'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 108044 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #400 on: May 31, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
The sudden shift in perspective on Joey from many here is pretty hilarious. He’s now viewed as being a whiny, soft malcontent. Never heard any of those assertions before he transferred. Some of you sound like scorned lovers
Some teammates have referred to Joey as ‘Soft serve Vanilla’ that’s pretty funny and telling.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #401 on: May 31, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
I still think that both Sam and Joey's decisions had more to do with their NBA hopes than any particular rift with Markus, rift with Wojo, etc. 

Sam only has one year of playing left to make an impression.  Next year's MU team adds an aggressive guard who can score playing right alongside a guard who is always looking to score.  Not to mention a more confident senior Sacar, a more seasoned Bailey, and a comeback Greg Elliot.  Odds are, Sam's total ppg would have dipped next year just based on the shots going up around him (including those by his brother).  If Sam's going to the NBA, it'll be for his shooting ability alone.  A drop in production for any shooter can't look good to scouts, so his 2nd round draft odds probably would have been low.  Now, at UVa, he has drawn attention to himself - sure, he has to sit a year, but a very good coach at a very good school wanted him, and their system may allow him to score more.  Even if his scoring average stays about the same as it was at MU last year, he's built a story around himself and has proven he can play in arguably the best conference in men's hoops.  2nd round odds likely go up (I'm just assuming 1st round is out of the picture).

Joey's basically in the same boat, but obviously with more eligibility.  If playing in the NBA is truly their end goal, then this might have been their best option. 

Not saying their wasn't friction on all sides at the end of last year, but this may have been a business decision more than a personal decision.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #402 on: May 31, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
The sudden shift in perspective on Joey from many here is pretty hilarious. He’s now viewed as being a whiny, soft malcontent. Never heard any of those assertions before he transferred. Some of you sound like scorned lovers

You weren't listening then. There were plenty bashing on Joey during the last half of the season as there always is when players go through a long slump. Some made comments about his body language though those were usually dismissed.

That being said, there are definitely some bashing him now that weren't bashing him before. Definitely a scorned lover feel to a lot of it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #403 on: May 31, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
I still think that both Sam and Joey's decisions had more to do with their NBA hopes than any particular rift with Markus, rift with Wojo, etc. 

Sam only has one year of playing left to make an impression.  Next year's MU team adds an aggressive guard who can score playing right alongside a guard who is always looking to score.  Not to mention a more confident senior Sacar, a more seasoned Bailey, and a comeback Greg Elliot.  Odds are, Sam's total ppg would have dipped next year just based on the shots going up around him (including those by his brother).  If Sam's going to the NBA, it'll be for his shooting ability alone.  A drop in production for any shooter can't look good to scouts, so his 2nd round draft odds probably would have been low.  Now, at UVa, he has drawn attention to himself - sure, he has to sit a year, but a very good coach at a very good school wanted him, and their system may allow him to score more.  Even if his scoring average stays about the same as it was at MU last year, he's built a story around himself and has proven he can play in arguably the best conference in men's hoops.  2nd round odds likely go up (I'm just assuming 1st round is out of the picture).

Joey's basically in the same boat, but obviously with more eligibility.  If playing in the NBA is truly their end goal, then this might have been their best option. 

Not saying their wasn't friction on all sides at the end of last year, but this may have been a business decision more than a personal decision.

Uva’s System isn’t going to allow him to score more. He will only score more if there aren’t more options available. MU’s offense is much more like an NBAs offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 31, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
Some teammates have referred to Joey as ‘Soft serve Vanilla’ that’s pretty funny and telling.

Pretty telling, yes. As in wrong and kinda racist. Which "teammates"?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 31, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
Wee kneed sum tutti frutti playas, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #406 on: May 31, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
I was polite because he was still here.  But he was throwing his hands in the air in November when he didn't get the ball when he thought he should.  I chalked it up to freshman immaturity.  I noticed late in the year when he would get a defensive board and bring it up himself, then passing to Sam rather than passing it to Markus in stride.  And I held my tongue thinking I was imagining it and letting my previous observations affect my interpretation of what I was seeing.   His turnovers trying to pass it anywhere but to Markus.   I attributed them all to being a freshman and assumed he would grow up.    But they all happened.   Now he can grow up for Izzo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
Where?  Because I would laugh out loud if that was actually said publicly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »

Ridiculous comment with no evidence or context.

You weren't listening then. There were plenty bashing on Joey during the last half of the season as there always is when players go through a long slump. Some made comments about his body language though those were usually dismissed.

That being said, there are definitely some bashing him now that weren't bashing him before. Definitely a scorned lover feel to a lot of it.

Agree largely with this. Many Scoopers were advocating for Bailey (and even Cain) to get more of Joey's PT down the stretch, and some were even saying he should be benched. I seem to remember that all having to do with production, however, and not bad body language.

The fact is that Joey did disappear the last month or two. Unable to contribute offensively, he was a net negative because he couldn't play defense. None of which means he can't develop into an excellent player at MSU, just as I believe he would have developed into an excellent player at Marquette.

The later "Joey Sucks And Is Whiny" narrative shouldn't have been bought hook, line and sinker by as many Scoopers as did, but there were parts of it that seemed logical and helped fill in the holes that were part of the "Wojo Is The Worst Ever" narrative. As is almost always the case, the middle ground made the most sense to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »

Meh. I saw an occasional gripe about his body language and many complaints (with merit) about his D, but there’s straight revisionist character assassination going on ONLY because he transferred 
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #410 on: May 31, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
Meh. I saw an occasional gripe about his body language and many complaints (with merit) about his D, but there’s straight revisionist character assassination going on ONLY because he transferred

Yes, if he had stayed, most would have held their tongues and hoped he grew up.    He didn't stay.    Now the repressed gripes are coming out.   

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #411 on: May 31, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
Yes, if he had stayed, most would have held their tongues and hoped he grew up.    He didn't stay.    Now the repressed gripes are coming out.   
Yeah that’s not what this is in my opinion (not referring to you). Some of the venomous posts are strongly influenced by scorned lover syndrome
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
I think we need to recognize that Joey was a freshmen playing out of position.
Joey would of been playing out of position one more year, if the Hausers stayed at MU or ended up at the same school.

• All American
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
I think we need to recognize that Joey was a freshmen playing out of position.
Joey would of been playing out of position one more year, if the Hausers stayed at MU or ended up at the same school.

He wasn’t playing out of position. Positions are interchangeable in basketball these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 31, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »
Uva’s System isn’t going to allow him to score more. He will only score more if there aren’t more options available. MU’s offense is much more like an NBAs offense.
WTF? MU's offense is much more like an NBA's offense?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #415 on: May 31, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
Wee kneed sum tutti frutti playas, hey?
Wee kneed sumore playas of the Kalibre of Sam and Joey tu replace whut Wojo lost.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #416 on: May 31, 2019, 05:43:59 PM »
Kinda funny that almost erevrybody that posts about Hausergate blame Joey and his antics. Rarely does ny body recognize that Wojo could have prevented this, but it is easier to blame the young turncoat than the man making the huge bucks.

• All American
« Reply #417 on: May 31, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »
WTF? MU's offense is much more like an NBA's offense?

Yeah. The four out pick and roll offense is a staple of nba teams.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #418 on: May 31, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »
Yeah. The four out pick and roll offense is a staple of nba teams.

You telling me the NBA doesn't employ The Swing offense? 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:48:31 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #419 on: May 31, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
Kinda funny that almost erevrybody that posts about Hausergate blame Joey and his antics. Rarely does ny body recognize that Wojo could have prevented this, but it is easier to blame the young turncoat than the man making the huge bucks.

What did you want Wojo to do?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #420 on: May 31, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »

As the days have gone on, more people are targeting Joey as the cause. But I'd still guess if you broke down the % of posts, most of the criticism would have been directed at Wojo. Whose most right? Who knows?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
Turn head coaching duties over to Willie or the Hausers.  Resign.  Commit ritual suicide for the dishonor he had brought.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2019, 06:41:01 PM »
As the days have gone on, more people are targeting Joey as the cause. But I'd still guess if you broke down the % of posts, most of the criticism would have been directed at Wojo. Whose most right? Who knows?
Not rearly a criticism of Joey.  Had he gone to MSU or UW, would this have happened?  Reality is that they are basically the same player and that did not work out long term in MUs system and probably not elsewhere.  That’s probably reflective of why they are not together any more?  Food for thought.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
What did you want Wojo to do?
I have answered that for you previously. Wojo did not do enough to handle this situation. It appears that he did very little. So ho ahead with your blinders and keep defending a guy that is obviously in over his head.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

This.

Wojo took considerable more heat than Joey did, even after the "Crybaby Joey" narrative came out. Hell, I had been what joyless willie would call a "Wojo slurper," and I place the lion's share of blame on Wojo. I'd guess the ratio of Blame Wojo's to Blame Joey's was at least 2-to-1. At least. With a few Blame Markus & Wojo's thrown in. Very few Blame Sam's, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson