[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maurice Creek to IU  (Read 7716 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Maurice Creek to IU
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1977

"Maurice Creek, a shooting guard form South Kent, Conn., has given a verbal commitment to play for Indiana, according to John Decker from HoosierNation.com.

Decker has not posted more details about his conversation with Creek yet.

Creek, though, was in a very similar situation to the other player Crean recruited into his 2009 class, forward Bobby Capobianco.

Both players had been offered by Marquette and then were unsure of whether Crean would continue to recruit them when he got to Indiana. But he did, and both have now decided to commit.

Creek is a 6-4 guard most noted for his scoring ability. He is considered the 17th best player at his position in his class, according to Scout.com.

According to Rivals.com, he is the No. 12 shooting guard in the class and No. 63 player overall."

nyg

• All American
Re: Maurice Creek to IU
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
If this is true, it is getting alittle out of control.  Wow.  Creek is a bigtime shooter who would have really been an asset to the 2009 class.  Sort of shocked since no mention of IU ever came up with his recruiting and Nick Williams is also a shooting guard.  Guess the kids who were recruited by MU prior to TC leaving had a great relationship with the old staff.  Come on Buzz, time to step to the plate here. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »
Another 4 star recruit gone.

Ugggg
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »
what do you expect?

is TC gonna start recruiting anew just cause he's at a different univ?
abandon those he was pursuing at MU just cause it's now indiana, indiana?

nahh.
he's got the ears of these kids and they're obviously listening.

perhaps it's the easy way out, but he's effective nonetheless sashaying them out of the mu fold and into the crimson hell he's so happy to be a part of.

it's obvious that he was recruiting kids to play for him, not the university he's worked for.

it's a bummer.
but whatya gonna do....
 :-\

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
Yup, Crean's a bona fide bitch. 

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
It seems that the local recruits are still in play for MU.  Crean seems to have focused his energy on picking off the ones from faraway states. 

Edit: Jamil Wilson being the exception where Crean is all up in his business.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:18:26 PM by Wareagle »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1977

"Maurice Creek, a shooting guard form South Kent, Conn., has given a verbal commitment to play for Indiana, according to John Decker from HoosierNation.com.

Decker has not posted more details about his conversation with Creek yet.

Creek, though, was in a very similar situation to the other player Crean recruited into his 2009 class, forward Bobby Capobianco.

Both players had been offered by Marquette and then were unsure of whether Crean would continue to recruit them when he got to Indiana. But he did, and both have now decided to commit.

Creek is a 6-4 guard most noted for his scoring ability. He is considered the 17th best player at his position in his class, according to Scout.com.

According to Rivals.com, he is the No. 12 shooting guard in the class and No. 63 player overall."

I guess these kids are not buying into the sky is falling at IU. Crean will get ti done at IU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
He can offer playing time and he has them convinced he will turn them into the next D Wade.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »
If this is true, it is getting alittle out of control.  Wow.  Creek is a bigtime shooter who would have really been an asset to the 2009 class.  Sort of shocked since no mention of IU ever came up with his recruiting and Nick Williams is also a shooting guard.  Guess the kids who were recruited by MU prior to TC leaving had a great relationship with the old staff.  Come on Buzz, time to step to the plate here. 

What did you want Buzz to do?  When will you realize that kids committ to the coach and not the university?  For this same reason it will be difficult to land Wilson.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
I checked the blogs and the IU blogs are giddy they have a "four star" recruit.  The Pitt boards are saying they lost a "three star recruit."

When we get them we overvalue them.  When we lose them, we undervalue them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:41:26 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »
I checked the blogs and the IU blogs are giddy they have a "four star" recruit.  The Pitt boards are saying they lost a "three star recruit."

When we get them we overvalue them.  When we lose them, we undervalue them.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
He can offer playing time and he has them convinced he will turn them into the next D Wade.
Andy Katz is reporting that, according to sources close to the program, Tom Crean's 2008 IU team will be the first team in NCAA history to field 13 starters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Herein lies the fallicy in assuming the former assistant coach should be hired in order to hold things together.
No wonder Crean pushed for Buzz's hiring. He knew he could out-recruit him for the same kids.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »
I guess these kids are not buying into the sky is falling at IU. Crean will get itdone at IU.

What is "it" I ask again?  In three to five years they will be ranked 17 and finish second in the big ten and make round two of the tourney.  That will be a good season.  But is that "it"?

My bet is IU nation is not happy with this.  They want to be UNC, Duke or UCLA.  What I described above is not them.  

Crean will do to IU what he did to MU.  Remember that MU was ranked as high as 9th last season.  He will take years to get to what he had on March 31, but will he progress further than that?  I say no.

If you want to know why - weather.  No more elite teams will come from places that get snow in the winter.  Kansas will find this out when Self leaves.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »
No more elite teams will come from places that get snow in the winter.

Boomington is FAR different than Milwaukee in the winter.  In my four years there, I rarely wore a winter coat.  No, it is not Florida nor Arizona, but a snowfall of more that an inch or two of snow is an unusual event.  Also, no "lake effect" snow and no biting wind.  It is really not much different than Lexington or Louisville.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
Boomington is FAR different than Milwaukee in the winter.  In my four years there, I rarely wore a winter coat.  No, it is not Florida nor Arizona, but a snowfall of more that an inch or two of snow is an unusual event.  Also, no "lake effect" snow and no biting wind.  It is really not much different than Lexington or Louisville.

When talking about weather, their is Florida, North Carolina, Arizona California and "sucks."  Only people from the northern climate can differentiate between Bloomington and Milwaukee.

BTW, the next "elite" program will be (if it is not now) Florida under Donovan,

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 06:31:54 PM »
4ever Warriors---Of course Tommy wanted Buzz to get the job. In his mind Buzz is outmanned in recruiting against him. If Buzz gets Wilson no one will be more shocked than TC. TC stroked off Doc and Strong on how great Buzz was..this is big reason why Buzz got the gig.

Buzz is our guy now and he has to perform like a top flight coach ASAP. The recruits he brought or kept are NOT BE contending team players. Lets see what he does with the 4 or 5 star player in Racine.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
4ever Warriors---Of course Tommy wanted Buzz to get the job. In his mind Buzz is outmanned in recruiting against him. If Buzz gets Wilson no one will be more shocked than TC. TC stroked off Doc and Strong on how great Buzz was..this is big reason why Buzz got the gig.

Buzz is our guy now and he has to perform like a top flight coach ASAP. The recruits he brought or kept are NOT BE contending team players. Lets see what he does with the 4 or 5 star player in Racine.

Just looking at the MU recruits ....

Crean is gotten Nick Williams, Copobianco and Creek.  Buzz has kept Eric Williams, Fucle, Outle and added Bulter.  Both lost Taylor.

Who has done better?  I would argue Buzz as Eric Williams is the best of this lot.

And, as been said before, coaches recruit not schools.  Look no further than the exodus at IU.  They weren't Crean "boys" so they had no interest in staying.  So this "out recruit" Buzz is nonsense.  Only Jamil Williams is a program changer, they rest are nice top 100 guys, of which 99 others exist every year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »
What is "it" I ask again?  In three to five years they will be ranked 17 and finish second in the big ten and make round two of the tourney.  That will be a good season.  But is that "it"?

My bet is IU nation is not happy with this.  They want to be UNC, Duke or UCLA.  What I described above is not them.  

Crean will do to IU what he did to MU.  Remember that MU was ranked as high as 9th last season.  He will take years to get to what he had on March 31, but will he progress further than that?  I say no.

If you want to know why - weather.  No more elite teams will come from places that get snow in the winter.  Kansas will find this out when Self leaves.

Weather? no more elite teams in placers that get snow? that is about as stupid a comment as Bush's "mission accomplished".

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
Weather? no more elite teams in placers that get snow? that is about as stupid a comment as Bush's "mission accomplished".

Why?

Look at the top 25 over time.  I saw a blog that did a "geographical center" of the top 25 (end of season) over the last 25 years and it is moving south. 

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »
Just looking at the MU recruits ....

Crean is gotten Nick Williams, Copobianco and Creek.  Buzz has kept Eric Williams, Fucle, Outle and added Bulter.  Both lost Taylor.

Who has done better?  I would argue Buzz as Eric Williams is the best of this lot.

And, as been said before, coaches recruit not schools.  Look no further than the exodus at IU.  They weren't Crean "boys" so they had no interest in staying.  So this "out recruit" Buzz is nonsense.  Only Jamil Williams is a program changer, they rest are nice top 100 guys, of which 99 others exist every year.

Williams ain't here...  yet.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
I hope we are recruiting in stealth mode or something - we will need to land a significant player soon for 09, and see what's happening with the last 08 scholie.   We need to add to Erik Williams, and start to build a significant team.  Still time, sure, but one of these big names has to start leaning our way soon with a verbal commit. . .right?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 08:38:03 PM »
Maybe we can have a slew of posts now how Crean is going to fail at IU.    ::)

Get used to it folks....he will bring in a haul of 4 star and 5 stars at IU because...it's IU.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 08:40:52 PM »
This is what TC meant when he said "It's Indiana, It's Indiana".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
What is "it" I ask again?  In three to five years they will be ranked 17 and finish second in the big ten and make round two of the tourney.  That will be a good season.  But is that "it"?

My bet is IU nation is not happy with this.  They want to be UNC, Duke or UCLA.  What I described above is not them. 

Crean will do to IU what he did to MU.  Remember that MU was ranked as high as 9th last season.  He will take years to get to what he had on March 31, but will he progress further than that?  I say no.

If you want to know why - weather.  No more elite teams will come from places that get snow in the winter.  Kansas will find this out when Self leaves.

Another...you're wrong.  IU is first and foremost just trying to do it right...they'll give Crean 5 years just to straighten the ship out and not cheat.  Eventually they'll get frustrated, but what you keep missing is that he's going to have a lot of 4 and 5 star players going there, and they will get to a lot of places they used to go frequently.

If Crean can get little old MU to the NCAAs three straight years and get little old MU to the Final Four, imagine what he'll do playing in the joke that is the Big Ten, getting a #2 or #3 seed in the future along with 4 and 5 star talent?

feedback