these deals is the salary floor that is set at 90% of the cap. And since you can only pay stars so much AND many players are already under contract AND the rookie salary scale, teams can throw money around this year because they pretty much have to.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »
5 yrs, $153 mil for Conley. Richest contract in NBA.

I'm just gonna show myself out now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »

In my opinion that's far from the worst contract that's been handed out in the last 18 and a half hours.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 06:28:07 PM »

Good lord.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
I realize this would never happen, but the one sport it "could" work would be the NBA (smallest roster size)...

Can you imagine if every year, NBA players had 1 year deals, and every summer, everyone was a free agent? You'd still have a salary cap (let's say $100 mil). I'd also have free agent tiers, so if you are 1st team all NBA, you get to sign first, followed by 2nd team, 3rd team. Then I'd tier off other people based on some performance formula. If abolish the draft, and after Tier 6 is done, rookies can agree to deals. I'd have total free market dollars, so if a team wants to offer LeBron $80 mil, go for it.

There's a million reasons this could never happen, but it'd be fascinating each summer.

feedback