'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5/28 finally official - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU  (Read 108050 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Unofficial - Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
I don't think it is likely, but it sure would seem like returning to MU us the most prudent decision from Sam's perspective...

That's not necessarily from Sam's perspective, though.  That's from an MU fan's perspective.  As the "unofficial" rumor stands, Sam is transferring to an elite school -- both in terms of current state of the basketball program and academics -- and he'll get two years there.  If Sam is thinking beyond his potential for playing professional basketball, I would think that two years at UVA would be extremely attractive.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
That's not necessarily from Sam's perspective, though.  That's from an MU fan's perspective.  As the "unofficial" rumor stands, Sam is transferring to an elite school -- both in terms of current state of the basketball program and academics -- and he'll get two years there.  If Sam is thinking beyond his potential for playing professional basketball, I would think that two years at UVA would be extremely attractive.

How will Sam get two years at any NCAA Member Institution?

Most he gets is one!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »

Most he gets is one!

I think he's including his sit out year
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »

Most he gets is one!
2 years of school, one year of ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Sam wasn't happy at MU anymore. Why is it in his best interests to return?

We need to let go of the idea that he'd return. Longest of longshots.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
I think the obvious answer is:

—He will not have to sit out a year for his final collegiate season;
—Great opportunity to make a run with a very good team;
—not have to face the unknown of playing less(potentially much less) than the 34 minutes he averaged last year;
—etch his name in Marquette history.

But, if he’s not happy then none of these points matter.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:10:26 PM by We R Final Four »

Whereisal

• Walk-On
Re: Sam to UVA, Joey to MSU
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
Deadline is tomorrow at 11:59pm so I am guessing the Hausers will decide Friday. I kind of hope they end up at the same school as an F U to potrykus and other badger media for putting out that article last weekend.

Where is that deadline coming from?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »

Most he gets is one!

I'm talking education, not basketball.  He'll have two years at UVA -- one of the better schools in the country.  He could get a good start on a graduate degree if he wants.

I can understand people saying that staying at MU might be "better" from Sam's perspective if he prioritizes being eligible to play pro ball a year earlier (and if he values being an "all-time great" at his school).  But, if Sam values the education and degree, two years at UVA is a great opportunity.  And it doesn't hurt that they also play pretty good basketball there.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »

Do we know that for a fact?  There are so many theories/stories/whatever you want to call them thrown around here, I have no idea what is actually accurate.  To be fair, I didn't follow it that closely once their intentions were announced, because it was what it was.  But its now almost two months later and we still have no clarity.  Did he simply just follow Joey?  Did he have a falling out with Markus?  Does he not get along with Wojo?  Did his parents make him do it?  Wayyyyyy too many unknowns (at least for me) to make any real determinations.  I do think its fair to conclude he wasn't thrilled with something seeing as though he stated his intention to transfer, but its bizarre to me that 6-7 weeks later we're pretty much in same same we were then.  The fact that Joey and Sam may be splitting up adds another (significant IMO) wrinkle to the story. 

That being said, I PERSONALLY feel like its in his best interest for his future basketball career to stay at MU. He comes back to MU as a 21 year old senior set to have a big season as a clear top 2 option on a top 10 team.  If he leaves and goes to UVA as projected, he sits out a year, graduates as a 23.5 year old 5 year player.  He has no idea who UVA may bring in between now and August 2020 that could compete with him for minutes.  A lot of unknowns.  Now maybe putting his best foot forward for an already longshot NBA career isn't his highest priority.  That would make some sense.  But I generally think it is safe to assume pretty much every high major college basketball player wants to do what is best for his future pro career. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
From an education standpoint, MU is going to serve him just as fine as UVA.

I don’t think he returns, but whatever his choice, it will be 100% based on basketball and happiness with basketball reasoning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
I'm talking education, not basketball.  He'll have two years at UVA -- one of the better schools in the country.  He could get a good start on a graduate degree if he wants.

I can understand people saying that staying at MU might be "better" from Sam's perspective if he prioritizes being eligible to play pro ball a year earlier (and if he values being an "all-time great" at his school).  But, if Sam values the education and degree, two years at UVA is a great opportunity.  And it doesn't hurt that they also play pretty good basketball there.

You do realize the highlighted part played no role in his decision to attend UVa. 

Instead, it is a reflection of what is important to you, a non-athlete that has zero aspiration or ability to get paid as a professional athlete, and not Sam's calculus.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »

I am sorry, but to assume a player like Sam is making a decision like this based purely on academics is asinine. 

Obviously UVA is a far superior school to Marquette.  But he didn't make the decision to transfer based on the school name on his future college degree. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
From an education standpoint, MU is going to serve him just as fine as UVA.

I don’t think he returns, but whatever his choice, it will be 100% based on basketball and happiness with basketball reasoning.

MU is a fine school. Virginia is a level above MU.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »

So did Joey made a huge mistake going to that giant community college known as MSU? (and save us the argument ... MSU is a crap school)
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
Let's say Sam did return: would that not potentially cause other players to want to leave the team?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

We need to let go of the idea that he'd return. Longest of longshots.

It's possible he thought when he decided to transfer that the options would be better. Or thought the visits would be better. He could have left in a "huff" without thoroughly thinking it through. It also could have had a lot more to do with Joey then him. Time CAN heal, reflection is never a bad thing. That being said, I'm 99.9% sure he ends up at UVA, which is okay...as long as it's not UW, I'm good.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »

He’s finished three years of an undergraduate education already. Will he somehow magically be smarter and more capable of making a living for himself if he finishes up at UVA?

Of course not. Ranking are almost entirely based on the qualities of the incoming student base anyway.

He’d do just as well finishing up at either place. The only advantage uva would have is a likely start toward a graduate degree because he would be there two years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »
Let's say Sam did return: would that not potentially cause other players to want to leave the team?

Not necessarily, and even IF it did...Sam is better than anyone that would consider leaving, right?? IF IF IF he were to come back, or even considered it, I am certain it would have to be voted on by the team.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
You do realize the highlighted part played no role in his decision to attend UVa. 

Instead, it is a reflection of what is important to you, a non-athlete that has zero aspiration or ability to get paid as a professional athlete, and not Sam's calculus.

I do realize that.  Which is why I specifically said if academics was a driving factor, it's a great opportunity.

I'm not suggesting that Sam is making his decision purely on academics.  But let's not pretend that is all UVA has going for it.  I was merely responding to an initial post that said returning to MU is the "most prudent" decision for Sam.  I was pointing out that UVA has a hell of a lot going for it.  Including stellar academics.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »

He’s finished three years of an undergraduate education already. Will he somehow magically be smarter and more capable of making a living for himself if he finishes up at UVA?

Of course not. Ranking are almost entirely based on the qualities of the incoming student base anyway.

If you don't think that the name on the degree matters to a lot of people -- both in hiring and/or admitting to graduate school -- then I don't know what to tell you.  No, he won't be smarter.  But he will quite possibly be more marketable (depending upon what Sam's future plans are) which might just make him more capable of making a living.  I wouldn't necessarily call it magic.

He’d do just as well finishing up at either place. The only advantage uva would have is a likely start toward a graduate degree because he would be there two years.

That was my initial point.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
I do realize that.  Which is why I specifically said if academics was a driving factor, it's a great opportunity.

I'm not suggesting that Sam is making his decision purely on academics.  But let's not pretend that is all UVA has going for it.  I was merely responding to an initial post that said returning to MU is the "most prudent" decision for Sam.  I was pointing out that UVA has a hell of a lot going for it.  Including stellar academics.

UVA is probably a better overall situation for most players coming out of HS or for say, a grad trasnfer.  I am not naive enough to doubt that. That being said, one place (UVA) you cannot play in a game until November 2020, the other (MU) you can continue on playing on a top 10 team, get your degree and be cashing a paycheck playing basketball before you'd even step foot on a court in a real game at UVA. 

That is why coming back to MU is the most prudent if Sam decided to leave for reasons such as a) following Joey; b) upset with Markus over Joey related things; c) parents are upset with Wojo over lack of Joey getting involved, d) parents are upset with Wojo over lack of reigning in his All American.  If Sam and Joey aren't even going to transfer to the same place, why exactly is Sam leaving again? 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
If you don't think that the name on the degree matters to a lot of people -- both in hiring and/or admitting to graduate school -- then I don't know what to tell you.  No, he won't be smarter.  But he will quite possibly be more marketable (depending upon what Sam's future plans are) which might just make him more capable of making a living.  I wouldn't necessarily call it magic.

That was my initial point.

Sam won't be applying for investment banking jobs on Wall Street upon graduation.  The name on his degree is fairly meaningless.  By the time he would theoretically be looking for a job he'd need to apply for, he'd likely be in his late 20's at the earliest and the name on his undergrad degree is pretty much meaningless at that point. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
UVA is probably a better overall situation for most players coming out of HS or for say, a grad trasnfer.  I am not naive enough to doubt that. That being said, one place (UVA) you cannot play in a game until November 2020, the other (MU) you can continue on playing on a top 10 team, get your degree and be cashing a paycheck playing basketball before you'd even step foot on a court in a real game at UVA. 

That is why coming back to MU is the most prudent if Sam decided to leave for reasons such as a) following Joey; b) upset with Markus over Joey related things; c) parents are upset with Wojo over lack of Joey getting involved, d) parents are upset with Wojo over lack of reigning in his All American.  If Sam and Joey aren't even going to transfer to the same place, why exactly is Sam leaving again?
What has changed with d) that would make Sam want to return?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »
hat being said, I PERSONALLY feel like its in his best interest for his future basketball career to stay at MU. He comes back to MU as a 21 year old senior set to have a big season as a clear top 2 option on a top 10 team.  If he leaves and goes to UVA as projected, he sits out a year, graduates as a 23.5 year old 5 year player.  He has no idea who UVA may bring in between now and August 2020 that could compete with him for minutes.  A lot of unknowns.  Now maybe putting his best foot forward for an already longshot NBA career isn't his highest priority.  That would make some sense.  But I generally think it is safe to assume pretty much every high major college basketball player wants to do what is best for his future pro career.

I agree with you on this.  And while it is generally safe to assume that, Sam's current actions suggest that this isn't necessarily the case.  I think that if basketball -- specifically preparing for a shot at the NBA -- is Sam's number one priority, transferring is a bad decision.  But, it appears that Sam is transferring.  To a school where it's quite possible he'll get recruited over.  That makes me think that perhaps preparing for "an already longshot NBA career" might not be his number one priority.  Or, like many kids his age, he thinks he can overcome those disadvantages.

jnolan23

• Walk-On
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
Announcement coming in the next few minutes via social media according to Evan Flood.