'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Quick Knee Jerk Reaction Thoughts....  (Read 3837 times)

MUCam

• All American
Quick Knee Jerk Reaction Thoughts....
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »
(1) What a heart-breaker for James. Not just for how it affects MU going down the stretch, but more so, for how it affects this young man's life. You really have to feel for him.

(2) An all around great effort by the boys. A couple silly decisions down the stretch doomed us, although we really couldn't consistently stop UConn at any point in the game.

(3) Acker did an admirable job in relief of James, but his defensive deficiencies demonstrate why he is not a full-time starting Big East point guard. It is no coincidence that James goes out and Price goes off.

(4) From the "no sh*t sherlock" category, we need size. Desperately.

(5) I hate questioning officiating, but there were at least 3 blatantly wrong calls that went against MU today. I am not talking about "bang-bang" plays that could go either way, but clear officiating mistakes. What a shame to have that happen in as close a game as this one.

(6) Is Hazel done? I cannot think of any reasonable or legitimate reason for his complete lack of playing time recently. His length and athleticism (which I think he shows from time to time) could have helped against Robinson. Its not like he played terrible early in the year when called upon. I just don't understand how he doesn't get playing time, unless there is something more going on.

(7) Just to reiterate. I cannot state enough how absolutely heart-breaking James' injury is for James. MU season be damned, this kid didn't deserve this ending to a great career. Life can definitely be cruel.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Quick Knee Jerk Reaction Thoughts....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
Heartbreaking is right.  Also we can now see the effects of limited playing time for our bench.  We ran out of gas.  I would think that some playing time by the subs would benefit us in the long run.  Hazel has played well in the past, maybe he has given up in practice.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
(2) An all around great effort by the boys. A couple silly decisions down the stretch doomed us, although we really couldn't consistently stop UConn at any point in the game.

I think one of the turning points is when we were up one, with about seven to go, and Matthews took a quick out of control shot real early into the possession.  I think UConn scored on the next posession and we never lead again.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
I don't think we're seeing the effects of limited playing time for our bench.   We're seeing the effects of big heart but not BE talent level.  

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

I think one of the turning points is when we were up one, with about seven to go, and Matthews took a quick out of control shot real early into the possession.  I think UConn scored on the next posession and we never lead again.

Not only was it early, but it was on a 4 on 3 break.  Oh well.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:25:03 PM »
I don't think we're seeing the effects of limited playing time for our bench.   We're seeing the effects of big heart but not BE talent level.  

Disagree.  We have BE talent, just not at all five positions like UConn.  Our legs were gone at the end of the game, Jerel and Wes came up short, and we just could not get into good position on D.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
(6) Is Hazel done? I cannot think of any reasonable or legitimate reason for his complete lack of playing time recently.

What about Cubillan? With DJ out, and Acker having not played those kinds of minutes since who know when (maybe Ball State), it shocks me that Cubillan didn't even get on the floor.

Acker will have his opportunity to show his stuff when it counts, but it appears to me that Cubillan's playing time this year (and next?) is gone gone gone.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
What about Cubillan? With DJ out, and Acker having not played those kinds of minutes since who know when (maybe Ball State), it shocks me that Cubillan didn't even get on the floor.

Acker will have his opportunity to show his stuff when it counts, but it appears to me that Cubillan's playing time this year (and next?) is gone gone gone.

He's having shoulder problems in both of his shoulders, which has affected his shot big time

My assumption is that his shot has not yet recovered and that Buzz does not feel we are better with him on the court compared to others (Acker)

Norm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
Two other thoughts:

1. Calhoun totally worked the refs in his favor. That is what good coaches do, and it worked for them tonight. Took a lot after the T for the refs to blow the whistle against, while MU was whistled for everything.

2. Timeouts were a huge factor in the game. Calhoun called them every time MU got even a little run, while Buzz let UConn go on at least 3 runs without calling time out. The 16-0 run in the 1st half was ridiculous. When the game was tied 74-74 UConn got two quick field goals to go up 78-74. I thought MU should have called time out then just to settle things down, but Buzz waited until it was 81-74 or 83-74, and after that it was pretty much over.

I think Buzz has done a good job this year, but I hope he learned how to manage the game with timeouts a little better tonight.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
He's having shoulder problems in both of his shoulders, which has affected his shot big time

My assumption is that his shot has not yet recovered and that Buzz does not feel we are better with him on the court compared to others (Acker)

No argument on his shot, though Acker was no better this year on offense until his 2 threes tonight. My thinking had more to do with energy and stamina. Acker, along with others, got tired tonight. Cubillan used to be known for his defense too, almost as much as his shot. Why didn't he get a chance to shut down Price?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »
Two other thoughts:

1. Calhoun totally worked the refs in his favor. That is what good coaches do, and it worked for them tonight. Took a lot after the T for the refs to blow the whistle against, while MU was whistled for everything.

2. Timeouts were a huge factor in the game. Calhoun called them every time MU got even a little run, while Buzz let UConn go on at least 3 runs without calling time out. The 16-0 run in the 1st half was ridiculous. When the game was tied 74-74 UConn got two quick field goals to go up 78-74. I thought MU should have called time out then just to settle things down, but Buzz waited until it was 81-74 or 83-74, and after that it was pretty much over.

I think Buzz has done a good job this year, but I hope he learned how to manage the game with timeouts a little better tonight.

Agree, especially with the time-outs. It has been discussed before, but Buzz needs to be better with his time-outs. The 16-0 run in the first half should have been a time-out at 8-0 or 10-0. Buzz is a little slow with that trigger. He'll learn, hopefully. It all comes with experience.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Regarding timeouts, I actually feel like Buzz responded pretty well to that in a recent interview (sorry I can't remember where or provide a link), but he said that his strategy is basically to rely on the leadership of his seniors. He trusts them, and gives them 'ownership' of the game by not intervening at whim (like another recent coach?). When I read it, it made sense, though tonight--without DJ during UConn's runs--stepping in might've been valuable. Then again, that's the tone he's set with this team, tonight may not have been the time to change it. Now that DJ is out, perhaps Buzz will adjust his approach.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
by not intervening at whim
This is known as coaching. Buzz does not coach, he merely gets out of the way and lets his outstanding players "do their thing."

Now we'll find out if Buzz can actually coach when he needs to. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
First off...its over for MU. Acker may be able to man the PG position offensively, but the guy James would have been guarding went off for 35 pts tonight. When is the last time a guard torched us for that many points? James plays, we win no doubt. With our lack of size, his defense and rebounding is what is going to be the killer, let alone the offesnive downgrade.

Second the Calhoun comments. He was the man tonight, no doubt. He continued to work the refs even after he got a call. Team fouls were 7-3 in favor if MU at that point, UConn beat MU to the super bonus at 10-8. That's what 900 wins will get you. He earns every penny!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »

Disagree.  We have BE talent, just not at all five positions like UConn.  Our legs were gone at the end of the game, Jerel and Wes came up short, and we just could not get into good position on D

With DJ out MU's first 5 will include 2 MAC quality starters. Our bench has been reduced to 1 Big East player. Before DJ's injury we were playing with less margin for error than any decent team in Division 1. Now we have no margin for error period. I love this team's heart but every team we play from here on out will have a decided advantage at 2 starting positions and on the bench. If we win 2 more games (including both the BEast and NCAA tourneys) it will be a terrific accomplishment.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »
knee jerk reaction:

NO MORE DWIGHT BURKE!!! I don't care who should come off our bench but someone needs to be put in his role.

I would love to think that we might try running the point with Jerel or Wes or Rob because Mo is crap too

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Mo is crap too

That *is* a knee  jerk reaction.  We played #2 close all night - until the last few minutes.  Without James for 35+ minutes.  Mo is not crap.  Watch the game again.

I contend we would have lost the game without James.

I feel terrible for James.  But Marquette's season is NOT over.  Bookmark this post.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:35 PM »
I will watch the game 1000 times. I will watch every game Mo appeared in a thousand times and I will ALWAYS SAY THIS:

Tom Crean taking a 5'2'' guard from Ball state was a bad move.

With that being said if he can come off the bench to play 10 minutes he's ... fine?... but as a starter he is useless

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »
At this point Ari, you shown your lack of basketball acumen well enough. I think you can probably call it an evening.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Mo acutally hit a shot for the first time in 7 weeks! why shouldn't I be a) upset and b) concerned for the last 3 games and tournaments?

imagine if we used Mo's scholarship for a big man. We might not have been out-rebounded by 20.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »
Ari - Mo is not 5'2".   That's where you look lik a dumb #$%$^&

Look at his stats tonight.  2-2, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0 turnovers, and a steal.

No, take a few deep breaths (or swigs of beer), and stop posting.  For your own sake.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
and how many screens was he burned on? How was he at keeping players in front of him?

I will say this: The student section brought it. They were impressive as hell. At the office all day every news break mentioned them out in front the BC since 715. You felt them get disheartened and UConn did their best to take them out of it, but as soon as the team had some life, the fans were up on their feet and they were loud. I tip my hat to the Snuggie fan. I once suggested that idea to some friends, but he putting that into practice was phenominal. I heard that the entire (nearly) lower bowl and half the upper bowl was filled by the 430 doors opening.
I feel sorry for the ones that didnt get to make an ash wednesday service. I heard some tried to lobby a S.J. to come out and admister. 

Those students deserve the most gratitude. Great job tonight Students!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
I will say this: The student section brought it. They were impressive as hell. At the office all day every news break mentioned them out in front the BC since 715. You felt them get disheartened and UConn did their best to take them out of it, but as soon as the team had some life, the fans were up on their feet and they were loud. I tip my hat to the Snuggie fan. I once suggested that idea to some friends, but he putting that into practice was phenominal. I heard that the entire (nearly) lower bowl and half the upper bowl was filled by the 430 doors opening.
I feel sorry for the ones that didnt get to make an ash wednesday service. I heard some tried to lobby a S.J. to come out and admister. 

Those students deserve the most gratitude. Great job tonight Students!

+1.  The students were absolutely on fire tonight.  From the "We Want Riley" chant at Dashonte Riley pregame, the dime signs with Calhoun's face on them, and the "How Much Money?" chant, the students really did their HW on this game. 

Let's see what they can bring for Syracuse.  We're going to need them one last time.
The General has taken on a new command.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:41 AM »