[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So Proud  (Read 3186 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
So Proud
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »
I know there are no moral victories, but for this team to hang in like they have tonight without DJ says a lot about these guys. Couldn't be more proud of them. They put it all out there tonight. This next week could get ugly. Hopefully they can continue to hang in there, you know they'll fight, and try to get that Syracuse game at least.

This sucks big time though.

ecompt

• All American
Re: So Proud
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
They absolutely played their butts off, and we can be proud they represented MU so well. Congrats to all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
No DJ, no rebounds, no calls, no D on Pryce.    No lack of heart or effort.   Kudos.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »
With DJ out for a while most likely, this could get ugly fast. A shame because this team had so much upside as the season went on. Final 4 was a big possibility

They fought very hard tonight and were right in it going into the last couple minutes. Have to give them credit. Nice fight.

In the end it's real hard to overcome getting out rebounded by almost 20 boards... somehow they were right in it. A couple of shots fall, a couple of whistles aren't blown (or are) and it's a different outcome.

Nice game

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »
The four seniors on this team are special and this is no way for them to go out.  Let's hope DJ can make a quick comeback and this special senior class can end the season and their college careers on the court.  Hell of a way to battle back tonight.  I've told a lot of people this season but this is my favorite all time Marquette team... so much heart!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »
The four seniors on this team are special and this is no way for them to go out.  Let's hope DJ can make a quick comeback and this special senior class can end the season and their college careers on the court.  Hell of a way to battle back tonight.  I've told a lot of people this season but this is my favorite all time Marquette team... so much heart!

Depending on the fracture he's looking at 4-12 weeks...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Hopefully he can get back in four weeks.   If not it's been a great run, I'm grateful for what they've given, it's been a heck of a year already.  

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
Looked to me like we were running on fumes the last 5 minutes--some forced shots purely out of fatigue. Still, they kept fighting their asses off. Those three point plays caused by reaching on D instead of moving feet also likely had  lot to do with fatigue. Acker played hard throughout--he must have been gassed big time. No Cubi at all says a lot. Hazel must be done for the year too.

Butler a bright spot yet again. It really is amazing the late season injury bug has bitten us again--3 times-enough already!!!!!

Bet Buzz sheds some tears tonight--I may too.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Not to change the tone of the thread as I know it is sentimental in nature but this is why we can't recruit great one class and then take the next three years off.   I know Buzz knows this but man this sucks.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »
Tremendous effort until last four minutes.  They actually look tired and exhausted, with bad shots in the last seven/eight possessions.   Will be tough to play with Buzz only letting six players get on the court.  No Cube, Hazel, Fulce and Otule.  Can't understand why they are even on the bench, but....

UCONN just destroyed us on boards, over 20 differential?  Price was really good with a career night.  

It would have been a story-book win, but they tried their best with what they have.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
Very Proud of this team. A Ton of heart. UConn is loaded with talent. All that size wore us out. Never would of thought Price would kill us like that! Jerel had to volume shoot to keep us in it. I just hate losing, especially to them.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »
Outstanding effort, we just ran out of gas.  UConn is a great team with talent and size at every position.  Price is amazing, a little punkish with the stare down, but really good.  We gave it all we could.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »
This game showed that we have one major liability that will eventually be our downfall.  No frontcourt size.  Eventually we will run into a UConn-type team and it's game over.  I don't know if it will be in the Final 32, Sweet 16 or later, but eventually it is why we will lose.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
The loss of DJ will be much more than for his great D and taking care of the ball. I really believe he was a big factor in MU holding our own on the boards all year. His hops forced people to account for him on the boards, which helped a lot. A lot of our boards seem to come off taps and one guy boxing someone out so another can get the board. DJ was a big part of that. Through no fault of his, Acker can't give that.  

Sweet 16 would be a huge accomplishment for this team at this point. This blows big time.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
This game showed that we have one major liability that will eventually be our downfall.  No frontcourt size.  Eventually we will run into a UConn-type team and it's game over.  I don't know if it will be in the Final 32, Sweet 16 or later, but eventually it is why we will lose.

Not too many teams like UConn.  The DJ loss is dabilitating.  We went from a top 10 PG in the country for 38 mpg to a below average PG.  Couple that with no size inside and we are in deep trouble.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »
Not to change the tone of the thread as I know it is sentimental in nature but this is why we can't recruit great one class and then take the next three years off.   I know Buzz knows this but man this sucks.

In all fairness, 3 years were not taken off.

We had a very solid class coming in this year, only to see Crean leave and some recruits not wanting to come. That's tough to get over first of all.

Also, it's very hard to recruit a top class after you recruit one the year ahead of it. This is why you see Buzz having a tougher time to recruit a 2010 class since 2009 is so good. You've got some very great players coming in. Good luck getting a top recruit to sign in 2010 knowing 2009 has starters at your position already. "You will be our 6th man until you're a senior" doesn't fly real well with some top recruits who want to play and want to do well to increase their chances of furthering their careers.

Our senior class is incredible. Our Junior class had potential coming in, but Coobie has shoulder problems, Acker did a good job tonight, and Zar is great.

After that we're looking slim mostly due to transfers.

So I do agree, that you can't "take 3 years off" but at the same time you can't expect to land a top SG recruit when you recruited 2 top recruits the year ahead of him. Usually you  can get away with taking 1 year off between top classes, but that's taking for granted everyone stays

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »
In all fairness, 3 years were not taken off.

We had a very solid class coming in this year, only to see Crean leave and some recruits not wanting to come. That's tough to get over first of all.

Also, it's very hard to recruit a top class after you recruit one the year ahead of it. This is why you see Buzz having a tougher time to recruit a 2010 class since 2009 is so good. You've got some very great players coming in. Good luck getting a top recruit to sign in 2010 knowing 2009 has starters at your position already. "You will be our 6th man until you're a senior" doesn't fly real well with some top recruits who want to play and want to do well to increase their chances of furthering their careers.

Our senior class is incredible. Our Junior class had potential coming in, but Coobie has shoulder problems, Acker did a good job tonight, and Zar is great.

After that we're looking slim mostly due to transfers.

So I do agree, that you can't "take 3 years off" but at the same time you can't expect to land a top SG recruit when you recruited 2 top recruits the year ahead of him. Usually you  can get away with taking 1 year off between top classes, but that's taking for granted everyone stays

It happens all the time at some schools.   And we're trying to get to that level,  take Kemba Walker for example just tonight.  Guys aren't as afraid of competition as you make it out.   Regardless, you have a point in Tyshawn would be here but still you've got to do better in year one and two as a follow up to the three amigos, for bench depth.   

It's all water under the bridge now, but this is why I hope Buzz is taking a pg in '10 despite Cadougan being here. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:30:59 PM by Stone Cold »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
Eventually we will run into a UConn-type team and it's game over. 

Have to agree with CT here - there's only one team like UConn this year.  I guess you could argue Pitt is similar -but not many teams in the country can match up with those two.

Regardless of players tonight - the result was about what I expected.  If the guys can pull through (and Acker gets his confidence back), we'll be ok.  Still, hard to imagine how hard it was for James to just sit there and watch as the game slipped away.  Looks like he'll need to transition (yet again) from team leader, to PG mentor.

feedback