[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson Update  (Read 10416 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Jamil Wilson Update
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
looking at that top 100 up there... I count one player that is productive in the NBA and that is Boozer... the memories of when Bender was all the rave, and Jason Kapono was the next Chris Mullin.

Jason Kapono is in the NBA record book as the most accurate three-point shooter in league history and is a very solid role player. He's not a star by any stretch, but he is a productive NBA player.

As someone else mentioned, Jason Richardson (averaged about 22 ppg last year) is on that list, as is Samuel Delambert (10 ppg/10 rpg last year).

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
sheesh remember all of drama around Marshall Williams.

Marshall Williams was working with Tom Diener at Vincent last season.  I believe Larry Bradley (the #1 rated freshman last season in Wisconsin) is Williams' nephew.

player ratings
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/playerrank.asp?sportid=1&list=1&pos=9
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:50:48 AM by oldwarrior81 »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
i have absolutely no idea where krunti hester was ranked as a freshman but I will give you this tid bit as to where he was as a senior to be.  That was back during my AAu involvemtn time and having heard krunti verballed to Mu I mosied over to watch him during one tournament.  His AAU team had the young man out of Lawrence North, Joihn Stewrt who passed away and was a Kentucky signee in the middle.  They also had two really good PF's I assumed one of them was Krunti and was excited.  then I asked one of the coaches which one was Krunti..he pointed over to the last man on the bench.  He came in during mop up time and was in over his head.   Sad day

jce

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
Marshall Williams was working with Tom Diener at Vincent last season.  I believe Larry Bradley (the #1 rated freshman last season in Wisconsin) is Williams' nephew.

player ratings
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/playerrank.asp?sportid=1&list=1&pos=9

C'mon Buzz!!!  You got to protect your backyard and wrap this guy up!!!!  (That was sarcasm.)

Funny...I saw #23 on that list just last weekend and if he is in the top 25 in the state, it is a pretty weak class.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
However, intuition tells me that there is a statistically significant correlation between the pre-judged strength of a recruiting class and the subsequent performance of a college team.

Example, in the previous three years, both Memphis and Kansas had two top 10 RSCI recruiting classes. 

A pre-judged, highly ranked recruiting class may not guarantee success, but I'd rather take my chances with one.

oh - and if you boil it down, pretty much everything we as fans do with sports is kind of silly.

Yes, I would concur with all of what you said.  Better players will mean better teams more often then not...but also as that list shows, a lot of top 100 players end up being rather pedestrian.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »
With all due respect ToughMover I don't think your comment holds alot of water.  At that time DeMatha had one greatest high-school coaches with Morgan Wooten -- who is featured in the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield Mass.  DeMatha in those years (and many prior) was a powerhouse that consistently fed players to top-programs.  Morgan's players were talented and well coached.

Maybe Gonzaga has had success against DeMatha consistently, but using that as a chance to poke Crean doesn't make sense.

Come now who needs a reason. I was just commenting on two players on the list. Jamil Wilson to me is something people should stop talking about. He doesn't' fit with the incoming group they already a have and yes you should always take talented players, its clear that most felt Maymonee was a higher quality. Yes it was a shot at Crean, but it was also a way to pump up the old ALMA MATER. Take it Easy Dude. However I still believe that its not always abotu talent. If that were the case them USC woudl win every year in football and MAryland woudl have never won a national titles. Experience and testicular fortitude matter too. And Next years MU squad is full of both. Getting back again to Jamil. Everyone shoudl knwo that sometimes its okay not to get all the best IN-state players. HE was holding some scholarships hostage and chose to make a late date, this may end up costing him in the end.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 12:37:43 PM »
But Wilson will be critical to THIS recruiting class if someone doesn't qualify.
SS Marquette

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
Because Partial Qualifiers have never worked out at MU. THe obsession over Wilson seems ridiculous to me. He is a player falling down the boards which to me seems to mean that he hasnt' improved. That is troublesome to me, I'd rather have a palyer who has worked hard to get better each year and went from unranked to top 50 then a guy who started out in the top 10 and then did not get better form year to year and ended up a top 40. The former are guys like McNeal and Wade, the later are players like Scott Merritt and Terry Sanders.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
Because Partial Qualifiers have never worked out at MU. THe obsession over Wilson seems ridiculous to me. He is a player falling down the boards which to me seems to mean that he hasnt' improved. That is troublesome to me, I'd rather have a palyer who has worked hard to get better each year and went from unranked to top 50 then a guy who started out in the top 10 and then did not get better form year to year and ended up a top 40. The former are guys like McNeal and Wade, the later are players like Scott Merritt and Terry Sanders.

Just a minor thing but the Big East has a league policy that prohibits schools from taking on partial qualifiers.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the correction Deer, in the words of the immortal Johnny Carson "I did not know that" regardless, I will tutor him here in Madison if that is what it takes, I could get him that A in social studies

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
As much as I like the idea, the NCAA's got to have something on that bieng an improper benefit or something...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
As much as I like the idea, the NCAA's got to have something on that bieng an improper benefit or something...
I wouldn't think it would be.  I could be wrong, but as long as you aren't supplying him with books for free or slipping him money or other gifts I would think you would be able to tutor a future D1 basketball player.  Kids can study together in school, and if a kid wants to get help studying he shouldn't be prevented from that.  Again, I don't know but if there is a rule against it I think it would send a bad message, discouraging kids from getting help in school.

Another note about that list of players, I remember when Joseph Forte was being billed as the next Michael Jordan part way through his freshman year at UNC, and then he left early and definitely should not have.  Haven't heard a thing about him since...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
That is true about partial qualifiers, but if you look at the qualifying page all Maymon has to do is raise his grade point like .2 percent and he'll be qualified (guessing).  Its not a matter of doing better on the ACT.  My guess is he has like a 2.2 and needs a 2.4 because he got 18 on his ACT, or something like that.  I guess that because the press conference mentioned that he needs to retake a few classes this summer, so those grades will replace the likely failing grades that are lowering his GPA.  Its seems he understands the importance of this and will get it done. Personally I'm not worried.

http://www.nats.us/player_zone/eligibility/clearinghouse.asp

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
I wouldn't think it would be.  I could be wrong, but as long as you aren't supplying him with books for free or slipping him money or other gifts I would think you would be able to tutor a future D1 basketball player.  Kids can study together in school, and if a kid wants to get help studying he shouldn't be prevented from that.  Again, I don't know but if there is a rule against it I think it would send a bad message, discouraging kids from getting help in school.

Another note about that list of players, I remember when Joseph Forte was being billed as the next Michael Jordan part way through his freshman year at UNC, and then he left early and definitely should not have.  Haven't heard a thing about him since...

Was it Harold Minor?  I know his last name was Minor, he was supposed to be the next guy and flopped as well.  Then stackhouse, who ended up being solid.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
Esoteric,
If you look at requirement #4 of the link that you posted, you will see the requirements are  combined such that if he has a low GPA he needs to do better on the ACT/SAT.  Therefore, I don't think he is as sure of a bet as you.  If its just GPA, I think he can easily get to a 2.4.  However, I still think he would need to do well on the ACT.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »
That is true about partial qualifiers, but if you look at the qualifying page all Maymon has to do is raise his grade point like .2 percent and he'll be qualified (guessing).  Its not a matter of doing better on the ACT.  My guess is he has like a 2.2 and needs a 2.4 because he got 18 on his ACT, or something like that.  I guess that because the press conference mentioned that he needs to retake a few classes this summer, so those grades will replace the likely failing grades that are lowering his GPA.  Its seems he understands the importance of this and will get it done. Personally I'm not worried.

http://www.nats.us/player_zone/eligibility/clearinghouse.asp

Yet, he still has to cut it academically at MU.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
Was it Harold Minor?  I know his last name was Minor, he was supposed to be the next guy and flopped as well.  Then stackhouse, who ended up being solid.
He could be too, but I'm talking about Joseph Forte, who was on the list posted on the first page of 101 players, I believe he was at UNC in 2001 or around there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter