[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Maymon Article  (Read 1215 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
New Maymon Article
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
Here's a new profile piece on Jeronne from the Madison paper.  As has been said before, he seems to be doing great academically.

Prep Huddle: Maymon ready for the spotlight

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/other/314758

He is the highest-profile athlete on one of the highest-profile teams in the highest profile WIAA sport —  a collection of attention that might be too much for most high school athletes.

But Madison Memorial boys basketball standout Jeronne Maymon has shown us he isn't like most high school athletes. And, after running it by him the other day, Maymon was comfortable with the idea that more eyes will be glued to his every move than just about any other player in Wisconsin.

"Definitely," Maymon said last week after signing his national letter of intent to attend Marquette next fall.

"When I'd see (past) seniors playing, I'm like 'My senior year I'm going to go way harder than they're going.' When you're a senior, you can't sit back and wait. You have to play hard every possession."

To his credit, Maymon has done everything asked of him to give himself the chance to make sure his senior season will be one to remember.

Off the court, Maymon honored his vow to put classwork ahead of basketball after last season and — with the help of a tutor — improve his study habits and his grades. Those around him say Maymon is enjoying the best academic semester of his career.

On the court, Maymon is using the sting of the Spartans' overtime loss to Wauwatosa East in last year's WIAA Division 1 state title game to motivate another team loaded with talent. And they couldn't ask for a more focused young man to lead that effort.

"He's been a changed person in the last 12 months," Memorial coach Steve Collins said. "You can see that his focus has changed. You're seeing a different young man, since the state finals, to be honest with you."

School comes first

Mary Flynn knows how important basketball can seem to someone Maymon's age, but she also knows that basketball careers have a short shelf life.

Her twin sons Kevin and Patrick were successful high school players at Middleton before graduating in 2007. Kevin plays at UW-Stevens Point; Matt gave up basketball to pursue a degree at the University of Wisconsin.

"I tell (Jeronne) all the time, 'You're an injury away from this being all done, so you need something else,' " said Flynn, a special education teacher at Memorial and a case worker who is assigned to monitor the academic progress of students with learning disabilities.

Flynn, the case worker for Maymon and his brother Devonte, stood at the back of the room the other day when Maymon signed his letter of intent. But, in many ways, she might be the Spartans' preseason MVP.

While Maymon was never in danger of missing playing time this season due to poor grades, his grade-point average in his core classes needed a boost to avoid academic roadblocks on his way to Marquette. Flynn reports progress there — "He's on the right track; he's doing what he needs to do," she said — and believes Maymon's new approach to school will serve him well once he's in college.

"His study habits changed," Flynn said. "He's never late for assignments. He studies for tests. He goes to the resource center like he's supposed to.

"He knows I'm a big sports fan; my family does that. But that's second. School's first."

Maymon has also become more visible in the increasingly troubled hallways at Memorial and more outspoken about the violence at the school.

"I told him he needs to be more of a role model," said Tim Maymon, Jeronne's father. "You know kids are acting up. Most kids look up to you so you have to be the one that says, 'Man, that's not OK.' You have to come out and say 'I'm against that.' ... Most kids will draw back and say, 'Hey, Jeronne's right. Why don't we do something productive instead of ... destructive.'"

To be someone great

Jeronne Maymon might be a changed person, but so much about the 6-foot-7, 230-pound forward remains the same.

His mother, Latanya, is still the one who keeps her high-flying son grounded. His father is still the one who will be seen — and heard — "advocating" for his son at all of Memorial's games.

"Just because he's signed a letter of intent doesn't mean I have to ease up,'' said Tim Maymon, whose reputation as a vocal parent is well-known.

Jeronne Maymon said: "He can get crazy sometimes, but that's my dad. Other kids probably wouldn't be able to handle his enthusiasm and the way he talks to people when it comes to me. But I can. ... I know he means well in everything he says and I love him."

In fact, the son's ability to handle his father's expectations might be just the training required to handle the expectations that are sure to shadow Memorial all season.

Not only do the Spartans bring back Maymon, but they have several other players with Division I potential. They include junior guards Vander Blue, who has already orally committed to UW; and Tre Creamer; and freshman Junior Lomomba, a highly touted 6-3 forward whose uncle is former Badger Hennssy Auriantal.

"Not many high schools get to have a good group of guys like that," said Maymon, who described his role as "the general out there commanding the younger players" and someone who wants to boost his stats "in every category" — a lofty goal for a guy who averaged 21 points and 11.7 rebounds per game as a junior.

"I used to take breaks my junior, sophomore and freshman year," Maymon said. "Senior season, you won't see any of that. ... I have to play like the player I want to be and I want to be someone great one day."