[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Rosiak Article  (Read 12649 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: New Rosiak Article
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »
Why do you think if Buzz were smart, he'd hire an agent?  Please elaborate.  Do you not think Buzz will be compensated in the Top 10-15 coaches after this season?  Why give away roughly $100,000 per year to an "agent?"

Look what hiring an agent did for Mike Anderson.  My guess is that the back and forth lead to a significantly higher salary than the percentage that he gave in commission.

And agents are good for more than just salary.  They negotiate all sorts of things on behalf of their clients.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »
Pretty sure the deep pocketed alums of an OU, OSU, Arkansas, Texas or any other school will be glad to pay a $3.8M buyout if they can land Buzz.

At these schools, for Football ... not so sure about Basketball

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »

Look what hiring an agent did for Mike Anderson.  My guess is that the back and forth lead to a significantly higher salary than the percentage that he gave in commission.

And agents are good for more than just salary.  They negotiate all sorts of things on behalf of their clients.

Who is Pitino's agent?  Not for me.. uh.. er, for a... um... friend.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
True, but it's also because of who Buzz was and his limited experience (and he didn't have an agent).  The more prominent a coach, the lower the buyout is going to be, especially with an agent worth his salt.

If Buzz stays, that buyout is almost certain to go down...Buzz would be silly to have it remain that high because it kills a lot of flexibility for him down the road.

We are assuming that Buzz got nothing for the high buyout?  maybe he also negotiated a fat severance if MU was going to fire him?

Does anyone know that half of his contract?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
The buyout figure will not be an obstacle for any school who has targeted Buzz as their guy. Trust me on this, boosters have infinitely deep pockets. Cottingham says we should take Williams at his word. But, he hasn't said anything publically to defuse the situation. To address the issue at season's end, makes me squirm. Personally, I'm convinced he's leaving.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
This buyout ordeal is crazy...

Rosiak says $3.8 million

Carey Murdock (OU rivals) claims to have a "source" that's claiming it's $1.9 million. Typically, Murdock is spot-on, but he's a football guy first.

Mike Jones (Dallas Morning News) says $1.5 million.

Who to believe...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
This buyout ordeal is crazy...

Rosiak says $3.8 million

Carey Murdock (OU rivals) claims to have a "source" that's claiming it's $1.9 million. Typically, Murdock is spot-on, but he's a football guy first.

Mike Jones (Dallas Morning News) says $1.5 million.

Who to believe...

We would believe Rosiak as he has been the MU beat writer for nine years and wrote that after talking to the MU AD and Buzz directly.

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »
We would believe Rosiak as he has been the MU beat writer for nine years and wrote that after talking to the MU AD and Buzz directly.

That's my choice too. I doubt a guy in Dallas or Norman knows as much as a guy in and around the actual situation.

[Mu]EngiNerd

• Starter
  • BS08 MS10
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
It would be fiscally irresponsible for them to spend money in that fashion to get buzz...
they have to pay capel 1.5 mil
Buzz New slary ~2 mil
Buy out 3.8 mil

approx 7.3 mil next year.  for a program that is very high for 1 year to spend on coaches...

Look at Marquette program they bring in 13 million and spend 10 million a year. 
Oklahoma doesn't have that type of capital in their program and on top of being a state school they have to answer to tax payers about the extra money they spend.

I question the viability of this being true if the number are correct... just saying
One Nerd to Rule them All - Bears - Blackhawks - Bulls - Cubs - Golden Eagles

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
Capel's buyout is actually $2.2 mill.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
That's pretty ambitious $$$ if OU is struggling in attendance.   Might more be a pride thing for Joe C.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
I'm sure OU could get 2-3 alums to split the $3.8mill buy out, so that part wouldn't be taxpayer money.  But someone mentioned that Buzz just built a $2mill house - if I were Buzz I wouldn't move a mile unless someone were taking that obligation off my hands.

So, $5.8mill just to get a coach to agree to a $2mill salary.

Also, I'd be willing to bet any other beat writer is saying the buy out is less because "someone" has told them OU would be willing to pay a $1.5mill buy out, hoping MU would negotiate and lower the price.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
At these schools, for Football ... not so sure about Basketball

Agreed.  100%

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
If the need arises for MU to get a buyout I hope it is big. I am not so sure everyone's interest in the buyout. Other than MU getting some dough it really means little long term. I would rather MU retain Buzz and let OU pay a buyout to some other school. If OU gets Buzz and pays the money it shows how high their interest is in Buzz...here's hoping our interest matches theirs.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
I'm sure OU could get 2-3 alums to split the $3.8mill buy out, so that part wouldn't be taxpayer money.  But someone mentioned that Buzz just built a $2mill house - if I were Buzz I wouldn't move a mile unless someone were taking that obligation off my hands.

So, $5.8mill just to get a coach to agree to a $2mill salary.

You can't consider that $2 million house just a sunk cost.  It's an asset that, presumably, would be worth something in the vicinity of what they pay.  At the end of the day, the house likely would be a fairly insignificant cost.  Either they'd flip it and lose a bit (but not nearly $2 million), or they'd pay a fee to someone else to buy/sell it.  Of course, it is possible that they could flip it and turn a profit...unlikely, but possible.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
I'm sure OU could get 2-3 alums to split the $3.8mill buy out, so that part wouldn't be taxpayer money.

Any OU alum that owns a bunch of ford dealerships in Tulsa and OK City is not putting up that kind of money for BASKETBALL.  They want Bob Stoops and Landry Jones (starting QB) at meet and greets for that cash.

Buzz and a shooting guard no one has heard of is not getting that kind of money from OU alums... unless Blake Griffin pays.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
A couple more things I read from the article -

"I think the test every day is, 'Can you stay the same? Can you remove your ego from this and no matter what the media says and no matter what the money is or no matter what the title is, can you do right?' "

Well, if we take Buzz at his word, that means a lot.

To add on this, I think Buzz is a "mission" driven person.  It seems that his values mesh fairly nicely with the Jesuit tradition.  He knows, or is at least confident, that no matter where he goes he and, more importantly, his family will be taken care of in a financial sense, and the school will support putting a quality team on the court with excellent facilities. 

Now is Marquette the best fit for his values?  Could Oklahoma be better?  Anywhere else? 
As I mentioned above, I think Marquette agrees with his sensibilities.  And sure there are places that may have similar or even a more in-tune message with Buzz.  I don't see it in any of the current offerings out there.

If it were Texas, I'd shake his hand and wish him the best (as his apparent dream job).  But as someone mentioned, if he goes to Oklahoma, he'll never get to Texas.

I think he'll take his time with it and make the best decision for himself and his family.  I don't expect anything from him until two weeks after the Warriors win the Championship game.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
Any OU alum that owns a bunch of ford dealerships in Tulsa and OK City is not putting up that kind of money for BASKETBALL.  They want Bob Stoops and Landry Jones (starting QB) at meet and greets for that cash.

Buzz and a shooting guard no one has heard of is not getting that kind of money from OU alums... unless Blake Griffin pays.

Bingo and if they pay the $5 million plus to Buzz, they're idiots. Don't get me wrong, Buzz is heck of a coach and an even better guy, but it would be fiscal irresponsibility.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
You can't consider that $2 million house just a sunk cost.  It's an asset that, presumably, would be worth something in the vicinity of what they pay.  At the end of the day, the house likely would be a fairly insignificant cost.  Either they'd flip it and lose a bit (but not nearly $2 million), or they'd pay a fee to someone else to buy/sell it.  Of course, it is possible that they could flip it and turn a profit...unlikely, but possible.

True, but how silly would it seem for OU to be carrying an $2mill house in Milwaukee as an asset on their books for 1-2 years until it sells.  Or I'm sure they could take an immediate loss of 20-30% and sell it to some realty company.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
It would be fiscally irresponsible for them to spend money in that fashion to get buzz...
they have to pay capel 1.5 mil
Buzz New slary ~2 mil
Buy out 3.8 mil

approx 7.3 mil next year.  for a program that is very high for 1 year to spend on coaches...

Look at Marquette program they bring in 13 million and spend 10 million a year. 
Oklahoma doesn't have that type of capital in their program and on top of being a state school they have to answer to tax payers about the extra money they spend.

I question the viability of this being true if the number are correct... just saying

Adjusting for the correct Capel figure, that puts the first-year price tag at about $8 million. For a program that generated less than $9 million in total revenue last year, according to the U.S. Dept. of Education.

As for the "deep-pocketed boosters" argument, it's true that there are some. The question is, do any of those deep-pocketed really care enough about OU basketball to spend millions of dollars (in this economy, no less) to hire a guy they've most likely never heard of until this week? This ain't exactly T. Boone Pickens making a run at Bill Self or Phil Knight trying to get Tubby Smith or Mark Few. I mean, maybe the money is there. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
Bingo and if they pay the $5 million plus to Buzz, they're idiots. Don't get me wrong, Buzz is heck of a coach and an even better guy, but it would be fiscal irresponsibility.

Agree with you.  Frankly, Buzz works his azz off and would recruit very well at OU but he's recruited well here too and  we're sitting on 14 losses and the defense has looked terrible for parts of the year.  Not sure he's proven he's worth mad money yet.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
Two things my Dad taught me a long time ago..don't count other people's money and unless they borrow from you how they spend it is not anyone's business. To assume that wealthy alumni on OK would not put money in ball program is crazy. In addition, I think if we are talking about car dealers in OK not spending money we should wonder if MU has any car dealers as big donor.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
Two things my Dad taught me a long time ago..don't count other people's money and unless they borrow from you how they spend it is not anyone's business. To assume that wealthy alumni on OK would not put money in ball program is crazy. In addition, I think if we are talking about car dealers in OK not spending money we should wonder if MU has any car dealers as big donor.

Dick Strong is our car dealer

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Buzz should read Matthew 4, verses 8-10.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the OU AD seems too confident/head strong to let anyone thinking "this is just basketball" to get in his way.  I could see him using football as the carrot to get alumni to further his basketball cause.  

feedback