[Today at 09:59:40 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 108033 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #350 on: May 29, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
I believe Joey will have big time career at MSU.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #351 on: May 29, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
So, in the end, the Hausers united the Marquette community by reminding us that Wisconsin is the true enemy and giving us one more reason to mock the Badgers.    Thanks, Sam and Joey.

Turning a negative into a positive. Well done

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #352 on: May 29, 2019, 12:14:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/Jalen_J23/status/1133579426191613952

Not to mention that Jalen Johnson is taking note of Badger fans torching the Hausers on social media. 

There's a lesson here for fans of all teams, don't light up a player's or their family's social media accounts.  You look like a grade A idiot and hurt the team you care about in the process.

Agreed completely. People need to stop being so brave behind their keyboards and acting irrationally with knee jerk reactions. I believe venting on this message board is better than social media but there still can be negative side effects to it.

It would be a great goodbye gift from the Hausers to not only not go to UW but also have everything go down in a way that recruits don't want to go there because of their fans reactions  ;D

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #353 on: May 29, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Joey will be lucky to be a sixth man on MSU, after the experiment with him starting fails.

Well according to the Badger Board. Sam and Joey would have been lucky to even start at UW if they had went there. They claim there stats were inflated against a crappy conference comparable to that of the MEAC.

So I guess, by the transitive property. Badger fans think Joey won't even make the floor at MSU.

I think Joey will be very good at MSU. Izzo will be extremely tough on him, the difference is, Izzo is proven, and kind of unassailable in knowing his basketball. Wojo wasn't proven. Some people find it easier to blame the leader, than to look inward. Izzo's reputation will make anyone look inward, and improve. That will allow Joey to reach his full potential.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
Agreed completely. People need to stop being so brave behind their keyboards and acting irrationally with knee jerk reactions. I believe venting on this message board is better than social media but there still can be negative side effects to it.

It would be a great goodbye gift from the Hausers to not only not go to UW but also have everything go down in a way that recruits don't want to go there because of their fans reactions  ;D

I heard Jalen Johnson gave Wisconsin a silent verbal.

I kid, I kid
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #355 on: May 29, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »

I kid, I kid

The thing about a silent verbal, is that usually if you aren't going public with a decision yet, it is for good reason. You want to keep it quiet.

If the people you told leak it to the press, and it is published, you are going to seriously tick off the individual that wanted it private, possibly making them change their mind.

I know if I was given a new job offer, and I told the new employer that I intend on taking the job, but don't want to officially/formally announce it without tying up some loose ends first, and then they went and published it publicly. I would tell them to shove the job offer, as I don't want to work for some ashats that can't respect my privacy.

Leaking info to the press before someone wants it is never a good idea.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »
The thing about a silent verbal, is that usually if you aren't going public with a decision yet, it is for good reason. You want to keep it quiet.

If the people you told leak it to the press, and it is published, you are going to seriously tick off the individual that wanted it private, possibly making them change their mind.

I know if I was given a new job offer, and I told the new employer that I intend on taking the job, but don't want to officially/formally announce it without tying up some loose ends first, and then they went and published it publicly. I would tell them to shove the job offer, as I don't want to work for some ashats that can't respect my privacy.

Leaking info to the press before someone wants it is never a good idea.

Kinda like the #done deal Shaka "silent verbal", ai'na?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
Actually, no.   Joey could be featured on the 20-21 team.   Winston will be gone, Henry might be gone, there is really no proven players on that team.   IF Joey gets quicker and stronger and embraces the Izzo mentality, Joey COULD shine.     He IS a 6'9, 235lb skilled stretch 4.   There are a lot of building blocks there.

There will be plenty of 4 and 5-star players on MSU when Joey becomes eligible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »
But they will be young.   Henry and X will probably be gone to the league.  Virtually no contributors from last year's final four team will be there.  Joey's freshman numbers are better than any 18-19 Sparty freshman.   If Joey buys in and commits to the process, he will be fine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:10:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
Re: Unofficial - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #359 on: May 29, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
perhaps he believes Tony will develop his skills and abilities best and he’ll be in a system to better showcase them to help him stand out to scouts.

I understand your point, but it's not about skills. Sam has NBA quality basketball skills already.

But it is about athletic ability/quickness. The best comparison style and size-wise would probably be Kyle Korver. One of the premier shooters in the NBA. Yet, he never averaged over 12 points a game - even when playing 30+ minutes - because of a lack of quickness. Sam is slower than Kyle on both footspeed and shot release. Similar rebounders in college - Korver has averaged 3 RPG in the NBA.

With his skills, Sam could possibly latch on for a couple years as an end-of-bench guy at best. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
You think Wesley Mathews has a long NBA career if Crean sticks around? I know he doesn't.

I think Buzz put guys who looked border line (or worse) into the league.

Yes.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
Kinda like the #done deal Shaka "silent verbal", ai'na?

Yup. There is no such thing as a silent deal. Until everything is signed and public there is nothing.

Violating trust and publishing things, just leads to embarrassment and anger for everyone involved.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
If Joey's foot/ankle hold up he'll do great at MSU. He desperately needs tough coaching and Izzo will give him that.

Sam's in an ideal spot. A system that will get him clean looks, and cover up some of his defensive deficiencies.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
I don’t get the dipcraptery that ETR is.  He is insisting the Hausers are lying in that they gave a commitment but asked for it to be not announced.

Let’s say they did give a commitment - who leaked it ETR?  Why did you and Potyrkus have to announce it?

And even if they did commit, it’s not like recruits change their minds?

ETR is a total clown.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #364 on: May 29, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
I am glad the Hausers split up as it is the best thing for their game as their skills were redundant. While the Badger system fit their game, adding those two into the mix with Reuvers would have created a hair clog Liquid Plumr couldn't even have cleared.

That said, while MU is certainly less talented, I believe they will be more multi-dimensional and athletic. Much more of a focus on paint touches. 

With this decision, the Hausers aren't running from something like the past (Bo, Herro, Markus), but they appear to be running toward their separate paths. Good luck as it is all on their skills now which is the right choice if they were unhappy.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
I understand your point, but it's not about skills. Sam has NBA quality basketball skills already.

But it is about athletic ability/quickness. The best comparison style and size-wise would probably be Kyle Korver. One of the premier shooters in the NBA. Yet, he never averaged over 12 points a game - even when playing 30+ minutes - because of a lack of quickness. Sam is slower than Kyle on both footspeed and shot release. Similar rebounders in college - Korver has averaged 3 RPG in the NBA.

With his skills, Sam could possibly latch on for a couple years as an end-of-bench guy at best. I wouldn't bet on it though.

I don't believe Sam is a NBA player in today's league, but he can make a very nice living playing overseas.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #366 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »

I kid, I kid

He’s gonna back out of that silent verbal

https://twitter.com/jalen_j23/status/1133579426191613952?s=21

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
Yup. There is no such thing as a silent deal. Until everything is signed and public there is nothing.

Violating trust and publishing things, just leads to embarrassment and anger for everyone involved.

The many times I watch a Baseball pitcher and catcher  I see Silent Deals, but a Silent Verbal to me is different it is an Oxymoron.

I see it as an Ultra Limited verbal.  But as some Humans have that gene (I will only tell my best, most Trusted friend) the Trickle begins and it become not so Ultra  and accuracy is bended and conclusions drawn are varied.

But it does lead to filling some of our summer time season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #368 on: May 29, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
The public knowledge of a silent agreement has been going on for decades at Madison.

Remember the Bobby Knight coaching hire in 1968?

Knight, still coaching at Army, came into Madison and was offered and alledgedly accepted the Badgers head job.
He asked that everything be kept quiet as he explained that he needed a few days to get everything in order back home and have time to speak with the players at Army.
Before he even gets back to West Point the story about him accepting the job had been leaked to the press.
Even a taped recording of him accepting found it's way out of the closed door meeting.

He was furious.

Knight contacted Bo Schembechler who felt he had been disrespected the previous year during his interview for the Wisconsin football job.  Bo says his interview was held at 10 pm, one of the interviewers slept for the duration of the 40 minute interview.
Schembechler recommended Knight just call and turn down the position.  Which he did.

The Wisconsin people were furious.  But we have you on tape accepting.  Knight says, "I know.  I heard."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #369 on: May 29, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
I don't believe Sam is a NBA player in today's league, but he can make a very nice living playing overseas.

This.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #370 on: May 29, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
But they will be young.   Henry and X will probably be gone to the league.  Virtually no contributors from last year's final four team will be there.  Joey's freshman numbers are better than any 18-19 Sparty freshman.   If Joey buys in and commits to the process, he will be fine.

Joey is a very skilled player. If he makes the commitment, he will be very good at MSU. But with the talent that they have, I don't think he will ever be "the guy". By his junior/senior years, however, I do expect he will average about 15/7 and be a major cog on the team.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #371 on: May 29, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »
Agree that Wes got what he got totally on his own but does he even get a chance without the break out senior year?

Buycks, JFB and Jae all got much more out of their post college careers than could have been predicted. One constant of Buzz coached guys? Toughness. Tons of talent in the NBA - toughness can be the tiebreaker.

Then clearly Joey should go play for Buzz.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #372 on: May 29, 2019, 04:19:05 PM »
Agree with all of it, but definitely a loss for both. I think the difference is that while it's tangibly a bigger loss for us because it's two starters, we at least seem to have players in place to take those minutes & already filled a scholarship for the coming year (Jayce) that will at the least help cover the minutes Joey would've provided by filling minutes JH would've played at the 5 and allowing Ed to slide to the 4, replacing more of JH's minutes effectively.

For Wisconsin, that also would've been 2 starters that, at least from a fan perspective, they see themselves as losing. Hard to imagine Aleem Ford or Nate Reuvers matches the level of efficiency & production either Hauser would've given. I also think it's a big blow that, when the Hausers stated they wanted to stay together, it was more appealing to split up and go to different out of state schools than it was to stay home together. That to me is a clear indicator that, while Wisconsin was on the list & received a visit, they were never really a serious option.

Both from an on-court and from a morale standpoint around Greg Gard, this is really bad news for them. In addition, while their 2017 recruiting class was solid, since then Gard has zero 4-star commits in 2018, 2019, or 2020 and zero top-150 players per 247 Sports. The Hausers would've provided a big injection of not just talent but also name recognition and proof of recruiting ability. They don't seem to be the favorites for any of their numerous 2020 4/5 star targets. Gard will have to replicate Bo-level player improvement, & might even need to do better in that regard than Bo did, to get remotely comparable results.

I don't dispute this at all. Losing the Hausers twice, especially this time when they seemed to be delivered to F%ckyville on a silver platter, is devastating for a coach who has not proven he can recruit a lick.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #373 on: May 29, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/big_smooth10/status/1133729726235906049?s=21

Sam denying the whole 'silent verbal' thing.
Because the whole "silent verbal" stupidity is a fiction made up by clowns like Eric the Red.  He's now claimed twice that Joey was committed to Wisconsin, and instead of people calling him out, they prefer to pretend it's the players and/or their nefarious parents who screwed them, instead of their idiot leader making crap up to look like a big deal.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #374 on: May 29, 2019, 05:20:40 PM »
Because the whole "silent verbal" stupidity is a fiction made up by clowns like Eric the Red.  He's now claimed twice that Joey was committed to Wisconsin, and instead of people calling him out, they prefer to pretend it's the players and/or their nefarious parents who screwed them, instead of their idiot leader making crap up to look like a big deal.

I hope someday Joey gets into coaching and pulls what Shaka did to us but to Wisconsin.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback