[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Gordie Howe  (Read 7992 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
RIP Gordie Howe
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
I became a huge Whalers fan because of Gordie Howe.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-gordie-howe-dead-at-88-0611-20160610-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2

Hockey Legend Gordie Howe Dead At 88
By Paul Doyle•Contact Reporter

When he sauntered into Connecticut in the spring of 1977, Gordie Howe was 49 years old with 29 seasons in professional hockey behind him.

Mr. Hockey skated in Hartford with his young sons, turned 50 as a member of the Whalers, and was part of the region's cultural fabric as a bona fide celebrity. Howe, who passed away at age 88 on Friday, always considered his time in Hartford as an ideal way to cap his unique career.

"Hartford," Gordie would tell The Courant in 1980, "was the icing on our cake."

Howe suffered a serious stroke while visiting his daughter, Cathy Purnell, in Texas in October 2014. Media reports indicated at the time that he lost some function on his right side. The stroke followed what his family termed a difficult summer in which he has surgery on his spine.

But Howe made a stunning recovery after receiving stem cell treatment in Mexico. It was considered a last-ditch effort to prolong Howe's life and Mr. Hockey was soon visible in public.

"We knew that if we didn't do anything he would be dead within a couple of weeks because he would not want to live the way he was living," Murray Howe said about his father at the time.

Gordie Howe

ò

Tia Ann Chapman / Hartford Courant

But on Friday, the sports world lost a legend. And Hartford lost a piece of its sports history.

For a city starving for a sports identity in 1977, the arrival of the greatest player in the history of hockey was met a collective gasp. The New England Whalers were a struggling World Hockey Association franchise still carving out a niche in Central Connecticut when the Howes signed free agent contracts.

Suddenly, the Whalers were relevant.

"The New England Whalers improved their hockey fortunes immeasurably Monday morning when they signed Gordie, Mark, and Marty Howe to long-term, multi-year contracts that almost assures the City of Hartford a place in the National Hockey League when -- and if -- there's a pro hockey merger," The Courant's Tommy Hine reported May 24, 1977.

And indeed, the Whalers did land a spot in the NHL when leagues merged in 1979. Howe and his sons had been playing for the WHA Houston Aeros and he was viewed as a cornerstone to the merger, drawing interest from the San Diego Mariners and other WHA franchises.

The Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, and Detroit Red Wings -- Howe's former team -- were also bidding. But Howe and his wife Colleen, who negotiated the contract, forged an easy rapport with Whalers' head Howard Baldwin and the team secured the family with a 10-year contract.

Howe had retired in 1971, ending a 25-year NHL career in which he earned the reputation as the game's best all-round player. He was tough, he was skilled, and he was respected during a career in Detroit.

But two years later, he came out of retirement to play with his sons. He spent four years with Houston, winning two WHA titles.

When it appeared he would be either retiring or leaving after his four-year contract expired, Howe became the subject of trade rumors. WHA franchises, sensing the looming merger, were looking for marquee players. The Minnesota Fighting Saints came close to signing Bobby Orr and the Whalers chased Howe as the franchise attempted to create interest in Hartford and boost attendance before the merger.

But Howe shut down all trade talk, telling Houston's management he had never been traded before and he wasn't about to let it happen at age 48.

When the season ended and the Howes became free agents, Baldwin made an all-out push to bring the family to Connecticut.

"Once the negotiations started, he was relentless," Howe said after signing. "Hell, he wouldn't let us sleep."

The Howes were introduced at a press conference at the Hotel Sheraton's Mark Twain Room. The room was adorned with a green and white sign that said, "Hartford Welcomes The Howes."

Wrote Courant columnist Bill Lee: "Man and boy, I've worked in this city for more years that I like to count, but I've never seen a block busting press conference with the impact of the one the Whalers held at the Hotel Sheraton Monday afternoon."

Not only were the Whalers getting a Hall of Famer in Gordie, but 22-year-old Mark was viewed as future star, compared more than once to Orr. And Marty, a stay-at-home defensive defenseman, was viewed as a good player.

The buzz extended beyond the sports pages. Consider this May 27, 1977 editorial in The Courant: "In hockey lingo, a player who scores three goals in a single game has performed a hat trick. The same term could be applied to the hiring by the New England Whalers of three members of the Howe family."

A few weeks after the signing, The Courant's Colin McEnroe reported the Howes were purchasing a $225,000 home in Glastonbury. In October, Owen Canfield's lengthy profile included photos of the Howes at the their home -- Gordie lifting a box as the couple unpacked, Colleen and Gordie looking at memorabilia, the couple walking near their pool.

Hartford had a celebrity and he happened to be an aging hockey player.

"Harford was our crescendo," Colleen told The Courant's Jeff Jacobs in 2000.

In 1977-78, Gordie led the Whalers in goals (34) and points (96). And he turned 50 in March of that season, just a few months after the Civic Center roof collapsed.

The Whalers would lose to Bobby Hull and the Winnipeg Jets in the Avco Cup finals in 1978 and they played their home games in Springfield the next season. But the Civic Center was repaired and enlarged just as the Whalers were moving into the NHL.

Howe scored 15 goals and skated in 80 games for the Whalers in 1979-80, fulfilling his dream of playing with his sons in the NHL. By the time he retired in 1980, he 52 years old and was very much a fixture in Hartford.

In the fall of 1980, he opened a restaurant on New London Turnpike in Glastonbury. Gordie's Place's was just down the road from the Howe's Glastonbury home and he was frequently at the restaurant.

In 1981, Colleen sought the Republican nomination for the 1st Congressional seat. She lost to former Hartford mayor Ann Uccello in the primary, but her foray into politics attracted some heavy hitters. A fundraiser to pay off campaign debt brought Al Kaline and Wayne Gretzky to Gordie's Place, where they chatted with donors.

The restaurant closed in 1982. That same year, The Courant reported on a rift the family and the team, as the Gordie's role in the front office was unclear and Marty was relegated to the minor leagues. Mark, whose career nearly ended when he was severely cut in upper thigh December 1980, was traded to the Flyers after the 1981-82 season.

Gordie and Colleen eventually moved back to Michigan, although Marty kept a home in Glastonbury. Mark, a member of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, played 22 professional season, including five with the Whalers.

Colleen died in 2009, seven years after she was diagnosed with Pick's disease. Gordie has made occasional visits to Hartford in recent years -- he spoke to the Glastonbury High hockey team two years ago and was spotted at the mid-week AHL game at the XL Center in 2012, sitting with Mark, a Red Wings scout.

In 2011, the family was honored by the Connecticut Whale -- then run by Baldwin -- as a banner saluting them as "Hockey's First Family" was raised to the rafters. Gordie signed autographs and met fans that night night.

"Hartford was very important for our family," Marty told The Courant.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: RIP Gordie Howe
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
Whatever word there is beyond "legend", Howe defines it. His passing will go mostly unnoticed in this country except for regional pockets due to hockey being a second tier sport and Ali being buried today but Howe changed the game in his nearly half century playing career and it was no small task to do so.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
When I was a teenager in Detroit my dad scored 2 tickets to Gordie's one-game with the Vipers.  Mind you this was 1997 and Gordie was 70 years old. He skated one shift.  The way I remember it he had shock white hair and too much padding but the man could still skate.  He was given an extended shift (i believe he was on the ice for 1 minute 20).  I probably remember it more how I want to, than how it actually was.  But it was awesome. RIP Gordie GOAT
Fear makes you dumb.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
Gordie Howe is clearly on the Mt. Rushmore of the NHL and was arguably among the top athletes of the 20th Century. When you consider how good he was, for how long, in a very physically demanding sport.

My most vivid memory is actually of him doing perfect Swan dives off the high dive at a local pool in the Detroit Area in the 70s.

I feel lucky to have been able to watch him play.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
When I was a teenager in Detroit my dad scored 2 tickets to Gordie's one-game with the Vipers.  Mind you this was 1997 and Gordie was 70 years old. He skated one shift.  The way I remember it he had shock white hair and too much padding but the man could still skate.  He was given an extended shift (i believe he was on the ice for 1 minute 20).  I probably remember it more how I want to, than how it actually was.  But it was awesome. RIP Gordie GOAT

No.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
Just because Gordie passed away and Gretzky didn't, it doesn't mean Gordie was GOAT.

Gordie was great enough that nobody needs to try to make him even more special that he was.

Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Messier, Hull, Howe, maybe a handful more are in the upper echelon of all-time greats. To state that Howe was better than Gretzky by any measure is unnecessary. And wrong.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
RIP Gordie. So I guess that's the "celebrities die in threes" triumvirate completed. Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe, and...uhh...I guess Kimbo Slice.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »
Just because Gordie passed away and Gretzky didn't, it doesn't mean Gordie was GOAT.

Gordie was great enough that nobody needs to try to make him even more special that he was.

Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Messier, Hull, Howe, maybe a handful more are in the upper echelon of all-time greats. To state that Howe was better than Gretzky by any measure is unnecessary. And wrong.

Begs an interesting discussion: if your G.O.A.T. says that his G.O.A.T. was Howe, who owns the crown of G.O.A.T.?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
Begs an interesting discussion: if your G.O.A.T. says that his G.O.A.T. was Howe, who owns the crown of G.O.A.T.?

The guy whose number is retired across the entire league. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/history/leaders

I mean, that is f*cking insane.

And he played in nearly 300 less games than Howe.  It can legitimately be argued that Gretzky was the most dominant player in any professional sport period.  Probably the only other guy who can make that claim is Babe Ruth in his era.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »

And he played in nearly 300 less games than Howe.  It can legitimately be argued that Gretzky was the most dominant player in any professional sport period.  Probably the only other guy who can make that claim is Babe Ruth in his era.

NO
Fear makes you dumb.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
No.

NO??? so i never saw the detroit vipers play with my dad? wow you have lost all credibility in anything you post from here to... IMHO
Fear makes you dumb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
I highlighted the GOAT comment.  He wasn't. 

No need to exaggerate.  Great player.  One of the best of all time.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »

No
Fear makes you dumb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
Well everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Too bad yours is ill-informed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »
This has been a tough year with deaths of A-name celebrities.  The public can't even finish mourning one, when another seems to pass.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »

wayne called Gordie the greatest of all time, wore #99 because he felt nobody could wear # 9. Gordie did things that Wayne admitted he couldn't do.  Played professional hockey for 6 decades. retired from the NHL, for 4 years then went on to win 2 more championships. Additionally, there is no Wayne Gretzky Hat Trick.

I'm not even sure why I am have to explain my opinion to you.

You no longer have any credibility with me.
Fear makes you dumb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
wayne called Gordie the greatest of all time, wore #99 because he felt nobody could wear # 9. Gordie did things that Wayne admitted he couldn't do.  Played professional hockey for 6 decades. retired from the NHL, for 4 years then went on to win 2 more championships. Additionally, there is no Wayne Gretzky Hat Trick.

Of course Wayne called him the Greatest of All Time.  Because he certainly won't call himself that.  Only one player has their numbered retired across the whole league - because he had over 1,000 more points in 300 less games than Howe.

I will try to sleep tonight.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Of course Wayne called him the Greatest of All Time.  Because he certainly won't call himself that.  Only one player has their numbered retired across the whole league - because he had over 1,000 more points in 300 less games than Howe.

I will try to sleep tonight.

might be the best sleep a mouth breather like yourself can get
Fear makes you dumb.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »
might be the best sleep a mouth breather like yourself can get

You celebrate the Gordie Howe hat trick like fighting in hockey is a good thing, then call Sultan a mouthbreather?

Intriguing.

Gretzky is the GOAT. Ali, Gretzky and Jordan are the only three that can claim that title, everyone else is debatable.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
You celebrate the Gordie Howe hat trick like fighting in hockey is a good thing, then call Sultan a mouthbreather?

Intriguing.

Gretzky is the GOAT. Ali, Gretzky and Jordan are the only three that can claim that title, everyone else is debatable.

Ali is not definitely the GOAT.  There are others you could make that argument for.  He lost 5 times, including probably the most important fight of his career (the first one with Joe Frazier) in his prime.  I'm not saying he isn't the GOAT, and he is certainly on the short list, but its not like it is not debatable.  Babe Ruth has a better case as baseball's GOAT than Ali does as boxing's, IMO.

Don't know enough about hockey to argue, but Gretzky played in an era where goal totals were inflated historically, so his numbers are inflated when comparing to others who might claim the title.  As you point out, his numbers are so far above the others it probably doesn't matter.

I think Jordan has an excellent case as the GOAT.  Hard to find another combination with his statistical dominance and championships.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »

If you know anything about Gretzky, you know how humble he was/is. There is absolutely no way he would ever say he was better than Howe (or probably several others).

(I mean, when Jordan was more than a year out of retirement and had clearly re-established himself as the best player in the world, he said something like: "I'm not even the best player on this team. It's still Scottie's team." Do you really think Jordan felt Scottie Pippen was the best player on that team -- or in history? Athletes are often falsely modest -- or in Gretzky's case, truly modest.)

If you want to use Gretzky's reverence for Howe as "proof" that Howe was better, that is your right. I firmly believe that the overwhelming majority of hockey observers, including Canadian writers who have been watching the sport closely for many decades, would rank Gretzky first, then Orr and then put Howe in with a handful of other greats like Messier, Lemieux and Hull.

As for those who say the league was different when Gretzky was in it ... yeah, in great part BECAUSE of Gretzky! He did things absolutely nobody else did, including those who played in the league at the same time.

From 1980-81 to 1986-87, Gretzky led the league in scoring each of the 7 seasons. He averaged 198 points per year. Take the second-leading scorer in the league each of those seasons and they combined to average 131 points. Which means that during those 7 seasons, Gretzky outscored the No. 2 scorer in the league by 51%.

Fifty-one freakin' percent!!!!

But as Ellenson's critics might say, those were all "easy" points -- second assists and the like, right? Well, no. Gretzky also led in goals during that span, with 9% more than the No. 2 goal-scorer.

So yes, they scored a lot in the NHL back then, but Gretzky was SOOOOOOO superior even to the other great scorers of his era. Oh, and there's more. The No. 2 and No. 3 scorers many of those years were fellow Oilers -- who got a huge percentage of their goals on assists from Gretzky and of their assists by setting up goals by Gretzky.

So much better than everybody in the history of his sport that I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

Oh, and I grew up in Connecticut and LOVED Gordie Howe. Saying he "only" is one of the 5 or 10 best players ever doesn't diminish his standing. He was a stud ... and we didn't even see him in his prime.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »
I've been to Gretzky's childhood home and where his parent's still live.  My wife and I have friends from Brantford, ON and they made sure to drive by the house with all the satellite dishes around so his parents wouldn't miss any of his games.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »
Ali is not definitely the GOAT.  There are others you could make that argument for.  He lost 5 times, including probably the most important fight of his career (the first one with Joe Frazier) in his prime.  I'm not saying he isn't the GOAT, and he is certainly on the short list, but its not like it is not debatable.  Babe Ruth has a better case as baseball's GOAT than Ali does as boxing's, IMO.

Don't know enough about hockey to argue, but Gretzky played in an era where goal totals were inflated historically, so his numbers are inflated when comparing to others who might claim the title.  As you point out, his numbers are so far above the others it probably doesn't matter.

I think Jordan has an excellent case as the GOAT.  Hard to find another combination with his statistical dominance and championships.

Honestly, don't know much about boxing, far before my time. Always just assumed he was GOAT.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »

Intriguing.

My beef with Sultan is not about my opinion vs his opinion of GOAT everybody is entitled to their opinion.

My beef is that he said the entire event and memory I have of a wonderful moment with my Father never happened like he was there.  Somebody that disrespects another person's family is a mouth breather I would never do that to somebody i knew let alone somebody I didn't.
Sultan is a mouth breather who has no credibility on any issue in my book.

Fighting is an important and necessary part of the game. that's why there is The Code in hockey. without fighting in the game the enforcers would take out the finesse players with no repercussions
Fear makes you dumb.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »

For the sake of argument, the reason it can be a discussion is because even with Gretzky's unbelievable offensive repertoire he was not nearly a complete player. Howe invented the combination of skill and tenacity, where most often he was the best in the game for two decades on both ends of the ice. It's the basis for his "Mr. Hockey" moniker.

For me, Mario Lemieux was the greatest player I ever watched in the rink. At his size, the deftness of his touch was unbelievable and if not stricken with the debilitating back injury (and, of course, the cancer) his numbers would have been astronomical.