collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Gordie Howe  (Read 7993 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: RIP Gordie Howe
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
My beef with Sultan is not about my opinion vs his opinion of GOAT everybody is entitled to their opinion.

My beef is that he said the entire event and memory I have of a wonderful moment with my Father never happened like he was there.  Somebody that disrespects another person's family is a mouth breather I would never do that to somebody i knew let alone somebody I didn't.
Sultan is a mouth breather who has no credibility on any issue in my book.

Fighting is an important and necessary part of the game. that's why there is The Code in hockey. without fighting in the game the enforcers would take out the finesse players with no repercussions

I never said anything about your memory. I was very clear about what I was responding to.

And fighting being a "necessary" part of the game of hockey is pretty much by definition a "mouth breather" opinion. Congrats.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:57:33 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »
Ernie Banks. GOAT

Sox suck. Right field too.

Discuss. 

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 11:02:37 PM »
I never said anything about your memory. I was very clear about what I was responding to.

And fighting being a "necessary" part of the game of hockey is pretty much by definition a "mouth breather" opinion. Congrats.

You clearly attacked the memory of myself and my father and by turn you attacked my family.

Furthermore you have never played hockey nor do you have any understanding for the sport, not that I expect you to have any understanding of anything.
Fear makes you dumb.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 11:28:06 PM »
You clearly attacked the memory of myself and my father and by turn you attacked my family.

Furthermore you have never played hockey nor do you have any understanding for the sport, not that I expect you to have any understanding of anything.

Have a cocktail and relax. It's much less serious than you believe it is

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 07:28:57 AM »

No I didn't.  Stop being a pathetic victim.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
RIP, Woodrow.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
In all my years on Scoop, I don't think I've ever seen someone flip out with that kind of speed and intensity.

Flipping out GOAT? Hard to say, but certainly flipping out Mt. Rushmore.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

Fighting is an important and necessary part of the game. that's why there is The Code in hockey. without fighting in the game the enforcers would take out the finesse players with no repercussions

And all credibility lost with this statement.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
Ali is not definitely the GOAT.  There are others you could make that argument for.  He lost 5 times, including probably the most important fight of his career (the first one with Joe Frazier) in his prime.  I'm not saying he isn't the GOAT, and he is certainly on the short list, but its not like it is not debatable.  Babe Ruth has a better case as baseball's GOAT than Ali does as boxing's, IMO.

Don't know enough about hockey to argue, but Gretzky played in an era where goal totals were inflated historically, so his numbers are inflated when comparing to others who might claim the title.  As you point out, his numbers are so far above the others it probably doesn't matter.

I think Jordan has an excellent case as the GOAT.  Hard to find another combination with his statistical dominance and championships.
GOAT is always a fun debate. I think the hardest thing is comparing across Eras. If you have actually seen guys play or watched full tapes like in boxing it is easier.

Ali was clearly not the GOAT in boxing.  Joe Louis , Sugar Ray Robinson , Jack Demsey etc where fantastic. Yes he is among the best though. Go watch the savagery of Joe Louis and then have the Muhammad Ali discussion.

Babe Ruth was great but so was Ty Cobb and so was Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays and so was Ken Griffey Jr. etc  Ruth may get nod because he was also the best pitcher of his day.

Jordan has a claim to GOAT but tell that to Bill Russell and Kareem or even Wilt.

As to hockey Gordie Howe played when there were only six teams in the NHL. The goalies were incredible in those days. That cannot be underestimated.  The level of competition was fierce. He was at the top of the game for years and years. He was an incredible physical specimen who did more than just score and was the complete focus when he was on the ice. A complete player and extremely intimidating even at age 52. Yes Gretzy was an all time great scorer, the best stick handler ever and not taking anything away from him. I think the case in Hockey was similar to the case in football. I look at Gordie Howe to Wayne Gretzky the same way as I look at Jim Brown to Barry Sanders both great but  with different styles in different eras. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
One boxer whose record goes under-appreciated in my opinion is Larry Holmes. Don't think he is GOAT, but should get more than a mention.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
ND sucks

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 07:44:45 PM »
And all credibility lost with this statement.
It's either like saying "bayoneting is part of war.  without it the infantry will run rough shot over us" or my mom who went to one NHL game where Kenny 'the rat' Linseman beat Tim Young's head into the ice (IIRC) "i'll never watch another game again...it's too brutal" - 40(ish) years later she still hasn't.

Our sports evolve to remove the brutality.  It's not a bad thing.

Gordie was awesome (probably the greatest of his time), Wayne is the greatest ever.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
RIP Gordie. So I guess that's the "celebrities die in threes" triumvirate completed. Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe, and...uhh...I guess Kimbo Slice.
Ali , Howe....and my Mom.

On May 10,  my Mom, age 85, passed in Scottsdale, AZ....coincidentally in the same hospital that Ali died in just a few weeks later.

I loved and admired all 3 of these.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 07:46:17 PM »
Ali , Howe....and my Mom.

On May 10,  my Mom, age 85, passed in Scottsdale, AZ....coincidentally in the same hospital that Ali died in just a few weeks later.

I loved and admired all 3 of these.

My sympathies, hou.

Whenever celebrities die, my reaction is: "I'm sorry they are gone, and I wish they were still alive and healthy, but their death doesn't 'matter' to me the way the deaths of my loved ones did."

I respected and enjoyed watching Ali, and I wish he weren't dead. I admired Howe, and I wish he were still alive and well.

I loved my parents and I miss them every day. Actually, several times a day.

Again, hou, my condolences.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson