[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It Begins  (Read 4647 times)

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
It Begins
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »
Seth Davis just mentioned Crean as the Guy Indiana needs to talk to for their open position. Personally I believe his relationship with Izzo will prevent him from ever going to the Big Ten. But who knows.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Nukem2

• All American
Re: It Begins
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:18:21 AM »
Actually, I think his relationship with Sampson would keep him from going to IU.  Besides, the unknown NCAA penalties are a definite sticking point right now for any coach IU might beinterested in right now.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
I'd guess Stallings or Brownell.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
I'd guess Stallings or Brownell.

But I am praying for Isiah.
But I like to throw handfuls...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
Next to Jay Bilas is TC closer to any reporter than Seth Davis?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »

I didn't know Crean and Davis were that close. Who are the other reporters that Crean is close with?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »

I didn't know Crean and Davis were that close. Who are the other reporters that Crean is close with?

If you are PRN Crean is intimately close to every sports reporter ever ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »
A ranking of Crean's reporter girlfriends:

1. Jay Bilas
2. Seth Davis
3. Andy Katz

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »

1. Jay Bilas
2. Seth Davis
3. Andy Katz

Only because Tom invites those guys whenever he decides that he needs a press conference to tell everybody how great he is.

PRN, can you please tell us all about how Crean called that presser? You still have yet to answer the other thread. I hope you didn't forget.

Thanks.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not familiar with the process. Are you suggesting Crean wasn't compliant in the decision to call the thing? Suggesting otherwise is preposterous.

Now please tell me how you know he wasn't involved.

Thanks.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not familiar with the process. Are you suggesting Crean wasn't compliant in the decision to call the thing? Suggesting otherwise is preposterous.

Thanks.

I don't think anyone wrote that Crean wasn't compliant in the press conference. They are claiming that you claimed that Crean himself called the press conference (without the push or help from the media director).

And thank you for the list.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
I think Bo Ryan would be great at IU. After all he is a much better coach than can Tom Crean could ever be. Looses to a team with no 7 footers much less two.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
I think Bo Ryan would be great at IU. After all he is a much better coach than can Tom Crean could ever be. Looses to a team with no 7 footers much less two.

The Badger boards are hilarious.  Most want to string up St.  Bo.  A few adamant apologists.  No balanced view of Bo's long haul career.  Funny.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
IU definitely has a national cache. But I don't see TC going to the Big Ten until the MSU job opens up. But I was just waiting to see TC's name show up in the IU chatter.

I'm guessing S.Miller from Xavier will be the big name all summer unless him and Xavier squelch all rumors.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
Friendships? No, money talks. B. S. walks.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »

Apparently, money does talk. Your boy Bruce was on radio today talking up the IU job. Now, he wouldn't be doing that to leverage more cash out of the Vols, would he? Crean was never so public with his dalliances yet he still receives the wrath of some MU people. I wonder if there are Vols fans who are dismayed at the public ploy?
Can you ask him about this when you knock balls around in June?  ?-(

As for Sean Miller, he still seems to be candidate A. Thad Matta denied publicly he would take the OSU job only to accept it a week later. I could see the same with Miller even though he announced he'd be back at Xavier on Saturday.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Crean is closest to Bob Glauber.

When is PRN going to remind us that Tom Crean plants with Jay Bilas stories to overinflate his accomplishments?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »

I don't know, but I find it to be a good thing.  We've been talked about more in the last 9 years by those two then the previous 20 years combined where we were in the abyss.

Now, I'm guessing you're saying he's planting this story with Seth Davis which I find rather interesting.....on what basis are you going there?

tonyreeder

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »

1. Jay Bilas
2. Seth Davis
3. Andy Katz

I'm surprised Bilas has any time for Crean after the tongue bath he gave Hansbrough on Saturday.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
\

Thanks.

I dont' know how things work in puerto rico but here in america the burden of proof is on the accuser.  If you are the one making claims it's not up to us to disprove them for you

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »

Thanks.

(Cooby's got it right)

But, maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post. Allow me to be crystal clear.

I said I thought MU most likely called the press conference to announce the Crean's donation and use it to kick off the donation campaign to get a new soccer stadium.

My rationale is based upon MU using the Creans (and their donation) as a lightning rod to try and generate press and future donations. It's a pretty simple marketing and PR tactic. Like him or not, Crean is the best promoter MU has. MU needs to use him in such a manner.

In 2 previous threads (in several posts) you implied that the presser wasn't called to just to promote the stadium and/or donations, but that it had something to do with Crean himself:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=3306.msg26971#msg26971
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=7767.msg63036#msg63036

Here is a direct quote from you:

...and is attacked for trying to raise cash for a soccer field...

He was attacked for calling a press conference to announce this donation...and rightfully so!

Thanks for reminding me.

What is your rationale for claiming that Coach Crean called a press conference to announce his own donation?

I've asked you several times for your realistic viewpoint. Neither of us have any proof of what actually happened, but I've provided what I think is a very realistic solution (on at least 3 different occasions), but you have yet to provide me with any or your rationale.

Honest, we can agree to disagree, I'm just really curious how you've come to your conclusions... I'd like to know.

(edit for grammar)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:51:42 PM by 2002mualum »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »
why would he want to go to a middle of the road program such as Indiana when he can have his cake too at Marquette - a dream job!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »

Apparently, money does talk. Your boy Bruce was on radio today talking up the IU job. Now, he wouldn't be doing that to leverage more cash out of the Vols, would he? Crean was never so public with his dalliances yet he still receives the wrath of some MU people. I wonder if there are Vols fans who are dismayed at the public ploy?

As for Sean Miller, he still seems to be candidate A. Thad Matta denied publicly he would take the OSU job only to accept it a week later. I could see the same with Miller even though he announced he'd be back at Xavier on Saturday.

While i see your point here, Pearl pretty much said there is no way in hell he is taking the Indiana job even though it used to be a dream job for him... It didn't seem like he was trying to get anything out of Tennessee.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
I can say without hesitation that Pearl has no interest in the IU job. Furthermore, UT ripped up this contract after his first season there. As a matter of fact, money is being thrown his way by boosters constantly. So no real need to twist the University's arm.
BTW, look for McD AA, Hopson, to sign with them this week.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »
I think Pearl likes it a lot at Tennessee. Check this out.

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=3634

mviale

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
As a Parent, I think I would rather send my son to play for Crean.  As a guy, I would rather hang out with Pearl.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »

While i see your point here, Pearl pretty much said there is no way in hell he is taking the Indiana job even though it used to be a dream job for him... It didn't seem like he was trying to get anything out of Tennessee.

That's exactly the point. Pearl has no interest in Indiana. But by going on national radio and claiming it was once a dream job but now is soooooo happy at Tennessee that the dream job no longer intrigues him it spurs his AD into action to "juice" up the contract a bit.

Posturing, leveraging, call it what you want. Every coach does it these days, and I'm sure every fanbase groans over it, but I just find it funny that Crean continues to get hammered for it by a few fans and they explain it away when someone other then Crean does it.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
As a Parent, I think I would rather send my son to play for Crean.  As a guy, I would rather hang out with Pearl.

Ditto. The guy knows how to have fun. Can you just imagine how boring spending the day with TC would be? He'd probably want to go and scout for more guards. I mean, he's a great coach and I love having him as our head coach, but Pearl will take you to Silk in Juneau, WI and give you a $1000 in ones just to start with!!!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
according to PRN, Tom Crean was also directly involved in causing the Great Depression, the explosion of the Hindenberg, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, the JFK assassination, the Challenger disaster and 9/11.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 07:51:05 AM »

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

1. Jay Bilas
2. Seth Davis
3. Andy Katz

Mike Decoursy actually heads the list. Who can forget the fluff piece written by him bout Crean when he was a MSU assistant.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:05 AM »
I wonder if Crean has dirty pictures of all four of them....I mean it could be the only reason they are doing this....or maybe he's paying them off.