collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Just who is the "best" fan  (Read 5333 times)

pitz

Just who is the "best" fan
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
I have read two threads written by very juvenile sounding posters with interest.
While most of it is garbage, it did make me think, just who is the best fan??
One set of posters thought it was the people who made road trips.....
So, does the multi milliionaire who has his own private jet and is able to make every road game with tickets he gets throught the university because he donates a bunch of money the best fan??????
Or is the best fan the student who is working two jobs (not so he can get drunk) but to pay tuition and room and board and spends his money on fanatics tickets and the student bus to DePaul just as good of a fan?
How about my father.....He has been to very few road games but he raised six kids who he put through MU, now has three grandchildren there and has formed a family of hugely rabid MU fans.  He was at the MU/Cincinnati game  the year we won Conference USA and his defibrillator went off.  The paramedics spent valuable time arguing with him because he didn't want to leave the game.  He scheduled his surgeries around MU basketball.
Or perhaps the sign of a good fan is a drunk fan.....because we know that this means something .......to some other drunken fool.  I suppose the fan who threw batteries from the upper level of the student section (who was drunk) and hit my niece in the head making her have stitches was the best fan there.
Well you boys need to grow up and quit the pissing match.
As many others have tried to write, how about just worrying about yourself and be the best fan that you can be.
Go Warriors

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Just who is the "best" fan
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »
I think the point of the longer of the two threads is that people are annoyed when others attempt to portray themselves as a bigger fan of the team than anybody else. In doing so, they feel it's necessary to take a position of authority when waiting in line or attempting to define what is appropriate behavior.

Although I am not a student, nothing irks me more than people trying to tell me what is appropriate (wearing gold, standing until the first basket) for a Marquette fan. I'll go to the game...wear what I please and I'll stand when I damn well feel like it!

Oh...and I'll tip quite a few beverages along the way.

Incidentally, I love that story about your Dad. I hope he's OK. And I think you know my opinions about your son's headdress...hope he's wearing it tomorrow! 

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure PRN hit the nail on the head.  there is never going to be a definition of the "best" fan.  to each their own.  everyone has their idea and their own stories to put them in the running for best fan. 

your comment about the battery thrower being the best fan is just ridiculous.  unless you are a cubs fan, throwing things from the upperdeck will never be considered cool.  however the occasional paper airplanes before the game starts is amusing. 

great story about your dad.  i can appreciate dedication like that. 

looks like pitz is finally tired of people picking on the kids that sit around her son.  you should have just left your post at what is the definition of the best fan. 
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

pitz

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »
No my point is regardless of who is being "picked" on it is crazy to say that fans need to do this or do that is regards to being a good fan.
Some of these posts are down right rude and that was what I was trying to get at.
I agree with PRN, don't tell everyone else what to do..... it is just like the young fans who yell at the old ones who don't stand up.
Don't be so judgmental until you have walked a mile in those "old" shoes.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »
As many others have tried to write, how about just worrying about yourself and be the best fan that you can be.

The irony is delicious...

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
I'll go to the game...wear what I please and I'll stand when I damn well feel like it!

Unless the game starts too late.  ;)

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »
Pitz-

After reading your posts I cant help but think that I might be seeing you on future episodes of Wife Swap. Have you ever seen some of the nutbags on that show?

Thanks for letting us know about your family and how hardcore MU you are. I paid my tuition too, I guess that makes me better than some people on this board too huh?

I would love to hang out with your dad, with you I would probably have to have a few of those $7 BC miller lites before I could enjoy myself.

"Did you see how many beers That Guy in front of us drank at the game?"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
As long as your cheering for Marquette you are alright with me.

If you aren't cheering for Marquette then you are messed up in the head and I will destroy you.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »

If you aren't cheering for Marquette then you are messed up in the head and I will destroy you.

And by destroy please tell me you mean peck to death

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
The best fan is simply put in two words

AVERY HALL

you may not know the name but there is no doubt you've seen him before

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »
Best fan or biggest fan?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »
that's a tough question spartan, i think biggest he's top 5 and probably up there for fans too.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »

And by destroy please tell me you mean peck to death

More like position his arms into the shape of an "L" and nod incessantly.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »
Mike "Freeway" McCarter...Hands down.