[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU offers Maymon  (Read 10227 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
MU offers Maymon
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14823

For all of his junior season and for the better part of April, Madison Memorial junior Jeronne Maymon had all of two scholarship offers -- from Baylor and UW-Green Bay.

Well, that situation has changed – and in a big way -- for the multi-talented and quickly emerging 6-foot-6 combination forward.

In the past 10 days or so, Maymon has received scholarship offers from Marquette, Iowa State, Tennessee and USC, according to his father Tim Maymon.

“And we are hoping to hear soon from Kentucky and Minnesota as well,” Tim Maymon said. “Kentucky is involved and is close to making an offer and we expect Minnesota to also get involved.

“Marquette is making a lot of noise right now, and we really like Iowa State and Baylor. Baylor and Iowa State might be the top priorities because the coaches there have said they will run their whole team through Jeronne. The coaches at Baylor said they can make him the Kevin Durant of Baylor. The coaches at Iowa State have said Jeronne will be their ‘go-to’ player and will form a great one-two combination with Diante Garrett.”

Maymon continues to light up the travel-team circuit like few other players in the nation in the class of 2009.

After playing extremely well at the Real Deal on the Hill in Houston and the King James Shooting Stars Classic in Akron, Ohio, in April with the Wisconsin Gators Elite squad, Maymon turned in another strong performance while competing for the Illinois Bobcats at the Bill Hensley Memorial Run ‘N Slam Classic last weekend in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

In a game against The Family out of Detroit, Maymon finished with 33 points to help lead the Bobcats to a narrow victory over a program that includes highly regarded frontline prospects DaShonte Riley (6-11, undecided), Derrick Nix (6-9, Michigan State) and Donnovan Kirk (6-8, Miami, Fla). Michael Haynes of Chicago Washington teamed with Maymon to form a dynamic frontline for the Bobcats as he added more than 20 points.

Maymon is scheduled to compete with the Illinois Bobcats again this weekend at the GBOA Tournament at the University of Illinois-Chicago. He is also slated to participate for the Bobcats at the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions in North Carolina on May 23-25.

“We will take some unofficial visits this summer, but only to schools that have made an offer,” Tim Maymon said. “We will be playing at a tournament in California in the summer and will probably stop by USC at that time. And we will visit Tennessee after playing in a tournament in Las Vegas in July.

“Schools will need to match what Baylor and Iowa State are offering in order to get Jeronne. He is not redshirting and he is not coming off the bench.

“Jeronne has proved the last three weeks how good he is and how well he can compete on a national level. It’s been a frenzy in terms of recruiting, but we’re still looking to narrow our list to our top three schools in June and then take some unofficial visits.”

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: MU offers Maymon
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14823

Baylor and Iowa State might be the top priorities because the coaches there have said they will run their whole team through Jeronne. The coaches at Baylor said they can make him the Kevin Durant of Baylor. The coaches at Iowa State have said Jeronne will be their ‘go-to’ player and will form a great one-two combination with Diante Garrett.”

“Schools will need to match what Baylor and Iowa State are offering in order to get Jeronne. He is not redshirting and he is not coming off the bench.

Ok, help me here with the statements above.  They seem to be empty words.  Coaches can say this now, but we'll see in the fall of 2009 where he fits. 

Shouldn't Maymom and his dad look at the roster and figure this out?  He should be able to tell that he can start and whether he is the "go to" guy.  If he comes off teh bench, then he's not as good as he thinks.

Let's say he goes to MU and they land Wilson.  Is going to ask out of his LOI?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
“Schools will need to match what Baylor and Iowa State are offering in order to get Jeronne. He is not redshirting and he is not coming off the bench."

My guess is he will be talking to Indiana soon...they will have 13 starters there, and the offense will be created specifically to run through each of the 13 players, who will each be the designated "go to" guy.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
It's just the latest in a long line of strange comments by his dad.  When Jerronne was starting to get notice from big names a few years ago, his dad talked about how any school that wanted Jeronne was going also have to give a scholarship to his older and less talented brother.  He's since backed off that, but now he's a come up with another ultimatum.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »
Another father in the mold of Jerry Smith's father.  Not that you avoid someone like this because of his father but you certainly have to take a long hard look at him and what it does to team chemistry, especially if the expectation is already set that Maymon will be a starter as a freshman.  Plus geographically Tim Maymom is closer to rattle the saber than Jerry Smith's dad is to Louisville.  I'm a little leary of Maymon to say the least.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »
I can honestly say that Maymon's father comes to mind when I think, "Who's the next father to hold a baseball bat over his son so they sign with the "right" school?"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
You think Iowa State is selling Maymon on the idea that the offense will through him as Scott C will be running the point?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
"The coaches at Baylor said they can make him the Kevin Durant of Baylor.
Schools will need to match what Baylor and Iowa State are offering in order to get Jeronne. He is not redshirting and he is not coming off the bench."

Uhhhh....right.  Durant was a freak when it came to basketball talent - it not like the coaches at Texas magically got him to play that well.  Either you've got it or you don't - if you are worried about competing for playing time at MU, then maybe Baylor or ISU are better fit for you.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
I hope Jeronne is more committed to a program than the fickleness of his father's words.

But in reality, what parent - or recruiting coach for that matter - hasn't billed their recruit as the "second coming"?
SS Marquette

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of his father's statements either.  All I can tell you is that if ISU lands Harrison Barnes in '10, Maymon would end up sharing the spotlight. 

jce

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
I hope Jeronne is more committed to a program than the fickleness of his father's words.

But in reality, what parent - or recruiting coach for that matter - hasn't billed their recruit as the "second coming"?

Probably most of them.  No offense but these statements are a little classless.  If he comes here, he will likely be backing up Hayward for his last year and then starting after that.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
Does his dad expect a job in the new town?  Iowa St has zero standards, but I don't know about Baylor.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »
Yikes.

I love the looks of this kid on wishoops... but these comments make me suspect.

Obviously we don't know what conversations are being had... but hopefully MU isn't promising those sorts of things.

I'm no recruiter... but the only promises I would be making would be "You'll have to work hard. You'll have an opportunity to play a lot. You'll get a degree from MU. Beyond that, it's up to you."

I'm not sure promising 17 year olds that kind of stuff is the best idea... but again, I'm not a recruiter, nor do I know what goes into recruiting these kids.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »
Does his dad expect a job in the new town?  Iowa St has zero standards, but I don't know about Baylor.

You'd think after Bliss they would clean things up, but rumors abound on the recruiting circles that Scott Drew is not exactly the cleanest of coaches and they are willing to do anything to win.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
"The coaches at Baylor said they can make him the Kevin Durant of Baylor."

Wow.
With all the flak Crean took from certain elements here every time he floated the name Dwyane Wade while recruiting, that's nothing compared to this statement (if true).
Heck, why stop at Kevin Durant? Why not aim higher?

"Mr. Maymon, what Albert Einstein was to physics, your son will be to Baylor."

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »

Wow.
With all the flak Crean took from certain elements here every time he floated the name Dwyane Wade while recruiting, that's nothing compared to this statement (if true).

Based on the quotes he made, I doubt he would know who A. Einstein was (or what physics is).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »

Wow.

Tell him he could as good as Lebron James.  Then when he goes 2 for 18 with 10 turnovers, he can say to the coach "you're right, I am as good as Lebron."

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
"schools will have to offer what Baylor and Iowa State are offering..."
Is this a line from Blue Chips, or what? Sounds like the kid is going to want a new tractor and $40,000 in cash.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »
"schools will have to offer what Baylor and Iowa State are offering..."
Is this a line from Blue Chips, or what? Sounds like the kid is going to want a new tractor and $40,000 in cash.

BRING OUT THE BLUE CHIPS REFERENCES AGAIN!

I heard he wants a maroon Lexus.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
BRING OUT THE BLUE CHIPS REFERENCES AGAIN!

I heard he wants a maroon Lexus.

And a tractor.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
If his father really expects him to start right away then Maymon wont be coming here in 09. Personally i think his father is having an inflated ego right now on the basis of so many new schools looking to recruit his son in the last couple of weeks. If he honestly is trying to use a couple of comments from no name schools like Baylor and Iowa State he has another thing coming.

In regards to MU I think that the best course of action is to continuee to recruit him strongly but i do see him having trouble since we already have erik williams and lazar for 09. Maybe Erik is a little more humble though and is willing to come off the bench for a year?

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
His Dad sounds a bit iffy, but Wes Sr. was no day at the beach. I would not worry a great deal about his Pops. Once a kid gets to school it is his gig.

I would never lie to recruit to get him but promising playing time should not be an issue. We need bodies in twelve months and hopefully onces as good as the ones they will be replaying. Getting Maymon to annouce for MU would be great step forward.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
Wes Sr?  I don't think Wes's dad was very involved if at all with his upbringing or his recuitment.  There was talk on the badger board that Wes's mom was making demands but I believe that was after Bo cooled on him. 

I have never heard  anything but compliments about Wes's mom from the MU side but then again she never went off in a public forum demanding playing time or this or that for her son so she seems to be consistent in taht regard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
Here's the translation, Maymon ain't coming to MU.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »
Here's the translation, Maymon ain't coming to MU.

funny how that's the same translation you've given for all the bigger recruits we're focusing on for 2009...

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »
Isn't it widely speculated that Maymom has serious academic issues?  I had heard some chatter from Madison Memorial that if the State tournmanent was a couple of weeks later that he would be out due to academics.  I have heard this several times from various sources.  FWIW

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
Isn't it widely speculated that Maymom has serious academic issues?  I had heard some chatter from Madison Memorial that if the State tournmanent was a couple of weeks later that he would be out due to academics.  I have heard this several times from various sources.  FWIW

But if Baylor offered he has to be fine acaemically?   ;)

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
But if Baylor offered he has to be fine acaemically?   ;)

you going there again?

man, you have a lot of time on your hands.
 ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
you going there again?

man, you have a lot of time on your hands.
 ::)

I make my time

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Why can't we offer someone who justs says YEAH - Marquette - thanks I'm in!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Daniel, thats why Buzz was hired, right?  Offer and get the "Yes sir, I am coming to MU"  Now we wait.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:14 PM »
Daniel, thats why Buzz was hired, right?  Offer and get the "Yes sir, I am coming to MU"  Now we wait.

And that's why recruits aren't jumping here, but are at IU.

As much as they may say, "It's Crean," the real reason is "It's Indiana. It's Indiana."

In other words, Buzz has his work cut out for him despite Wade, Diener, Novak, and three prominent seniors on his team.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
And that's why recruits aren't jumping here, but are at IU.

As much as they may say, "It's Crean," the real reason is "It's Indiana. It's Indiana."

In other words, Buzz has his work cut out for him despite Wade, Diener, Novak, and three prominent seniors on his team.

Especially since Buzz wasn't responsible for Wade, Diener, Novak, James, Matthews or McNeal.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
Thats right three prominent seniors, who all will be gone in 2009.  So he needs three prominent high school seniors, all of whom will contribute immediately and see significant playing time. Have one in Eric Williams, so lets see if the flat out recruiter Buzz can close the deal on Lacy, Wilson or Maymon. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
funny how that's the same translation you've given for all the bigger recruits we're focusing on for 2009...

That's right. These so called bigger recruits can do better than to trust their basketball futures with an unproven head coach. They're getting sniffs from established programs with a track record.
As for Maymon, his game is just what we need, his father, nobody needs.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
Why can't we offer someone who justs says YEAH - Marquette - thanks I'm in!

Erik Williams, four star recruit #44 in the nation

nyg

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »
Erik Williams, four star recruit #44 in the nation.

You bet.  Gave Buzz credit on that two threads before.  Now its the hometown kids.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
And a tractor.

I'll keep my eyes out for any of of Maymon clan rolling around in Madison on a new tractor.

Of course, that could also be my man 4never heading to a Village People concert too.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 08:54:29 PM »
I hope with all the recruiting expertise we have on staff now that we are working recruits like crazy and lining them up. . . we need to see some action!  I know Buzz plays the cards close, but I am starving for some great news. . .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:15:34 PM by Daniel »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 12:05:05 AM »
Of course, that could also be my man 4never heading to a Village People concert too.

As a spectator or a performer?  ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
As a spectator or a performer?  ;)

Both

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
Everybody now,

Y M C A

Next time you're in Madison, check out Ziggy. He's the guy having a box lunch at the Y.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
The dad sounds like a pain in the ass. If that was my kid I would never talk about his options and who is or isn't offering what. It's a family decision and it should stay that way. Trying to get glory off of your 16 year old kid is weird.
We Are Marquette

jce

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »
If his father really expects him to start right away then Maymon wont be coming here in 09. Personally i think his father is having an inflated ego right now on the basis of so many new schools looking to recruit his son in the last couple of weeks.

BTW, heard today from someone who would know, that UW at this point has no desire to offer Maymon both because of his dad and because they dont think he will qualify academically.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »

BTW, heard today from someone who would know, that UW at this point has no desire to offer Maymon both because of his dad and because they dont think he will qualify academically.
Makes a lot of sense, their first '09 commit was Mike Bruesewitz, a guy who plays Maymon's position.

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
If he isn't willing to come off of the bench his freshman year, he most likely doesn't belong with a solid team like Marquette, Tennessee, ISU, or USC.  Maybe he just has a father making every decision for him and demanding him to receive the spotlight right away.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
This kid sounds like a nightmare prospect..."run the offense" through him.  Gimme a break.  There is no I in TEAM...This kid's dad better wake up or he'll be sitting there wondering why a program can't recurit other players to play on a team with his boy...the kid they are "running the offense through" is going to have a hard time winning games without four other players to play with...especially in the Big East Mr. Maymon.

nola03

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »

At this point I'm sure there is no desire since they don't have a scholarship opening to offer.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »
I am on the "screw this guy" boat.  Tell me one successful program with a run-an-offense-through-a-freshmen.  The only team I have seen was K State and they weren't that successful.  I want a team that can develop into greatness.  I will not support a program that sells itself as a stage for 18 year old would-be-pros. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
Of course you do not run an offense through a freshman. But, to say screw a potential high recruit because his dad talked crazy is a bit extreme. Lets look at the kid for what the kid is, not his dad. If we were UNC or Kansas we could make decisions based on dad's.

We need to stay focused on the task at hand. How is bashing a kid or family online helping the recruiting process?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
I am on the "screw this guy" boat.  Tell me one successful program with a run-an-offense-through-a-freshmen.  The only team I have seen was K State and they weren't that successful.  I want a team that can develop into greatness.  I will not support a program that sells itself as a stage for 18 year old would-be-pros. 

Syracuse with Carmelo Anthony and Texas with Durant.

That said, and Baylor coaches notwithstanding, Maymon is not Durant, Beasley or Carmelo Anthony. That's what makes this so ludicrous. A top 5 national player can reasonably expect to start and play a major part in a team's offense.
A top 75?  ::)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
We need to stay focused on the task at hand. How is bashing a kid or family online helping the recruiting process?

Agreed - no need to bash.  I want Buzz to recruit the kid, be honest with him, and then let the process work itself out.

feedback