[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Clearing The Way To Be MU's Next President?  (Read 8007 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Clearing The Way To Be MU's Next President?
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Jeff Joerres lives in Milwaukee, is a 1983 MU B-School grad, VERY involved with MU (BoT) and HIGHLY respected in the Milwaukee business community (heck, highly respected in any business community anywhere in the world).

I thought he would be an outstanding choice as the next President.  Now, after 15 years of running Manpower, he "suddenly" has some extra time on his hands.

He has the perfect skill set, fund raising prowess, ability to run a large organization and quiet political skills to make the BoT's "vision" happen.  The problem is he does not have a "terminal degree" (i.e., PHd or JD).  If he would take the job, could MU waive this requirement?  Do you see this as problematic?

If you want to follow him on Twitter https://twitter.com/ManpowerGroupJJ
He is one of the country's experts on employment and job trends, and frequently tweets about this.

--------------------------------------

US: Prising succeeds Joerres as ManpowerGroup CEO

http://www.recruiter.co.uk/news/2014/02/us-prising-succeeds-joerres-as-manpowergroup-ceo/

International staffing giant ManpowerGroup has announced the election of Jonas Prising as its new chief executive officer.

Prising succeeds current CEO Jeffrey Joerres, who will take up the role of executive chairman when Prising takes over the top job on 1 May.

Prising, who is currently ManpowerGroup president and executive vice president for the Americas and Southern Europe, also becomes a member of ManpowerGroup’s main board.

Joerres became ManpowerGroup's CEO in 1999 and was nominated to become chairman of the board in 2001. During his tenure ManpowerGroup grew from an $8bn (£4.87bn) temporary staffing company, operating in 50 countries with one brand, to a $20bn plus global provider of workforce solutions operating in 80 countries under three brands – Manpower, Experis and Right Management.

During his 15 years at ManpowerGroup, Prising has held a number of senior executive roles, including head of its European sales organisation, helping to build ManpowerGroup’s business in Italy, as well as leading its global Right Management and ManpowerGroup Solutions businesses.

Ed Zore, lead director of ManpowerGroup's board of directors, says: “The board appreciates Jeff's leadership in developing executive talent and managing a rigorous succession planning process. After careful consideration, the board strongly endorses and is confident that Prising is the right CEO to move the organisation forward and we are pleased to see ManpowerGroup continue its legacy of internal succession."

As executive chairman, Joerres will remain actively involved in the business with particular focus on clients and external relationships.

ManpowerGroup's Joerres: 'Don’t worry, I won’t be clipping coupons anytime soon'

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/02/12/joerres-dont-worry-i-wont-be.html?ana=twt&page=all

For 54-year-old Jeff Joerres, the current CEO of ManpowerGroup, the decision to step down as CEO required four years of careful thought as to whom would take over the company.

Jonas Prising will replace Joerres as the CEO of the company effective May 1. But Joerres, who will become the executive chairman, said that he would still take an active role in the company.

“Don’t worry, I won’t be clipping coupons anytime soon,” Joerres said.

For the past 15 years, Joerres has served as the CEO of ManpowerGroup. The third CEO in 65 years, his decision to step down as CEO was one born out of thought, strategy and purpose.

“I’m a true believer that my role in the company at this point in time is being the steward of the brand,” he said. “It’s been a great run.”

Joerres came to the board four years ago and they mapped out criteria they could use to judge how ready his successor would be to take over the company.

“We’ve had a lot of people leaving the company over the years to become CEOs of other companies,” Joerres said. “And I came to the board four years ago in a very process oriented way and asked them to think of three major criteria to determine the next successor of this company to determine who is ready, truly ready.”

In Joerres’ eyes, Prising fit the bill. He is talented. He’s delivered results and demonstrated the right behaviors the company values, including building communities and managing those communities in different roles.

Prising has led several of ManpowerGroup’s businesses of the past 15 years. He began his tenure with Manpower as the head of its European sales organization and then built its business in Italy, which now brings in $1 billion in revenue. He also served as the president and executive vice president of the Americas and southern Europe, and led the Right Management and ManpowerGroup Solutions businesses.

Joerres also needed to consider the timing of leaving the company. If he waited to retire in five years, his executive leadership team -- largely made up of people who are about the same age as he -- would have resulted in movement among this team and would be appointing people that would have potentially outstayed him. By appointing Prising to the job now, it gives Prising the opportunity to shape his own leadership team.

The upswing in the economy also played a key role in making the decision, Joerres said.

“We’ve gone through an extended period of time of having a better economy,” Joerres said. “I wanted Jonas to reap benefits of that.”

Joerres will take on the role of executive chairman of the company, where he’ll continue working – without getting in the way, of course – to foster the company’s key client relationships and talking to the media.

“I’ll be continuing my work with the Word Economic Forum, the European Union and Committee for Economic Development, a nonpartisan think tank that focuses on education,” he said.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Clearing The Way To Be MU's Next President?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Jeff Joerres lives in Milwaukee, is a 1983 MU B-School grad, VERY involved with MU (BoT) and HIGHLY respected in the Milwaukee business community (heck, highly respected in any business community anywhere in the world).

I thought he would be an outstanding choice as the next President.  Now, after 15 years of running Manpower, he "suddenly" has some extra time on his hands.

He has the perfect skill set, fund raising prowess, ability to run a large organization and quiet political skills to make the BoT's "vision" happen.  The problem is he does not have a "terminal degree" (i.e., PHd or JD).  If he would take the job, could MU waive this requirement?  Do you see this as problematic?

As for as not having a terminal degree, I would be fine with it.  It is a tradition based on having a President be a member of the faculty.  However colleges have moved away from that...especially smaller, private ones.  I think bringing in someone with his background would be fantastic, and its not like you could legitimately question Marquette's commitment to academics.

Here's the problem.  Not only does he not have a terminal degree, he doesn't even have a Master's Degree as far as I can tell.  The Presidential Search profile specifically calls for a terminal degree...I just don't think they are ready for that step.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
Personally I'd be ok with a President without a terminal degree, but I just don't think its gonna happen at MU anytime soon...

More ideally, would be someone with both academic experience and real world experience. They are rare, but it happens. A business leader who also has a PhD. Would be great to have someone with a foot in each world.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:54:22 AM »
No way does Marquette hire this guy for that role. Nothing against him but that is a mandatory credential for a University President. There is a significant difference in role, scope, and focus between serving on the BoT and providing daily guidance for a University.

Bill Gates once commented that as a college drop out he could never hope to run Harvard. But it was more than just his lack of requisite academic credentials. He is smart enough to know there is a marked difference between running a business and leading a University.

I trust that Marquette understands just how crucial this hire is. 

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »
welp, if Fr P can teach poetry while running the alma mater into the ground, why can't the manpower dude be takin EMBA classes in Straz during his first year?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »
No way does Marquette hire this guy for that role. Nothing against him but that is a mandatory credential for a University President. There is a significant difference in role, scope, and focus between serving on the BoT and providing daily guidance for a University.

Bill Gates once commented that as a college drop out he could never hope to run Harvard. But it was more than just his lack of requisite academic credentials. He is smart enough to know there is a marked difference between running a business and leading a University.

I trust that Marquette understands just how crucial this hire is.  

I understand the scholarship requirement but Joerres is not some Schmuck that has an office just off Plankington.  If the guy had a PhD, and I'm serious, he would get consideration to run Harvard or any other elite University if he was interested.  

Under his stewardship, he turned Manpower it into a $20 billion/year company with 31,000 employees in 80 countries.  It is the largest staffing company in the world.  If MU students care about getting a job after graduation, you would be hard pressed to find a guy more qualified anywhere in the world to lead a university in getting students ready and qualified for employment.  Joerres is so qualified in this area that he regularly visits the White House to talk the President and the Federal Reserve to talk to the Chairman.

He has everything you could possibly want.  Plus he graduated from MU, deeply loves the place and already lives in Milwaukee (no convincing him to move).  Problem is he never bother to get a terminal degree.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »
Blah, blah, blah, where does he stand on bringing back the Warrior name?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:41:53 AM »
I understand the scholarship requirement but Joerres is not some Schmuck that has an office just off Plankington.  If the guy had a PhD, and I'm serious, he would get consideration to run Harvard or any other elite University if he was interested.  

Under his stewardship, he turned Manpower it into a $20 billion/year company with 31,000 employees in 80 countries.  It is the largest staffing company in the world.  If MU students care about getting a job after graduation, you would be hard pressed to find a guy more qualified anywhere in the world to lead a university in getting students ready and qualified for employment.  Joerres is so qualified in this area that he regularly visits the White House to talk the President and the Federal Reserve to talk to the Chairman.

He has everything you could possibly want.  Plus he graduated from MU, deeply loves the place and already lives in Milwaukee (no convincing him to move).  Problem is he never bother to get a terminal degree.

I'm offended that his company is named Manpower.   Does he not care about women?  Is he that insensitive?  What about transgender temporary employees that work there? 

To be considered, he would have to lead change and put the name of his company as PeoplePower or PersonPower.

/sarc   (unfortunately, there are lunatics out there that will say this without the sarcasm).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
welp, if Fr P can teach poetry while running the alma mater into the ground, why can't the manpower dude be takin EMBA classes in Straz during his first year?

Or do online thru Keller, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »

I mean this question seriously, why should there be a difference?  I think some of the issues Marquette has are expressly because they can't recognize their diverse stakeholders and manage them appropriately.  I think if higher education providers were run more as a business we would see a lot more success out of them.  Plus I generally question status quo as a reflex.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
Blah, blah, blah, where does he stand on bringing back the Warrior name?

Don't know but he is in favor of Dwill getting more minutes than Dawson.

Does that mean he lost Ners vote?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »
I understand the scholarship requirement but Joerres is not some Schmuck that has an office just off Plankington.  If the guy had a PhD, and I'm serious, he would get consideration to run Harvard or any other elite University if he was interested. 

Under his stewardship, he turned Manpower it into a $20 billion/year company with 31,000 employees in 80 countries.  It is the largest staffing company in the world.  If MU students care about getting a job after graduation, you would be hard pressed to find a guy more qualified anywhere in the world to lead a university in getting students ready and qualified for employment.  Joerres is so qualified in this area that he regularly visits the White House to talk the President and the Federal Reserve to talk to the Chairman.

He has everything you could possibly want.  Plus he graduated from MU, deeply loves the place and already lives in Milwaukee (no convincing him to move).  Problem is he never bother to get a terminal degree.

I go back and forth on this.

But one thing you have to understand is that faculty can make life real difficult for a University president.  And at some places, the faculty are simply not going to respect someone without a terminal degree...hell at some places they aren't going to respect a guy who hasn't achieved the rank of full professor.  Now would this happen at Marquette?  Eh...I doubt it.  Marquette's faculty seems to be pretty reasonable.

And let's not pretend that there aren't good candidates out there that don't have terminal degrees.  There are likely plenty of them.  The real question is are they fits for Marquette...are they Jesuits...that's what it's going to come down to.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
I'm offended that his company is named Manpower.   Does he not care about women?  Is he that insensitive?  What about transgender temporary employees that work there?  

To be considered, he would have to lead change and put the name of his company as PeoplePower or PersonPower.

/sarc   (unfortunately, there are lunatics out there that will say this without the sarcasm).

Cool, thanks for hijacking this thread and making it into some political issue that you wish to rail about, that has absolutely nothing to do with Marquette or the Presidential search.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »

I go back and forth on this.

But one thing you have to understand is that faculty can make life real difficult for a University president.  And at some places, the faculty are simply not going to respect someone without a terminal degree...hell at some places they aren't going to respect a guy who hasn't achieved the rank of full professor.  Now would this happen at Marquette?  Eh...I doubt it.  Marquette's faculty seems to be pretty reasonable.

And let's not pretend that there aren't good candidates out there that don't have terminal degrees.  There are likely plenty of them.  The real question is are they fits for Marquette...are they Jesuits...that's what it's going to come down to.

Yes but this is MU!  As I tell family members that graduated from UW ...

"What is the difference between MU and Madison?"

Answer:  You don't have to graduate from MU to be Governor, just attending is good enough!

A MU undergrad degree is a terminal degree!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Cool, thanks for hijacking this thread and making it into some political issue that you wish to rail about, that has absolutely nothing to do with Marquette or the Presidential search.

We have to be more inclusive.  Good thing his company isn't in Seattle, they might not even recognize its existence...certainly not if the employees brought a brown bag to work for lunch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

No kidding.  This is what Chico's does.  He simply craves the attention this gives him because he wants to make (yet another) political point on a forum where he knows it isn't allowed.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
Sometimes a joke is just a joke..
Feel like I am back in a John Pick literature class where there are 4 levels  to every line.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
he would get consideration to run Harvard

Uh, no. He wouldn't.

I am taking nothing away from this guy but you cannot compare running a staffing cum business services enterprise to leading an Ivy. There are certain...intangibles...that are mandatory in a resume which he in all likelihood simply lacks, beyond not having a terminal degree. 

Harvard would never consider Dr. Bill Gates or Dr. Jack Welch to serve as its President either. Each has a unique personality that is tailored for running their respective corporations (which have markedly different cultures); but those personalities would be venomous at an Ivy.

Bill Gates embraced the Hegelian Dialectic process of decision-making but once he made up his mind he expected absolute adherence to policy. He was famous for firing people on the spot at MS. I can just picture him storming into the office of Jose Gomez-Ibanez, Henry Kissinger, Larry Summers, or William Clark and telling them they are through.   

Jack Welch was masterful at managing GE shareholders but that is markedly different than managing alumni, who are just as accomplished in their own ways. And managing staff at GE is far easier than in a university. The corporation is a Darwinian hierarchy while the university is a confederation of ecosystems. What works at GE won't at Harvard.

So as regards Marquette, Joerres must have done a magnificent job driving shareholder value at Manpower but that is hardly a qualification for leading a second-tier private parochial Midwestern University with national ambitions. I think that Marquette knows what it must have - an accomplished academician with administrative experience who happens to be RC.

Once we get away from the silliness of teaching poetry classes at the tactical level rather than leading at the strategic we can see how Scott Pilarz failed in so many ways. The fact that several of his direct reports were in open combat with key staff is unforgiveable. His inability to raise funds, the lifeblood of any non-profit institution, was distasteful to him. And so too must it have been to his Athletic Director who oversaw a significant decrease in donations.

One of Jack Welch's greatest gifts is his ability to connect with people as individuals. When he came through Tokyo or Hong Kong he always made a point to ask how my wife (by name!) and kids were doing and if there was anything he could do here is a card with my direct line. Hell, he even mentioned that she was a Microsoftie. Fact is, he was briefed immediately before meeting on everyone's family details so he could use that ammo to inspire. I know he would not recall the names that evening but the fact he invested effort in such a small yet significant personal detail was telling. Compare that with Larry Williams who could not even pronounce the last names of key clients.

This hire by Marquette is crucial. It is my fervent hope they make the best possible decision if Marquette is to remain a leader in the Jesuit tradition. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
Uh, no. He wouldn't.

I am taking nothing away from this guy but you cannot compare running a staffing cum business services enterprise to leading an Ivy. There are certain...intangibles...that are mandatory in a resume which he in all likelihood simply lacks, beyond not having a terminal degree. 

Harvard would never consider Dr. Bill Gates or Dr. Jack Welch to serve as its President either. Each has a unique personality that is tailored for running their respective corporations (which have markedly different cultures); but those personalities would be venomous at an Ivy.

Bill Gates embraced the Hegelian Dialectic process of decision-making but once he made up his mind he expected absolute adherence to policy. He was famous for firing people on the spot at MS. I can just picture him storming into the office of Jose Gomez-Ibanez, Henry Kissinger, Larry Summers, or William Clark and telling them they are through.   

Jack Welch was masterful at managing GE shareholders but that is markedly different than managing alumni, who are just as accomplished in their own ways. And managing staff at GE is far easier than in a university. The corporation is a Darwinian hierarchy while the university is a confederation of ecosystems. What works at GE won't at Harvard.

So as regards Marquette, Joerres must have done a magnificent job driving shareholder value at Manpower but that is hardly a qualification for leading a second-tier private parochial Midwestern University with national ambitions. I think that Marquette knows what it must have - an accomplished academician with administrative experience who happens to be RC.

Once we get away from the silliness of teaching poetry classes at the tactical level rather than leading at the strategic we can see how Scott Pilarz failed in so many ways. The fact that several of his direct reports were in open combat with key staff is unforgiveable. His inability to raise funds, the lifeblood of any non-profit institution, was distasteful to him. And so too must it have been to his Athletic Director who oversaw a significant decrease in donations.

One of Jack Welch's greatest gifts is his ability to connect with people as individuals. When he came through Tokyo or Hong Kong he always made a point to ask how my wife (by name!) and kids were doing and if there was anything he could do here is a card with my direct line. Hell, he even mentioned that she was a Microsoftie. Fact is, he was briefed immediately before meeting on everyone's family details so he could use that ammo to inspire. I know he would not recall the names that evening but the fact he invested effort in such a small yet significant personal detail was telling. Compare that with Larry Williams who could not even pronounce the last names of key clients.

This hire by Marquette is crucial. It is my fervent hope they make the best possible decision if Marquette is to remain a leader in the Jesuit tradition. 

This is very well stated.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »

Honestly, why is this so important? I know Marquette is Jesuit affiliated but I dont want to say MU is leaving those Jesuit traditions but it is not as big of a focal point as it once was. Times are changing whether you like it or not and the current landscape of MU is completely different then when you were here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Honestly, why is this so important? I know Marquette is Jesuit affiliated but I dont want to say MU is leaving those Jesuit traditions but it is not as big of a focal point as it once was. Times are changing whether you like it or not and the current landscape of MU is completely different then when you were here.

keefe can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he means literally a Jesuit priest.  But a leader "in the Jesuit tradition," which could mean a lay person who is dedicated to cura personalis, caring for the whole person, academic rigor, a strong ethical base, etc.  Philosophies and standards that MU and other Jesuit schools have traditionally stood for.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

Every enterprise has a Raison d'être. Marquette's is its Jesuit Tradition. The Society's mission is not just cultivating the intellectual and ethical strengths of the individual but in ensuring these are fully integrated so that one can achieve both scholastic and moral excellence which is best articulated through service.

Marquette's commitment to this mission is why I chose to matriculate there. And those values are ones I try to apply in my daily life. If Marquette does not remain true to this mission then it really has no place in the buffet line of higher education.

You are young but I have to ask: Why did you choose Marquette if not for its commitment to Jesuit Values?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »

keefe can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he means literally a Jesuit priest.  But a leader "in the Jesuit tradition," which could mean a lay person who is dedicated to cura personalis, caring for the whole person, academic rigor, a strong ethical base, etc.  Philosophies and standards that MU and other Jesuit schools have traditionally stood for.

Sultan

Correct. I don't think a Roman Collar should be mandatory but a commitment to Jesuit Values is non-negotiable.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
Sometimes a joke is just a joke..
Feel like I am back in a John Pick literature class where there are 4 levels  to every line.

Was cool doe, when he wore the rubber chicken 'round his neck when studyin' "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
You are young but I have to ask: Why did you choose Marquette if not for its commitment to Jesuit Values?

Back in 2004, I was attracted to the bronze glow of our basketball coach.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
Uh, no. He wouldn't.

I was just reading an interview with Yale's new President.  They hired from within although it was kind of assumed 2 years when he was promoted from his then current position to basically be the number 2 person at the university.  It was assumed he was "in-training."  The "search committee" eventually named him. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
I was just reading an interview with Yale's new President.  They hired from within although it was kind of assumed 2 years when he was promoted from his then current position to basically be the number 2 person at the university.  It was assumed he was "in-training."  The "search committee" eventually named him. 

Nutmeg

What the hell is a "Yale?"

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

The short and really main reason, I got direct freshman admission into the Physical Therapy program.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
The short and really main reason, I got direct freshman admission into the Physical Therapy program.

Which is a great reason. But do take advantage of the Jesuit education. Remember that college should be much more than simply learning a trade.

Death on call

GOO

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
Ideally the new president will have a lot of university administrative experience and a terminal degree.  But, in the end it is about who can deliver what is needed, regardless of having obtained a certain degree.  

If we limit the search to only those with terminal degrees, it is a mistake.  Does Pope Francis have a terminal degree?  If he wanted to run some Catholic South American university (or MU) should he be told no, because he doesn't have the proper letters after his name?  Heck, if a degree is required, he doesn't even get considered!  Of course this is an extreme example, but relevant to the discussion, even if it is an absurd example.  

My brother's company used to require at least a bachelor's degree.  Not anymore.  Get the best people and don't limit the pool of prospects with some artificial requirements that have little relation to what you can actually do and who you are... it takes more time to screen applicants if you don't have some artificial qualifiers, but in the end, it is about getting the best people with the best fit.      

If there is a great candidate, a knock it out of the park candidate with Jesuit Values, a leader who succeeds and leads a good values based life, you don't pass this person by because they didn't spend enough time getting a doctorate.  

If that person is a lawyer, is a J.D. a terminal degree or is it a LL.M or more?  Or do they also need a Ph.D.?

If some professors don't respect a leader because he/she doesn't have a Ph.D. after his/her name, well, that says more about the lack of Jesuit Values and probably Catholic values of the professor.  It is after all, what you do (in a broad sense, but action and your action and values that matter), not some degree that matters.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:48:40 PM by GOO »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »

If that person is a lawyer, is a J.D. a terminal degree or is it a LL.M or more?  Or do they also need a Ph.D.?

A JD is considered a terminal degree.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
I'm offended that his company is named Manpower.   Does he not care about women?  Is he that insensitive?  What about transgender temporary employees that work there? 

/sarc   (unfortunately, there are lunatics out there that will say this without the sarcasm).

Good job building that strawman just in case you need it.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »

Great straight man set up. But I won't touch it. Lawyers are just too easy!

Death on call

GOO

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »

So, for those who say a terminal degree is required.  Is a J.D. enough of a degree to run MU?

If so, then why not an MBA?  There are a heck of a lot of great, great people and candidates with an MBA that would not be considered because it is not a terminal degree?

Makes little sense to me to require a certain degree, over what really matters!  Seems artificial to me!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:54:46 PM by GOO »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »

No kidding.  This is what Chico's does.  He simply craves the attention this gives him because he wants to make (yet another) political point on a forum where he knows it isn't allowed.

The sarcastic part of my post I could see playing out with the nutballs that like to go down that path, just as they have done in the past with MU Presidents on various issues.  After all we're talking about a position that is overtly political in its very nature, whether people want to admit it or not.  Whether it is gay marriage, abortion, Catholic dogma, FFP, etc, etc.  You can bet there will be people with this type of nominee (I assume he isn't a candidate) who would want to know how many women he had in positions of leadership, how many minorities, what kind of areas of "social blah blah" did his company participate in, what was his company's view on X,Y, Z, why is it called ManPower and not PeoplePower (you're kidding yourself if you don't think some won't ask this question), etc, etc.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ultimately I think the suggestion of this guy as a candidate is silly, but that's just my two cents. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
So, for those who say a terminal degree is required.  Is a J.D. enough of a degree to run MU?

If so, then why not an MBA?  There are a heck of a lot of great, great people and candidates with an MBA that would not be considered because it is not a terminal degree?

Makes little sense to me to require a certain degree, over what really matters!  Seems artificial to me!

You can get PhDs in business fields. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think you can't get a PhD in Law. Juris Doctor is as high as it goes.

Although you only need a bachelor's degree to get into each, an MBA is a master's degree. Masters degrees are not terminal. A JD is a doctorate.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:57:12 PM by Bleuteaux »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »

These are just words.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »

The sarcastic part of my post I could see playing out with the nutballs that like to go down that path, just as they have done in the past with MU Presidents on various issues.  After all we're talking about a position that is overtly political in its very nature, whether people want to admit it or not.  Whether it is gay marriage, abortion, Catholic dogma, FFP, etc, etc.  You can bet there will be people with this type of nominee (I assume he isn't a candidate) who would want to know how many women he had in positions of leadership, how many minorities, what kind of areas of "social blah blah" did his company participate in, what was his company's view on X,Y, Z, why is it called ManPower and not PeoplePower (you're kidding yourself if you don't think some won't ask this question), etc, etc.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ultimately I think the suggestion of this guy as a candidate is silly, but that's just my two cents. 

Looks like someone's still a little peeved about those binders.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
Good job building that strawman just in case you need it.

Strawman....in today's world of everyone having a cause, a grain of sand irritating their every sensibilities...please....its no strawman at all.  It's the world in which we live today.

Check your brown paper bag at the door. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
Leadership is a strange beast. We studied many models of leadership at the Air War College and it is always crucial to recognize mission first rather than resume.

George Patton was a stellar field general - the best ground commander in the US Army in WW II. He wanted overall command of Overlord, seeing it as his due for success in North Africa and Sicily and the natural career progression. But Ike knew that he was wrong for a role that required equal parts diplomat and warrior and held him in reserve until he was given command of the 3rd Army. In that position he excelled far beyond expectation. I believe he would have been a disaster in the job that was given to Omar Bradley.

Hap Arnold was the right man to guide the strategic development of the USAF. Under his stewardship beginning in WW II the Air Force developed the technological base and scientific orientation that dominates its culture to this day. Arnold would have been a terrible field commander - a role that Curt Lemay flourished in. Lemay was a brilliant field commander in both the ETO and the Pacific. His vision in both the tactical and strategic application of air power saved American lives, possibly millions. The Pacific War ended not with an invasion but through Air Power. The atomic bombings were the exclamation point on the 5th AF paragraph that destroyed Japan from within.

I could offer up other examples - Adm King vs Adm Halsey, etc... but the point is to begin with mission then select from the pedigrees that best deliver that mission. Running Manpower or a plumbing business is a different mission than leading a national University with a specific purpose.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

The sarcastic part of my post I could see playing out with the nutballs that like to go down that path, just as they have done in the past with MU Presidents on various issues.  After all we're talking about a position that is overtly political in its very nature, whether people want to admit it or not.  Whether it is gay marriage, abortion, Catholic dogma, FFP, etc, etc.  You can bet there will be people with this type of nominee (I assume he isn't a candidate) who would want to know how many women he had in positions of leadership, how many minorities, what kind of areas of "social blah blah" did his company participate in, what was his company's view on X,Y, Z, why is it called ManPower and not PeoplePower (you're kidding yourself if you don't think some won't ask this question), etc, etc.

I think you might be feeling a bit over-persecuted.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
So, for those who say a terminal degree is required.  Is a J.D. enough of a degree to run MU?

If so, then why not an MBA?  There are a heck of a lot of great, great people and candidates with an MBA that would not be considered because it is not a terminal degree?

Makes little sense to me to require a certain degree, over what really matters!  Seems artificial to me!

I'm not saying you're wrong.  MBA is a masters...and yes of course you can get a PhD in business fields.  JD means "Juris Doctor."

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »

I think you might be feeling a bit over-persecuted.

Ya think?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Check your brown paper bag at the door. 

In Seattle retails no longer give bags at check out. You must buy them. Or bring your own. This has given rise to people making multiple trips since they usually have just one or two reusables. Someone on our team calculated the increase environmental cost of people not aggregating shopping trips and breaking them into modules because of the bag law and it far outweighs the impact of saving paper which is a renewable resource.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
In Seattle retails no longer give bags at check out. You must buy them. Or bring your own. This has given rise to people making multiple trips since they usually have just one or two reusables. Someone on our team calculated the increase environmental cost of people not aggregating shopping trips and breaking them into modules because of the bag law and it far outweighs the impact of saving paper which is a renewable resource.

Never heard of no paper bag rule. But how do people only have 1 or 2 reusable bags? They hand that out like candy. I've thrown many away cause they're everywhere.

We have the plastic bag tax here in DC and so many people now bring their own to the grocery store and places like Target. Virginians complain about it all the time which is hilarious. If you freakout over 5 cents, maybe you don't deserve it in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:58:06 PM by Aughnanure »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »
Never heard of no paper bag rule. But how do people only have 1 or 2 reusable bags? They hand that out like candy. I've thrown many away cause they're everywhere.

We have the plastic bag tax here in DC and so many people now bring their own to the grocery store and places like Target. Virginians complain about it all the time which is hilarious. If you freakout over 5 cents, maybe you don't deserve it in the first place.

In Seattle you have to buy the reusables. They cost more than $10 each. I don't mind paying the dime for a paper bag but a lot of folks here won't. So when they hit Whole Foods or PCC they carefully measure their purchase by bag capacity then return the next day to purchase overflow. There is this shuffling game at the register as people get refunds for overflow. Madness.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
In Seattle you have to buy the reusables. They cost more than $10 each. I don't mind paying the dime for a paper bag but a lot of folks here won't. So when they hit Whole Foods or PCC they carefully measure their purchase by bag capacity then return the next day to purchase overflow. There is this shuffling game at the register as people get refunds for overflow. Madness.

Yeah, usually $5 here or something, but I swear I've ran into so many free ones all over the place. That's just odd.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »
Yeah, usually $5 here or something, but I swear I've ran into so many free ones all over the place. That's just odd.

This conversation sounds like the beginning of a Kramer/Newman style road trip to take reusable bags to Seattle.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
I swear it's mandated that they treat customers differently at Trader Joe's based on whether they bring their own bag.  Everytime I go there they're all gushing with happiness to ring up the hippies with their own bags, then me or some other dude comes and makes them use a paper bag and they practically ignore you.     

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »

Remember that MU adopted a new vision last May.  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38621.0

Now stop rolling your eyes because this matters.  They (the BoT) are trying to take the University in a new direction.  This is risky and if they fail, it can set the school back decades.

MU's new vision is to raise its profile is not shared by all.    It means a different type of student will enroll in MU if successful.  It means many of us here (who were accepted) might not have been accepted, or might not have picked MU to enroll in as it will be a different school.

Dr. Blackheart summarized the opposition to MU raising its profile here (75 range refers to US News ranking):

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38621.msg493629#msg493629

Fact: The largest demographic group of college aged kids will be Hispanic in a few years.  They are very Catholic, many of their parents will not have attended college, and yes, many are from Chicago.  And yes, Chicago/Illinois now represents a majority, for the first time, of MU's enrollment as it is.  And no, Milwaukee doesn't have the medical research campuses like Boston, nor is it the seat of power like DC. It is not a banking center.  It is a reality, not an inferiority complex.

Yes, MU can raise their standards.  They will be competing with many endowed schools for fewer students. Is MU willing to shrink enrollment to be like many of the speciality schools you mentioned?  I say no, which makes the whole vision commercially flawed.  MU is just fine in that 75 range.  Why?  Because that segment is bigger and more achievable and can be sustained for the long-term viable health of the university and is consistent with what Marquette has always been about.  Wild had it right, Pilarz doesn't.

Sultan of Serenity adds:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38621.msg493645#msg493645

When schools become substantially different than the institutions that their alumni remember them, it can oftentimes alienate them.   For instance, at a school I worked for prior to this one, our wealthiest alumnus wouldn't give much to us because he stated "that I wouldn't even be able to get into the school now."  It wasn't the school that took the chance on him...gave him the education that helped him to succeed...and took him places he never thought he would go.

And the BOT may or may not be the top donors to the school.  They may be a slice of those donors, but they are not all of them.

This is why it matters and this is why the new President hire is more important that than any other in our life-time.  The University is trying to do something different and risky, not maintain the status quo,

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:20:08 PM by Heisenberg »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »
I swear it's mandated that they treat customers differently at Trader Joe's based on whether they bring their own bag.  Everytime I go there they're all gushing with happiness to ring up the hippies with their own bags, then me or some other dude comes and makes them use a paper bag and they practically ignore you.     

I like Trader Joe's product mix but the staff can be brutally judgmental. They often measure the Social Consciousness of customers through the prism of dress or some other artificial barometer. A dude or dudette sporting dreads is greeted like a long lost friend while the guy in the Air Force flight suit has an offending stench.

I was there around Christmas to get a few things wearing an AF leather flight jacket. You would have thought I had on a diaper full of digested animal flesh. The irony is that we had been working 20 hour days to get a mercury scrubbing technology ready for install in Germany while this guy was manning a cash register in a retail store. While he had no idea who I was he felt smugly superior because I must be some blood-thirsty, baby-killing fascist.  

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »
This is why it matters and this is why the new President hire is more important that than any other in our life-time.  The University is trying to do something different and risky, not maintain the status quo

Well said, berg. This hire is crucial for many significant reasons.

Pilarz had a terribly naïve vision. The fact is that Marquette's core mission is to deliver the Jesuit values. Not to increase its standing in some arbitrary, artificial ranking construct.

Frankly, if the enterprise uses that yard stick to measure success then it has lost sight of its reason for being. Tightening admission standards for the sake of meeting a silly numerical target is meaningless. I believe that standardized test scores are useful as a general gauge of potential but I would always place greater weight on subjective criteria to include essays addressing questions relevant to the Jesuit values. Also, alumni interviews vetting candidates are more insightful than how a 17 year old performed on a multiple guess test.

I have mentioned here that my wife and I have both conducted interviews of applicants to two different Ivies. These institutions place considerable weight on these screening mechanisms. And I can affirm that these schools take the essays very seriously. At no time were alumni screeners told to recommend a certain % or any other fatuous standard.

If I look at the composition of classes at HBS the program assembles a genuine cross-section of the global community with a broad range of life experience and objectives. There are fighter pilots, entrepreneurs, Peace Corps volunteers. There are economically privileged and the less financially fortunate. White, Yellow, Black and Green. Red and Blue. Foreign and Domestic. The point is they assemble 800 people whose diversity educates in ways beyond the case study.

The best way for Marquette to raise its profile is to prepare its graduates for a life of service. If a university is best known for its alumni in professional sports or popular entertainment then it might be missing the mark.     

Marquette's mission is to prepare young men and women for a life of service through the integration of scholastic and moral excellence. Who cares what its USNWR rating is? We as alumni should not. I would much prefer to have Marquette embrace its core mission and genuinely prepare its students for a life of serving. Marquette champions figures such as number of alumni going on to law school or medical school. Nothing wrong with that but what are they doing with that to substantiate the Jesuit ideal? Such figures are not even half of the story. What is the balance of that narrative for therein lies the truth of the University's excellence. 

Death on call

GOO

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »
Well, of course there are PH.D's in the business field.  And for those with a JD the next step is LL.M. which is a masters in law and then there is some obscure degree after the LL.M. but I can't remember what that degree is... only saw it once on a law professor.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
Leadership is a strange beast. We studied many models of leadership at the Air War College and it is always crucial to recognize mission first rather than resume.

George Patton was a stellar field general - the best ground commander in the US Army in WW II. He wanted overall command of Overlord, seeing it as his due for success in North Africa and Sicily and the natural career progression. But Ike knew that he was wrong for a role that required equal parts diplomat and warrior and held him in reserve until he was given command of the 3rd Army. In that position he excelled far beyond expectation. I believe he would have been a disaster in the job that was given to Omar Bradley.

Hap Arnold was the right man to guide the strategic development of the USAF. Under his stewardship beginning in WW II the Air Force developed the technological base and scientific orientation that dominates its culture to this day. Arnold would have been a terrible field commander - a role that Curt Lemay flourished in. Lemay was a brilliant field commander in both the ETO and the Pacific. His vision in both the tactical and strategic application of air power saved American lives, possibly millions. The Pacific War ended not with an invasion but through Air Power. The atomic bombings were the exclamation point on the 5th AF paragraph that destroyed Japan from within.

I could offer up other examples - Adm King vs Adm Halsey, etc... but the point is to begin with mission then select from the pedigrees that best deliver that mission. Running Manpower or a plumbing business is a different mission than leading a national University with a specific purpose.

Absolutely dead on.  One person's success in one area doesn't always translate well to another, especially something as unique as a university.  Having worked at two universities (including MU for five years), there is a different cadence than the "real world".  I worked at IU, same deal.  Much more insular.  Part of that is the tenure system that permeates...get tenure, you are set for life...that is so contrary to the real world.  Of course, much of the university isn't made up of tenured professors, and that divide in and of itself is interesting. 

A CEO that was in a sector that had a heavy mix of union and non-union would do better at a university than one that was strictly from a non-union industry IMO.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »
Which is a great reason. But do take advantage of the Jesuit education. Remember that college should be much more than simply learning a trade.

Sample the broads too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:07 AM »
Absolutely dead on.  One person's success in one area doesn't always translate well to another, especially something as unique as a university.  Having worked at two universities (including MU for five years), there is a different cadence than the "real world".  I worked at IU, same deal.  Much more insular.  Part of that is the tenure system that permeates...get tenure, you are set for life...that is so contrary to the real world.  Of course, much of the university isn't made up of tenured professors, and that divide in and of itself is interesting. 

A CEO that was in a sector that had a heavy mix of union and non-union would do better at a university than one that was strictly from a non-union industry IMO.

The tenure system is essential to academic freedom but anathema to some with nothing but private sector or military experience. Bill Gates was always a CEO, from the age of 19 on. He encouraged the free exchange of ideas up until he made a decision, at which point he expected absolute obedience.

When he went over the Foundation Gates brought that same management approach which did not go over well at all with the largely academic PhDs who staffed the organization bearing his name. This is one of the reasons he brought Jeff Raikes and his team over from MS. Raikes serves as buffer and foil for Gates who decided to focus on the Global health vertical while Melinda worked US Programs.

Gates was spectacularly successful at MS but was failing spectacularly at the Foundation. Managing IT business professionals in a hierarchical enterprise is a different beast than dealing with world class academics used to complete freedom of expression. Leading authorities on tropical disease, oncology, epidemiology, etc... were appalled by Gates behavior while Gates, for his part, was furious with these employees who favored talk over action.

The titular head of the Foundation was Patti Stonesifer (married to Mike Kinsley) who, for a number of complex reasons, was unable to control Gates in any way. Gates was savvy enough to know he needed a stronger business leader to allow him to focus on Global Health while preventing him from chasing off all the help. Enter Jeff Raikes.

This case illustrates how leadership success in private enterprise does not ensure similar productivity in an academic environment.

Death on call

feedback