[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: William and Mary changing mascots  (Read 7841 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
William and Mary changing mascots
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
First, they were Indians. They changed to Tribe. Now, they're changing again. I submit that each and every one of these choices is FAR superior to Golden Eagles. Far superior.

http://www.wm.edu/about/mascot/?svr=web

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
Re: William and Mary changing mascots
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »
I generally run screaming when the perpetual mascot debate rears its head but I gotta say something about the Wrens caught my eye -- Call me crazy, but when I hear the phrase "small and perky" my mind immediately goes to something quite different than sports and/or a college mascot.   ;D

Mascot Idea #5 - Wren

This concept is the wren, a bird species found in Virginia. The name “Wren” also refers to and honors the historic Wren Building. The Wren Building is central to William & Mary, the only college is the U.S. still bound to the Royal Charter under which it was founded in 1693. The wren bird is small and perky with a powerful voice out of proportion to its size.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
No joke, my final decision for attending college was between MU and W&Mary. Great school. It comes as no surprise that they're doing this. I remember touring 5 years ago, and they were more or less preparing for it then. The tour guide kept making jokes like, "this is our football stadium, where the Indians--err, the Tribe--but let's be honest, another name change is inevitable, folks--anyway, this is where William & Mary football is held." They're like us, with Blue & Golds/Hilltoppers/Golden Avalanche/Warriors/Golden Eagles.

At least they're going about this in a much more calculated way. They're offering concepts, and they're not doing a vote until they get feedback. Better than offering two stupid choices ("Lightning?" Honestly?). $10 says Griffins wins. "Pugs" is stupid, "Phoenix" is way too overused, "Kings and Queens" is cumbersome--they should've just done "Monarchs."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »
No joke, my final decision for attending college was between MU and W&Mary. Great school. It comes as no surprise that they're doing this. I remember touring 5 years ago, and they were more or less preparing for it then. The tour guide kept making jokes like, "this is our football stadium, where the Indians--err, the Tribe--but let's be honest, another name change is inevitable, folks--anyway, this is where William & Mary football is held." They're like us, with Blue & Golds/Hilltoppers/Golden Avalanche/Warriors/Golden Eagles/Gold/Golden Eagles.

At least they're going about this in a much more calculated way. They're offering concepts, and they're not doing a vote until they get feedback. Better than offering two stupid choices ("Lightning?" Honestly?). $10 says Griffins wins. "Pugs" is stupid, "Phoenix" is way too overused, "Kings and Queens" is cumbersome--they should've just done "Monarchs."

There, fixed that for you.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Pugs?  They drool everywhere....not good.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38:25 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that with all the PC name changing, Redskins (the most derogatory Native American related team name) is still kicking?

Maybe if we replaced Fr. Wild with Daniel Snyder we would still be the Warriors?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that with all the PC name changing, Redskins (the most derogatory Native American related team name) is still kicking?

Maybe if we replaced Fr. Wild with Daniel Snyder we would still be the Warriors?

Father Wild didn't change Warriors.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »
Redskins don't have the NCAA to deal with, and donors to deal with.  They aren't in the business of educating people.

That said, the name should have been changed 15 years ago.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Father Wild didn't change Warriors.

He didn't change it back when he could have.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »
He didn't change it back when he could have.

It was a BOT decision, not Fr. Wild decision.  And yes, he sits on the board, but this isn't frickin' nam, there are rules.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
It was a BOT decision, not Fr. Wild decision.  And yes, he sits on the board, but this isn't frickin' nam, there are rules.

Bullcrap, Walter. Mark it 8, Dude.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »
Redskins don't have the NCAA to deal with, and donors to deal with.  They aren't in the business of educating people.

That said, the name should have been changed 15 years ago.

Redskins is the one native american characterization that is truly offensive.  Should be changed.

How about the Hawaii Warriors...WT...

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »

Don't let him hide behind the BOT's skirt.  He had the opportunity to undo a total BS decision, and chose not to lead.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »

Old Dominion University is just down the road and they, too are the Monarchs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
Old Dominion University is just down the road and they, too are the Monarchs.

Their logo?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
Don't let him hide behind the BOT's skirt.  He had the opportunity to undo a total BS decision, and chose not to lead.

Neither Wild nor the BOT have the authority to change it.  The nickname decision comes from much higher up on the Jesuit food chain.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
Neither Wild nor the BOT have the authority to change it.  The nickname decision comes from much higher up on the Jesuit food chain.

Big Brother...right?

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »

I knew JPII was up to something...

feedback