[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 28161 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
The US was nowhere near average in the England match, you may be the only person to thinks so.

Speaking of Iran, the press conference earlier today was...something.

https://twitter.com/cboehm/status/1597199260478472193?s=20&t=06UcU_2C1GF8hheDhYF7KA

Also asking Berhalter questions about inflation and the US having a warship off the coast of Iran.  Just wild.

Ggg can’t even figure out how to integrate Reyna into the team. How will he answer a complex geopolitical question lol.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2022, 12:01:57 PM »
The US was nowhere near average in the England match, you may be the only person to thinks so.

https://twitter.com/cboehm/status/1597199260478472193?s=20&t=06UcU_2C1GF8hheDhYF7KA

Also asking Berhalter questions about inflation and the US having a warship off the coast of Iran.  Just wild.

US Soccer did him or Adams no favors by pulling that stunt with the Iranian flag like they did. Completely gutless move at the exact wrong time. Zero reason to give Iran any extra motivation or reason to become a victim. Zero reason to put your own guys on the spot when you know they are going to be meeting with Iranian media today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »
The issue with this is Reyna has never played with this personnel. Famously, the US has never had a full run of Reyna, Pulisic, Adams, McKennie in the same game. So in the games you remember Reyna is playing out of position as a result or being tasked with elements that he's not equipped to provide, which is a managerial issue. He's coming up short because he's playing with second rate teammates.

Not playing your best players, when they are healthy, in the World Cup is a bizarre decision made by people who have limited vision. And, frankly, it isn't a matter of whether GGregeggge accomplishes more or the same as previous managers. But basing that on the US beating Iran(!!!) when they've been average the first two games shows we have an expectations issue.

So he should be judged differently than other US coaches because he hasn’t played your favorite player enough minutes?

I don’t care if he gets out of the group with eleven MLS players. If they win tomorrow, he did his job. If they don’t, it’s a disappointment.

Also, Iran is a pretty good side. The US should be able to get the three points they need, but Iran is favored to advance for a reason.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »

US Soccer did him or Adams no favors by pulling that stunt with the Iranian flag like they did. Completely gutless move at the exact wrong time. Zero reason to give Iran any extra motivation or reason to become a victim. Zero reason to put your own guys on the spot when you know they are going to be meeting with Iranian media today.

USSF have been clowns leading up to and during the WC. I feel bad for the staff snd team having to take the arrows for their actions.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2022, 12:41:36 PM »

Yea it was incredibly dumb, as USSF normally is.  Adams handled it beautifully.  Lucky to have him as a representative for the squad.

Hilarious stone throwing from glass houses from the Iran government media shills though.  They were doing it to Ream and Zimmerman in a different press conference too.  Asking where they were when Iran beat the US in 1998.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2022, 07:02:03 PM »

We may have upset some of the Iranian Federation, but I'm not sure it will provide further motivation to the players. They protested their own country by refusing to sing their own anthem in the opener, and reportedly only sang before their second match because of threats from the Iranian government. Who knows what motivations will work, but I'm not convinced this is a big deal beyond the headlines.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »

40% of the ball, one shot on target, missing an open net, playing an opposition whose CB was the most dangerous attacker on the field is average.

I understand people lost their minds on England because of the Iran match but England has been downright bleh for 15 months. I was in the stadium when the US did the same thing to England in 2010 and the reaction at the time, rightly, was how poor must England have been to be drawn by that team.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
So he should be judged differently than other US coaches because he hasn’t played your favorite player enough minutes?

I don’t care if he gets out of the group with eleven MLS players. If they win tomorrow, he did his job. If they don’t, it’s a disappointment.

Also, Iran is a pretty good side. The US should be able to get the three points they need, but Iran is favored to advance for a reason.

Reyna isn't my favorite player. He's the most talented guy on the roster and he's not playing. That's the issue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »
40% of the ball, one shot on target, missing an open net, playing an opposition whose CB was the most dangerous attacker on the field is average.

I understand people lost their minds on England because of the Iran match but England has been downright bleh for 15 months. I was in the stadium when the US did the same thing to England in 2010 and the reaction at the time, rightly, was how poor must England have been to be drawn by that team.

Not sure where your stats are from.  US had 45% possession, 2 SOG, 10 attempts to England's 8.  7 corners to England's 3.  Deciding to diminish Kane, Bellingham, and Sterling as mediocre instead of complimenting the US gameplan and defending is agenda pushing nonsense.

This England team is WAY more talented than 2010.  Look at that attack outside of Rooney.  Crouch, Hesky, Dafoe.  Not even remotely the same.  US got a fluke goal in that match and was thoroughly outplayed.  That wasn't the case on Friday.

You don't like Gregggg, we get it.  Neither do I.  That doesn't mean you have to slight everything about this squad.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2022, 11:32:33 AM »
I'm not sure how anyone could watch that game and think the US didn't perform well. They pressed well. Made Kane recieve the ball deeper than he wanted to. Kept Bellingham in check. Looked dangerous for the first hour until the legs faded.

If Pulisic's shot hits the underside of the bar and goes in, and the US wins 1-0 it would have been plenty deserved.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2022, 11:55:04 AM »
Reyna isn't my favorite player. He's the most talented guy on the roster and he's not playing. That's the issue.

I disagree that he's the most talented guy on the team. But if we're in need of a goal with 30 minutes left, I hope he comes on.

Who would you start him over? Weah?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2022, 11:56:36 AM »
CCV?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
CCV?

Its a surprise, but I'll take an experienced athletic CB who has made his living in rough and tumble English football against a team like Iran.  I don't love Zimmerman, and after the Wales challenge, I'm not broken up about not having him in there in critical moments.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2022, 01:50:28 PM »
Weah should have at least two goals by now.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
Outstanding half, Dest and Robinson have been excellent, McKennie with two great balls, Adams being Adams. Thought we’d get a second before half, I’d like to see that offsides call. Need to get one more, I feel.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2022, 02:07:51 PM »
That offside is going to loom large, isn't it?

In live action, I was more worried about Dest being offside on the first goal. Obviously, after seeing the replay, that was onside.

Weah's offside was soooooooo close.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2022, 02:24:57 PM »
That offside is going to loom large, isn't it?

In live action, I was more worried about Dest being offside on the first goal. Obviously, after seeing the replay, that was onside.

Weah's offside was soooooooo close.
Wales.

Off by a knee.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
I’ve been critical of Ream for years, but he’s been fantastic all cup. Positioning, composure, leadership at the back, well done thus far

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
I need a cigarette.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2022, 03:04:26 PM »
Whew!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2022, 03:04:45 PM »
I’ve been critical of Ream for years, but he’s been fantastic all cup. Positioning, composure, leadership at the back, well done thus far

Same.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2022, 03:07:03 PM »
Well done Ream, well done midfield, they were gassed

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »
The Netherlands on Saturday.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2022, 03:09:09 PM »
Here's why I struggle to enjoy watching soccer.  To me it looks like there are opportunities to take a shot, and of course not everything is going to be on target or get past a goalie, especially when you're further out.  But to me that seems like a better scoring opportunity than passing it around between 3 offensive players and about 5 defenders and trying to sneak something through 15 humans that gets past the goalie.

And then you see the end of this game and the one time you DON'T want to go and score, when you could dribble into a corner, pass to a streaking teammate, etc., you go and try to score, giving Iran a chance to tie it?  Just seemed dumb.  And then rather than trying to make a play the Iranian player just takes a dive hoping for a whistle that doesn't come and it ends the game.  It's like watching Harden and Embiid play basketball.  They're not actually trying to score, they're just trying to bate the ref into a whistle so they can go score at the line/a PK.

Seems like the Netherlands are the trendy pick to win it all.

feedback