collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Colbert on Late Show  (Read 2448 times)

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Colbert on Late Show
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »
I admit I never saw his Comedy Central show, but I don't see how he lasts more than 6 months at the Late Show.

10min in and it's BRUTAL

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Colbert on Late Show
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
I watched his Comedy Central show regularly.  (Not everyday because this old guy falls asleep too early.)  I watched last night and thought it was simply OK.  He's a naturally funny guy, but I'm not sure his style fits with the format.  It might take awhile to figure it out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
Agreed .. I caught 10 minutes and it was just .. flat.  Cliche'd .. unfunny. 

Bad writers / material. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 01:52:15 AM »

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:01 AM »
I watched the first 20 minutes, did not have time to finish the rest yet.
What I watched I thought was funny.

* Starting the show by singing the national anthem with clips from all over the country and having John Stewart as an umpire yelling "Play ball!" is definitely Colbert-esque. 
* I liked the running bit with Les Moonves at a special booth where "if he didn't like we he saw" he could hit a button to return the network to reruns of The Mentalist.  (Which ran in the slot after Dave retired and before Colbert started.)  They cut to The Mentalist a few times too.
* The Jimmy Fallon cameo was funny too, where Jimmy told him "I'll see you in the locker room later."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
I loved how Colbert said no politics on his show, and in his very first show 6 minutes on Trump with a bunch of it superimposed with KKK imagery.

I won't be watching ever

brandx

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »
I was waiting to see which whiny little b***h would bring up politics first. There were really only two choices.

Well, I'm going to pout and stomp my feet and close my eyes really, really tight cuz they had a republican guest but no Dem.

It's not fair. It's not fair. It's not fair.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
I loved how Colbert said no politics on his show, and in his very first show 6 minutes on Trump with a bunch of it superimposed with KKK imagery.

I won't be watching ever

Actually, that's not what he said.  He said he would cover politics, just not filtered through "the conservative pundit character" that he used on his CC show.  Les Moonves said they wanted Colbert so he could infuse some of that political discussion from his old show. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »

I won't be watching ever

::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 03:06:56 AM »
Trump will be on Colbert 9/22.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 04:03:20 AM »
Trump will be on Colbert 9/22.

That's gonna be a train wreck. I wanna see Colbert destroy him but I don't know if I can get through a segment listening to trump.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
If you have a chance to watch his interview with Biden, do it. It was totally different than any late night talk show interview I've ever seen. Was centered on losing his son, and how he's dealing with it. Compelling stuff.

The VP and I are political opposites, but that interview had my complete attention.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

I won't be watching ever

I think you might be to old for this show. That was obviously a joke, seeing as how his entire comedic routine for years was politicss.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »
I liked the Colbert Report.  Very entertaining.  Colbert is a genuinely funny dude.

However, I could see the nonmillenial crowd not liking him or his shtick, perhaps asking themselves 'who the hell is this guy?'  or 'where did they find this guy?  he's not funny'.  IMO this is what happened to Conan O'Brien--mainstream folks did not appreciate his type of humor, and like a coach who doesn't win right away, NBC dropped him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
What always amazed me about his show on comedy central is how many conservatives didn't realize he was doing a character, that it was all shtick.    I don't know if he will be able to carry a show on a major network just being himself.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »
CBB, I'd like to see the source where Colbert said "no politics on (his) show".   

I'd believe it if the quote read "not just politics" on the show.

There are a grand total of zero late night shows that avoid political skewering.

It'd be bizarre if he didn't.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »
What always amazed me about his show on comedy central is how many conservatives didn't realize he was doing a character, that it was all shtick.    I don't know if he will be able to carry a show on a major network just being himself.

There are a few die hard religious massive conservatives that would always post something about the Colbert Report without realizing this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

I won't be watching ever

1. Way to be open-minded.

B. Prove Colbert said he wouldn't talk about politics. If so, he'd be the only talk-show host who doesn't.

3. His interview of Jeb was extremely fair and he helped make Jeb seem both electable and presidential.

D. His interview of Biden a couple of nights later is one of the best interviews I have seen on TV in a long, long time. Literally made me misty-eyed at a couple of points.

5. Colbert will have Trump on in a couple of weeks. That he isn't afraid to skewer somebody who will be a guest says something about him. It will be interesting to see how Trump handles it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
I was wrong.  Mea cupla.

I went back and looked and his comment was the show won't be about politics and I assume he meant centralized on politics, but not that he isn't going to get into them.

I was wrong.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
I was wrong.  Mea cupla.

I went back and looked and his comment was the show won't be about politics and I assume he meant centralized on politics, but not that he isn't going to get into them.

I was wrong.

This is a watershed moment in Scoop history.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
This is a watershed moment in Scoop history.

Liar

Predictable as all get out, but wrong on every level.  Use the search function.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
Liar

What search criteria should we use to find the "I was wrong" about "the real story coming out / other shoe dropping" with regard to Buzz's departure?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
Liar

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »
What search criteria should we use to find the "I was wrong" about "the real story coming out / other shoe dropping" with regard to Buzz's departure?

I love MU, don't want to see us get in trouble.  I know exatly who I'm calling for the deposition if needed.   :)

As for the search, pretty simple.  You can search by poster.  Then type in "i am wrong"  or try "i was wrong"  or "my mistake" or any other phrases.  Hundreds come up.  I've admitted it plenty of times.

Buzzy isn't here any longer, for a reason. 

feedback